RemedySpot.com

Re: top subjects for multiples w/ds- JODIE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Irene, my girls are 7 years old. Thanks, Jodieigercak wrote: Jodie, I can't believe I forgot about potty training! We are 9 now and that nightmare seems like so long ago. How old are your twins? Their age is helpful when giving suggestions. Boys, girls, mix? Once you answer the qs I am sure many will have helpful ideas. My son Zack was 5

when he got the potty thing we live in Florida and it was during the hurricanes a few years ago we were without power and all BOYS had to do their business outside and it clicked. We didn't have #2 issues since he has always been constipated it's a big deal when he goes, so we have time to see the clues (potty dance, frown, grabbing butt). Hang in there :) Irene top subjects for multiples w/ds Hi everyone, My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical services) and I have submitted an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe (disabilities weekend). Each year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I always wish there was one on the unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are alot of us out there so I wondered if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you would want addressed/discussed. Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness, seperation in school, medical issues and the such, but is there anything else,we should be sure not to overlook? Do you have any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should mention? the special bond, the

constant therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect control group for development... Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every family get hooked up with an internet group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out there to bounce ideas off and vent! Thanks, Irene As we get closer to the presentation I know I will have more questions, thanks for helping. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it

now.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Jodie,

Since I don't have identicals I am sure they mirror each other which can be good

and of course bad. I know with my son Zack we made his siblings part of the potty

training plan, the other boys would bring him along when ever they went potty, so

he was exposed to "correct" potty times all the times. Zack seemed very consious

of his bowels (again b/c he is so constipated) so maybe we got lucky that he had

to actively participate in the BMs that we could direct him to the potty well before an

accident. Do they seem to go at the same time of the day? I know it was ridiculous

how cued into the bms we got as a family. To this day (he's9) his brother Nick will

tell me Zack hasn't gone poop in 2 days, what a thing to be aware of. One night I was

at the movies and Nick called to ask me to come home and give Zack a suppository

b/c he was sitting on the potty for along time. Nick has always felt he was Zack's keeper.

Hang in there I hope someone w/ identicals has better advice than me. Irene

top subjects for multiples w/ds

Hi everyone,

My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical services) and I have submitted

an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe (disabilities weekend). Each

year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I always wish there was one on the

unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are alot of us out there so I wondered

if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you would want addressed/discussed.

Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness, seperation in school, medical issues

and the such, but is there anything else,we should be sure not to overlook? Do you have

any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should mention? the special bond, the constant

therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect control group for development...

Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every family get hooked up with an internet

group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out there to bounce ideas off and vent!

Thanks, Irene

As we get closer to the presentation I know I will have more questions, thanks for helping.

Hi Jodie,

First - I need to mention that our girls are on miralax. They were

completely impacted in November (only indication I had was a routine

xray recommended by a gastroentrologist when I took girls for a checkup

- thought they were pooping fine!) and both were in the hospital for 3

days last Nov. for fecal cleanouts. This was not fun. Since then, they

get 15 gms of miralax daily. I plan to slowly switch that to fruit-ease

in the summer - not sure if I will be successful or not - but would like

to see them develop the ability to use their own bowel muscles to push

rather than having something foreign pushing thru their system.

That being said, since then bms have been not a problem at all. (Before

then, we dealt with 2 1/2 yrs of bm explosions every day or so - from

their shoulder blades to their knees - two hour cleanups each occasion -

I am not kidding!) So you can be sure I am making sure they poop every

couple of days.

The way I can tell they will probably bm soon is when they've urinated

and I wipe their #2 area, they will have a " brown showing. " Sometimes

I'll see a little something in the toilet. This tells me they need to

do #2. I encourage them to go and they are usually adament that they

are " all done. " I ask them if they are " all done " or can they do

" more " , they almost always say, " all done. " So I change my voice tone

so they understand I expect dry pants - I say, " ok, dry pants! " and they

confirm they promise dry pants.

So the next time or two, they will most likely bm. (And when they do,

it will usually be so much it takes two flushes to make it disappear.)

