RemedySpot.com

Re: When will I learn?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I know how frustrating tantrums get! My daughter has done the same. When we go to the store we make sure to have a back up plan. I save the happy meal toys in my purse for distractions. If they get lost or ruined I don't care. It's a distraction (I don't know how old your kid is so not sure if a happy meal toy would do the trick.) If that doesn't work another idea is most stores have a dollar section. I will give my daughter a couple of dollars and IF she is a good girl she can pick her own dollar item. For us when we walk in Target there is a big cheap section right when you walk in. Well I use that as incentive to behave for our shopping trip. She steps out of line she has to give me a dollar which means one less toy, dish towel or whatever dollar item

floats her boat that day. Maybe he is acting out because of all the change lately you mentioned. I don't like the word brat but I understand what you are getting across. I know here change is difficult and causes bad behavior. Change is frustrating and takes weeks to adjust. Did you get your appointment yet? I hope things are better today. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:39 AM Subject: When will I learn?

Of course another shopping incident in which my son exploded...And since I was getting things for my husband, we had no option of leaving. My son threw THE biggest fit over my saying No to these floating lights that go in the pool. I had explained to him that maybe for his birthday but not today...Well then he just got the biggest attitude and began repeating "I want them" over and over again! It escalated from there and I was so very angry that I nearly spanked him right there in the store.

I try to go shopping without them (all my kids but mainly him), but now school is out and I pulled him out of summer school (bus issues, a whole other problem there not associated with him) and my husband was ridiculously busy so he couldn't watch him, so I was stuck...I swear, if I wasn't afraid of all of the weirdos in my town, I'd go shopping in the middle of the night!

Sorry but I had to rant to someone who understands. He has been a brat lately and I am really trying to redirect him and sometimes we have really good days. I have a lead on getting his diagnosis, just waiting for a call back to schedule an appointment. I hate this waiting game...I was just going to forget it, but I think sometimes I need more help than he does. It's not just the diagnosis, it is the help associated with it.

Guest guest

My son is 7, and is learning to write in school.  One of the things we do with him when it's a big shopping day is make up the shopping list before we go, even if hubby doesn't want to cuz he usually shops without one, but we give the list to my son with a task of marking off the items as we find them.  That keeps him focused on less eager to go off and spin in the middle of an isle or walk off aimlessly, forgetting to look out for others and not bump into them.  If there are things we forgot to put on the list that we grab, he'll write down on the list what it was we grabbed, usually by plopping down in the middle of the isle with pen and paper, very cute actually.  He came up with that part on his own. The funniest one was when I decided it was hot and I wanted some beer (not something I do often lol), and down goes my boy, right in the middel of the beer section, so he could write BEER on the list LOL.

Giving him a task to do helps so much, and he's getting good at learning where things are in the store, which helps me because I cannot remember locations of things to save my life; I can barely find the exit upon leaving lol.

Ashton (Aspie mom with 2 autistic sons)

I know how frustrating tantrums get! My daughter has done the same. When we go to the store we make sure to have a back up plan. I save the happy meal toys in my purse for distractions. If they get lost or ruined I don't care. It's a distraction (I don't know how old your kid is so not sure if a happy meal toy would do the trick.) If that doesn't work  another idea is most stores have a dollar section. I will give my daughter a couple of dollars and IF she is a good girl she can pick her own dollar item. For us when we walk in Target there is a big cheap section right when you walk in. Well I use that as incentive to behave for our shopping trip. She steps out of line she has to give me a dollar which means one less toy, dish towel or whatever dollar item

floats her boat that day. Maybe he is acting out because of all the change lately you mentioned. I don't like the word brat but I understand what you are getting across. I know here change is difficult and causes bad behavior. Change is frustrating and takes weeks to adjust. 

Did you get your appointment yet? I hope things are better today.   

To: autism-aspergers Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:39 AM

Subject: When will I learn?

Of course another shopping incident in which my son exploded...And since I was getting things for my husband, we had no option of leaving. My son threw THE biggest fit over my saying No to these floating lights that go in the pool. I had explained to him that maybe for his birthday but not today...Well then he just got the biggest attitude and began repeating " I want them " over and over again! It escalated from there and I was so very angry that I nearly spanked him right there in the store.

I try to go shopping without them (all my kids but mainly him), but now school is out and I pulled him out of summer school (bus issues, a whole other problem there not associated with him) and my husband was ridiculously busy so he couldn't watch him, so I was stuck...I swear, if I wasn't afraid of all of the weirdos in my town, I'd go shopping in the middle of the night!

Sorry but I had to rant to someone who understands. He has been a brat lately and I am really trying to redirect him and sometimes we have really good days. I have a lead on getting his diagnosis, just waiting for a call back to schedule an appointment. I hate this waiting game...I was just going to forget it, but I think sometimes I need more help than he does. It's not just the diagnosis, it is the help associated with it.