RemedySpot.com

Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This preview killed me. It might be a little too real for

some of us to go to, however I'm wondering if they are going to release it in

the US. Does anyone know? One online sight I saw said that it would

be released in the US in October. Here's an article on the sister who

wrote the film

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-ca-indieeye30-2008nov30,0,3773672.story

'The Black Balloon' is

close to home for Elissa Down

The writer-director's

film was inspired by her autistic younger brother.

By King

November 30, 2008

Throughout her childhood, Australian filmmaker Elissa Down was

constantly running after her youngest brother, , who is autistic, suffers

from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is a selective mute.

" He would run down the street in his underpants, and I'd pull him out of

toilets in people's homes, " says Down. " He played in his pooh. He

chewed tampons. And of course, I got frustrated, I got angry. I wished he was

normal. I wished I had a different family. "

FOR

THE RECORD:

Ads by Google

Autism Research Findings

Explore

recent findings from worlds largest online research database

www.ianproject.org

Autism Teaching Materials

Social

stories, lesson plans, sensory activities, and more.

www.autisminspiration.com

2 Flat Stomach Rules-Obey

Obey

these 2 rules. See how I did it!

JennasNewLife.com

The

Indie Eye: In Sunday's Calendar, a photo caption with a column about filmmaker

Elissa Down's " The Black Balloon " incorrectly said " she says it

was difficult watching a version of her life unfold in filming. " As the

column reported, she said it was not difficult. —

, who is now 26, was the inspiration for her first feature film, " The

Black Balloon, " which opens Friday.

The heartwarming drama, which won best feature film at the Berlin International

Film Festival, in the Generation 14plus section, revolves around (Rhys

Wakefield), a 16-year-old who has moved all around Australia because his father

is in the army.

The family has just relocated into a new home in suburban Sydney. And it

doesn't take long for his oldest brother, Charlie (Luke Ford), who is autistic,

has ADHD and is mute, to cause him embarrassment and draw catty remarks from

the neighbors who don't understand autism.

Toni Collette plays their mother, who is dealing with a difficult pregnancy,

and model Gemma Ward plays ' beautiful girlfriend, who wants to befriend

Charlie.

In real life, Down has three younger brothers, the eldest of whom also is

autistic. But she doesn't like to talk much about him or reveal his name,

because " he doesn't like to know that people talk about his autism, "

she says. " He's very intelligent. He is like the 'Rain Man'

character. "

Brother , she says, was initially diagnosed with ADHD as a child.

" It's when they put him on Ritalin they discovered he was autistic,

because all of his behaviors slowed down, " Down says. " They noticed

there was a repetitive nature to it. "

Though the movie is semiautobiographical, Down didn't want " Black

Balloon " to be a memoir of her life. " It would seem a bit movie of

the week, " she explains. " We wanted to rework the story and the plot

and the characters to fit into a movie structure and to make it entertaining

for an audience. "

The majority of the response to the film has been overwhelmingly positive, Down

says: " Most people love it and laugh and cry. " So she was shocked to

learn that some moviegoers have walked out angry.

" It's because some of them realize they were the kid who threw the

chocolate milk at the autistic bus or the neighbor [who made rude comments]. Or

they say, 'If I was the father, I would have walked out on the family.' I

didn't realize the film would make people feel guilty, even though it's an

uplifting story about love and acceptance and family. "

Down says it wasn't difficult to watch a version of her life unfold during the

filming.

" I see this as a film now, because all of that emotional stuff came out in

the writing -- to tell a story honestly from the heart, " she says.

" But by the time I got to the directing stage, it was a film and

characters. "

Save for Ford. " I would find myself calling him , " she admits.

" Luke was so eerily like my brother. My grandma saw a picture of Luke in

the paper and thought it was ! "

All three of Down's brothers still live at home, with the middle one helping

her parents take care of and the older sibling.

" What I am seeing with my brothers is they are getting more into their

autistic shell, " she says. " The older one doesn't leave the house.

will still go out and do stuff. But I think they miss the social

interaction they used to get in school. "

King is a Times staff writer.

susan.king@...

EOHarm [mailto:EOHarm ] On Behalf Of blu

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 9:28 AM

To: EOHarm

Subject: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black

Balloon.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/449504/The-Black-Balloon/trailers

yes, it will be realeased in big cities such as Los angleles and NYC. That's why they reviewed it, I suppose. doesn't helop me much in the deep south.

