RemedySpot.com

Re: Massachusetts is only thee hours away but a world apart

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I agree! I think part of the success and wisdom of Lesley University was to offer the LMHC rather than trying to create an LCAT.

The LMHC appears to be a more marketable degree.

To: NYCCAT Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:46:38 PMSubject: Massachusetts is only thee hours away but a world apart

I would recommend moving to the Boston area!Having recently graduated from Lesley University (Cambridge MA) as an Expressive Therapist, and then moved to Westchester this summer I can safely say the Boston (and surrounding) areas have way way more opportunities than Westchester (but maybe not NYC). Perhaps it is the effect of having Lesley interns doing internships for the past 25+ years, but that area is plentiful with opportunity, acceptance and the evolution of thought that has come (and is needed!) with our field. The Expressive Therapy program at Lesley is LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor) certified with the state. Many many positions available are looking for an LMHC trained clinician. Many positions are also not caught up in this NY Recreational Therapist game we have to contend with. Since the school has worked with the state insurance board, all LMHC's are on track to get licensure, practice creative arts, be able to

bill insurance, etc. Its odd that it is only three hours away, but worlds apart in the evolution of our trade. Honestly, my first impression from moving to Westchester is how behind the curve the employers in this area are with the idea that Expressive Arts are a useful tool to have with their clients/patients. I am not even touching upon the rigors, resistance and seemingly negative relationship CAT's have with the NY State Board.

From: "NYCCAT@yahoogroups .com" <NYCCATyahoogroups (DOT) com>To: NYCCATyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:08:47 AMSubject: Digest Number 1684

The New York Coalition of Creative Arts Therapies (NYCCAT)

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

1a.

Creatice Arts Therapy Positions From:

1b.

Re: Creatice Arts Therapy Positions From:

1c.

Re: Creatice Arts Therapy Positions From: debbie stone

View All Topics | Create New Topic

1a.

Creatice Arts Therapy Positions

Posted by: " " juliegalway@ yahoo.com juliegalway

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:59 am (PST)

Dear All,I hope this finds everyone well. I've really enjoyed the insight I've had into how licensing works there, thanks to all the contributions. I'm concerned though, as I intend to return to New York with the goal of trying to find work as a creative arts therapist. I had to return to Europe (I'm a US citizen) to complete my MA, as I couldn't afford the cost of private tuition in the US. I found it difficult to to find information regarding whether my MA would be recognised in the States. I felt that the majority of Creative Arts Therapists I spoke with agreed I could practice but would have to get certified in the state I lived in. I would prefer to return to New York where I have friends and family. I could also relocate to another part of the US if opportunities were more plentiful. I could also further my education here in Europe if it's necessary to secure work in the States. I understand the economic

climate isn't good at the moment. I appreciatethe time you've taken to read this lengthy email and appreciate any advice offered. Dramatherapy traineeFrom: Tri-State Chapter <tristatechapter@ yahoo.com>Subject: Reminder - Dec 7th NYC Holiday SocialTo: "NADT" <LISTSERVLISTSERV (DOT) KSU.EDU>, "NYCCATlistserve" <NYCCATyahoogroups (DOT) com>, tristatechapter@ yahoogroups. com, "NYU" <nyudramatherapy@ yahoo.com>Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 1:02 PMJust a friendly reminder about our upcoming Chapter meeting...Happy Thansgiving!PLEASE JOIN US...NADT's Tri-State Chapter invites you to attend our annual Holiday Social!Sunday, December 75:30pm-8:30pm35 West 4th StreetRoom 303We invite you to reflect on the past year look forward to 2009 among friends and colleagues. Refreshments will be provided - and please feel free to bring your favorite holiday treat to share!RSVP is encouraged (but not necessary) - tristatechapter@ yahoogroups. comWe look forward to seeing you at the social!TRI-STATE CHAPTER Gaines, RDT, LCAT, MA, PresidentMark Beauregard, RDT, LCAT, MA, Vice President Peller, RDT, MA Recording SecretaryMeredith Dean, MA, Corresponding

Secretary Rees, RDT, MA, TreasurerChloe Lara-Russack, Student Representative

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post

Messages in this topic (4)

Recent Activity

New FilesVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

MARKETPLACE

From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

I graduated from Lesley in the late 70's and there was no license in either MHC or CAT so we got masters in expressive arts therapies. I think once the state of MA decided to license people, Lesley changed its program to meet the needs of the license. I want to know why the grad programs keep turning out CATs when there are so few jobs...and why the grad programs aren't seriously involved with supporting the lobbying of the state.

