RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Does your district have time out /great yahoo group to join

Rate this topic

Guest guest

for those interested this group is a great source for parents. The members are very well versed on this topic.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RESTRAINT_INFO/join

Also, I am always hearing from teachers about using abusive techniques and justifying them as therapeutic (OT type stuff) Beware whent hey start using the terms "sensory" etc. Often it begins with a weighted vest or fanny pack. While many of our kids do like the weighted vest and it may have some therapuetic value it sometimes is used as a restraint mechanism in some schools. It is the way these things are used that matters most.

Subject: Re: Re: Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ? Restraint ? Let me know...To: EOHarm Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 1:46 PM

I am a NY state parent-2-parent support parent & know the educational laws quite well & how to get what I need. I don't know much about other laws though. We are now in our home district in a boces classroom. IN another boces clasroom there, there is a time out room. It was introduced to me as a Time Out Room when I went to check out the room. I told them they do not have my permission for my daughter to be in that classroom & they were never to use the time out room for her. The CSE told me it would help them with self-regulation. I said there are other ways to teach that. I have never seen it be used before for a child & there is a a window on the door & there is no lock. I am closterphobic & couldn't even get in to see what it would be like. The CSE is a type of person with low stress tolerance so I could see her putting her foot up against the door keeping the child from

escaping, even though she isn't really a teacher. Not sure if this room has ventilation & my daughter used to have seizures so I empathize with the parents who lost their little one on account of this abuse. Anyway, I suspect the use of the room will probably be picking up due to an influx of children with ASD's that are aging up to the rooms where this one time out room is. I was told the kids behavior is scary & they will be training aides in safety with & around these kids. Jenn L

Does your district have time out rooms ? Abuse ?Restraint ? Let me

know...> > > It is very troubling to receive the amount of email I have lately> regarding the Illegal use of restraint, abuse, Time Out Rooms, andeven> worse in the investigation into the ISD's in TX. If your school> district uses Time Out rooms at all, or uses restraint without> Behavioral Intervention Plansk, or if you know of or have heard ofabuse> of our children in your district please post a response or if itis too> personal please email me directly. This type of prehistoric activity> must come to an end. In drafting legislation to put before our> President Elect right after he comes into office I would reallylike to> have the most Input I can get regarding these types of things. The> promise made will be kept if it's the last thing I do on this earth I> will make sure of it !! I have faith in God that we shall be ledinto a>

new beginning that will bring about much change in our Educational> Climate. In order for this to happen we must overload the new> Administration with as much parental input as possible. I will be> blocking out names of children/parents but will not block out theschool> districts involved so please try to be as specific as possible. The> more responses I get to this the better... if you want to see the> promise we were given kept.. please speak up about the wrongs you know> of and specifically where those wrongs are. No responses will be used> for anything other then this unless you request help in yoursituation.> I personally could care less who loves or hates me (other thenGod), as> our children matter the most. Many times we as parents feelintimidated> and do not speak up when we know we can give information that may help> the next child in line. I

know it's hard to handle the situation you> may be in now.. but please consider the next parent that may nothave to> endure what you have had to.> Even if it is not with your child, please respond. Thank you all for> your input it is very much appreciated.> E. , Sr. U.S. Civil Rights Lobbyist The Office of> Advocacy for Autistic Children> > ============ =========> Posted through Grouply, the better way> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.> http://www.grouply. com/?code= post> > type_D>