RemedySpot.com

RE: A request...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some article i read somewhere along the way quoted it as a general reference.

Being in the IT industry, it's awfully easy to see around me. One interview i

did, the guy asked me to put my watch on the other arm at the beginning, then

put it back at the end. Afterward I asked why, he said Alot of guys freak when

he asks then to switch. He doesn't even know he's basically testing for

hardcore AS. He just thinks of it as people have a hard time dealing with

change.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from my T-Mobile Dash, a Windows Mobile powered device.

A request...

About ten days ago Usarian wrote:

> Morning! Welcome! Great place here!

>

> My name's Usarian, my wife posts here too, but uses the same address, so

> it can be confusing which of us is saying what.

>

> She's NT, I'm AS.

>

> I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT

> professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.

[ snip ]

I'm interested in the " 78% " figure you provided. Do you recall where

you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?

NOT trying to quarrel with the number. Not here anyway. ;) Just,

" inquiring minds want to know... "

- Bill, " older " , dx AS

--

WD " Bill " Loughman - Berkeley, California USA

http://home.earthlink.net/~wdloughman/wdl.htm

[The entire original message is not included]

.....and then you have my hubby and son ......hubby was a professional driver for years and now he and I have our own business walking dogs......my son is a professional long distance trucker. I have my own theory about their choices.....a) they have a real natural ability to drive and B) they don't have to deal with other people which is the source of much stress for them both and they are very detail oriented.

For hubby, working with me is much easier for him than working with fellow employees and dogs are so much easier for him than people. Lowrywww.brendagroupdogwalking.comAnimal Behavior and Training Associates Certified Dog TrainerSpecializing in Behaviour SolutionsAnimal Behavior College MentorCertified Evaluator Canine Good NeighbourCanadian Kennel ClubInternational Positive Dog Training AssociationCanadian Association of Professional Pet Dog TrainersODAWG AmbassadorProfessional Dog Groomer All BreedsProfessional Dog All Breeds

To: aspires-relationships Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:46:52 AMSubject: RE: A request...

Some article i read somewhere along the way quoted it as a general reference. Being in the IT industry, it's awfully easy to see around me. One interview i did, the guy asked me to put my watch on the other arm at the beginning, then put it back at the end. Afterward I asked why, he said Alot of guys freak when he asks then to switch. He doesn't even know he's basically testing for hardcore AS. He just thinks of it as people have a hard time dealing with change.------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -Sent from my T-Mobile Dash, a Windows Mobile powered device. [aspires-relationsh ips] A request...About ten days ago Usarian wrote:> Morning! Welcome! Great place here!> > My name's Usarian, my wife posts here too, but uses the same address, so > it can be confusing which of us is saying what.> > She's NT, I'm AS.> > I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT > professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.[ snip ]I'm interested in the "78%" figure you provided. Do you recall where you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?NOT trying to quarrel with the number. Not here anyway. ;) Just, "inquiring minds want to know..."- Bill, "older", dx AS-- WD "Bill" Loughman - Berkeley, California USAhttp://home. earthlink. net/~wdloughman/ wdl.htm[The entire original message is not included]

My Grandfather was a tanker truck driver his whole

life. He hardly ever spoke to anyone. He was brilliant

though.

Did difficult crossword puzzles daily until he died.

My father drove school bus of all things and straight

body

trucks.

I delivered pizza! But I don't think that

counts. I liked it because I had a scripted interaction with the

customer

and other than that it was just running and driving.

I've always thought of driving as a standard AS job

pick

because it is so inherently isolating.. kind of like the old farmers out in

the

field.

Actually, I think of Asperger's being a Farming thing

from

the beginning. Who would make a better farmer than the guy who thrives

on

solitude and routine?

Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:11 AM

To: aspires-relationships@ya

hoogroups.com

Subject: Re: A

request...

.....and then you have my hubby and son ......hubby was a professional

driver for years and now he and I have our own business walking

dogs......my son is a professional long distance trucker. I have my own

theory about their choices.....a) they have a real natural

ability to

drive and B) they don't have to deal with other people which is the

source

of much stress for them both and they are very detail oriented.

For hubby, working with me is much easier for him than

working

with fellow employees and dogs are so much easier for him than

people. Lowrywww.brendagroupdogwalking.com

Animal

Behavior and Training Associates Certified Dog TrainerSpecializing in

Behaviour SolutionsAnimal Behavior College MentorCertified Evaluator

Canine Good NeighbourCanadian Kennel ClubInternational Positive Dog

Training AssociationCanadian Association of Professional Pet Dog

TrainersODAWG AmbassadorProfessional Dog Groomer All

BreedsProfessional Dog All Breeds

<usarianbluebottle>To:

aspires-relationships Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008

10:46:52

AMSubject: RE:

A request...