They all go upstairs at 6 pm for baths every night. Whoever had a brown

show needs to sit on the potty until they go. I work the other two in

for toilet turns usually before the " brown show " kid. I ask the one

that needs to bm if they want dry pants in bed? Do they want a clean

fluffy warm bed? They always say yes. Then ok, put your poo-poo in the

potty. When they start pooping, I praise and say good pushing the

poo-poo in. So other times, when I need to tell them to try to poop and

say the word push, they can associate it with what I'm asking. Before

this, they would push on their bellies with their hands when I asked

them to push... :-)

Typical kids learn this almost on a subconscious level. My girls, at

least, need to learn everything alot slower on a conscious level.

Having a very ritualistic daily routine also helps them feel comfortable

with developing toileting skills - both #1 and #2.

Just my two cents... Sorry - this was typed fast w/out proofing cuz

this is a very busy month! (month of ESY decisions/registrations,

progress report review, IEPs, etc.)

Hope it helps! I'm always around if you have any questions/comments -

just may take a bit to respond.

Sincerely,

Mom to Haley & Nikki, 5 yr identical twin girls, both w/DS, and , 3

1/2 yr son

igercak wrote:

>

> Jodie,

> Since I don't have identicals I am sure they mirror each other which

> can be good

> and of course bad. I know with my son Zack we made his siblings part

> of the potty

> training plan, the other boys would bring him along when ever they

> went potty, so

> he was exposed to " correct " potty times all the times. Zack seemed

> very consious

> of his bowels (again b/c he is so constipated) so maybe we got lucky

> that he had

> to actively participate in the BMs that we could direct him to the

> potty well before an

> accident. Do they seem to go at the same time of the day? I know it

> was ridiculous

> how cued into the bms we got as a family. To this day (he's9) his

> brother Nick will

> tell me Zack hasn't gone poop in 2 days, what a thing to be aware of.

> One night I was

> at the movies and Nick called to ask me to come home and give Zack a

> suppository

> b/c he was sitting on the potty for along time. Nick has always felt

> he was Zack's keeper.

> Hang in there I hope someone w/ identicals has better advice than me.

> Irene

>

>

> * top subjects for multiples w/ds

>

> Hi everyone,

> My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical

> services) and I have submitted

> an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe

> (disabilities weekend). Each

> year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I

> always wish there was one on the

> unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are

> alot of us out there so I wondered

> if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you

> would want addressed/discussed.

> Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness,

> seperation in school, medical issues

> and the such, but is there anything else,we should be

> sure not to overlook? Do you have

> any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should

> mention? the special bond, the constant

> therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect

> control group for development...

> Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every

> family get hooked up with an internet

> group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out

> there to bounce ideas off and vent!

> Thanks, Irene

>

> As we get closer to the presentation I know I will

> have more questions, thanks for helping.

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

> Mobile. Try it now.

>

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtD\

ypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

> Try it now.

>

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtD\

ypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

>

>

>

Davey has been on milk of magnesia daily since he started on solid foods. The constipation was just too bad not too. We also make sure his diet is high in fiber.

I think Davey learned a lot about potty training from all of us in the family. Also lots of praise and I remember this silly song we all sang! I do have to say that the preschool helped with the finishing touches of it.

mom to Amy, Kelsey, Davey and Will

Hi Jodie,First - I need to mention that our girls are on miralax. They were completely impacted in November (only indication I had was a routine xray recommended by a gastroentrologist when I took girls for a checkup

- thought they were pooping fine!) and both were in the hospital for 3 days last Nov. for fecal cleanouts. This was not fun. Since then, they get 15 gms of miralax daily. I plan to slowly switch that to fruit-ease

in the summer - not sure if I will be successful or not - but would like to see them develop the ability to use their own bowel muscles to push rather than having something foreign pushing thru their system.

That being said, since then bms have been not a problem at all. (Before then, we dealt with 2 1/2 yrs of bm explosions every day or so - from their shoulder blades to their knees - two hour cleanups each occasion -

I am not kidding!) So you can be sure I am making sure they poop every couple of days. The way I can tell they will probably bm soon is when they've urinated and I wipe their #2 area, they will have a " brown showing. " Sometimes

I'll see a little something in the toilet. This tells me they need to do #2. I encourage them to go and they are usually adament that they are " all done. " I ask them if they are " all done " or can they do

" more " , they almost always say, " all done. " So I change my voice tone so they understand I expect dry pants - I say, " ok, dry pants! " and they confirm they promise dry pants.

