RemedySpot.com

Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In my grandson's elementary school, misbehavior gets them a trip to the office where they either sit in the principal's office or with another office employee. It has worked well for him.

Maurine

Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...To: EOHarm Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM

Our district does have a time out room but if they have a behavior, they are given the choice to voluntarily go in & calm down or get it together quickly. The door is shut if the kids want it shut & it doesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they learn self-regulation. This is what I have been shown & told. Never worked in the school & daughter is not in that room. Jenn L

Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...

It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have latelyregarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and evenworse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your schooldistrict uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint withoutBehavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuseof our children in your district please post a response or if it is toopersonal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activitymust come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before ourPresident Elect right after he comes into office I would really like tohave the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. Thepromise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth Iwill make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into anew beginning that will bring about much change in our EducationalClimate. In order for this to

happen we must overload the newAdministration with as much parental input as possible. I will beblocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the schooldistricts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. Themore responses I get to this the better... if you want to see thepromise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you knowof and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be usedfor anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), asour children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidatedand do not speak up when we know we can give information that may helpthe next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation youmay be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have toendure what you have had to.Even if it is not

with your child, please respond. Thank you all foryour input it is very much appreciated. E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office ofAdvocacy for Autistic Children============ =========Posted through Grouply, the better wayto access your Yahoo Groups like this one.http://www.grouply. com/?code= posttype_D

Our district does have a time out room but if they have a behavior, they are given the choice to voluntarily go in & calm down or get it together quickly. The door is shut if the kids want it shut & it doesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they learn self-regulation. This is what I have been shown & told. Never worked in the school & daughter is not in that room. Jenn L

It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have latelyregarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and evenworse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your schooldistrict uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint withoutBehavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuseof our children in your district please post a response or if it is toopersonal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activitymust come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before ourPresident Elect right after he comes into office I would really like tohave the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. Thepromise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth Iwill make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into anew beginning that will bring about much change in our EducationalClimate. In order for this to happen we must overload the newAdministration with as much parental input as possible. I will beblocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the schooldistricts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. Themore responses I get to this the better... if you want to see thepromise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you knowof and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be usedfor anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), asour children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidatedand do not speak up when we know we can give information that may helpthe next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation youmay be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have toendure what you have had to.Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all foryour input it is very much appreciated. E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office ofAdvocacy for Autistic Children=====================Posted through Grouply, the better wayto access your Yahoo Groups like this one.http://www.grouply.com/?code=posttype_D

Is it behavior related to his disability? Has a proper behavior plan been put in place? By law schools are required to do this. Keeping a child in the principals office is not a proper behavior intervention for a child with autism in certain circumstances (not speaking of your grandson Maurine/just in general) Often what I see is this sort of punishment in early elementary school. What happens is that these kids don't get the interventions they are entitled to under IDEA and then when they go on to middle school these behaviors have excalated and the authorities are now called. I cannot tell you how many children with autism get arrested in school. It is very disturbing. Our children are not criminals. There behaviors often reflect their disability. Rather than doing their job, the schools just call the police and take our kids

away.

Anyone who thinks time out rooms are harmless, please reseach the matter. First calling them "time out " rooms gives a false impression. They are really in many cases seclusion rooms. They are supposed to be used as a LAST RESORT and have actually been outlawed in many states. If your child cannot speak and has bad behaviors, you may never know if he/she is being restrained or isolated in a seclusions room for non threatening behavior. IDEA provides that our children receive a free and appropriate education- placing a child in an isolation room can amount to abuse and a denial of these rights. If I locked my child in a n isolation room or prone restrained him I would be in jail.

http://familiesagainstrestraintandseclusion.blogspot.com/

From: J lessard <jlessard1nycap (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM

It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have latelyregarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and evenworse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your schooldistrict uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint withoutBehavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuseof our children in your district please post a response or if it is toopersonal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activitymust come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before ourPresident Elect right after he comes into office I would really like tohave the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. Thepromise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth Iwill make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into anew beginning that will bring about much change in our EducationalClimate. In order for this to

happen we must overload the newAdministration with as much parental input as possible. I will beblocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the schooldistricts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. Themore responses I get to this the better... if you want to see thepromise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you knowof and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be usedfor anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), asour children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidatedand do not speak up when we know we can give information that may helpthe next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation youmay be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have toendure what you have had to.Even if it is not

with your child, please respond. Thank you all foryour input it is very much appreciated. E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office ofAdvocacy for Autistic Children============ =========Posted through Grouply, the better wayto access your Yahoo Groups like this one.http://www.grouply. com/?code= posttype_D