M

Subject: RE: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.To: EOHarm Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 10:57 AM

This preview killed me. It might be a little too real for some of us to go to, however I'm wondering if they are going to release it in the US. Does anyone know? One online sight I saw said that it would be released in the US in October. Here's an article on the sister who wrote the film

http://www.latimes. com/entertainmen t/news/movies/ la-ca-indieeye30 -2008nov30, 0,3773672. story

'The Black Balloon' is close to home for Elissa Down

The writer-director' s film was inspired by her autistic younger brother.

By King November 30, 2008

Throughout her childhood, Australian filmmaker Elissa Down was constantly running after her youngest brother, , who is autistic, suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is a selective mute."He would run down the street in his underpants, and I'd pull him out of toilets in people's homes," says Down. "He played in his pooh. He chewed tampons. And of course, I got frustrated, I got angry. I wished he was normal. I wished I had a different family."

FOR THE RECORD:

Ads by Google

Autism Research Findings

Explore recent findings from worlds largest online research database

www.ianproject. org

Social stories, lesson plans, sensory activities, and more.

www.autisminspirati on.com

Obey these 2 rules. See how I did it!

JennasNewLife. com

The Indie Eye: In Sunday's Calendar, a photo caption with a column about filmmaker Elissa Down's "The Black Balloon" incorrectly said "she says it was difficult watching a version of her life unfold in filming." As the column reported, she said it was not difficult. —

, who is now 26, was the inspiration for her first feature film, "The Black Balloon," which opens Friday.The heartwarming drama, which won best feature film at the Berlin International Film Festival, in the Generation 14plus section, revolves around (Rhys Wakefield), a 16-year-old who has moved all around Australia because his father is in the army.The family has just relocated into a new home in suburban Sydney. And it doesn't take long for his oldest brother, Charlie (Luke Ford), who is autistic, has ADHD and is mute, to cause him embarrassment and draw catty remarks from the neighbors who don't understand autism.Toni Collette plays their mother, who is dealing with a difficult pregnancy, and model Gemma Ward plays ' beautiful girlfriend, who wants to befriend Charlie.In real life, Down has three

younger brothers, the eldest of whom also is autistic. But she doesn't like to talk much about him or reveal his name, because "he doesn't like to know that people talk about his autism," she says. "He's very intelligent. He is like the 'Rain Man' character."Brother , she says, was initially diagnosed with ADHD as a child. "It's when they put him on Ritalin they discovered he was autistic, because all of his behaviors slowed down," Down says. "They noticed there was a repetitive nature to it."Though the movie is semiautobiographica l, Down didn't want "Black Balloon" to be a memoir of her life. "It would seem a bit movie of the week," she explains. "We wanted to rework the story and the plot and the characters to fit into a movie structure and to make it entertaining for an audience."The majority of the response to the film has been overwhelmingly positive, Down says: "Most people love it and laugh and cry." So she was

shocked to learn that some moviegoers have walked out angry."It's because some of them realize they were the kid who threw the chocolate milk at the autistic bus or the neighbor [who made rude comments]. Or they say, 'If I was the father, I would have walked out on the family.' I didn't realize the film would make people feel guilty, even though it's an uplifting story about love and acceptance and family."Down says it wasn't difficult to watch a version of her life unfold during the filming."I see this as a film now, because all of that emotional stuff came out in the writing -- to tell a story honestly from the heart," she says. "But by the time I got to the directing stage, it was a film and characters."Save for Ford. "I would find myself calling him ," she admits. "Luke was so eerily like my brother. My grandma saw a picture of Luke in the paper and thought it was !"All three of Down's brothers still

live at home, with the middle one helping her parents take care of and the older sibling."What I am seeing with my brothers is they are getting more into their autistic shell," she says. "The older one doesn't leave the house. will still go out and do stuff. But I think they miss the social interaction they used to get in school."King is a Times staff writer.susan.kinglatimes (DOT) com

From: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:EOHarm@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of bluSent: Friday, December 05, 2008 9:28 AMTo: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.

http://movies. nytimes.com/ movie/449504/ The-Black- Balloon/trailers

It made me cry and my son is not severe. I guess I should have warned everyone that it could be difficult to watch. Sorry about that.

Subject: RE: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.To: EOHarm Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 7:57 AM

This preview killed me. It might be a little too real for some of us to go to, however I'm wondering if they are going to release it in the US. Does anyone know? One online sight I saw said that it would be released in the US in October. Here's an article on the sister who wrote the film

http://www.latimes. com/entertainmen t/news/movies/ la-ca-indieeye30 -2008nov30, 0,3773672. story

The writer-director' s film was inspired by her autistic younger brother.

