RemedySpot.com

Re: screening phone and drug seekers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Everyone in my practice has my home and cell number. In 4 years maybe 3 have abused it -- all three are little insecure and scattered and have just needed extra instruction on appropriate use of my numbers. Even the one who was bugging me last week got it -- this week she called the office before closeing. Why pay an answering service? I find I have more of a problem convincing people to call me instead of Urgent Caren my weekends. The stronger you get in confidence the less the baggage of patients interrupts your sleep. Indeed, the more responsive you are to their needs (within your boundaries) the less nervous they are and they come to trust you will get back to them. Much of "abuse" is really due to lack of access and fear. That being said

you will quickly learn, "I can address that during office hours. Please leave a message there (or call for appt - whichever course is your style.) Then learn to repeat it, followed with silence. They'll stop argueing. Make it very clear you don't prescribe narcotics publically -- all new offices do get the drug seekers but I made this announcement despite my comfort with doing pain control and it really prevented the usual onslot. I would ask on the phone about controlled substances and screen before the initial appointment.

To: Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:29 PMSubject: Re: Re: Practice fusion

For close to 10 yrs, I've used my cell phone no. as my answering service and have never had a problem. As an MD, with/ without concierge services, we are all technically required to provide care to our pts 24/7 thru sharing call. I find taking call by myself the easiest call I've ever had. I know my pts and they know they will get me if they call, not some doctor they've never met. No one abuses my availability after hrs. I've had my share of drug seekers but they never call. And it's easy to have a policy about not renewing narcotics after hrs. Ellen HealthMax Primary CarePortland, OR

Re: Re: Practice fusion

I didn't say this earlier but thanks for the advice, to both you and as well as to anyone else who cares to share what they've learned trying to do this style of practice. It feels a little scary to offer unlimited 24-hour access, but for most patients I think you've definitely got a good point about them trying to go out of their way to not to bother me if they don't need to. I've (knock on wood) fortunately had very good luck with the patients whom I've entrusted my cell number to so far; hopefully that luck will continue once I'm finished with residency.

That said, I'm still wondering if anyone knows of a good mechanism to use to screen calls without an answering service, should that ever become necessary. I'm envisioning maybe a disgruntled narcs seeker or someone seeking disability who expects on some level that paying me a fee should entitle him or her to a little quid pro quo. It seems slightly unlikely, but it only takes one such person to trash my ability to sleep through the night if they feel like being a total jerk.

Ken

Sent from my iPad

KenSounds like you are setting up your ideal practice, but is it ideal to those who choose to pay you.I have not taken insurance other than Medicare since 2008. My views, and rules have changed as I see what patients want for their money.I have found they want competency, trust, value and most of all access. Part of access is allowing for same or next day visits. My advice is not to nickel and dime your retainer patients over time they call you. If they truly trust you have their best interests at heart, they will go out of their way NOT to bother you.Trust goes both ways, but remember that they are paying you, and more than they would pay anormal in network doc. Horvitzstown, NJ> >> > >>> > >>> PF question:> >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> How do you enter in-house labs. I know how to order labs but can’t quite figure out how to enter results. Anyone using Practice fusion can assist?> >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> Izquierdo-Porrera MD PhD> >>> > >>> Executive Director & Co-founder> >>> > >>> Care for Your Health, Inc> >>> > >>> Phone 240 844 25> >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> "Don't ever let injustice go by

unchallenged."> >>> > >>> > >>> > >> > >> > > > > > > > >>