There is a teacher I had to pull my little girl from about 1+1/2 yrs. ago. It was seriously disturbing to say the least! I threw up the day I found out what was going on in her classroom. The teacher had favorite students who she worked one-one with ONLY. If the other students had behaviors she would put their lunch on top of the fridge & the "unruly" kids would try to get it & cry for the rest of the day. She would tell the parents the kids refused to eat & had a bad day. She would say mean things to them like "you're bad, if you keep it up, I'm going to spank your A@ & !". My daughter had severe gi issues at that time & I was trying to keep her from losing weight.

I was lied to about how much she a drinking while in school & she ended up with severe peeing problems, having to go to the hospital to get her kidneys checked & such from not peeing for almost a whole day. This was happening 3 times a week. Her IEP states she may only eat & drink what I send in from home due to food allergies & whatever eaten MUST be sent back home so I can keep her nutritionally balanced & gaining weight. Also, they were to write how many oz. she drank that day & if not 8oz. by noontime, I was to be called so I can make sure she got enough fluids. Her drinks came home the last day she went to that class or school. They were not even cracked open on the top. At that time she could not open them up initially & they knew that. She went to OT everyday. She had a fill-in aide that day being told what to do by the teacher. All this info. was told to me by 3 of the aides on 3 different occassions after I pulled my daughter out of there. The aides don't work in that classroom anymore. I highly suspected things as, incidences would arise that did not make sense. I found out another boy was also taken out of that class 6 month before my daughter was for not being allowed to have his lunch. I talked to his parents on the phone about it a couple of times. I remember how the guy in charge met me @ the classroom for my daughter's first day & told me if there were any problems, to contact him immediately. Why in the earth would someone say that to a parent on a child's first day? There must have already been problems.? I thought he would shake my hand & say, Welcome! I hope this is the nurturing environment that will help your daughter succeed. I did not hear that. When I found out I could do something legally, it was past the statute of limitations to press charges. I'd really like to know how to get her rotten name out there. I 'm running out of people I feel I can trust. Jenn L

It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have latelyregarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and evenworse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your schooldistrict uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint withoutBehavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuseof our children in your district please post a response or if it is toopersonal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activitymust come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before ourPresident Elect right after he comes into office I would really like tohave the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. Thepromise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth Iwill make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into anew beginning that will bring about much change in our EducationalClimate. In order for this to happen we must overload the newAdministration with as much parental input as possible. I will beblocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the schooldistricts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. Themore responses I get to this the better... if you want to see thepromise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you knowof and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be usedfor anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), asour children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidatedand do not speak up when we know we can give information that may helpthe next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation youmay be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have toendure what you have had to.Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all foryour input it is very much appreciated. E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office ofAdvocacy for Autistic Children=====================Posted through Grouply, the better wayto access your Yahoo Groups like this one.http://www.grouply.com/?code=posttype_D

In my son's class.. they have a coleman tent.. very cozy inside.. and if they feel they need to unstress or the teacher thinks they do.. they can go in with their favorite WHATEVER... Lia

Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...

To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) com

Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM

It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately

regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and even

worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school

district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without

Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuse

of our children in your district please post a response or if it is too

personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity

must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our

President Elect right after he comes into office I would really like to

have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The

promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I

will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into a

new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational

Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new

Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be

blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the school

districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The

more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the

promise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know

of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used

for anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.

I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), as

our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidated

and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help

the next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation you

may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have to

endure what you have had to.

Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for

your input it is very much appreciated.

E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of

Advocacy for Autistic Children

============ =========

Posted through Grouply, the better way

to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.

http://www.grouply. com/?code= post

type_D

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

I personally have seen time out rooms misused and

will not put my son in a school that has them.

Don't even want them to have the opportunity.