Walters

Reminder - Dec 7th NYC Holiday SocialTo: "NADT" <LISTSERVLISTSERV (DOT) KSU.EDU>, "NYCCATlistserve" <NYCCATyahoogroups (DOT) com>, tristatechapter@ yahoogroups. com, "NYU" <nyudramatherapy@ yahoo.com>Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 1:02 PMJust a friendly reminder about our upcoming Chapter meeting...Happy Thansgiving!PLEASE JOIN US...NADT's Tri-State Chapter invites you to attend our annual Holiday Social!Sunday, December 75:30pm-8:30pm35 West 4th StreetRoom 303We invite you to reflect on the past year look forward to 2009 among friends and colleagues. Refreshments will be provided - and please feel free to bring your favorite holiday treat to share!RSVP is encouraged (but not necessary) - tristatechapter@ yahoogroups. comWe look forward to seeing you at the social!TRI-STATE CHAPTER Gaines, RDT, LCAT, MA, PresidentMark Beauregard, RDT, LCAT, MA, Vice President Peller, RDT, MA Recording SecretaryMeredith Dean, MA, Corresponding Secretary Rees, RDT, MA, TreasurerChloe Lara-Russack, Student Representative

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post Messages in this topic (4)

Recent Activity

New FilesVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Asthma Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

MARKETPLACE

From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

I would have to slightly disagree... I have a master's degree in art therapy from Pratt & M.Ed. in Moderate Special Needs from Lesley University, along with licensure in Art Education & Special Ed, Pre-K to 8 & currently very underemployed.

I find it TREMENDOUSLY difficult to find substantial employment in the Cambridge & surrounding areas (Boston is too far for me). When I first moved to Massachusetts, I tried to get a psychotherapy job, but with little luck. The few jobs that were out there wanted you to have a licensure already. Being from out of state, I found there was no reciprocity. I called Pratt to help me & they said they didn't know anything about the licensure process. Lesley had no desire to help me in this process. There is a a lot of criteria I don't have because I graduated from my first master's over 12 years ago (and no, none of my former supervisors had an ATR or licensure, except for one who disappeared) & found the licensure (for counseling) very confusing. I've gone to the Career Resource Center several times to address this issue, my difficulties in the education field, etc. & not only they weren't very helpf

ul, one person was downright rude & unprofessional during our meeting (and this is when I was a Lesley alumni).

I ended up working at a temp agency for direct care/counselor work for several years. I decided to go back to school because my career wasn't going anywhere & it seemed like a good decision. I ended up working at charter school, but eventually got fired due to medical reasons. I have been looking for work for over a year a half (almost 2 years) both in teaching and/or mental health with little luck. I found most mental health positions (of the minimal that is advertised- I haven't seen many postings at all) expect you to drive a van (which I can't) and already have licensure (I used to apply to jobs that required licensure, only to get shot down in the process).

The education field hasn't been much better... I've been trying to get a teacher's aide position- because professional positions are scarce, but I've had schools play games with me & then change the job requirements on me & recind job offers. Aide positions are not very secure because they can boot you out in the middle of the school year & there is no security about having a job the following year. Honestly, I have been feeling very down about the whole job market issue in the past several years & have not seen it get much better.

Maybe it's a bit better if someone went to Lesley in the first place for their Art Therapy degree, but there are still major budget-cuts and hiring freezes here to contend with as well. When I was temping, many times I heard from agencies that they would have loved to hire me if they had the money & they used to have art therapists. And where are the recreational therapists? Mostly, at residential programs it is direct care workers who try very hard to accommodate the children (at very low pay) and sometimes attempt their best to limit television watching & game consule playing. One place I temped at (for young adults), did not even have playing cards, let alone art supplies! I basically watched TV with the residents on one Christmas- I felt so bad for them, and that is the least of the issues I saw at residencies. :-(

I am not trying to discourage people - actually I love living here in Massachusetts (so many trees & quaint towns) & there are many things I actually prefer over to living in NYC (as much as NY has a soft spot in my heart), but you should also be aware of some of the challenges & difficulties that comes along with an area that used to be very rich with resources & strong awareness of special needs (and with that, a complex history- if you talk to adults who went through the mental health & special ed system), that has struggled with severe financial issues in the past 6 -7 years.

However, even though the Cambridge/Boston surrounding areas are only 4 hours away from NYC by car, I am astounded by the lack of communication & reciprocity between our areas. I am saddened how little professional networking we have in our field, especially in the New England area. We used to have the New England Art Therapy Association (in which the meetings were tiny) & now we have nada (since the leaders went in different professional fields)...