Hi ,

I have 4 year old twins, Aidan (DS) and Maia. The great thing with

them is that they are best friends and love playing together. Not

only does Aidan learn from Maia, but Maia (and all of us) learns

from Aidan - not language or motor skills, but about love and what

is really important in life. The challenge is that they have

different developmental needs and Maia sometimes makes it a little

more difficult for me to spend any extra one-on-one time with Aidan

because, like any twin, she wants attention too.

One day Maia was watching an " Elmo " video and there was a child with

Down Syndrome in an episode. She asked me if this girl had " heart

surgery " . At first, I wasn't sure what she was talking about, then I

realized Aidan had VSD surgery at age 1 and Maia associates this

with DS. Understanding, or at least verbalizing, exactly what Down

Syndrome is at a young age is probably pretty difficult (many adults

have a problem). Fixing a hole in the heart is a less abstract

concept. When Maia tells other people Aidan had heart surgery, she

says it a pride that kind of says " look what my brother has

overcome " . I hope she'll feel the same way when she is older and

fuller understanding of DS.

Best of luck to you with new twins.

-Mark

>

> Hello, everyone!

>

> My name is Velander and my husband is Mike. We are 31

years old and live in Cold Spring, Minnesota. We have 2 boys,

Austin (age 12) and Gavin (Age 3), We recently completed our family

by adding two beautiful daughters: Maggie and Molly. They were born

September 25th, 2006 at 37 weeks. Molly was diagnosed at birth with

Down Syndrome. I am a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse so I was not

too afraid or upset of her diagnosis. I thought of it as a very

special gift from God. My husband was a little upset and freaked at

the begining but as he has learned what DS is, he is much better and

is actually taking it in stride!! What I am most sad about is the

fact that she is a twin so I am so grateful that I have found this

website (thanks to a wonderful person on the Twins Magazine forums--

I am sorry, I do not remember your name but you know who You are!!)

>

> Anyway, I work at the St Cloud Hospital straight nights 2

nights/week. My husband is a manager at a distribution center here

in town. He works DAYS but rotates weekends so we really only

need/use daycare one day/week. Our daycare provider came to see the

girls at the hospital and let us know that with Molly having DS, it

was " no big deal " . Wow--I feel so blessed and lucky to have her.

Not to mention the warm welcome from both sides of the family.

Certain friends don't know how to act or what to say so that has

been hurtful but I realize that it is their ignorance that prevents

them from congratulating us.

>

> Being a NICU nurse, I know of the things that can (and DO) go

wrong with the neonatal period and felt great relief when Molly's

Cardiac Echo just showed a large PDA and no congenital defects. (BTW-

the PDA was closed at 14 days of age) We have defeated a battle that

many of you had to face on top of finding out about the DS. Molly,

at this point, is in great health. She eats well (almost too

well!!), she has good muscle tone, and has a working

gastrointestinal tract. I am amazed and very excited that she is

doing so well.

>

> I need to go but wanted to introduce myself and my family to

you. I am truly looking forward to talking to you and learning

whatever it is that I can about the challanges of having one twin

with DS and one without!

>

> Love,

> Velander

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful

email and get things done faster.

>

Hello and welcome!

I'm Gayla and I have two teenage girls with DS. Mercede is 16 and Ce Ce is 14. I have a friend whose daughters name is Molly and she has DS.

Hello, everyone!

My name is Velander and my husband is Mike. We are 31 years old and live in Cold Spring, Minnesota. We have 2 boys, Austin (age 12) and Gavin (Age 3), We recently completed our family by adding two beautiful daughters: Maggie and Molly. They were born September 25th, 2006 at 37 weeks. Molly was diagnosed at birth with Down Syndrome. I am a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse so I was not too afraid or upset of her diagnosis. I thought of it as a very special gift from God. My husband was a little upset and freaked at the begining but as he has learned what DS is, he is much better and is actually taking it in stride!! What I am most sad about is the fact that she is a twin so I am so grateful that I have found this website (thanks to a wonderful person on the Twins Magazine forums--I am sorry, I do not remember your name but you know who You are!!)

Anyway, I work at the St Cloud Hospital straight nights 2 nights/week. My husband is a manager at a distribution center here in town. He works DAYS but rotates weekends so we really only need/use daycare one day/week. Our daycare provider came to see the girls at the hospital and let us know that with Molly having DS, it was " no big deal " . Wow--I feel so blessed and lucky to have her. Not to mention the warm welcome from both sides of the family. Certain friends don't know how to act or what to say so that has been hurtful but I realize that it is their ignorance that prevents them from congratulating us.

