These Times Call for Heroes -- a Workshop for Transformational Times

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Thought you'd be interested in this.

t

These Times Call for Heroes.

Are you ready to live your daily life as the hero you naturally are

-- and to help others find their heroic path?

Join with t Bruce, Ph.D. for a dynamic 2-hour

Journey of Transformation through Story.

Friday, January 9, 2009

6:30-8:30 p.m.

83 Spring St., #2A

NYC 10012

We’re about to inaugurate a new era of hope and change in America, led by a man who had the imagination, heart, and discipline to reframe a fractured, lonely boyhood into a rite of passage that prepared him for an historic and potentially transformational presidency.

"I had to know and understand my own story before I could listen to and help other people with theirs." - Barack Obama

Every person has an archetypal Hero within them – not necessarily someone who accomplishes great feats or is a saint, but who embraces reality as it is, responds resourcefully, and in the process experiences growth, wisdom, and transformation into a person with something new and beneficial - A NEW STORY - to bring to others who are yearning for it.

As you consciously engage in the classic rite of passage, named the “Hero’s Journey” by the great mythologist ph , you find yourself better able to support the emergence of good things from crisis - for yourself, in your personal relationships, and in every life that you touch.

This workshop is for writers and other artists, psychologists, creative arts therapists, coaches, teachers, parents, and anyone looking for ways to live with spirit and equanimity in these momentous times.

You will receive:

• A step-by-step travel guide through the transforming stages of the hero’s journey;

• A visual storyboard template and “how-to” guidance for using it to reframe problems and issues;

• An experiential "write-of-passage" session;

• Practical ways to apply the hero’s journey story process for yourself, your clients, students, loved ones, and in your workplace.

Special pre-inaugural celebration fee: $15.00. Space for this exceptional opportunity is limited. You must register to attend. Reserve your place by credit card (juliet@...) or send a check, payable to t Bruce, Ph.D. and mail it to me at 2043 32nd St., Astoria, NY 11105.

My Story

"There is no greater agony than carrying around an untold story inside you." - Maya Angelou.

I’m a writer and expressive arts counselor who assists people going through loss or transition in using story-making to release difficult emotions, tap into their deepest calling, and experience the energizing power of the imagination, so that they can move forward in their lives with greater force, authenticity, and delight.

I have a Ph.D. in Expressive Arts Therapy and Transformational Education. But my real knowledge of the power of the hero's journey is visceral. It comes from life experience. Years ago, I used this ancient story process to reframe a diagnosis of depression into an imaginative yet grounded quest for the curious, joyful self I once was. Story gave depression a beginning, middle, and end, with varied landscapes, shifting atmospheres, unique characters, and passionate conflicts. My mission became not how to become “un-depressed,” but to understand what my life was asking of me.

What happened? Anguish dissolved as stories emerged, and I changed - deeply, from inside out! Writing daily about my life as an unfolding hero’s journey led through my tangled roots to a truer, more original, challenging, exhilarating, and happy life - no matter what the circumstances. To this day, I write and reflect on my life as an ever-evolving story - with moments of breakthrough that just dazzle me!

Since 1994, I’ve brought the transformational power of story – including the hero's journey story - to hundreds of people in Washington, DC and New York. My current clients are generally going through divorce or job loss, grieving the passing of a loved one, recovering from physical or emotional illness, or yearning for a more purposeful life. I’ve presented many dozens of story-making workshops for people in crisis and the professionals who serve them, including the NYC Creative Arts Therapies Conference, the C.G. Jung Center, hospitals, community venues, private practices, and many other settings too numerous to list here. In 2004-2005, I became the first post-doctoral Fellow in Spirituality and Health at the Library of Congress. While there, I researched my book in progress about the amazing impact of a hero’s journey writing group on a group of violent, mentally ill prisoners.

For information about my other workshops, ongoing groups, and individual counseling sessions, please e-mail me at juliet@....

t Bruce, Ph.D., 19 W. 34th St., Penthouse, NYC 10001

, ext. 341; juliet@..., www.arts-for-life.org