Rate this topic

Guest guest

" Dr. Punyko said she had conferred with officials at the CDC on how to

best measure the rate of autism in this particular population, but that

she was still waiting for data requested from Minneapolis Public Schools

(MPS), even though she had put together a panel of experts to examine

the issue back in August. "

Say what? They were able to pull off a complete headcount in Brick in a few

months, including going door to door canvasing in some neighborhoods looking for

children who were rumored to be kept in " the back bedroom " . How many Somalis

can be in the targeted city in MN? Seems to me that if they were serious about

getting a headcount, all they would have to do is get the word out to the

schools that Somoali parents who had an autistic child needed to bring their

child to a specified location on a specified day, and they could have their

diagnosticians confirm the diagnosis on the spot. We already know what the

benchmark is (1 in 150). They could easily get the schools to tell them how

many Somali kids there are in total in the school system (I am willing to be the

schools already have that number at hand).

I believe the technical term for Dr. Punky's comments is " obfuscation " .

Still,They could miss some students, because parents' willingness to come forward does depend also on cultural issues. If parents feel stigmatized for some reason, or feel like their children will be stigmatized by being labelled, they may be less likely to volunteer their information. I have been a reader of TIME magazine for several decades now, and I was amazed (and dismayed) by the recent Canadian edition covers. I did not appreciate that photo of Obama as the next Roosevelt; that was totally disgusting (Have any of you watched "Zeitgeist" recently? It is available on the internet if you haven't). The next edition of TIME magazine brings us articles about "The Sorry State of American Health". I haven't read through all of that yet, but I would wager that the health issues of the Somali immigrant children will not have been touched upon

there. BFN,Off to check out the TIME rag with a thermometer in someone's mouth on the cover,AasaSubject: Re:Age of Autism: Minnesota and the CDC Confer on Somali Autism SituatiTo: EOHarm Received: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 11:52 PM

"Dr. Punyko said she had conferred with officials at the CDC on how to

the issue back in August."

Say what? They were able to pull off a complete headcount in Brick in a few months, including going door to door canvasing in some neighborhoods looking for children who were rumored to be kept in "the back bedroom". How many Somalis can be in the targeted city in MN? Seems to me that if they were serious about getting a headcount, all they would have to do is get the word out to the schools that Somoali parents who had an autistic child needed to bring their child to a specified location on a specified day, and they could have their diagnosticians confirm the diagnosis on the spot. We already know what the benchmark is (1 in 150). They could easily get the schools to tell them how many Somali kids there are in total in the school system (I am willing to be the schools already have that number at hand).

I believe the technical term for Dr. Punky's comments is "obfuscation" .

Eegads, it was only a tongue depressor. But still.,,,,From: Dad Fourkids <dad_4_kidsyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re:Age of Autism: Minnesota and the CDC Confer on Somali Autism SituatiTo: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comReceived: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 11:52 PM

"Dr. Punyko said she had conferred with officials at the CDC on how to

the issue back in August."

Say what? They were able to pull off a complete headcount in Brick in a few months, including going door to door canvasing in some neighborhoods looking for children who were rumored to be kept in "the back bedroom". How many Somalis can be in the targeted city in MN? Seems to me that if they were serious about getting a headcount, all they would have to do is get the word out to the schools that Somoali parents who had an autistic child needed to bring their child to a specified location on a specified day, and they could have their diagnosticians confirm the diagnosis on the spot. We already know what the benchmark is (1 in 150). They could easily get the schools to tell them how many Somali kids there are in total in the school system (I am willing to be the schools already have that number at hand).

I believe the technical term for Dr. Punky's comments is "obfuscation" .