RemedySpot.com

Re: Art made by the mentally ill

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One place to look is the HAI or Hospital Audiences. They have a regular program for artists who at least partially identify as living with mental illness. Many people are quite advanced artist creating powerful work and would make for good public presentation. check out:http://www.hospitalaudiences.org/hai/workshop/gallery.htm--- Subject: Art made by the mentally illTo: NYCCAT Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 9:30 AM

Hello NYCCAT members:A quick question that maybe you can help me with. I'm working at Kings County Hospital and we are moving into a brand new Behavioral Health building in a couple of month, an administrator approached me about where to find art for the building made by people with diagnosed mental illnesses. She does not seem particularly interested in purchasing art made by ex-patients or individual artists working in the community or at other agencies because she needs the artwork immediately and hassle-free (oh the joys of administration) . Instead she's looking for a resource where she might be able to get art prints that can be framed and hung as soon as possible. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could direct her?

Also, for those interested please send resumes to Kings County, they are actively recruiting for LCATs--they want to hire 8 more in the coming months-- and they are paying very well and giving an actual LCAT title with 3 different levels of seniority. Right now, I am the only LCAT working inpatient. They are looking for people with experience who are already licensed. For more information you can go to the HHC website and submit your resume to human resources. Also if anyone is working at Woodhull in their Creative Arts department, I'd love to speak with you about how you developed your department since Kings County is actively working on a similar program.

Thank you on all fronts,Kelley Linhardt, LCAT ATR-BC

Good luck setting up the department. I hope that dance/movement therapists on the list attend to this opportunity to build a CAT department. As someone who has had the privilege of starting dance/movement therapy programs, I know how exciting and maddening the process can be, but it’s definitely worth it.

I don’t have contacts in NYC, but what asking artists and art therapists if they have finished pieces that they would be willing to donate. Besides feeling as if one has contributed, donors may be able to take the cost as a tax deduction.

With all the discussion on the list about problems with Civil Service lines and levels of seniority, how is that Kings County is identifying its new staff as CATs and providing what appears to be an actual career ladder within the field. What magic did you perform or do you have forward thinking administrators?

Congratulations, Happy Thanksgiving, and all the best,

Dani Fraenkel

le L. Fraenkel, Ph.D., ADTR, NCC, LCAT, LMHC, CGP

Director,

Kinections www.kinections.com

At Imagine Square

718 University Avenue

Rochester, NY 14607

USA

TEL:

FAX:

Hello NYCCAT members:

A quick question that maybe you can help me with. I'm working at Kings County Hospital and we are moving into a brand new Behavioral Health building in a couple of month, an administrator approached me about where to find art for the building made by people with diagnosed mental illnesses. She does not seem particularly interested in purchasing art made by ex-patients or individual artists working in the community or at other agencies because she needs the artwork immediately and hassle-free (oh the joys of administration). Instead she's looking for a resource where she might be able to get art prints that can be framed and hung as soon as possible. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could direct her?

Also, for those interested please send resumes to Kings County, they are actively recruiting for LCATs--they want to hire 8 more in the coming months-- and they are paying very well and giving an actual LCAT title with 3 different levels of seniority. Right now, I am the only LCAT working inpatient. They are looking for people with experience who are already licensed. For more information you can go to the HHC website and submit your resume to human resources. Also if anyone is working at Woodhull in their Creative Arts department, I'd love to speak with you about how you developed your department since Kings County is actively working on a similar program.

Thank you on all fronts,

Kelley Linhardt, LCAT ATR-BC

Elissa is accurate. Kings County is a member of the HHC network. Google HHC Employment Opportunities.a Mac MPS, ATR-BC, LCATLicensed Creative Arts Therapistwww.artsinaction.homestead.com313 E.92nd. St. #2WNew York, NY 10128> >> Hello NYCCAT members:>> A quick question that maybe you can help me with. I'm workingat Kings County Hospital and we are moving into a brand new Behavioral Healthbuilding in a couple of month, an administrator approached me about where tofind art for the building made by people with diagnosed mental illnesses. Shedoes not seem particularly interested in purchasing art made by ex-patients orindividual artists working in the community or at other agencies because sheneeds the artwork immediately and hassle-free (oh the joys of administration). Instead she's looking for a resource where she might be able to get artprints that can be framed and hung as soon as possible. Does anyone have anyideas about where I could direct her?>> >> Also, for those interested please send resumes to Kings County,

