RemedySpot.com

Re: remote desktop

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Just use the IP address ...which requires a static ip or similar

Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC over the web?  I  cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my Logmein, and thougthI would try Remote Desktop.  I got as far as the setup screen but it requires that you know and enter

the fully qualified domain name  (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is for my office computer. I didntknow I HAD  one.    

-- Graham Chiuhttp://www.compkarori.co.nz:8090/Synapse - the use from anywhere EMR.

Guest guest

Usually only requires your IP address.

Google what is my IP and several sites come up. Do this from the computer you want to access.

Subject: remote desktopTo: "practiceimprovement1" < >Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 12:35 AM

Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC over the web?

I cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my Logmein, and thougth

I would try Remote Desktop. I got as far as the setup screen but it requires that you know and enter

the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is for my office computer. I didnt

know I HAD one.

Guest guest

No, your firewalls do not address the security issue. In fact, you have to open

a little hole in your firewall to allow RD connections. The security concern is

around " man in the middle " attacks, where your information can be accessed

between your two computers, so you may want to read about those. There is free

VPN software that creates an end-to-end secure connection, and I got one set up

at one point, but I couldn't figure out how to run RD over it. It was going to

cost me some consultant time to do that, and I'm cheap and gave up. So I'm

afraid I'm short on knowledge needed to complete the task....

Haresch

> > >

> > > Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC over

> > > the web?

> > > I cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my

> > > Logmein, and thougth

> > > I would try Remote Desktop. I got as far as the setup screen but it

> > > requires that you know and enter

> > > the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is

> > for

> > > my office computer. I didnt

> > > know I HAD one.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I use remote desktop connection through my router using port forwarding on port 3389. My understanding is that remote desktop uses 3389 by default. Works well FWIW.

-WK

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:56 AM

To:

Subject: Re: remote desktop

No, your firewalls do not address the security issue. In fact, you have to open a little hole in your firewall to allow RD connections. The security concern is around "man in the middle" attacks, where your information can be accessed between your two computers, so you may want to read about those. There is free VPN software that creates an end-to-end secure connection, and I got one set up at one point, but I couldn't figure out how to run RD over it. It was going to cost me some consultant time to do that, and I'm cheap and gave up. So I'm afraid I'm short on knowledge needed to complete the task.... Haresch> > >> > > Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC over> > > the web?> > > I cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my> > > Logmein, and thougth> > > I would try Remote Desktop. I got as far as the setup screen but it> > > requires that you know and enter> > > the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is> > for> > > my office computer. I didnt> > > know I HAD one.> > >> >> > > >>=======Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.(Email Guard: 9.0.0.909, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19450)http://www.pctools.com======= =======Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.(Email Guard: 9.0.0.909, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19450)http://www.pctools.com=======

Guest guest

I use a different port. I just figure that someone poking around would be more

likely to try the default port.

Haresch

> > > >

> > > > Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC

over

> > > > the web?

> > > > I cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my

> > > > Logmein, and thougth

> > > > I would try Remote Desktop. I got as far as the setup screen but it

> > > > requires that you know and enter

> > > > the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is

> > > for

> > > > my office computer. I didnt

> > > > know I HAD one.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> =======

> Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.

> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.909, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19450)

> http://www.pctools.com

> =======

>

>

>

> =======

> Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.

> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.909, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19450)

> http://www.pctools.com/

> =======

>

Guest guest

It would seem all software has risk. I noticed the advisory below in my email today. Guess I’ll call and ask what it means when I get time. I run VPN so maybe it means nothing in my setup. In this morning’s paper I read that thieves carted off barrels of x-rays (scheduled for destruction) from the local hospital by posing as vendors. Seems they were after the silver. Hmmm, maybe that should be part of my retirement plan – save them for 30 years and cash out? Neighbors, MDHuntsville, Alabama Solo using FlexMedical EMR/Billing since 2/2009Attested MU in 2011 Microsoft issues “Critical” patch for their Remote Desktop protocolMicrosoft’s bulletin, numbered MS12-020, applies to specific systems running Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). If not corrected, the flaw could permit an attacker to achieve remote code execution on a machine running RDP.The vulnerability affects both desktop and server versions of Windows including Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Once the patch is applied, it will require a system restart.Older systems running Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP are the most vulnerable because they don’t have some of the built-in security features as systems running Network Level Authentication.Microsoft has stated that " Due to the attractiveness of this vulnerability to attackers, we anticipate that an exploit for code execution will be developed in the next 30 days " . Read Microsoft’s blog here.. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of newflocSent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:25 AMTo: Subject: Re: remote desktop I do it every day, and it works well. I was using Dyndns.com to maintain my IP address, but now I have a static IP for e-prescribing anyway. There is some theoretical security risk to using Remote Desktop, particularly if you don't run it through a secure channel (VPN). Haresch>> Does anyone have experience working with Remote Desktop to access PC over> the web?> I cant get my new smart phone to communicate with office desktop via my> Logmein, and thougth> I would try Remote Desktop. I got as far as the setup screen but it> requires that you know and enter> the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) and I have no idea what that is for> my office computer. I didnt> know I HAD one.>