Being a NICU nurse, I know of the things that can (and DO) go wrong with the neonatal period and felt great relief when Molly's Cardiac Echo just showed a large PDA and no congenital defects. (BTW-the PDA was closed at 14 days of age) We have defeated a battle that many of you had to face on top of finding out about the DS. Molly, at this point, is in great health. She eats well (almost too well!!), she has good muscle tone, and has a working gastrointestinal tract. I am amazed and very excited that she is doing so well.

I need to go but wanted to introduce myself and my family to you. I am truly looking forward to talking to you and learning whatever it is that I can about the challanges of having one twin with DS and one without!

Love,

Velander

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

GAYLA!!!

WHAT HAPPEN!!!

Mercede is 16 and Ce Ce is 14

OMG.... WHERE HAVE I BEEN???? Sleeping my life away!!!! 16!!! When did I miss sweet 16.... :((:((

Re: Introduction

Hello and welcome!

I'm Gayla and I have two teenage girls with DS. Mercede is 16 and Ce Ce is 14. I have a friend whose daughters name is Molly and she has DS.

On 11/24/06, <tracyvelander> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

My name is Velander and my husband is Mike. We are 31 years old and live in Cold Spring, Minnesota. We have 2 boys, Austin (age 12) and Gavin (Age 3), We recently completed our family by adding two beautiful daughters: Maggie and Molly. They were born September 25th, 2006 at 37 weeks. Molly was diagnosed at birth with Down Syndrome. I am a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse so I was not too afraid or upset of her diagnosis. I thought of it as a very special gift from God. My husband was a little upset and freaked at the begining but as he has learned what DS is, he is much better and is actually taking it in stride!! What I am most sad about is the fact that she is a twin so I am so grateful that I have found this website (thanks to a wonderful person on the Twins Magazine forums--I am sorry, I do not remember your name but you know who You are!!)

Anyway, I work at the St Cloud Hospital straight nights 2 nights/week. My husband is a manager at a distribution center here in town. He works DAYS but rotates weekends so we really only need/use daycare one day/week. Our daycare provider came to see the girls at the hospital and let us know that with Molly having DS, it was "no big deal". Wow--I feel so blessed and lucky to have her. Not to mention the warm welcome from both sides of the family. Certain friends don't know how to act or what to say so that has been hurtful but I realize that it is their ignorance that prevents them from congratulating us.

Being a NICU nurse, I know of the things that can (and DO) go wrong with the neonatal period and felt great relief when Molly's Cardiac Echo just showed a large PDA and no congenital defects. (BTW-the PDA was closed at 14 days of age) We have defeated a battle that many of you had to face on top of finding out about the DS. Molly, at this point, is in great health. She eats well (almost too well!!), she has good muscle tone, and has a working gastrointestinal tract. I am amazed and very excited that she is doing so well.

I need to go but wanted to introduce myself and my family to you. I am truly looking forward to talking to you and learning whatever it is that I can about the challanges of having one twin with DS and one without!

Love,

Velander

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Miriam,

Thank you for writing to our very supportive website. I am a Mom of twins, a boy and a girl and the girl has Down Syndrome. They are now 12. I do know we have Mom's in our group who have had more than one child with Down Syndrome. Since I have not gone through what you are going through right now, I don't know how much help I can be, other than saying life with our Sara is not always "easy", but I have never quite known the kind of love I have for her. I know that a large percent of children whose parents know that they are carrying a child with Down Syndrome are terminated, which made me feel sad when I read those stats, so I have vowed that one of my mission's is to be a positive example of what life can be with a child with a disability and maybe that will help a little. I do not judge someone who makes the decision not to continue their pregnancy, as I am not in their shoes. I do know adoption has been discussed in this group from time to time, as well. You will be in my thoughts!

Marcia

Mom to Sara (DS) and 12 and Lucas 16See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Hi Miriam

I dont post often but I had to respond to your last message. I am the mom to 2 downs kids and yep they are both mine. my 6 yr old was diagnosed via an amnio, and who is 3 was diagnosed at birth. With my pregnancy with we did go to the perinatologist on a number of occasions and did ultrasound where they did find markers of downs. We opted no to have an amnio and were prepared for the fact that she did have DS. We figured we wernt going to terminate so what was the point of risking the pregnancy. I have to tell you it was easier the second time as we knew what we were in for etc. Sure its a battle especially in getting services and battleing the school district, but I would not even want to think what our lives would be like if the girls were not a part of it. Anyways whatever you decide to do that is your right and I personally would respect that. Please take care.

