RemedySpot.com

Re: Zoloft for 15yr old male

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My son was on Prozac, not Zoloft, but it made him apathetic....kinda blah....like whatever. It also we noticed it increased his repetitive behaviors, but the side effects are minimal. Worth a try if you think he might need it. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 12:30 PM Subject: Zoloft for 15yr old male

I wrote awhile back about my son. He's been to many people, he has no formal XD as of now. But 1 dr was thinking PDD, 1 is sure he's AS, one said he has a social disorder. I am waiting on the latest report. They did say that AS wasn't showing up but that they r looking at somewhere on the spectrum & that there is an emotional component. All that taking into consideration his dr wants to start him on 50mg of Zoloft. Anyone have anything at all (experiences or research on teens on the spectrum taking Zoloft) that you're willing to share. Privates welcome too.

TIA Laurie

Guest guest

I've been going through a lot of the same problems. Hoping and praying for a

diagnosis that will make sense of all symptoms. Especially hoping for a

diagnosis to get help through services that are out of my reach without an

official autism spectrum DX. My daughter is now 14 and has been in and out of

hospitals, professionals offices, and in counseling with multiple therapists;

psychiatrists and psychologists for years. All of them feel that she exhibits

Aspergers symptoms however, she never gets a diagnosis. She's been diagnosed

with ADHD, OCD, ODD, PDD, Depression, Scizotypal Disorder and still there's

little to no relief with services to help. She has never been on Zoloft but was

prescribed Prozac, Concerta/Adderall, and Risperidone. All the medications that

were prescribed I truly feel greatly helped and continue to help my daughter

with her impulse control, and ability to cope with emotions she doesn't fully

understand. My suggestion is to research side effects of Zoloft on teens, and

keep a close eye on behaviors that might change. Always document everything as

well. Documentation always helps professionals working with a child to gain

perspective on the wide variety of behaviors.

>

>

> I wrote awhile back about my son. He's been to many people, he has no formal

XD as of now. But 1 dr was thinking PDD, 1 is sure he's AS, one said he has a

social disorder. I am waiting on the latest report. They did say that AS wasn't

showing up but that they r looking at somewhere on the spectrum & that there is

an emotional component. All that taking into consideration his dr wants to start

him on 50mg of Zoloft. Anyone have anything at all (experiences or research on

teens on the spectrum taking Zoloft) that you're willing to share. Privates

welcome too.

> TIA Laurie

>

Guest guest

Our daughter (age 9) was diagnosed with ASD about a year and a half ago. We use a lot of dietary and nutritional supports, but have also worked with her psychiatrist over the past year or so to find some additional prescription supports. One of these is Zoloft. Recognizing that one person's experience with any medication is, simply, one person's experience with that medication, I can say that Zoloft has been great for her. We've seen an amazing change in her moods (at IEP meeting this year all of the teachers actually commented on how wonderful it has been to see her smiling and laughing. Though we see this at home fairly often, they almost never saw it prior to the medication change because the anxiety was so present). She has actually told us that she feels happier now. We've also found that she is more verbal as well. She is on the upper-end of the spectrum so generally hasn't had a lot of issues with verbal communication with us at home, but she is talking more, asking more questions (and listening to the answers), and sharing what she is feeling and what she does while not with us (we still have to work to get this, but it is much better than it used to be).

I'm a trained holistic health counselor, so I am generally not a fan of prescription medications, but just as I'm willing to admit my Lyrica really helps my fibromyalgia, I can honestly say that Zoloft has made a major positive difference in our daughter's life.

Best,

I wrote awhile back about my son. He's been to many people, he has no formal XD as of now. But 1 dr was thinking PDD, 1 is sure he's AS, one said he has a social disorder. I am waiting on the latest report. They did say that AS wasn't showing up but that they r looking at somewhere on the spectrum & that there is an emotional component. All that taking into consideration his dr wants to start him on 50mg of Zoloft. Anyone have anything at all (experiences or research on teens on the spectrum taking Zoloft) that you're willing to share. Privates welcome too.

