RemedySpot.com

intervention

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jim, If your child has had no "interventions" to date, he must be doing something right to not be raising big red flags. Early intervention starts at age 3, not 11. What is the school saying? What behaviors are being displayed and what do they/you think is causing them? 11 could be early puberty issues that can increase sensory problems but I would need something more specific to go on. What does your son say?

Lorelie

To: aspires-relationships From: jim7000@...Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:12:41 -0800Subject: intervention

Is early intervention recommended and effective for children (11 yr old son) with AS? Would would be the trade-off from doing nothing? Jim

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.

Earlier, he had handwriting problems, and a speech impediment (not delayed speech), and therapists helped address these issues independently of each other and of any other possible "cause". In school, he really doesn't have friends. His academic performance is average to below-average. He basically manages in school, but is completely out of control at home. The obvious problems occur at Home, and are not evident at school:

- appetite disorder (he's extremely picky and sometimes won't eat for a full day)

- obsessive cleanliness (if someone touches his plate, food, sheet, etc. he'll "need" it replaced, he'll stare into the mirror cleaning his dandruff, etc.)

- obsessive and constant nagging/blaming/whining/negativity.

I have self-diagnosed his mother with AS, and believe he has it. So far, his mother is unwilling to have an assessment for herself or for him. This is the best I have to go on.

Thanks.

Jim

To: aspires-relationships <aspires-relationships >Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:19:21 PMSubject: RE: intervention

Jim, If your child has had no "interventions" to date, he must be doing something right to not be raising big red flags.. Early intervention starts at age 3, not 11. What is the school saying? What behaviors are being displayed and what do they/you think is causing them? 11 could be early puberty issues that can increase sensory problems but I would need something more specific to go on. What does your son say? Lorelie

To: aspires-relationshi psyahoogroups (DOT) comFrom: jim7000rocketmail (DOT) comDate: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:12:41 -0800Subject: [aspires-relationsh ips] intervention

Is early intervention recommended and effective for children (11 yr old son) with AS? Would would be the trade-off from doing nothing? Jim

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.

Jim, I'm posting this for you to read. Read each one carefully then ask yourself if it feels/sound/looks like these problems. Something that might be happening is that kids with sensory problems learn that they have to hold themselves together all day at school so when they get home to their "safe place", they let it all out.

We gave a certain amount of time to moan, groan, whine...whatever after school BUT away from everyone else. When the allotted time was up, he would rejoin us but in a more together way.

ABA is how I got both boys to expand their food choices but barely. Somewhere around 13-14, got on a "new foods" kick and started trying a lot of new things. As sensory issues abate cooperation increases. As coping skills increases, behaviors decrease. Maturity helps but let's face it....we ALL could use help sometimes.

Anyway, read the following, think about it all. I will get you some ideas. Can you tell me what city and state you live in? I should be able to find trained professionals or recommendations.

Read this entire list of behaviors that can occur when kids have sensory problems. They will mostly sound like ODD BUT there is a big difference......they are not calculated or deliberately defiant. The are impulsive, maybe compulsive and due to limited abilities to cope with changes in routine, schedule, verbally explain what is going on inside or what he needs to be able to do to help himself. Please note that some of the following child behavior problems may result from sensory processing dysfunction OR other developmental problems, due to the overlap of symptoms with a variety of other diagnoses (i.e, ADD/ADHD, Autism, Aspergers, PDD, developmental delay, etc.). However, collectively, these are common behavior problems that are red flag indicators of children with sensory processing disorders.Here is the list of child behavior problems sensory processing disorders may give rise to:Excessive Energy And Activity Level: A child may be unable to sit still, constantly on the run, or engage in risky behaviors.Remarkably Low Energy And Activity Level: A child may appear lethargic, uninterested in engaging in the world or activities, or be sedentary most of the day.Frequent Impulsiveness: A child may be unable to control impulses to jump out of his seat, control his behavior, may be aggressive, and/or frequently "blurt" things out without thinking first.Short Attention Span And Distractibility: A child may have difficulty concentrating on one activity or task for any length of time and be distracted by every sight, sound, smell, and/or movement he sees. Click Here To Help Your Child Improve His Concentration And Focus! Motor Coordination Difficulties And Problems With Muscle Tone: A child may appear clumsy, or like a "wet noodle", slouch or rest his head on his hands/arm during desk work, exhibit awkward movements, and/or have frequent accidents or injuries. Motor Planning Difficulties: A child may have difficulty with sports, handwriting, balance, using eating utensils, riding a bike, doing jumping jacks, clapping, or getting dressed. Frequent Switching Of Hands During "Tool" Use And Manipulation: A child may not have a dominant hand for writing by age 5, may switch hands often while cutting, writing etc, or may throw a ball with both hands at different times. Poor Eye-Hand Coordination: A child may have sloppy handwriting, difficulty cutting/drawing a straight line, catching a ball, or tying his shoes. Significant Resistance To The Unfamiliar: A child may experience anxiety or refuse to try new foods, meet new people, participate in new activities or sleep in a different environment. Difficulty Making Transitions From One Activity Or Situation To Another: A child may throw a tantrum, be uncooperative, or experience severe anxiety when stopping one activity and starting another. He may have a difficult time leaving a particular place or going to the next task of the day (ie, bath, bedtime, dinner) Low Frustration Tolerance: A child may become upset, yell or throw a tantrum at the slightest thing that does not go his way or that he is having difficulty learning. He will give up on tasks easily if they are difficult for him. Difficulties With Self-Regulation: A child may have difficulty with mood stability and maintaining an optimal level of arousal. He may be unable to calm himself down after an activity or get himself going for an activity. His arousal level may fluctuate minute to minute or day to day, which can be one of the most challenging behavior problems of all! "Academic" Difficulties: A child may have mild to severe learning disabilities as he has a difficult time learning and generalizing new concepts and skills. Significant Social Skill Behavior Problems: A child may have a difficult time relating to other children and sharing. He may isolate, be overpowering, aggressive, or bossy to help him regulate and control his sensory environment. Emotional Behavior Problems: A child may have significant self-esteem issues (one of THE BIGGEST indicators of sensory processing dysfunction), be overly sensitive to criticism, transitions, and stressful situations. He may have difficulty relating to others or understanding his own actions, motivation, and behaviors. Significantly Irritated By And Uncooperative With Activities Of Daily Living: A child may have difficulty getting dressed, going to bed, brushing his teeth, eating, participating in certain activities, or taking a shower. There are so many child behavior problems which accompany sensory processing disorders. Whether your child has this disorder or not, the resources below are invaluable to parents, teachers, families and professionals when dealing with any child behavior problems. Please take a few moments to browse through them; they are wonderful resources that will benefit everyone! http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... blems.html

To: aspires-relationships From: jim7000@...Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:48:23 -0800Subject: Re: intervention

.. Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.