Virginia

Introduction

Hi,

I am a 40 year old mom of a beautiful 3 year old boy with Down Syndrome. I am also pregnant with what I have been just told is a 1:7 chance of an other baby with Down syndrome. My son is not Mosaic. I looked all over the Internet for places to find answers to my question and your group is the closest to what I could find. I have been unable to log in with my password so hopefully this will make it to the group. I am wondering if there are any parents in my situation that went on to have another child with DS after having the first? I am struggling with my thoughts on what we will do. The reason for my struggles are that I am one of the biggest advocate for babies/children with DS, I am a parent mentor to new parents and have been interviewed for various local publications because of my strong belief in our kids and because I had a prenatal diagnosis and chose to keep my baby. Now I am feeling like I need to terminate, something I never would imagine. I am not having any more children after this due to my age and obviously the experience we are going through. the struggles and depression are almost unbearable the last 4 days that we have known. Tomorrow, Monday, we are having a CVS (something else I am against because I believe our children are so perfect). I feel like such a hypocrite for my thoughts and have tried to understand them, which i can't. I hope you all won't judge me for my thoughts, as they are only thoughts right now and I hope I can get some advise over the next few days before we get our results back.

Thank you.

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.4.0/762 - Release Date: 4/15/2007 4:22 PM

Guest guest

Hi Virginia, Thank you for responding so fast. Are your girls the only two kids you have? Do you plan on having more? I am feeling better towards keeping the baby but what is still hard to take in is that we wouldn't have any typical kids and also what will happen to them both when we are gone. We would never leave them to our siblings and soon our mom's will be too old to care for them. I think if I had other kids too it would be easier to take in. Thank you again!"Virginia H." wrote: Hi Miriam I dont post often but I had to respond to your last message. I am the mom to 2 downs kids and yep they are both mine. my 6 yr old was diagnosed via an amnio, and who is 3 was diagnosed at birth. With my pregnancy with we did go to the perinatologist on a number of occasions and did ultrasound where they did find markers of downs. We opted no to have an amnio and were prepared for the fact that she did have DS. We figured we wernt going to terminate so what was the point of risking the pregnancy. I have to tell you it was easier the second time as we knew what we were in for etc. Sure its a battle especially in getting services and battleing the school district, but I would not even want to think what our lives would

be like if the girls were not a part of it. Anyways whatever you decide to do that is your right and I personally would respect that. Please take care. Virginia Introduction Hi, I am a 40 year old mom of a

beautiful 3 year old boy with Down Syndrome. I am also pregnant with what I have been just told is a 1:7 chance of an other baby with Down syndrome. My son is not Mosaic. I looked all over the Internet for places to find answers to my question and your group is the closest to what I could find. I have been unable to log in with my password so hopefully this will make it to the group. I am wondering if there are any parents in my situation that went on to have another child with DS after having the first? I am struggling with my thoughts on what we will do. The reason for my struggles are that I am one of the biggest advocate for babies/children with DS, I am a parent mentor to new parents and have been interviewed for various local publications because of my strong belief in our kids and because I had a prenatal diagnosis and chose to keep my baby. Now I am feeling like I need to terminate, something I never would imagine. I am not having any more children after

this due to my age and obviously the experience we are going through. the struggles and depression are almost unbearable the last 4 days that we have known. Tomorrow, Monday, we are having a CVS (something else I am against because I believe our children are so perfect). I feel like such a hypocrite for my thoughts and have tried to understand them, which i can't. I hope you all won't judge me for my thoughts, as they are only thoughts right now and I hope I can get some advise over the next few days before we get our results back. Thank you. Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free

Edition.Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.4.0/762 - Release Date: 4/15/2007 4:22 PM

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

Miriam,

You have come to the right place. I know there are several families on the list that have gone through what you are going through. Feel comfortable to ask any questions. These are kind, understanding, wonderful people here.

mom to Amy 19, Kelsey 17, Davey (DS) 7 and Will 7

Hi,

I am a 40 year old mom of a beautiful 3 year old boy with Down Syndrome. I am also pregnant with what I have been just told is a 1:7 chance of an other baby with Down syndrome. My son is not Mosaic. I looked all over the Internet for places to find answers to my question and your group is the closest to what I could find. I have been unable to log in with my password so hopefully this will make it to the group. I am wondering if there are any parents in my situation that went on to have another child with DS after having the first? I am struggling with my thoughts on what we will do. The reason for my struggles are that I am one of the biggest advocate for babies/children with DS, I am a parent mentor to new parents and have been interviewed for various local publications because of my strong belief in our kids and because I had a prenatal diagnosis and chose to keep my baby. Now I am feeling like I need to terminate, something I never would imagine. I am not having any more children after this due to my age and obviously the experience we are going through. the struggles and depression are almost unbearable the last 4 days that we have known. Tomorrow, Monday, we are having a CVS (something else I am against because I believe our children are so perfect). I feel like such a hypocrite for my thoughts and have tried to understand them, which i can't. I hope you all won't judge me for my thoughts, as they are only thoughts right now and I hope I can get some advise over the next few days before we get our results back.