Ex. only:

What if there is a day that my child acts up and the

Para. is just tired, doesn't feel good and thinks "I'll

just put him in there to cool off". It is not my childs

fault that he was put in there. I have seen children

in time out rooms for over an hour. I've seen kids in

offices for over 1/2 a day. Do the parents know what

is really happening to their kids? I experienced a

friends child get set off by staff at school and the

behaviors were bad in throwing his folders and verbal.

Police came and set him off more then parents finally

arrived. Ended up in a Juvenile Detention because of

the school. Restraint - recommend asking all personnel

how do they restrain if necessary. My experience is

each school does it differently. And no one should be

restraining unless they have gone threw the training and

have a certificate. If a teacher or Para. has really good

instruction control of child and teaching then all should

go well. They all go loose now and then but you have

to keep that control and let them know who is boss.

Who is the boss? Give the child choices so it gives

them indepence. Use positive reinforcement and more

frequent reinforcers or breaks to get through the harder tasks.

YODA

From: J lessard <jlessard1nycap (DOT) rr.com>Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

Jenn,

I'm very glad your child is not in that room. If it is not a 'sensory

break room' it's illegal. It can't be called a Time Out ROOM. The

door must have a window in it and an aide or staff member must be at

the door looking through the window. The reason why I'm very 'on top'

of this is because children have been injured very badly in those

rooms.. If I find one in a school I'm doing an IEP at or have an

authorization from a parent to 'look at the classroom', I stay in the

Illegal Time Out room until the Police arrive and file a report

against the School on behalf of ALL children ever put in it.

Some aides have actually put their foot up against these non windowed

doors and it's the same as a lock. Over the last 12 years I've closed

them down in the state of California completely and now in Hawai'i

completely, I've also filed complaints in at least 20 other states

regarding them. I know what I do is 'radical' in the opinion of

some.. but in several cases I have worked on the children have either

picked at their skin until it bled, scratched at the walls until their

fingers bled, and so on.. you don't even want to know the worst case

scenario because it is exactly that. The WORST. I implore all that

know exactly where these rooms are to please email me offlist or to

post if you feel up to that. I will not divulge who gives me any

information on this but I will take Immediate action to shut the rooms

down. If it is for 'sensory breaks' it should be painted in a color

that is 'calming' such as light blue.. it must also have a desk in it

and educational materials. or it simply can't exist. Time Out is only

allowed outside of an enclosed room - Most of the Illegal Time out

rooms I have shut down had no windows on the door, locks, no windows

inside.. no ventilation.. one was next to the boiler and had ducting

going through it. I was soaked by the time the Police arrived, the

Officer was extremely upset as he had a relative with a child with

Aspergers. He told the principal to either make it into a storage room

or he would cite him on the spot. This is much more serious than many

people think. In the case I just typed about, they started moving

boxes in there immediately. I then met with the principal after the

Police left(It was a state trooper) and got a typed and signed letter

of apology that I dropped off at the local Newspapers Editorial

Office.. it was printed. If anyone reading this thinks that this is

'no big deal' meditate on this for a moment. In one case the worst

case scenario was a seizure related death..all because they paid no

attention to what they called ' Noise ' coming from the room. Now you

know why I will go to any length to shut these rooms down and file

complaints regarding them.

E. , Sr.

>

> Our district does have a time out room but if they have a behavior,

they are given the choice to voluntarily go in & calm down or get it

together quickly. The door is shut if the kids want it shut & it

doesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they learn

self-regulation. This is what I have been shown & told. Never worked

in the school & daughter is not in that room. Jenn L

> Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ?

Restraint ? Let me know...

>

>

> It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately

> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and

even

> worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school

> district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without

> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of

abuse

> of our children in your district please post a response or if it

is too

> personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity

> must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our

> President Elect right after he comes into office I would really

like to

> have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The

> promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I

> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led

into a

> new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational

> Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new

> Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be

> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the

school

> districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The

> more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the

> promise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know

> of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used

> for anything other then this unless you request help in your

situation.

> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then

God), as

> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel

intimidated

> and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help

> the next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation you

> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not

have to

> endure what you have had to.

> Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for

> your input it is very much appreciated.

> E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of

> Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> =====================

> Posted through Grouply, the better way

> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.

> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post

>

> type_D

>

Maureen -

Now that sounds like a school that has either learned their lesson the

hard way or is very caring of our kids. Thank you for the positive

report. I very much appreciate all the input parents have given on

and off list regarding this as there is no way I can try to 'police'

this without your input. Again.. Thank you all.

E. , The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

>

> Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse

? Restraint ? Let me know...

> To: EOHarm

> Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

doesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they learn

self-regulation. This is what I have been shown & told. Never worked

>

>

>

>

> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and even

> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuse

> of our children in your district please post a response or if it is too

> President Elect right after he comes into office I would really like to

> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into a

> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the school

> for anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.

> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), as

> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidated

> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have to

>

> ============ =========

> http://www.grouply. com/?code= post

>

> type_D

>

Thank you so much for your post. In the 'heat' of this kind of

situation sometimes I will overlook something that you hit right on

the head. Their MUST be a behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) that states

what to do when certain behaviors come forward. Parents must approve

of this plan. Many times in the past I have found that teachers that

are overburdened and don't have the 1:1 aides that should be there for

our kids will have their TA put them in the Time Out room and it is

like punishing a criminal. This is a subject I have deep compassion

for and always am trying to give up the 'Unforgiving Spirit' within me

that just wants to clobber the fools that use these rooms. They are

Illegal in EVERY state. It must be called a 'Sensory Break' room.

Time out was banned in the mid 90's after a child died in one in

Kelseyville, Calif. . I spent about a week dodging reporters redoing

the IEP's for all the kids that were in that scandalous district. The

worst part about all of it...is my son would have been in the class if

I had not of moved the year previous to that happening. Being the

Spokesman for that family was one of the hardest things I've ever

done. Your post should really shed the light on parents that know you

on this list. I can only spread myself out so much.. so I really

appreciate this.

E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> From: J lessard <jlessard1nycap (DOT) rr.com>

> To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ============ =========

>

> type_D

>

Lia,

Again this hits on whether or not there is a BIP in place that allows

them to do this. Although I believe that your district is using this

as a 'sensory break' room and not a timeout room. In the very

'upsetting' case I responded to on the time out room was 5x7,

made out of plywood and 2x4's and had scratch marks inside of it that

were deep into the plywood and showed streaks of blood. This is how

bad some districts are - they're excuse on this one was 'They didn't

know better'. The local Sheriff didn't buy that at all and arrested

the Teacher for Child Abuse and Suspicion of Involuntary Manslaughter.

The Teacher fled the country and was caught in Italy shortly

thereafter. Later that month the DA indicted the teacher and the

principal that ordered it built for 2nd degree Manslaughter. Both went

to prison. This does not replace a child. Make sure your district

(ALL Parents) has given you a copy of your child's behavior

Intervention plan.

E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

doesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they?learn

self-regulation. This?is what I have been shown & told. Never worked

in the school & daughter is not in that room. Jenn L?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ============ =========

>

> type_D

>

Yoda,

Excellent Post, This is exactly what happened in the mid 90's with

the child that died in the Time Out Room. The other 27 (Yes, that's

27) Children that were put in the same room that year ( and this is a

small district) were subject to: Urinating on themselves in it, Came

home with old feces in their pants, missing fingernails, torn up

clothes that were new, bodily lesions from picking at themselves, and

on and on. I know this is hard to swallow.. but it's important we are

educated on what has and still is happening. I implore you all..

Please email me offlist and let me know WHAT Districts you know of

that have these rooms. PLEASE.

Thank you, E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ============ =========

>

> type_D

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations – including songs

for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

>

Jenn,

Please email me offlist. You stated <When I found out I could do

something legally, it was past the statute of limitations to press

charges. I'd really like to know how to get her rotten name out

there.> .. There is a 2 yr Statute of Lim. on Due Process - How is

your IEP ? If you need additional or ANYTHING.. Now is the time to

act. Sometimes Justice comes in other ways. The school district could

still be looking at a Civil Action based on documents or motions made

in a Due Process even if it has nothing to do with the abuse your

little girl went through. It is still part of Discovery and becomes

Public Record which is then used many times by parents to engage in

other actions. I would love to help you on this..and I have no

problem handling it discretely without your name ever getting out if

you just want it exposed. Lord help me.. I need to forgive these

FOOLS for how they have treated our children. That doesn't mean he

will forgive them.. I just need to or I will burst with anger.