So the next time or two, they will most likely bm. (And when they do, it will usually be so much it takes two flushes to make it disappear.) They all go upstairs at 6 pm for baths every night. Whoever had a brown

show needs to sit on the potty until they go. I work the other two in for toilet turns usually before the " brown show " kid. I ask the one that needs to bm if they want dry pants in bed? Do they want a clean

fluffy warm bed? They always say yes. Then ok, put your poo-poo in the potty. When they start pooping, I praise and say good pushing the poo-poo in. So other times, when I need to tell them to try to poop and

say the word push, they can associate it with what I'm asking. Before this, they would push on their bellies with their hands when I asked them to push... :-)Typical kids learn this almost on a subconscious level. My girls, at

least, need to learn everything alot slower on a conscious level. Having a very ritualistic daily routine also helps them feel comfortable with developing toileting skills - both #1 and #2. Just my two cents... Sorry - this was typed fast w/out proofing cuz

this is a very busy month! (month of ESY decisions/registrations, progress report review, IEPs, etc.)Hope it helps! I'm always around if you have any questions/comments - just may take a bit to respond.

Sincerely,Mom to Haley & Nikki, 5 yr identical twin girls, both w/DS, and , 3 1/2 yr son

igercak wrote:>> Jodie,> Since I don't have identicals I am sure they mirror each other which > can be good> and of course bad. I know with my son Zack we made his siblings part

> of the potty> training plan, the other boys would bring him along when ever they > went potty, so> he was exposed to " correct " potty times all the times. Zack seemed > very consious

> of his bowels (again b/c he is so constipated) so maybe we got lucky > that he had> to actively participate in the BMs that we could direct him to the > potty well before an> accident. Do they seem to go at the same time of the day? I know it

> was ridiculous> how cued into the bms we got as a family. To this day (he's9) his > brother Nick will> tell me Zack hasn't gone poop in 2 days, what a thing to be aware of. > One night I was

> at the movies and Nick called to ask me to come home and give Zack a > suppository> b/c he was sitting on the potty for along time. Nick has always felt > he was Zack's keeper.> Hang in there I hope someone w/ identicals has better advice than me.

> Irene> >> * top subjects for multiples w/ds

>> Hi everyone,> My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical> services) and I have submitted> an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe> (disabilities weekend). Each

> year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I> always wish there was one on the> unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are> alot of us out there so I wondered> if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you

> would want addressed/discussed.> Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness,> seperation in school, medical issues> and the such, but is there anything else,we should be> sure not to overlook? Do you have

> any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should> mention? the special bond, the constant> therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect> control group for development...> Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every

> family get hooked up with an internet> group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out> there to bounce ideas off and vent!> Thanks, Irene> > As we get closer to the presentation I know I will

> have more questions, thanks for helping.>>> ----------------------------------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!> Mobile. Try it now.

> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------- > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.> Try it now.> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

>>>

Irene, My girls just turned 3 and Kayley, my typical child has been such a blessing for Adrienne. We have Adrienne in a 3 week long intensive therapy program to strengthen her core and upper body. For the 1st week, she went back to therapy by herself, because the center doesn't allow siblings in the therapy areas for obvious liability reasons. Last week (week 2) we took Kayley back to see her sister. Adrienne's PT got the idea to have Kayley do the activities they were trying to get Adrienne to do. It worked like a charm. Now it has not only been more productive for Adrienne, but fun for Kayley, too. It just illustrates so clearly what a huge help it is to have Kayley as a model for Adrienne, someone she loves and has a special bond with. I do keep in mind that I wouldn't want to "use" Kayley. If she wasn't enjoying the activities, I wouldn't make her do it. Good luck with your project. Jodie -- do your girls have a BM at pretty much the same time everyday? I have found that really helps with Adrienne. She has had very few accidents over the past year, mostly because I know her, but she has started to come and tell me when she has to go. Getting her on a regular schedule was the key for us, I think. Cyndy Madeline 10, Kayely & Adrienne DS (3) igercak wrote: Jodie, I can't believe I forgot about potty training! We are 9 now and that nightmare seems like so long ago. How old are your twins? Their age is helpful when giving suggestions. Boys, girls, mix? Once you answer the qs I am sure many will have helpful ideas. My son Zack was 5 when he got the potty thing we live in Florida and it was during the hurricanes a few years ago we were without power and all BOYS had to do their business outside and it clicked. We didn't have #2 issues since he has always been constipated it's a big deal when he goes, so we have time to see the clues (potty