Thank you.

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?Check out

new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

Yikes....I admire your honesty...truly I don't know how I would feel in your situation.

I'm ...I four kids. Sara and Maggie are our twins, they are 8 years old now. Maggie does very well and we have had no health issues over the years.

Ummmmm....I would slow down. Of course you are at a higher risk I suppose...that is what they say. I do believe Down syndrome is totally random. Go through the tests...and then make decisions. Don't jump ahead, although it is so easy to do.

We didn't know Maggie had Ds until she was almost 3 months old. I think we were lucky. I bet the tendency is to start thinking about having a Down syndrome instead of a baby. By the time we knew about Mags...nothing could have changed or influenced how I felt about her.

Slow down....whatever you need to do...your heart will tell you in time. Listen....

Introduction

Hi,

Thank you.

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

Hi Miriam,

You wrote to an excellent group, many people at this

group are very kind and supportive.

Although I don't read emails as often as I should, I

read your email by chance today. I am in the similar

boat as you, I have a beautiful 2year old daughter

with DS and now I am on the 37week pregnancy for my

2nd one(a boy), the amnio report indicated DS back in

December, I was very sad when I knew that, words

couldn't describe my deep sorrow and pain. Many people

help me through their caring, prayers, here is an

email to share with you(from my husband wrote to

me a few months ago):

" Dearest ,

I knew you're wavering after getting emails from

friends.. As husband I knew deeply your sorrow, agony,

suffering in facing the trial.

For me, there is only one decision to make - keeping

OUR baby boy and looking & waiting on the MERCY, GRACE

and HEALING of God. If we know there is only one God

and Savior in this universe, we shall not fear any

more; we still have hope. We need to seek first His

will instead of listening first to friend's

opinions....

If you feel not able to take the burden (even later

suffering, financial problem, etc) when we have the

second child with defect, I pray that the Lord mold me

to be a loving husband and great father

100 times better and stronger

than whom I'm now

Much love,

"

My husband and I are looking forward to our 2nd baby

to arrive anytime from now and will share with you

more if you need. Feel free to contact me via

email/phone.

Warmest regards,

Chen

--- Miriam Kang wrote:

> Hi,

> I am a 40 year old mom of a beautiful 3 year old

> boy with Down Syndrome. I am also pregnant with what

> I have been just told is a 1:7 chance of an other

> baby with Down syndrome. My son is not Mosaic. I

> looked all over the Internet for places to find

> answers to my question and your group is the closest

> to what I could find. I have been unable to log in

> with my password so hopefully this will make it to

> the group. I am wondering if there are any parents

> in my situation that went on to have another child

> with DS after having the first? I am struggling with

> my thoughts on what we will do. The reason for my

> struggles are that I am one of the biggest advocate

> for babies/children with DS, I am a parent mentor to

> new parents and have been interviewed for various

> local publications because of my strong belief in

> our kids and because I had a prenatal diagnosis and

> chose to keep my baby. Now I am feeling like I need

> to terminate, something I never would imagine. I am

> not having any

> more children after this due to my age and

> obviously the experience we are going through. the

> struggles and depression are almost unbearable the

> last 4 days that we have known. Tomorrow, Monday,

> we are having a CVS (something else I am against

> because I believe our children are so perfect). I

> feel like such a hypocrite for my thoughts and have

> tried to understand them, which i can't. I hope you

> all won't judge me for my thoughts, as they are only

> thoughts right now and I hope I can get some advise

> over the next few days before we get our results

> back.

> Thank you.

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?

> Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

I too admire your honesty... I am sure that the thought of having

more than one child with DS is overwhelming BUT as the parent of

identical twins with DS I assure you..... just as you already know...

They are such a GIFT FROM GOD!! Our boys are 3.5 and are definately

challenging at times... but I wouldn't trade that for anything. We

have had other struggles... Hagen was diagnosed with Leukemia but is

now cancer free... Brogan has become the leader and the " big bubba "

but still relies on Hagen for so much. Their bond is unbelievable.

Please visit our Carepage...www.carepages.com His page is simply

Hagen You have soooo much to offer your children...and you are a

wonderful mom!! Hang in there!!

