RemedySpot.com

Re: The Kitchen Sink

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In one of Jung's last publications he wrote " 'The more uncertain I have felt about myself, the more there has grown up in me a feeling of kinship with all things. In fact, it seems to me as if that alienation which so long separated me from the world has become transferred into my own inner world, and has revealed to me an unexpected unfamiliarity with myself."

To attempt to humbly interpret this quote and apply this insight to the current topics including the individual/collective,introspection,social consciousness/action and nature of reality might one conclude, that in his final days of accumulated wisdom, Jung may have felt more of a kinship w/others(indeed all things),the world outside, and more alienation within himself. Thus, might he have progressed from years of intense introversion and development of his own life path toward communion w/ community,the collective, as he advanced in age and in his considerable wisdom ?

Introspection is an elemental part of the human development process as are relationships,connection w/ the collective( relationships, social activism as indicated, etc.). Unless one is of the extreme view that there is no objective reality,and conclusive scientific data doesn't support this presently (not implying it isn't true), but if it appears there is considerable evidence of human suffering,then perhaps one might connect w/ the world as Jung did,in the end, and develop a "kinship with all things", and thereby initiate change in that which we may change, given our individual talents,gifts, and circumstances.

The other possibility may be to say I'm projecting all, and therefore changing my mindset is what I must do to alleviate suffering. The suffering of others thereby remains generally unaddressed. It seems to me that rather a combination of introspection,development of one's own path, compassion/connection, service, positive thinking and dealing w/ reality as it appears to be and also as it may be (ie projection,thus need for positive thoughts), might be the best of all possibilities? And while this may be a "kitchen sink" approach,and not a purest approach, the matters at hand are rather complex and call for a repertoire of thoughts,feelings,behaviors in determining how to effectively relate to oneself and the world at large.

Beauty,tragedy,joy,sorrow,wisdom as well as a profound lack of insight can permeate any human soul,on any given day. And the aforementioned "kitchen sink" systems type of viewpoint, consists of ideas.Application, on the other hand, is a dynamic on-going process which can be deeply rewarding or fraught w/ difficulty and can be quite frequently a deeply humbling experience.

Regards,

Gail

Re: elitism

I'm just curious, there must be data which support your view of Jungians and their charitable

Inclinations. I'm a little surprised based on my limited sampling. Tell me more, if you would.

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."

— Dickinson

Pause, Center, and Shift--Brugh Joy

Hi Sam,

Class isn't a function of money.

My speculation re: introversion and the poor has to do with the fact that the introvert, being himself more likely to think of relative poverty ( I don't mean actual hunger or destitution) as "no big deal," is likely to think of others' relative poverty as no big deal. I could quote Jung somewhat to this effect, but won't bothe

bes

Dan

On 1/18/2012 6:32 PM, JustaJungster@... wrote

Ah, Dan, I long ago decided to not get into a sparring match with you, one, because you can spar better than I, and two, our world views seem so far apart that it seems unlikely the twain shall ever meet.

However, I can't let this statement go by re: introversion and compassion. I'm a very strong introvert and yet I contribute to many different kinds of "help the less-fortunate" groups. I fail to see the connection between introversion and what you seem to be suggesting is a lack of compassion. BTW, I'm far from the "upper middle class" from which someone mentioned that most Jung students seem to come. Lower middle class might fit if I made more money, though.

Blissings,

Sam

Search for Soul

https://sampatron.wordpress.com

Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's true.

Just because I don't believe something doesn't mean it's untrue.

Don't believe everything you think.

If it is indeed the case that Jungians as a group are less likely than others to help the less unfortunate, I wonder if it is not in part because introversion is more prevalent among Jungians than among the general population. fwiw.

Thanks, Gail.You have expressed the way I experience kinship with all that is.May you be filled with loving kindnessMay you be peaceful and at easeMay you be happyMay you be well.....To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."— DickinsonPause, Center, and Shift--Brugh Joy

In one of Jung's last publications he wrote " 'The more uncertain I have felt about myself, the more there has grown up in me a feeling of kinship with all things. In fact, it seems to me as if that alienation which so long separated me from the world has become transferred into my own inner world, and has revealed to me an unexpected unfamiliarity with myself."

To attempt to humbly interpret this quote and apply this insight to the current topics including the individual/collective,introspection,social consciousness/action and nature of reality might one conclude, that in his final days of accumulated wisdom, Jung may have felt more of a kinship w/others(indeed all things),the world outside, and more alienation within himself. Thus, might he have progressed from years of intense introversion and development of his own life path toward communion w/ community,the collective, as he advanced in age and in his considerable wisdom ?

Introspection is an elemental part of the human development process as are relationships,connection w/ the collective( relationships, social activism as indicated, etc.). Unless one is of the extreme view that there is no objective reality,and conclusive scientific data doesn't support this presently (not implying it isn't true), but if it appears there is considerable evidence of human suffering,then perhaps one might connect w/ the world as Jung did,in the end, and develop a "kinship with all things", and thereby initiate change in that which we may change, given our individual talents,gifts, and circumstances.

The other possibility may be to say I'm projecting all, and therefore changing my mindset is what I must do to alleviate suffering. The suffering of others thereby remains generally unaddressed. It seems to me that rather a combination of introspection,development of one's own path, compassion/connection, service, positive thinking and dealing w/ reality as it appears to be and also as it may be (ie projection,thus need for positive thoughts), might be the best of all possibilities? And while this may be a "kitchen sink" approach,and not a purest approach, the matters at hand are rather complex and call for a repertoire of thoughts,feelings,behaviors in determining how to effectively relate to oneself and the world at large.

Beauty,tragedy,joy,sorrow,wisdom as well as a profound lack of insight can permeate any human soul,on any given day. And the aforementioned "kitchen sink" systems type of viewpoint, consists of ideas.Application, on the other hand, is a dynamic on-going process which can be deeply rewarding or fraught w/ difficulty and can be quite frequently a deeply humbling experience.

Regards,

Gail

Re: elitism

I'm just curious, there must be data which support your view of Jungians and their charitable

Inclinations. I'm a little surprised based on my limited sampling. Tell me more, if you would.

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."

— Dickinson

Pause, Center, and Shift--Brugh Joy

Hi Sam,

Class isn't a function of money.

My speculation re: introversion and the poor has to do with the fact that the introvert, being himself more likely to think of relative poverty ( I don't mean actual hunger or destitution) as "no big deal," is likely to think of others' relative poverty as no big deal. I could quote Jung somewhat to this effect, but won't bothe

bes

Dan

On 1/18/2012 6:32 PM, JustaJungster@... wrote

Ah, Dan, I long ago decided to not get into a sparring match with you, one, because you can spar better than I, and two, our world views seem so far apart that it seems unlikely the twain shall ever meet.

However, I can't let this statement go by re: introversion and compassion. I'm a very strong introvert and yet I contribute to many different kinds of "help the less-fortunate" groups. I fail to see the connection between introversion and what you seem to be suggesting is a lack of compassion. BTW, I'm far from the "upper middle class" from which someone mentioned that most Jung students seem to come. Lower middle class might fit if I made more money, though.

Blissings,

Sam

Search for Soul

https://sampatron.wordpress.com

Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's true.

Just because I don't believe something doesn't mean it's untrue.

Don't believe everything you think.

If it is indeed the case that Jungians as a group are less likely than others to help the less unfortunate, I wonder if it is not in part because introversion is more prevalent among Jungians than among the general population. fwiw.