Some article i read somewhere along the way quoted it as a general

reference.

Being in the IT industry, it's awfully easy to see around me. One interview

i

did, the guy asked me to put my watch on the other arm at the beginning,

then

put it back at the end. Afterward I asked why, he said Alot of guys freak

when

he asks then to switch. He doesn't even know he's basically testing for

hardcore

AS. He just thinks of it as people have a hard time dealing with

change.------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------

-

-Sent from my T-Mobile Dash, a Windows Mobile powered

device. [aspires-relationsh ips] A

request...About ten days ago Usarian wrote:> Morning!

Welcome!

Great place here!> > My name's Usarian, my wife posts here

too,

but uses the same address, so > it can be confusing which of us is

saying

what.> > She's NT, I'm AS.> > I'm a programmer,

you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT > professionals are

AS),

and have experienced myself what you describe.[ snip ]I'm

interested

in the "78%" figure you provided. Do you recall where you found it? I'd

appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?NOT trying to quarrel with

the

number. Not here anyway. ;) Just, "inquiring minds want to

know..."-

Bill, "older", dx AS-- WD "Bill" Loughman - Berkeley, California

USAhttp://home. earthlink. net/~wdloughman/

wdl.htm[The entire original message is not

included]

Its too bad farming is such a hard life at least here in Canada, our farmers work for pennies really. If it were more profitable perhaps more aspies would look at a career in farming. Lowrywww.brendagroupdogwalking.comAnimal Behavior and Training Associates Certified Dog TrainerSpecializing in Behaviour SolutionsAnimal Behavior College MentorCertified Evaluator Canine Good NeighbourCanadian Kennel ClubInternational Positive Dog Training AssociationCanadian Association of Professional Pet Dog TrainersODAWG AmbassadorProfessional Dog Groomer All BreedsProfessional Dog All Breeds

To: aspires-relationships Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:40:33 AMSubject: Re: A request...

My Grandfather was a tanker truck driver his whole life. He hardly ever spoke to anyone. He was brilliant though. Did difficult crossword puzzles daily until he died.

My father drove school bus of all things and straight body trucks.

I delivered pizza! But I don't think that counts. I liked it because I had a scripted interaction with the customer and other than that it was just running and driving.

I've always thought of driving as a standard AS job pick because it is so inherently isolating.. kind of like the old farmers out in the field.

Actually, I think of Asperger's being a Farming thing from the beginning. Who would make a better farmer than the guy who thrives on solitude and routine?

Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:11 AM

To: aspires-relationshi ps@ya hoogroups.com

Subject: Re: [aspires-relationsh ips] A request...

.....and then you have my hubby and son ......hubby was a professional driver for years and now he and I have our own business walking dogs......my son is a professional long distance trucker. I have my own theory about their choices..... a) they have a real natural ability to drive and B) they don't have to deal with other people which is the source of much stress for them both and they are very detail oriented.

For hubby, working with me is much easier for him than working with fellow employees and dogs are so much easier for him than people. Lowrywww.brendagroupdogw alking.comAnimal Behavior and Training Associates Certified Dog TrainerSpecializing in Behaviour SolutionsAnimal Behavior College MentorCertified Evaluator Canine Good NeighbourCanadian Kennel ClubInternational Positive Dog Training AssociationCanadian Association of Professional Pet Dog TrainersODAWG AmbassadorProfessional Dog Groomer All BreedsProfessional Dog All Breeds

From: Usarian <usarianbluebottle (DOT) com>To: aspires-relationshi psyahoogroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:46:52 AMSubject: RE: [aspires-relationsh ips] A request...

Some article i read somewhere along the way quoted it as a general reference. Being in the IT industry, it's awfully easy to see around me. One interview i did, the guy asked me to put my watch on the other arm at the beginning, then put it back at the end. Afterward I asked why, he said Alot of guys freak when he asks then to switch. He doesn't even know he's basically testing for hardcore AS. He just thinks of it as people have a hard time dealing with change.------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -------- - -Sent from my T-Mobile Dash, a Windows Mobile powered device. [aspires-relationsh ips] A request...About ten days ago Usarian wrote:> Morning! Welcome! Great place here!> > My name's Usarian, my wife posts here too, but uses the same address, so > it can be confusing which of us is saying what.> > She's NT, I'm AS.> > I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT > professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.[ snip ]I'm interested in the "78%" figure you provided. Do you recall where you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?NOT trying to quarrel with the number. Not here anyway. ;) Just, "inquiring minds want to know..."- Bill, "older", dx AS-- WD "Bill" Loughman - Berkeley, California USAhttp://home. earthlink. net/~wdloughman/ wdl.htm[The entire original message is not included]

Bill,

Down toward the end of this article by Temple Grandin, she mention Sowell's book about late talking children. He apparently mention 74% of the families of these kids have engineers somewhere in the family.