Kellie Hill

Hagen and Brogan (identical twins DS age 3)

>

> Yikes....I admire your honesty...truly I don't know how I would

feel in your situation.

>

> I'm ...I four kids. Sara and Maggie are our twins, they are 8

years old now. Maggie does very well and we have had no health

issues over the years.

>

> Ummmmm....I would slow down. Of course you are at a higher risk I

suppose...that is what they say. I do believe Down syndrome is

totally random. Go through the tests...and then make decisions.

Don't jump ahead, although it is so easy to do.

>

> We didn't know Maggie had Ds until she was almost 3 months old. I

think we were lucky. I bet the tendency is to start thinking about

having a Down syndrome instead of a baby. By the time we knew about

Mags...nothing could have changed or influenced how I felt about

her.

>

> Slow down....whatever you need to do...your heart will tell you in

time. Listen....

>

>

> Introduction

>

>

>

> Hi,

> I am a 40 year old mom of a beautiful 3 year old boy with Down

Syndrome. I am also pregnant with what I have been just told is a 1:7

chance of an other baby with Down syndrome. My son is not Mosaic. I

looked all over the Internet for places to find answers to my

question and your group is the closest to what I could find. I have

been unable to log in with my password so hopefully this will make it

to the group. I am wondering if there are any parents in my situation

that went on to have another child with DS after having the first? I

am struggling with my thoughts on what we will do. The reason for my

struggles are that I am one of the biggest advocate for

babies/children with DS, I am a parent mentor to new parents and have

been interviewed for various local publications because of my strong

belief in our kids and because I had a prenatal diagnosis and chose

to keep my baby. Now I am feeling like I need to terminate, something

I never would imagine. I am not having any more children after this

due to my age and obviously the experience we are going through. the

struggles and depression are almost unbearable the last 4 days that

we have known. Tomorrow, Monday, we are having a CVS (something else

I am against because I believe our children are so perfect). I feel

like such a hypocrite for my thoughts and have tried to understand

them, which i can't. I hope you all won't judge me for my thoughts,

as they are only thoughts right now and I hope I can get some advise

over the next few days before we get our results back.

> Thank you.

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

> Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?

> Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

>

• 11 months later...
Guest guest

Welcome ,

Congratulations on the birth of your twins. We love seeing pictures. You have

come to the right place.

We live in Reno NV. My twin boys turned 8 years old in February. Davey has DS.

Although my boys were born at 37 weeks, I know there are families on the list

who had preemies. This is a wonderful supportive group of people.

Mom to Amy (20), Kelsey (18), Davey, and Will

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

introduction

Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4 months old. We

live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's DS when he was 1 month

old; the twins were born prematurely at week 32 and Austins DS was not evident

until later. I am a new mother, but have much expirience with handicapped

childern because my younger brother has cerebral paulsy.  This is definitely

different, for I am already overwhelmed by the many doctors appointements and

exams that Austin hast to endure. I thank the informtaion you can give me so I

can raise both the twins with all the love and support that both a healthy child

and one with DS needs.

----------------

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/categ\

ory.php?category=shopping>

Guest guest

Hi and welcome! My twins were born at 28 weeks. I have a boy and a girl and my daughter has DS. She was diagnosed 2 weeks after she was born. I know it all seems so overwhelming. First, you have preemies, then you have to deal with the diagnosis of your child. My twins turned 1 in December. They are so much fun and I feel so blessed to be their mother! This is a wonderful website with a wealth of knowledge.

~ mom to Caden & (DS) 15 months

introduction

Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4 months old. We live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's DS when he was 1 month old; the twins were born prematurely at week 32 and Austins DS was not evident until later. I am a new mother, but have much expirience with handicapped childern because my younger brother has cerebral paulsy. This is definitely different, for I am already overwhelmed by the many doctors appointements and exams that Austin hast to endure. I thank the informtaion you can give me so I can raise both the twins with all the love and support that both a healthy child and one with DS needs.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.

Guest guest

Bienvenida , You found a great group of people who has a lot to share. My name is Mabel Comas, mom to Carolina, Cristian and a-ds, they just turned 9 years old. Have a nice day. Mabel ComasTo: Multiples-DS From: mcronder@...Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:52:23 -0700Subject: introduction

Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4 months old. We live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's DS when he was 1 month old; the twins were born prematurely at week 32 and Austins DS was not evident until later. I am a new mother, but have much expirience with handicapped childern because my younger brother has cerebral paulsy. This is definitely different, for I am already overwhelmed by the many doctors appointements and exams that Austin hast to endure. I thank the informtaion you can give me so I can raise both the twins with all the love and support that both a healthy child and one with DS needs.