theyare actively recruiting for LCATs--they want to hire 8 more in the comingmonths-- and they are paying very well and giving an actual LCAT title with 3different levels of seniority. Right now, I am the only LCAT workinginpatient. They are looking for people with experience who are alreadylicensed. For more information you can go to the HHC website and submit yourresume to human resources. Also if anyone is working at Woodhull in theirCreative Arts department, I'd love to speak with you about how you developedyour department since Kings County is actively working on a similar program.>> >> Thank you on all fronts,>> Kelley Linhardt, LCAT ATR-BC>> >

I believe Civil Service covers state hospitals and not county,

which I believe is the case with Kings County.

elissa white

> ,

> Good luck setting up the department. I hope that dance/movement

> therapists on the list attend to this opportunity to build a CAT

> department. As someone who has had the privilege of starting

> dance/movement therapy programs, I know how exciting and maddening the

> process can be, but it’s definitely worth it.

>

> I don’t have contacts in NYC, but what asking artists and art

> therapists if they have finished pieces that they would be willing to

> donate. Besides feeling as if one has contributed, donors may be able

> to take the cost as a tax deduction.

>

> With all the discussion on the list about problems with Civil Service

> lines and levels of seniority, how is that Kings County is identifying

> its new staff as CATs and providing what appears to be an actual

> career ladder within the field. What magic did you perform or do you

> have forward thinking administrators?

>

> Congratulations, Happy Thanksgiving, and all the best,

> Dani Fraenkel

> ____________________________________________________

>

> le L. Fraenkel, Ph.D., ADTR, NCC, LCAT, LMHC, CGP

> Director,

> Kinections       www.kinections.com

> At Imagine Square

> 718 University Avenue

> Rochester, NY 14607

> USA

> TEL:

> FAX:

>

> On 11/26/08 9:30 AM, " Kelley Linhardt "

> wrote:

>

>> Hello NYCCAT members:

>> A quick question that maybe you can help me with.  I'm working at

>> Kings County Hospital and we are moving into a brand new Behavioral

>> Health building in a couple of month, an administrator approached me

>> about where to find art for the building made by people with

>> diagnosed mental illnesses.  She does not seem particularly

>> interested in purchasing art made by ex-patients or individual

>> artists working in the community or at other agencies because she

>> needs the artwork immediately and hassle-free (oh the joys of

>> administration).  Instead she's looking for a resource where she

>> might be able to get art prints that can be framed and hung as soon

>> as possible.  Does anyone have any ideas about where I could direct

>> her?

>>

>> Also, for those interested please send resumes to Kings County, they

>> are actively recruiting for LCATs--they want to hire 8 more in the

>> coming months-- and they are paying very well and giving an actual

>> LCAT title with 3 different levels of seniority.  Right now, I am the

>> only LCAT working inpatient.  They are looking for people with

>> experience who are already licensed.  For more information you can go

>> to the HHC website and submit your resume to human resources.  Also

>> if anyone is working at Woodhull in their Creative Arts department,

>> I'd love to speak with you about how you developed your department

>> since Kings County is actively working on a similar program.

>>

>> Thank you on all fronts,

>> Kelley Linhardt, LCAT ATR-BC

>>

>

>

Hi Kelley,

There is a gallery run by Fountain House that exhibits art work by people diagnosed with mental illnesses. I don't know details regarding sales, but here is a link to the website:

http://fountaingallerynyc.org

Good luck!

Elaine Oswald, ATR-BC, LCAT

Subject: Art made by the mentally illTo: NYCCAT Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 9:30 AM

Hello NYCCAT members:

A quick question that maybe you can help me with. I'm working at Kings County Hospital and we are moving into a brand new Behavioral Health building in a couple of month, an administrator approached me about where to find art for the building made by people with diagnosed mental illnesses. She does not seem particularly interested in purchasing art made by ex-patients or individual artists working in the community or at other agencies because she needs the artwork immediately and hassle-free (oh the joys of administration) . Instead she's looking for a resource where she might be able to get art prints that can be framed and hung as soon as possible. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could direct her?

Thank you on all fronts,

Kelley Linhardt, LCAT ATR-BC