authors

Author Guidelines Editorial Policies Submit and Track My Manuscript

journal information

About the Journal Editorial Board For News Media For Advertisers

services

Permissions Reprints

related resources

AAP Journals PedJobs.org

Published online December 29, 2008PEDIATRICS Vol. 123 No. 1 January 2009, pp. 189-190 (doi:10.1542/peds.2008-3306)

This Article

Extract

Full Text (PDF)

Submit a response

Alert me when this article is cited

Alert me when eLetters are posted

Alert me if a correction is posted

Services

E-mail this article to a friend

Similar articles in this journal

Alert me to new issues of the journal

Add to My File Cabinet

Download to citation manager

Citing Articles

Citing Articles via CrossRef

Related Collections

Office Practice

POLICY STATEMENT

Recommended Childhood and Adolescent Immunization Schedules—United States, 2009Committee on Infectious Diseases

The 2009 recommended childhood and adolescent immunization schedules have been approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Family Physicians. There are 3 schedules: 1 for children 0 through 6 years of age, 1 for people 7 through 18 years of age, and a catch-up immunization schedule for children and adolescents who start late or fall behind. These schedules reflect current recommendations for use of vaccines licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration and include the following changes from last year:

Influenza vaccine now is recommended for annual administration to children 6 months through 18 years of age. Influenza vaccine also is recommended for all eligible close contacts of children 0 through 4 years (ie, through 59 months) of age and contacts of children 5 through 18 years of age who have an underlying medical condition that predisposes them to influenza complications.

A second oral rotavirus vaccine has been licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration. The dosing schedules for the 2 licensed rotavirus vaccines have been harmonized. The first dose of either vaccine should be administered at 6 weeks through 14 weeks 6 days of age. Immunization should not be initiated for infants 15 weeks 0 days of age or older. The final dose should be administered by 8 months 0 days of age (www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/provisional/downloads/roto-7-1-08-508.pdf).

Most of the footnotes for the individual vaccines have been revised to provide additional information and to clarify recommendations provided in the schedules.

Clinically significant adverse events that follow immunization should be reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Guidance about how to obtain and complete a VAERS form can be obtained on the Internet at www.vaers.hhs.gov or by calling . Statements from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices with details of recommendations for individual vaccines, including recommendations for children with high-risk conditions, are available at www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/ACIP-list.htm. Additional information can be found in the Red Book (28th edition forthcoming in 2009) and at Red Book Online (www.aapredbook.org). Information on new vaccine releases, vaccine

supplies, interim recommendations resulting from vaccine shortages, and statements on specific vaccines can be found at www.aapredbook.org/news/vaccstatus.shtml and www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/ACIP-list.htm.

COMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS DISEASES, 2008–2009

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE ph A. Bocchini, Jr, MD, Chairperson

S. Bradley, MD

T. Brady, MD

Henry H. Bernstein, DO

L. Byington, MD

Penelope H. , MD

Margaret C. Fisher, MD

W. Frenck, Jr, MD

P. Glode, MD

Harry L. Keyserling, MD

W. Kimberlin, MD

Walter A. Orenstein, MD

Lorry G. Rubin, MD

LIAISONS

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE Beth P. Bell, MD

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Bortolussi, MD

Canadian Paediatric Society

D. Clover, MD

American Academy of Family Physicians

Marc A. Fischer, MD

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

L. Gorman, MD

National Institutes of Health

Lucia Lee, MD

Food and Drug Administration

S. Read, MD, MS, MPH, DTM & H

Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health

Schwartz, MD

National Vaccine Program Office

R. Starke, MD

American Thoracic Society

CONSULTANTS

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE Edgar O. Ledbetter, MD

H. Cody Meissner, MD

EX OFFICIO

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE Larry K. Pickering, MD

Red Book Editor

Carol J. Baker, MD

Red Book Associate Editor

S. Long, MD

Red Book Associate Editor

STAFF

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE Hope Hurley, Interim Manager

FOOTNOTES All policy statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics automatically expire 5 years after publication unless reaffirmed, revised, or retired at or before that time.

REFERENCE

TOPCOMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS...LIAISONSCONSULTANTSEX OFFICIOSTAFFREFERENCE

American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Infectious Diseases. Prevention of influenza: recommendations for influenza immunization of children, 2008–2009. Pediatrics. 2008;122 (5):1135 –1141[Abstract/Free Full Text]

PEDIATRICS (ISSN 1098-4275). ©2009 by the American Academy of Pediatrics

The following policy statement has been revised:

Recommended Immunization Schedules for Children and Adolescents United States, 2008 Pediatrics 121: 219-220. [Full Text]

This Article

Extract

Full Text (PDF)

Submit a response

Alert me when this article is cited

Alert me when eLetters are posted

Alert me if a correction is posted

Services

E-mail this article to a friend

Similar articles in this journal

Alert me to new issues of the journal

Add to My File Cabinet