Test your Star IQ Play now!

Guest guest

Hello ,

Congrats on your twins, all the feeling you have about DS will be answered, the overwhelming

feeling of how will I do it? where will I get the information to do it correctly will come, the appointmnets

are overwhelming by themselves so be sure to pace yourself. Being a mom to typical twins is

exhausting in the beginning so you will feel tired. Austin's future is not going to be decided at

this age so enjoy him while he's young, i think I missed alot when my triplets were born and we

found out Zack had DS I was so depressed and angry that I was on auto pilot with the babies and now

I can't get those days back. Zack will turn 10 soon and he is the greatest thing that ever happened

to me when he says, "Good night mom I love you." I want to die, I often wonder why I was so freaked

out in the beginning. We are all here for you and wish to answer your questions :)

Irene in Florida

Jake 11

Zachary DS, , & 9

introduction

Guest guest

Welcome !

This group has a wealth of info and experience, it has been great for me! Keep in mind that the Doctors appointment should space out as he gets older, there still are quite a few so make sure to keep track of your mileage, it is deductible and boy does it add up quick!

a

mom to Meg14,Jack11,Lucy6,(ds) & 2

introduction

Guest guest

Dear ,

This is definitely the right place to ask about DS and twins (or more).

First thing to remember: you have twins. Having one twin with DS makes it more interesting, but raising twins is the bigger challenge. Talk to other families with twins or triplets.

Next: Keep your sense of humor. Some of the things that happen to your family will happen to no other (except those like ours on this Website). It's a wild and woolly ride--that's a reference to trying to ride a buffalo--but you will not be thrown off. You can share your laughs and fears with us. Especially the laughs. We like the laughs.

And: Find a physician you can trust to oversee your children's care. He or she will have the last say on any proposed procedure, diet regimen or medical device. Whatever anyone wants to do must be cleared by that doctor. This is very important (Muy, muy importante). Twins with Down syndrome, fraternal or identical, can be a magnet for people with medical degrees and too much curiosity or unwavering beliefs about child development.  After our twins arrived, our pediatrician told us to refer all medical questions to her, and she made an intensive study study of Down syndrome. We told everyone who wanted us to help them to try something new or to check out a theory about DS that "Dr. Gogo" (as our sons called her, her name was Manigault) had to say it was okay. It is worth the time to find just the right Dr. Gogo.

Then: Introduce and Austin to the world. They are new babies! ¡Fabuloso! Think of all they are going to learn in the next five years! They have just as much a place as anyone else, like your brother does. Most people can learn to see beyond the disability to the person who has it. Those of us on this Website are participating in this teaching process. It's our aim to help the new Austins grow up in world where Down syndrome is no more strange than left-handedness.

Give your new babies and your brother a squeeze from us.

Al, Penny, Will and (the 17-year-olds with DS), their older brother who is studying autism, their older brother and his wife who both work for The Arc of the Piedmont in Virginia, and older brother Steve whose wife is a special education teacher and who have a son with an unknown developmental disability.

introduction

Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4 months old. We live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's DS when he was 1 month old; the twins were born prematurely at week 32 and Austins DS was not evident until later. I am a new mother, but have much expirience with handicapped childern because my younger brother has cerebral paulsy.  This is definitely different, for I am already overwhelmed by the many doctors appointements and exams that Austin hast to endure. I thank the informtaion you can give me so I can raise both the twins with all the love and support that both a healthy child and one with DS needs.

Guest guest

, wonderful to have you here! I too have fraternal twin

brothers. ph has (T21) and is typical. The were born at

36 weeks and we had a positive diagnosis for ph when he was 12

days old. This is a great board and you will find fantastic support

here. CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your boys!!

Christie~~~mom to (5) and the twins ph (T21) and

(almost 9 months!!)

>

> Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4

months old. We live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's

DS when he was 1 month old; the twins were born prematurely at week

32 and Austins DS was not evident until later. I am a new mother, but

have much expirience with handicapped childern because my younger

brother has cerebral paulsy. This is definitely different, for I am

already overwhelmed by the many doctors appointements and exams that

Austin hast to endure. I thank the informtaion you can give me so I

can raise both the twins with all the love and support that both a

healthy child and one with DS needs.

>

>

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

Guest guest

Al,

Your words are right on! And I love that your other children are

using the special knowledge they have as a sibling to make a

difference for those with disabilities. I can't wait to see how Jake

uses his gifts as Luke's twin.

Sounds like you have a very special family!

--mom to Luke (DS) and Jake, almost 6

>

> Dear ,

>

>

>

> This is definitely the right place to ask about DS and twins (or

more).

