RemedySpot.com

NYCCAT_co.secretary-Verbal Therapy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Absolutely.

*The practice of creative arts therapy is defined in Education Law as:

the assessment, evaluation, and the therapeutic intervention and treatment, which may be either primary, parallel or adjunctive, of mental, emotional, developmental and behavioral disorders through the use of the arts as approved by the Department; and the use of assessment instruments and mental health counseling and psychotherapy to identify, evaluate and treat dysfunctions and disorders for purposes of providing appropriate creative arts therapy services.

This includes verbal therapy. Indeed the education requirements for licensure are the following:

preparation in one or more of the creative arts therapies, including but not limited to art, music, dance, drama, psychodrama, or poetry therapies, for the practice of creative arts therapy; human growth and development; theories in creative arts therapy; group dynamics; assessment and appraisal of individuals and groups; research and program evaluation; professional orientation and ethics; foundations of creative arts therapy and psychopathology; clinical instruction; and include a supervised internship or supervised practicum in the practice of creative arts therapy of at least 500 clock hours.

Verbal work is understood to be a part of our clinical training and to fall under our scope of practice. For more info see:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/catlic.htm

a Mac MPS, ATR-BC, LCAT

NYCCAT Board: Corresponding SecretaryLicensed Creative Arts Therapistwww.artsinaction.homestead.com

From: Marsh <marshcatherine@ gmail.com>Subject: Are we considered trained psychotherapists?To: NYCCATyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 1:24 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a Licensed art therapist and I am training to become a certified group psychotherapist. Does anyone know if I am allowed to practice group psychotherapy (verbal not creative arts) with my current license? I ask because the board of education outlines our scope of practice to include arts and says nothing of verbal groups. If anyone knows who I should be contacting please email me at marshcatherine@ gmail.com.

Thanks so much,

Marsh

LCAT, ATR-BC

Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center.