RemedySpot.com

RE: School Trip to Italy - Medical Bag Contents?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea. Ibuprofen/Tylenol. Probiotics and /or diflucan for yeast infection.DTo: Practice Management Issues ; practiceimprovement1 < >Sent: Thu, March 8, 2012 11:50:52 AMSubject:

School Trip to Italy - Medical Bag Contents?

Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May? I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults. No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

No food allergies known. One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical steroid, others?

I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc. Thoughts? I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a physician.

Locke, MD

Guest guest

Personally I would bring melatonin, lavender oil, chamomile, arnica, magnesium and maybe a bag of prunes (for constipation), rescue remedy.

Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May? I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults. No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

No food allergies known. One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical steroid, others?

I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc. Thoughts? I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a physician.

Locke, MD 

Guest guest

What about albuterol inhaler stirri strips dermabond. Sunburn stuff. I remember my Hs trip to Italy. Lots of drinking (not me of course) even the chaperones were drunk! Sent from my iPhone

Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May? I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults. No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

No food allergies known. One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical steroid, others?

I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc. Thoughts? I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a physician.

Locke, MD

Guest guest

You are going to Italy. You will be able to buy much of everything noted in Italy, so make sure you don’t take too heavy a back pack J Izquierdo-Porrera MD PhDExecutive Director & Co-founderCare for Your Health, IncPhone Fax www.care4yourhealth.org " Don't ever let injustice go by unchallenged. " From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of LockeSent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:51 PMTo: Practice Management Issues; practiceimprovement1Subject: School Trip to Italy - Medical Bag Contents? Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May? I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults. No diabetics or severe asthmatics.No food allergies known. One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical steroid, others? I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc. Thoughts? I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a physician. Locke, MD

Guest guest

Advil

Tylenol

Imodium

Band Aids

Alcohol wipes

Gauze

Ace wrap

Antibacterial cream

Antifungal cream

Hydrocortisone cream

Thermometer

>

> Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May?

>

> I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults.

>

> No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

> No food allergies known.

>

> One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro

> (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical

> steroid, others?

>

> I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that

> otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc.

>

> Thoughts?

>

> I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a

> physician.

>

>

> Locke, MD

>

Guest guest

acid reducers for the adults that go..

youre probably going to have way too much wine.

(winks)

grace

> >

> > Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May?

> >

> > I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults.

> >

> > No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

> > No food allergies known.

> >

> > One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro

> > (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical

> > steroid, others?

> >

> > I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that

> > otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc.

> >

> > Thoughts?

> >

> > I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a

> > physician.

> >

> >

> > Locke, MD

> >

>

Guest guest

I can't insist enough how much I appreciated The zofran odt sublingual.Yes u can get stuff over there , do u speakThe Italian ? Do u know where all the pharmaciesAre located in any given time?I was riding a bus in the amalfi coast with my family.The road is not straight so Ardiana gotNauseated . I opened my bag of tricks and gaveHer zofran sublingual and fixed the problem.Adolfo E. Teran, MD

Advil

Tylenol

Imodium

Band Aids

Alcohol wipes

Gauze

Ace wrap

Antibacterial cream

Antifungal cream

Hydrocortisone cream

Thermometer

>

> Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May?

>

> I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults.

>

> No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

> No food allergies known.

>

> One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro

> (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical

> steroid, others?

>

> I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that

> otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc.

>

> Thoughts?

>

> I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a

> physician.

>

>

> Locke, MD

>

=

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I likely have not read all the responses, but I would suggest caution in being

both a parent and doing formal doctoring. Be sure to know about available care

services where you will be in Italy. Accidents like clavicle fractures and

lacerations are some things that might need formal treatments. For simple lacs,

consider steri-strips and tincture of benzoin, perhaps. Perhaps I am mistaken

but travelers diarrhea needing antibitics is likely not common in Italy, so

loperamide and fluids may be the biggest priority. Other OTC meds like

tyl/ibuprofen/naproxen/benadryl/loratadine/sudafed may be what you need the

most.

I do a week-long trip as a volunteer parent with a youth group every year, and

my policy is that if I wouldn't take care of the problem if my own kids had the

problem at home, I should defer to local formal medical services. So severe

diarrhea might deserve a fuller evaluation, and perhaps consideration of IVF,

etc.

Good luck and safe travels.

--Tim

<div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><br></font></div><div><font

face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " > Malia, MD<br><br><font

size= " 3 " >Phone/Fax: </font><br><font size= " 3 " >Facebook page: & nbsp;

</font><a

href= " https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365 " >https:/\

/www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365</a>

</font><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><font size= " 3 " >Blog:

& nbsp;</font><a

href= " http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/ " >http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/\

</a></font></div></div></div>

Re: School Trip to Italy - Medical Bag Contents?

Thanks .

Looks great.

I think there is a school form for field trips, but not sure about

international travel.

I'll definitely check and see what we have and if nothing useful, modify

your great form.

Thanks for the feedback.