>

>

>

>

> First thing to remember: you have twins. Having one twin with DS

makes it more interesting, but raising twins is the bigger challenge.

Talk to other families with twins or triplets.

>

>

>

>

> Next: Keep your sense of humor. Some of the things that happen to

your family will happen to no other (except those like ours on this

Website). It's a wild and woolly ride--that's a reference to trying

to ride a buffalo--but you will not be thrown off. You can share your

laughs and fears with us. Especially the laughs. We like the laughs.

>

>

>

>

> And: Find a physician you can trust to oversee your children's

care. He or she will have the last say on any proposed procedure,

diet regimen or medical device. Whatever anyone wants to do must be

cleared by that doctor. This is very important (Muy, muy importante).

Twins with Down syndrome, fraternal or identical, can be a magnet for

people with medical degrees and too much curiosity or unwavering

beliefs about child development.  After our twins arrived, our

pediatrician told us to refer all medical questions to her, and she

made an intensive study study of Down syndrome. We told everyone who

wanted us to help them to try something new or to check out a theory

about DS that " Dr. Gogo " (as our sons called her, her name was

Manigault) had to say it was okay. It is worth the time to find just

the right Dr. Gogo.

>

>

>

>

> Then: Introduce and Austin to the world. They are new babies!

¡Fabuloso! Think of all they are going to learn in the next five

years! They have just as much a place as anyone else, like your

brother does. Most people can learn to see beyond the disability to

the person who has it. Those of us on this Website are participating

in this teaching process. It's our aim to help the new Austins grow

up in world where Down syndrome is no more strange than left-

handedness.

>

>

>

>

> Give your new babies and your brother a squeeze from us.

>

>

>

>

> Al, Penny, Will and (the 17-year-olds with DS), their

older brother who is studying autism, their older brother and

his wife who both work for The Arc of the Piedmont in Virginia, and

older brother Steve whose wife is a special education teacher and who

have a son with an unknown developmental disability.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> introduction

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi, my name is , mother of and Austin (DS) who are 4

months

> old. We live in Bogota, Colombia. We found out about Austin's DS

when he was 1

> month old; the twins were born prematurely at week 32 and Austins

DS was not

> evident until later. I am a new mother, but have much expirience

with

> handicapped childern because my younger brother has cerebral

paulsy. 

> This is definitely different, for I am already overwhelmed by the

many doctors

> appointements and exams that Austin hast to endure. I thank the

informtaion

> you can give me so I can raise both the twins with all the love

and support

> that both a healthy child and one with DS needs.

>

>

>   

>

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Welcome! This is a great group of people. Wife to Mom to Amy (20), Kelsey (18), Davey (DS) 8, and Will 8Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TDate: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:18:32 -0700 (PDT)To: <Multiples-DS >Subject: Introduction Hi, my name is Michele Sanphy and my husband's name is Matt. We live in Reading, MA. and have three children. Our oldest is who will be three on August 3rd. Our twins are a little over 9 months and are named, and . is our daughter with DS. She is doing well overall, but requires so much more medical monitoring. Matt and I attended the NDSC Convention in Boston this past weekend and really were impressed with it all. We learned so much and left feeling very positive. I am happy to have learned about this resource as well. Thank You, Michele Sanphy

Guest guest

Welcome Michele and family. We live in Florida and have b,b,g triplets who turned

10 this May and a son who turned 12 a few days later. You have so much to look

forward to, we have a wonderful support group here and so many knowledgable families

who "have been there and done that."

Irene

Introduction

Hi, my name is Michele Sanphy and my husband's name is Matt. We live in Reading, MA. and have three children. Our oldest is who will be three on August 3rd. Our twins are a little over 9 months and are named, and . is our daughter with DS. She is doing well overall, but requires so much more medical monitoring. Matt and I attended the NDSC Convention in Boston this past weekend and really were impressed with it all. We learned so much and left feeling very positive. I am happy to have learned about this resource as well.

Thank You, Michele Sanphy

Guest guest

Hi Michele,

welcome to the group. It looks like our twins are only a few weeks

apart (my girls were born Nov 2).

Anca, proud mommy to

Alyssa (Jun 2004)

a (T21) & Tianna (Nov 2007)

>

> Hi, my name is Michele Sanphy and my husband's name is Matt.  We

live in Reading, MA. and have three children.  Our oldest is

who will be three on August 3rd.  Our twins are a little over 9

months and are named, and .  is our daughter with

DS.  She is doing well overall, but requires so much more medical

monitoring. Matt and I attended the NDSC Convention in Boston this

past weekend and really were impressed with it all.  We learned so

much and left feeling very positive.  I am happy to have learned

about this resource as well.