TIA Laurie

Guest guest

This is an excellent example of what I said about one person's experience being one person's experience. We've seen a decrease in our daughter's repetitive behaviors and it mostly eliminated her apathy. The mind and body and how they react to different things are so darn fascinating!

My son was on Prozac, not Zoloft, but it made him apathetic....kinda blah....like whatever.  It also we noticed it increased his repetitive behaviors, but the side effects are minimal.  Worth a try if you think he might need it. 

To: autism-aspergers

Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 12:30 PM Subject: Zoloft for 15yr old male

TIA Laurie

Guest guest

Prozac & Paxil are similar not so with Zoloft as far as I know. Thanks for the

info. My son is completely disconnected with his feeling. He has no interest,

can only have surface conversations. He never goes to anyone's house nor has

anyone over. He doesn't call anyone nor does anyone call him. He's bored stiff

cuz he doesn't want to do anything. He's told me he does what's asked of him

around the house cuz it gives him something to do. He told me he's never looked

forward to anything & I know that I could take anything away from him

(electronics, games) he could care less. He's petrified of being outside because

of flying stinging insects, doesn't like to touch anything that's been outside,

is outside waiting for me right now with jeans, tee & hooded heavy sweat jacket

with the hood up & it's hot here........ He doesn't show much emotion, his

smiles in picture look so forced (he says he doesn't know how to smile) & his

eyes are usually half closed. Getting closer to getting off the fence about

trying the Zoloft

Thanks Laurie

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > My son was on Prozac, not Zoloft, but it made him apathetic....kinda

> > blah....like whatever. It also we noticed it increased his repetitive

> > behaviors, but the side effects are minimal. Worth a try if you think he

> > might need it.

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > *From:* Laurie

> > *To:* autism-aspergers

> > *Sent:* Monday, July 9, 2012 12:30 PM

> > *Subject:* Zoloft for 15yr old male

> >

> >

> >

> > I wrote awhile back about my son. He's been to many people, he has no

> > formal XD as of now. But 1 dr was thinking PDD, 1 is sure he's AS, one said

> > he has a social disorder. I am waiting on the latest report. They did say

> > that AS wasn't showing up but that they r looking at somewhere on the

> > spectrum & that there is an emotional component. All that taking into

> > consideration his dr wants to start him on 50mg of Zoloft. Anyone have

> > anything at all (experiences or research on teens on the spectrum taking

> > Zoloft) that you're willing to share. Privates welcome too.

> > TIA Laurie

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I take Zoloft and have only had tiredness as a side effect. I can be annoying at times but, I have learned to live with it. I would check Web MD for information. Some people have other side effects. To: autism-aspergers

TIA Laurie

Guest guest

Yes mainstream - hasn't been formally dx'd.

Every teacher that I've talked & his IEP states appropriate classroom behavior

as his strengths. He never causes a problem & does what he's told to do. Most of

the teachers have said they wish they had a classroom full of kids like him.

He's 15 1/2 yrs. been hitting my head against a brick wall since he was 8yrs !!

I think I'd get charged with asualt if someone restrained my child like that! I

hope someone loses a job at the very least over that!

Laurie

> > >

> > > > **

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > My son was on Prozac, not Zoloft, but it made him apathetic....kinda

> > > > blah....like whatever. It also we noticed it increased his repetitive

> > > > behaviors, but the side effects are minimal. Worth a try if you think he

> > > > might need it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ------------------------------

> > > > *From:* Laurie <murphterv@>

> > > > *To:* autism-aspergers

> > > > *Sent:* Monday, July 9, 2012 12:30 PM

> > > > *Subject:* Zoloft for 15yr old male

> > > >

Guest guest

Zoloft has been a wonderful thing for my son. He just turned ten years old and his ability to cope and pull himself out of a negative spiral downward has improved as well as his ability to self-soothe. Good luck! To: "autism-aspergers "

<autism-aspergers > Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 4:05 PM Subject: Re: Zoloft for 15yr old male

I take Zoloft and have only had tiredness as a side effect. I can be annoying at times but, I have learned to live with it. I would check Web MD for information. Some people have other side effects. To: autism-aspergers

TIA Laurie