RemedySpot.com

New to the Group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I didn't notice he wrote that! I was planning on getting that book .. Just

looked thru it on amazon on sunday!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from my Windows Mobile powered device.

[aspires-relationsh ips] New to the Group

Can anyone tell me the title of Tony Attwood's self help book for adults

with aspergers ?

Thanks

Lowry

[The entire original message is not included]

Hi,

I have read some of his books, and had the opportunity to talk to him when he came to a conference in Atlanta few years back.

He said something I really did not like, neither appreciate at all. I think he is good to he is observation and has sold himself quite well. I prefer though a whole lot better Baron Cohen, I can not only understand his books better, I agree more with his views. He is more in tune with many of the people in the Spectrum.

The impression I got from Attwood is that he does not necessarily have faith in the autistic person, specially if they are adults. His overview was quite somber and of not much hopes. It was as if it was too late for a person with AS who was an adult to be malleable to a degree high enough to improve.

I did not feel he was believing much in what he has written, that is not what I picked up form Baron-Cohen's writings.

THAT is only my opinion, and I must certainly do not see Attwood as the prodigious guy many other people see. He writes well, and he knows his stuff; but he does not convince me he necessarily believes it is truly possible to improve a lot!

Some of Baron Cohen work can be found:

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/bios/baroncohen.htmll

http://www.lookingupautism.org/AutismBooks/

I also like a book named Explaining the enigma by Uta Frith.

Again one book which I believe helps the most about how the help the child with his physical problems (motor skills, sensory over stimulation or sensory overload) and how a child perceives and/or relates to the environment is: Sensory-Integration by jean Ayers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensory-Integration-Child-Jean-Ayers/dp/0874241588

The is one person whom I try to help to continue to make it alone out there, what works the best is "HANDS ON" and "active role playing".

Even though I am in the spectrum, I had to learn some autistic things I did not have in order to figure out how to help my friend. It was until I learned some stuff I did not have, that I was able to find the way out of that specific behaviour.

I think that the reason why I as able to overcome so much in the social world, was because my dad pushed me to things-- even against my own will-- Yet, he stud by my side while I went through them. Once I learned to navigate on my own, he will move to a next step.

It was hands on what got the "message through me", NOT words!

Word do not make sense or even have meaning UNLESS I experience things and then I could not only relate, but also "think" about better ways of doing something.

Even now, when I am going to learn an skill, I can read about it, I can form a general idea about it, but it is only by practicing it and "figuring the details out" that I am able to not only learn it but to modified it and perhaps improve it!

Hopefully this information can help you some.

Sincerely,

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.