dance, frown, grabbing butt). Hang in there :) Irene top subjects for multiples w/ds Hi everyone, My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical services) and I have submitted an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe (disabilities weekend). Each year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I always wish there was one on the unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are alot of us out there so I wondered if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you would want addressed/discussed. Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness, seperation in school, medical issues and the such, but is there anything else,we should be sure not to overlook? Do you have any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should mention? the special bond, the constant therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect control group for development... Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every family get hooked up with an internet group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out there to bounce ideas off and

vent! Thanks, Irene As we get closer to the presentation I know I will have more questions, thanks for helping. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Cyndy, yes my girls usually have bm's in the afternoon. We are taking them to the potty every two to three hours.. . But after we take them they still go in their panties. . . They still aren't coming to us and telling us they have to go!! Once in awhile, they will but not consistently...JodieCyndy Bayer wrote: Irene, My girls just turned 3 and Kayley, my typical child has been such a blessing for Adrienne. We have Adrienne in a 3 week long intensive therapy program to

strengthen her core and upper body. For the 1st week, she went back to therapy by herself, because the center doesn't allow siblings in the therapy areas for obvious liability reasons. Last week (week 2) we took Kayley back to see her sister. Adrienne's PT got the idea to have Kayley do the activities they were trying to get Adrienne to do. It worked like a charm. Now it has not only been more productive for Adrienne, but fun for Kayley, too. It just illustrates so clearly what a huge help it is to have Kayley as a model for Adrienne, someone she loves and has a special bond with. I do keep in mind that I wouldn't want to "use" Kayley. If she wasn't enjoying the activities, I wouldn't make her do it. Good luck with your project. Jodie -- do your girls have a BM at pretty much the same time everyday? I have found that really helps with

Adrienne. She has had very few accidents over the past year, mostly because I know her, but she has started to come and tell me when she has to go. Getting her on a regular schedule was the key for us, I think. Cyndy Madeline 10, Kayely & Adrienne DS (3) igercak <igercakcfl (DOT) rr.com> wrote: Jodie, I can't believe I forgot about potty training! We are 9 now and that nightmare seems like so long ago. How old are your twins? Their age is helpful when giving suggestions. Boys, girls, mix? Once you answer the qs I am sure many will have helpful ideas. My son Zack was 5 when he

got the potty thing we live in Florida and it was during the hurricanes a few years ago we were without power and all BOYS had to do their business outside and it clicked. We didn't have #2 issues since he has always been constipated it's a big deal when he goes, so we have time to see the clues (potty dance, frown, grabbing butt). Hang in there :) Irene top subjects for multiples w/ds Hi everyone, My friend a social worker for CMS (children's medical services) and I have submitted an outline to be presenters at our annual Family Cafe (disabilities weekend). Each year we attend and the presentations are amazing, I always wish there was one on the unique world of MULTIPLES w/ disabilities. There are alot of us out there so I wondered if you all have very specific MULTIPLE issues that you would want addressed/discussed. Of course we will discuss the obvious: time, fairness, seperation in school, medical issues and the such, but is there anything else,we should be sure not to overlook? Do you have any favorite resource,book,movie etc we should mention? the special bond, the

constant therapy that same age sibling(s) provide, the perfect control group for development... Any input would be valuable. I will stress that every family get hooked up with an internet group, I couldn't imagine not having all of you out there to bounce ideas off and vent! Thanks, Irene As we get closer to the presentation I know I will have more questions, thanks for helping. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it

now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.