RemedySpot.com

Heavy Metal Testing for Anyone?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

In talking to various people in my community about a cement plant in town, which is the largest mercury polluter in NY state, the question keeps coming up about how to test for mercury. I know there are differing opinions on this so I'm not sure what to tell people. Here's a list of options and if anyone has a chance, I'd love to hear what you think would be the best test for people who likely don't have any disposable income (not that many of us do), limited access to a doctor who "gets it," and a test that is credible enough to stand up in court -- because that's where this issue may be headed. And certainly correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumption here...

Blood or Urine Test - Only tests very recent exposure and will only show up if you're an excreter.

Hair Test - Since hair is another way we excrete metals, non-excreters will have low mercury. Could use Andy Cutler counting method, but I personally think it's a litte too complicated for some people to get and not sure if it would stand up in court.

Provoked Urine Challenge Test - I think this is pretty accurate to measure if there are levels stored within the tissue and organs of body, but only certain doctors will do them and the safety of such a high does of chelator is controversial.

Poryphorin Test - I don't know much about this test. I think it may be fairly accurate, but I've heard negative things as well.

Baby Teeth - I've heard of a lab where you can send your baby teeth for testing. This sounds like a neat idea if the person kept their (or their child's) baby teeth. Can't verify accuracy level though.

It's sort of frustrating that there's not one failsafe test that's easy to do for anyone. Not sure if I missed anything, but I welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

Thanks,

Elyse