It might lead to finding what you are looking for.

http://www.autism.com/individuals/genius.htm

Lorelie

To: aspires-relationships From: wdloughman@...Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:50:08 -0800Subject: A request...

About ten days ago Usarian wrote:> Morning! Welcome! Great place here!> > My name's Usarian, my wife posts here too, but uses the same address, so > it can be confusing which of us is saying what.> > She's NT, I'm AS.> > I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT > professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.[ snip ]I'm interested in the "78%" figure you provided. Do you recall where you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?NOT trying to quarrel with the number. Not here anyway. ;) Just, "inquiring minds want to know..."- Bill, "older", dx AS-- WD "Bill" Loughman - Berkeley, California USAhttp://home.earthlink.net/~wdloughman/wdl.htm It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now.

Lorelie @ YOUNG wrote:

> Bill,

>

> Down toward the end of this article by Temple Grandin, she mention

> Sowell's book about late talking children. He apparently mention

> 74% of the families of these kids have engineers somewhere in the family.

>

> It might lead to finding what you are looking for.

>

> http://www.autism.com/individuals/genius.htm

Thanks. Yes, I know about that one. And the various figures here and

there about " technical " talent associated with " disorders " AND " running

in families " .

I'm interested in the IT (Information Technology) figure because of its

possible relationship to the *seminal* online article about " The 'Geek'

Syndrome " in Silicon Valley. [Wired News - Issue 9.12 - Dec 2001]

In which Wired provided a link to the original *online* " test " for

Asperger's.

Which really started the whole autism thing *on the Web*. Which is

shy of hard fact, and over-filled with speculation passing for " fact " .

NB: The test linked by Wired was Simon Baron-Cohen's " AQ " original.

- Bill

>

> Lorelie

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> To: aspires-relationships

> From: wdloughman@...

> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:50:08 -0800

> Subject: A request...

>

> About ten days ago Usarian wrote:

[ snip ]

> > I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78% of IT

> > professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.

> [ snip ]

>

> I'm interested in the " 78% " figure you provided. Do you recall where

> you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?

[ snip ]

- Bill, " older " , dx AS; ...geneticist

--

WD " Bill " Loughman - Berkeley, California USA

http://home.earthlink.net/~wdloughman/wdl.htm

This email trail seems to reinforce for me the notion that cognitive differencesunderpin the whole AS spectrum framework. Bill has also alluded tothis in past posts and I understand that the inclination is to treat ASas a pathological issue when in fact that stigmatizes it and leads to somedysfunctional responses from people when a diagnosis is made.Treating it as a cognitive spectrumseems a much better way. However the issue of behaviours still needsto have treatment for some from what I understand. I am relievedI live in Australia where there is no stigma as such unless the behavioursare excessive. Gregdx AS at 53 " Lorelie @ YOUNG " Sent by: aspires-relationships 22/12/2008 06:11 AMPlease respond toaspires-relationships Toaspires-relationships <aspires-relationships >ccSubjectRE: A request...Bill,Down toward the end of this article by Temple Grandin, she mention Sowell's book about late talking children. He apparently mention 74% ofthe families of these kids have engineers somewhere in the family.It might lead to finding what you are looking for. http://www.autism.com/individuals/genius.htmLorelieTo: aspires-relationships From: wdloughman@...Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:50:08 -0800Subject: A request...About ten days ago Usarian wrote:> Morning! Welcome! Great place here!> > My name's Usarian, my wife posts here too, but uses the same address,so > it can be confusing which of us is saying what.> > She's NT, I'm AS.> > I'm a programmer, like you husband. (it's been estimated that 78%of IT > professionals are AS), and have experienced myself what you describe.[ snip ]I'm interested in the " 78% " figure you provided. Do you recallwhere you found it? I'd appreciate a checkable reference. Anyone?NOT trying to quarrel with the number. Not here anyway. ;) Just, " inquiring minds want to know... " - Bill, " older " , dx AS-- WD " Bill " Loughman - Berkeley, California USAhttp://home.earthlink.net/~wdloughman/wdl.htmIt’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same†you mean up to70% faster. Getyour account now.