RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think that film, even the brief trailer, speaks to us in a number of ways. I was in tears, after watching the trailer, recalling similar scenes with some of my own kids in our daily lives, some years ago. After I dried off my tears, I thanked God that my kids have progressed, and are no longer in that same place now. However, some of the scenes hit very close to home with me, especially the one with the boy creeping into a small space, under a bed, it looked like. My youngest son did that too, upon occasion, and it totally creeped me out because I did not know why he was doing that, when I was trying to understand him, before he was diagnosed with ASD.

Aasa

Subject: Re: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.To: EOHarm Received: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 1:16 AM

I watched The Black Balloon in September with my mother. While we werechatting and waiting for the film to start, my mother shared with methat my husband thinks I'm obsessed with recovery. At the end of thefilm, as the house lights rose, she looked at and smiled saying, "I'mglad you're obsessed."The film made me cry, but it also made me laugh. It's more about howautism can affect siblings and the entire family unit. It's also aboutunconditional love.Perhaps difficult for some to watch, but it helps bring understandingin regards to the struggles of some families with classic/severeautism. It is not a film that inspires hope, not does it tackle theissue of recovery, but in my humble opinion, it's a film worthviewing. They don't sugar-coat autism at all, as they portraypoop-smearing, running, head-banging and more. It's very real.I thought it was brilliant. I thought it was

POWERFUL.Here's the official site:http://www.theblack balloonmovie. com/>> > > > > http://movies. nytimes.com/ movie/449504/ The-Black- Balloon/trailers>