>  

> Thank You, Michele Sanphy

>

Guest guest

9 sets of tubes! Wow I can't even imagine. Fortunately we have

finally found a great ENT and this 4th set that he put in are T

tubes. They have made a world of difference!

>

> > Hello to All!

> > My name is Easterling. My husband, , and I have

three

> > children. (DS) is 4 1/2, Ruth is 2 and Adeline (DS)

is

> > just a few weeks old. We live in Junction City, KS and until a few

> > weeks ago I worked in a hospital laboratory. After was born

I had

> > a number of comlications and we decided I would quit my job and

become

> > a few time mom. It is turning into an exciting and yet a bit scary

> > adventure.

> > Just a little bit about my kiddos. is an extremely active

pre-

> > schooler. We have been lucky with his health. Although we have

> > struggled a lot with his hearing. After the 4th set of tubes he

has

> > really started to become more verbal. It has been helpful that his

> > younger sister is starting to talk as well.

> > Adeline is also very healthy and very mellow, something that

we

> > need in our family.

> > I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

We have a fantastic ENT also. It is just Davey's ear canals are SO small that he can't get the T tubes in. The doctor hopes that as he gets older, the canals will get bigger.

9 sets of tubes! Wow I can't even imagine. Fortunately we have finally found a great ENT and this 4th set that he put in are T tubes. They have made a world of difference! > > > Hello to All!> > My name is Easterling. My husband, , and I have three> > children. (DS) is 4 1/2, Ruth is 2 and Adeline (DS)

is> > just a few weeks old. We live in Junction City, KS and until a few> > weeks ago I worked in a hospital laboratory. After was born I had> > a number of comlications and we decided I would quit my job and

become> > a few time mom. It is turning into an exciting and yet a bit scary> > adventure.> > Just a little bit about my kiddos. is an extremely active pre-> > schooler. We have been lucky with his health. Although we have

> > struggled a lot with his hearing. After the 4th set of tubes he has> > really started to become more verbal. It has been helpful that his> > younger sister is starting to talk as well.

> > Adeline is also very healthy and very mellow, something that we> > need in our family.> > I'm looking forward to meeting you all!> >> >> >>

Guest guest

has had 5 sets of tubes, but the most recent set were t-tubes, which seem to be staying in place better. has had 4 sets of tubes, but we found out last week that one of the tubes is out. Luckily there was no fluid buildup behind the ear drum, so we are not having them replaced immediately. The ENT will see Matty in 4 to 5 weeks, them he will probably need another set, which will be the more permanent, t-tubes this time.

a,

Mom to and , 5 yr old identical twins with DS

t: Re: Introduction

Welcome Kim and family.

Davey has had 9 sets of ear tubes. Hang in there. We are hoping next time to get T tubes in, but we will see how it goes.

I used to work for LabCorp and now work for a Uropathologst. My hubby stays home with the kids.

PS, we love pictures.

mom to Amy 20, Kelsey 18, Davey 8, and Will 8

Hello to All!

My name is Easterling. My husband, , and I have three

children. (DS) is 4 1/2, Ruth is 2 and Adeline (DS) is

just a few weeks old. We live in Junction City, KS and until a few

weeks ago I worked in a hospital laboratory. After was born I had

a number of comlications and we decided I would quit my job and become

a few time mom. It is turning into an exciting and yet a bit scary

adventure.

Just a little bit about my kiddos. is an extremely active pre-

schooler. We have been lucky with his health. Although we have

struggled a lot with his hearing. Af ter the 4th set of tubes he has

really started to become more verbal. It has been helpful that his

younger sister is starting to talk as well.

Adeline is also very healthy and very mellow, something that we

need in our family.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar Now!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to everyone. We have enjoyed reading all the posts this last

year and have found the group extremely informative.

We have 20 month old boy twins (ds) and Liam. Tommy will be

happy to tell you that he is 12 minuts older than Liam. Tommy also

has Hirschsprung's disease (he had 5 inches of his colon removed and

reconnected thru what is termed a pull thru surgery). Tommy had an

NG tube for his first 10 months of life and now has a Gtube. He

uses sign lanugage to communicate, can sign more, eat, itsy bitsy

spider song, dog and happy. He is one of four of our children and

continues to be our inspiration and joy. Liam is a healthy little

toddler and LOVES his brother, many times walking over to Tommy and

rubbing his brothers back.

We look forward to checking this message board often. Our current

questions are: does anyone use daycare with their kiddos that have