> **

>

> [Attachment(s) <#135f3eafbf591cc5_TopText> from Pratt included

> below]

>

> ,

> Make sure to get a form for each student that will be travelling without a

> parent/guardian. The chaperone for the student should carry the form, and

> it should be carried with you at all times. I have a very detailed form

> that we use for my daughter's skating team. It lets each parent decide

> what their own child can take in case they cannot be contacted. It also

> authorizes the chaperone to make medical decisions in an emergency. I've

> attached (or at least tried to) here, and it obviously needs to be edited

> for your use.

>

>

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Locke wrote:

>

>> **

>>

>>

>> Any thoughts on what to take on a School Trip to Italy this May?

>>

>> I'll have about 20 middle and/or high schoolers and a couple adults.

>>

>> No diabetics or severe asthmatics.

>> No food allergies known.

>>

>> One can certainly overkill it, but I was thinking a Zpak, Bactrim, ?Cipro

>> (age is borderline for quinolones), ?EpiPen, antihistamine, topical

>> steroid, others?

>>

>> I'm thinking of stuff that I could use to treat simple problems that

>> otherwise might spoil the trip -- allergic rash, infections, etc.

>>

>> Thoughts?

>>

>> I'm going as a parent, but probably partly selected to go because I'm a

>> physician.

>>

>>

>> Locke, MD

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> --

> * Pratt*

>

>

>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Good points, Tim.I appreciate everyone's input and ideas.I agree with not taking too much along and caution on treating too much -- this isn't an Everest trip where we are days away from a hospital.

My approach is going to be...1. Bring basic things that are cheap and I don't want the hassle of finding a chemist in the middle of the night -- tylenol, motrin, etc.2. Some steristrips and dermabond for minimal lacs

3. A couple antibiotics for minor skin infections, etc.4. Nausea medicine for the bus or Gastroenteritis.5. Steroid cream for a simple rash.Beyond that, if I can't treat it adequately, it's off to the local clinic I go.

I'm certainly not wanting to cowboy off and treat things sub-optimally when there is a decent clinic or hospital around the corner.On the other hand, I would hate to have to go the hassle and expense of a clinic visit if it is something simple and straight forward that I can treat along the way.

I certainly don't want to be treating something with a high complication rate without getting them seen in an appropriate setting.Also, I'll have phone access - so if there is something beyond a simple scrape on the knee - I'll probably be calling the parents to explain the situation and my recommendations and offering to take them to a clinic if that is their preference.

Thanks

I likely have not read all the responses, but I would suggest caution in being both a parent and doing formal doctoring. Be sure to know about available care services where you will be in Italy. Accidents like clavicle fractures and lacerations are some things that might need formal treatments. For simple lacs, consider steri-strips and tincture of benzoin, perhaps. Perhaps I am mistaken but travelers diarrhea needing antibitics is likely not common in Italy, so loperamide and fluids may be the biggest priority. Other OTC meds like tyl/ibuprofen/naproxen/benadryl/loratadine/sudafed may be what you need the most.

I do a week-long trip as a volunteer parent with a youth group every year, and my policy is that if I wouldn't take care of the problem if my own kids had the problem at home, I should defer to local formal medical services. So severe diarrhea might deserve a fuller evaluation, and perhaps consideration of IVF, etc.

--Tim

<div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><br></font></div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " > Malia, MD<br><br><font size= " 3 " >Phone/Fax: </font><br><font size= " 3 " >Facebook page: & nbsp;

</font><a href= " https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365 " >https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365</a>

</font><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><font size= " 3 " >Blog: & nbsp;</font><a href= " http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/ " >http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/</a></font></div></div></div>

Thanks .

Looks great.

international travel.

your great form.

Thanks for the feedback.

> **

>

> below]

>

> ,

> for your use.

>

>

>

>> **

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> steroid, others?

>>

>>

>> Thoughts?

>>

>> physician.

>>

>>

>> Locke, MD

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> --

> * Pratt*

>

>

>

Guest guest

What about some benadryl?

Good points, Tim.I appreciate everyone's input and ideas.I agree with not taking too much along and caution on treating too much -- this isn't an Everest trip where we are days away from a hospital.

My approach is going to be...1. Bring basic things that are cheap and I don't want the hassle of finding a chemist in the middle of the night -- tylenol, motrin, etc.2. Some steristrips and dermabond for minimal lacs

3. A couple antibiotics for minor skin infections, etc.4. Nausea medicine for the bus or Gastroenteritis.5. Steroid cream for a simple rash.Beyond that, if I can't treat it adequately, it's off to the local clinic I go.

I'm certainly not wanting to cowboy off and treat things sub-optimally when there is a decent clinic or hospital around the corner.On the other hand, I would hate to have to go the hassle and expense of a clinic visit if it is something simple and straight forward that I can treat along the way.

I certainly don't want to be treating something with a high complication rate without getting them seen in an appropriate setting.Also, I'll have phone access - so if there is something beyond a simple scrape on the knee - I'll probably be calling the parents to explain the situation and my recommendations and offering to take them to a clinic if that is their preference.

