RemedySpot.com

AS culture, NT culture. How diversity training/le...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

TO YOU TOO!!!!!!!

Verónica

I like the brick and different colors for how long has someone been with a company approach. I would be in the Sapphire brick color if they did that where I work.

I can picture your wall too :-) One thing I have always enjoyed is how much you have talked about your work and the experiences you have had in it.

Work is very important to me, it gives me structure and I do well working. I do not do well at all if I do not work. I have to have a reason to live, and work is one of those reasons that gives me personal satisfaction and also structure to my life.

When I was little, I did not have and established routine....... With dad, no one had a routine, his routine was ours ;-) And looking back, it was helpful for me as did not have a choice. If he said, we are going to do something in the spur of the moment, it was done. So around him there was no thing such a routine.

About cultural differences and how learning about diversity can help AS and NT's to understand better:

I feel that if two people who are in a mixed (AS/NT) marriage, can positively benefit from learning how the other one feels.

I have come to realize this week that perhaps it is good to have a list of words with "what they mean to us" (AS or NT).

I am an Aspie with the ability to give an explanation on things, and if there are discrepancies between someone and I. I will ultimately say what I have meant by my words. I do so in an effort to state my intentions and not what someone might have perceived. I do so to leave things clear on my side, it is up to the person what they do with the information.

Yet, making a glossary of words and its meaning can help clear up some misunderstanding between AS and NT's to a degree. In any case, it would help understand each other better and to try to figure out "what is important to the person with whom we are sharing our life".

Again, happy holidays and enjoy all the goodies you might have.......

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Hi

Some adults "with" AS and professionals see AS as a different culture others see it differently and will continue to search for a cure which will not affect anyone living now. We have our differences. Having AS and living with it as a family is totally different as no 2 are alike and many have co-morbid conditions. This is a very important difference.

Families that are advocates will stop at nothing short of getting their kids the best services so they can be productive citizens.

I FF an email to a friend with AS and was not shocked by their response to the parent that was cold and saying let it go, move on with your life. You can't fix AS, it is up to them. OUCH! There are fundamental differences in our approach to AS. Hmmmmmm? Try talking to someone with AS and if they don't get it cut them out of your life????? OUCH. But that is the reality with many with AS and their approach to families. They tow the line like everyone else or get rid of them and move on. Black and white. No gray. <sigh>

Thank the world for those that are out of the box and gray thinkers with theory of mind who care and go the extra mile to appreciate and understand diversity. BUT, I agree with those when there is abuse no disability is an excuse and the rest of the world will hold them accountable. It is a mixed message. Welcome diversity or hold them accountable for behavior that hurts others.

You see this in the news every day. Parents bring an autistic kid to a restaurant where others lobby complaints. If your kid can't behave leave them home vs. my kid has autism, show some respect. It never ends and the real winners have always said, leave the kid home and that has come from many with AS not the NT population that will lobby that they have every right to bring their family to the establishment. It is not always an AS/NT issue. Your community is many times harsher than ours due to black and white thinking. Send them to jail. No mercy. They did the crime they do the time. Move on with your life. An NS response is to fight for awareness and justice many times and not walk away till it is the last option out of love.

Just me.