By King November 30, 2008

Throughout her childhood, Australian filmmaker Elissa Down was constantly running after her youngest brother, , who is autistic, suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is a selective mute."He would run down the street in his underpants, and I'd pull him out of toilets in people's homes," says Down. "He played in his pooh. He chewed tampons. And of course, I got frustrated, I got angry. I wished he was normal. I wished I had a different family."

FOR THE RECORD:

Ads by Google

Autism Research Findings

Explore recent findings from worlds largest online research database

www.ianproject. org

Social stories, lesson plans, sensory activities, and more.

www.autisminspirati on.com

Obey these 2 rules. See how I did it!

JennasNewLife. com

The Indie Eye: In Sunday's Calendar, a photo caption with a column about filmmaker Elissa Down's "The Black Balloon" incorrectly said "she says it was difficult watching a version of her life unfold in filming." As the column reported, she said it was not difficult. —

, who is now 26, was the inspiration for her first feature film, "The Black Balloon," which opens Friday.The heartwarming drama, which won best feature film at the Berlin International Film Festival, in the Generation 14plus section, revolves around (Rhys Wakefield), a 16-year-old who has moved all around Australia because his father is in the army.The family has just relocated into a new home in suburban Sydney. And it doesn't take long for his oldest brother, Charlie (Luke Ford), who is autistic, has ADHD and is mute, to cause him embarrassment and draw catty remarks from the neighbors who don't understand autism.Toni Collette plays their mother, who is dealing with a difficult pregnancy, and model Gemma Ward plays ' beautiful girlfriend, who wants to befriend Charlie.In real life, Down has three

younger brothers, the eldest of whom also is autistic. But she doesn't like to talk much about him or reveal his name, because "he doesn't like to know that people talk about his autism," she says. "He's very intelligent. He is like the 'Rain Man' character."Brother , she says, was initially diagnosed with ADHD as a child. "It's when they put him on Ritalin they discovered he was autistic, because all of his behaviors slowed down," Down says. "They noticed there was a repetitive nature to it."Though the movie is semiautobiographica l, Down didn't want "Black Balloon" to be a memoir of her life. "It would seem a bit movie of the week," she explains. "We wanted to rework the story and the plot and the characters to fit into a movie structure and to make it entertaining for an audience."The majority of the response to the film has been overwhelmingly positive, Down says: "Most people love it and laugh and cry." So she was

shocked to learn that some moviegoers have walked out angry."It's because some of them realize they were the kid who threw the chocolate milk at the autistic bus or the neighbor [who made rude comments]. Or they say, 'If I was the father, I would have walked out on the family.' I didn't realize the film would make people feel guilty, even though it's an uplifting story about love and acceptance and family."Down says it wasn't difficult to watch a version of her life unfold during the filming."I see this as a film now, because all of that emotional stuff came out in the writing -- to tell a story honestly from the heart," she says. "But by the time I got to the directing stage, it was a film and characters."Save for Ford. "I would find myself calling him ," she admits. "Luke was so eerily like my brother. My grandma saw a picture of Luke in the paper and thought it was !"All three of Down's brothers still

live at home, with the middle one helping her parents take care of and the older sibling."What I am seeing with my brothers is they are getting more into their autistic shell," she says. "The older one doesn't leave the house. will still go out and do stuff. But I think they miss the social interaction they used to get in school."King is a Times staff writer.susan.kinglatimes (DOT) com

From: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) com [mailto:EOHarm@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of bluSent: Friday, December 05, 2008 9:28 AMTo: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comSubject: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.

This is a first for me, too,...getting teary-eyed watching a short movie trailer (saw some "snapshots" of one of my sons there, also).

Aasa

From: Chap'N'Alli <chapnallicomcast (DOT) net>Subject: RE: Fw: Movie about teenager with severe autism. The Black Balloon.To: EOHarmyahoogroups (DOT) comDate: Friday, December 5, 2008, 7:57 AM

The writer-director' s film was inspired by her autistic younger brother. By King November 30, 2008

FOR THE RECORD: Ads by Google Autism Research Findings Explore recent findings from worlds largest online research database www.ianproject. org Autism Teaching Materials Social stories, lesson plans, sensory activities, and more. www.autisminspirati on.com 2 Flat Stomach Rules-Obey Obey these 2 rules. See how I did it! JennasNewLife. com The Indie Eye: In Sunday's Calendar, a photo caption with a column about filmmaker Elissa Down's "The Black Balloon" incorrectly said "she says it was difficult watching a version of her life unfold in filming." As the column reported, she said it was not difficult. —