Thanks

I likely have not read all the responses, but I would suggest caution in being both a parent and doing formal doctoring. Be sure to know about available care services where you will be in Italy. Accidents like clavicle fractures and lacerations are some things that might need formal treatments. For simple lacs, consider steri-strips and tincture of benzoin, perhaps. Perhaps I am mistaken but travelers diarrhea needing antibitics is likely not common in Italy, so loperamide and fluids may be the biggest priority. Other OTC meds like tyl/ibuprofen/naproxen/benadryl/loratadine/sudafed may be what you need the most.

I do a week-long trip as a volunteer parent with a youth group every year, and my policy is that if I wouldn't take care of the problem if my own kids had the problem at home, I should defer to local formal medical services. So severe diarrhea might deserve a fuller evaluation, and perhaps consideration of IVF, etc.

--Tim

<div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><br></font></div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " > Malia, MD<br><br><font size= " 3 " >Phone/Fax: </font><br><font size= " 3 " >Facebook page: & nbsp;

</font><a href= " https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365 " >https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365</a>

</font><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><font size= " 3 " >Blog: & nbsp;</font><a href= " http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/ " >http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/</a></font></div></div></div>

Thanks .

Looks great.

international travel.

your great form.

Thanks for the feedback.

> **

>

> below]

>

> ,

> for your use.

>

>

>

>> **

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> steroid, others?

>>

>>

>> Thoughts?

>>

>> physician.

>>

>>

>> Locke, MD

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> --

> * Pratt*

>

>

>

-- M.D.www.elainemd.comOffice: Go in the directions of your dreams and live the life you've imagined.

This email transmission may contain protected and privileged, highly confidential medical, Personal and Health Information (PHI) and/or legal information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.

If you are not the intended recipient of this material, you may not use, publish, discuss, disseminate or otherwise distribute it. If you are not the intended recipient, or if you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and confidentially destroy the information that email in error.

Guest guest

If you do decide to do Everest, the kind Nepalese folks who run the Everest view

Hotel, spend their summers in Winter Park- a much lower altitude at 8800

feet-let me know, they are on the way there! He has climbed Everest 5 times, but

now has diabetes and his wife wont let him go.

[ ] On Behalf Of Locke

[lockecolorado@...]

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 4:22 PM

To:

Subject: Re: School Trip to Italy - Medical Bag Contents?

Good points, Tim.

I appreciate everyone's input and ideas.

I agree with not taking too much along and caution on treating too much -- this

isn't an Everest trip where we are days away from a hospital.

My approach is going to be...

1. Bring basic things that are cheap and I don't want the hassle of finding a

chemist in the middle of the night -- tylenol, motrin, etc.

2. Some steristrips and dermabond for minimal lacs

3. A couple antibiotics for minor skin infections, etc.

4. Nausea medicine for the bus or Gastroenteritis.

5. Steroid cream for a simple rash.

Beyond that, if I can't treat it adequately, it's off to the local clinic I go.

I'm certainly not wanting to cowboy off and treat things sub-optimally when

there is a decent clinic or hospital around the corner.

On the other hand, I would hate to have to go the hassle and expense of a clinic

visit if it is something simple and straight forward that I can treat along the

way.

I certainly don't want to be treating something with a high complication rate

without getting them seen in an appropriate setting.

Also, I'll have phone access - so if there is something beyond a simple scrape

on the knee - I'll probably be calling the parents to explain the situation and

my recommendations and offering to take them to a clinic if that is their

preference.

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Malia

> wrote:

I likely have not read all the responses, but I would suggest caution in being

both a parent and doing formal doctoring. Be sure to know about available care

services where you will be in Italy. Accidents like clavicle fractures and

lacerations are some things that might need formal treatments. For simple lacs,

consider steri-strips and tincture of benzoin, perhaps. Perhaps I am mistaken

but travelers diarrhea needing antibitics is likely not common in Italy, so

loperamide and fluids may be the biggest priority. Other OTC meds like

tyl/ibuprofen/naproxen/benadryl/loratadine/sudafed may be what you need the

most.

I do a week-long trip as a volunteer parent with a youth group every year, and

my policy is that if I wouldn't take care of the problem if my own kids had the

problem at home, I should defer to local formal medical services. So severe

diarrhea might deserve a fuller evaluation, and perhaps consideration of IVF,

etc.

--Tim

<div><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><br></font></div><div><font

face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " > Malia, MD<br><br><font

size= " 3 " >Phone/Fax: <tel:></font><br><font

size= " 3 " >Facebook page: & nbsp;

</font><a

href= " https://www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365 " >https:/\

/www.facebook.com/pages/Malia-Family-Medicine/175101158365</a>

</font><div><font face= " arial, helvetica, sans-serif " ><font size= " 3 " >Blog:

& nbsp;</font><a

href= " http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/ " >http://drmaliareckons.posterous.com/\

</a></font></div></div></div>

Thanks .

Looks great.

international travel.

your great form.

Thanks for the feedback.

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Pratt

<kpratt.1022@...<mailto:kpratt.1022%40gmail.com>> wrote:

> **

>

> below]

>

> ,

> for your use.

>

>

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Locke

<lockecolorado@...<mailto:lockecolorado%40gmail.com>>wrote:

>

>> **

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> steroid, others?

>>

>>

>> Thoughts?

>>

>> physician.

>>

>>

>> Locke, MD

>>

>>

>>

>