I find it 'healing' to Advocate and Lobby on the behalf of our

children - we all must do what ever part we can in this battle for

FAPE, LRE, The destructed environment our children have fallen victim

to, and especially the stupidity of some school district employees.

Please email me. Thank you.

Micahel E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> ,

> There is a teacher I had to pull my little girl from about 1+1/2

yrs. ago. It was seriously disturbing to say the least! I threw up the

day I found out what was going on in her classroom. The teacher had

favorite students who she worked one-one with ONLY. If the other

students had behaviors she would put their lunch on top of the fridge

& the " unruly " kids would try to get it & cry for the rest of the day.

She would tell the parents the kids refused to eat & had a bad day.

She would say mean things to them like " you're bad, if you keep it up,

I'm going to spank your A@ & ! " . My daughter had severe gi issues at

that time & I was trying to keep her from losing weight.

> I was lied to about how much she a drinking while in school & she

ended up with severe peeing problems, having to go to the hospital to

get her kidneys checked & such from not peeing for almost a whole day.

This was happening 3 times a week. Her IEP states she may only eat &

drink what I send in from home due to food allergies & whatever eaten

MUST be sent back home so I can keep her nutritionally balanced &

gaining weight. Also, they were to write how many oz. she drank that

day & if not 8oz. by noontime, I was to be called so I can make sure

she got enough fluids. Her drinks came home the last day she went to

that class or school. They were not even cracked open on the top. At

that time she could not open them up initially & they knew that. She

went to OT everyday. She had a fill-in aide that day being told what

to do by the teacher. All this info. was told to me by 3 of the aides

on 3 different occassions after I pulled my daughter out of there. The

aides don't work in that classroom anymore. I highly suspected things

as, incidences would arise that did not make sense. I found out

another boy was also taken out of that class 6 month before my

daughter was for not being allowed to have his lunch. I talked to his

parents on the phone about it a couple of times. I remember how the

guy in charge met me @ the classroom for my daughter's first day &

told me if there were any problems, to contact him immediately. Why in

the earth would someone say that to a parent on a child's first day?

There must have already been problems.? I thought he would shake my

hand & say, Welcome! I hope this is the nurturing environment that

will help your daughter succeed. I did not hear that. When I found out

I could do something legally, it was past the statute of limitations

to press charges. I'd really like to know how to get her rotten name

out there. I 'm running out of people I feel I can trust. Jenn L

>

>

> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and

even

> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of

abuse

> of our children in your district please post a response or if it

is too

> President Elect right after he comes into office I would really

like to

> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led

into a

> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the

school

> for anything other then this unless you request help in your

situation.

> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then

God), as

> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel

intimidated

> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not

have to

>

> =====================

> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post

>

> type_D

>

It's so hard to gather your head in the heat of these things. I guess my point is also that we need to stop these bad behaviors with a proper PBIP BEFORe it gets to the point of restraints and isolation. Under fed law the schools are supposed to have these but often they are not done by a true behaviorist (certified) and not implemented propely. Here is where the fight should be from the begninning Getting the PBIP written up properly and implemented in an effective fashion. Best way is to keep tabs and monitor data. Money is an issue for schools HOWEVER, under IDEA it is not an excuse to preclude a child from receiving their unique services so I ignore that fact. Keep up the fight! Unfortunately parents are really not made aware of what really goes on in schools mostly b/cschools are not required to inform. It is truly a shocking situation being in this

day and age. Feel free to email me offline anytime.

Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...To: EOHarm Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 1:44 AM

,Thank you so much for your post. In the 'heat' of this kind ofsituation sometimes I will overlook something that you hit right onthe head. Their MUST be a behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) that stateswhat to do when certain behaviors come forward. Parents must approveof this plan. Many times in the past I have found that teachers thatare overburdened and don't have the 1:1 aides that should be there forour kids will have their TA put them in the Time Out room and it islike punishing a criminal. This is a subject I have deep compassionfor and always am trying to give up the 'Unforgiving Spirit' within methat just wants to clobber the fools that use these rooms. They areIllegal in EVERY state. It must be called a 'Sensory Break' room. Time out was banned in the mid 90's after a child died in one inKelseyville, Calif. . I spent about a week dodging reporters redoingthe IEP's for all the

kids that were in that scandalous district. Theworst part about all of it...is my son would have been in the class ifI had not of moved the year previous to that happening. Being theSpokesman for that family was one of the hardest things I've everdone. Your post should really shed the light on parents that know youon this list. I can only spread myself out so much.. so I reallyappreciate this. E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children> > From: J lessard <jlessard1nycap (DOT) rr.com>> Subject: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse? Restraint ? Let me know...> To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) com> Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:25 AM> > > > > > Our district does have a time out room but if they have a behavior,they are given the choice to voluntarily go in & calm down or get ittogether quickly. The door is shut if the kids want it shut &

itdoesn't have a lock on the door. If they are given time, they learnself-regulation. This is what I have been shown & told. Never workedin the school & daughter is not in that room. Jenn L > > Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ?Restraint ? Let me know...> > > > It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, and even> worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school> district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard of abuse> of our children in your district please post a

response or if it is too> personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity> must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our> President Elect right after he comes into office I would really like to> have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The> promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be led into a> new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational> Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new> Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out the school> districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The> more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the> promise we were given

kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know> of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used> for anything other then this unless you request help in your situation.> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other then God), as> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feel intimidated> and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help> the next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation you> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may not have to> endure what you have had to.> Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for> your input it is very much appreciated.> E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of> Advocacy for Autistic Children> > ============ =========> Posted through Grouply, the better

way> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.> http://www.grouply. com/?code= post> > type_D>

I am horrified by these cases of abuse I have heard. Thank you for doing what you're doing to help our kids stay safe! Jenn L

Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ?Restraint ? Let me know...> > > It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, andeven> worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school> district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard ofabuse> of our children in your district please post a response or if itis too> personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity> must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our> President Elect right after he comes into office I would reallylike to> have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The> promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be ledinto a> new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational> Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new> Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out theschool> districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The> more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the> promise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know> of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used> for anything other then this unless you request help in yoursituation.> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other thenGod), as> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feelintimidated> and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help> the next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation you> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may nothave to> endure what you have had to.> Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for> your input it is very much appreciated.> E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of> Advocacy for Autistic Children> > =====================> Posted through Grouply, the better way> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post> > type_D>

Can you send me a private email? I would love to chat with you about this. Jenn L

Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ?Restraint ? Let me know...> > > It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, andeven> worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school> district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard ofabuse> of our children in your district please post a response or if itis too> personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity> must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our> President Elect right after he comes into office I would reallylike to> have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The> promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be ledinto a> new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational> Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new> Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out theschool> districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The> more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the> promise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know> of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used> for anything other then this unless you request help in yoursituation.> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other thenGod), as> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feelintimidated> and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help> the next child in line. I know it's hard to handle the situation you> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may nothave to> endure what you have had to.> Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for> your input it is very much appreciated.> E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of> Advocacy for Autistic Children> > =====================> Posted through Grouply, the better way> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post> > type_D>

I am a NY state parent-2-parent support parent & know the educational laws quite well & how to get what I need. I don't know much about other laws though. We are now in our home district in a boces classroom. IN another boces clasroom there, there is a time out room. It was introduced to me as a Time Out Room when I went to check out the room. I told them they do not have my permission for my daughter to be in that classroom & they were never to use the time out room for her. The CSE told me it would help them with self-regulation. I said there are other ways to teach that. I have never seen it be used before for a child & there is a a window on the door & there is no lock. I am closterphobic & couldn't even get in to see what it would be like. The CSE is a type of person with low stress tolerance so I could see her putting her foot up against the door keeping the child from escaping, even though she isn't really a teacher. Not sure if this room has ventilation & my daughter used to have seizures so I empathize with the parents who lost their little one on account of this abuse. Anyway, I suspect the use of the room will probably be picking up due to an influx of children with ASD's that are aging up to the rooms where this one time out room is. I was told the kids behavior is scary & they will be training aides in safety with & around these kids. Jenn L