RemedySpot.com

Re: Training Device

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm no expert obviously :) but I think that's still young and she is still working it out.  It's highly possible she'll have a rough time (disgraphia) with writing, but it's possible that she won't.  My now 10 year old son had a very very difficult time with writing.  He wound up getting some OT just for that, and had a grip, etc that helped a lot. In fact, this year his handwriting improved to the degree I thought I would never see!  But, it did take intervention, practice, and tools. 

I'd keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't change any within this year, then yes, I'd do something to help.  But, I feel bad even offering advice since I'm not an OT. lol!

Does anyone have a take on whether to use a pencil holding

training device vs. just letting them hold it the way it feels natural to them?

My daughter 4.5 year old has a hard time holding

pencils and utensils. She can write all of our names but it is hardly legible.

She also has a hard time holding silverware properly. I have tried to teach her

how to hold them properly, but I am afraid if I push her she will regress.

Often she wants to make a fist and puts the pencil,

crayon, pen or whatever in the center of her fist and write like that. She does like to scribble and when she colors she wants to stay in the lines but is all over the place. She holds the silverware the same except she tilts her wrist differently to eat.

Thanks for advance  

Guest guest

Thanks , I appreciate your advice. Don't feel bad, sometimes parental advice is just as good (if not more practical) as the professionals. Especially when you are speaking from experience. She has a strong desire to write. You will not find her without a pad of paper and pen. To: autism-aspergers Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:51 AM Subject: Re: Training Device

I'm no expert obviously :) but I think that's still young and she is still working it out. It's highly possible she'll have a rough time (disgraphia) with writing, but it's possible that she won't. My now 10 year old son had a very very difficult time with writing. He wound up getting some OT just for that, and had a grip, etc that helped a lot. In fact, this year his handwriting improved to the degree I thought I would never see! But, it did take intervention, practice, and tools.

I'd keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't change any within this year, then yes, I'd do something to help. But, I feel bad even offering advice since I'm not an OT. lol!

Does anyone have a take on whether to use a pencil holding

training device vs. just letting them hold it the way it feels natural to them?

My daughter 4.5 year old has a hard time holding

pencils and utensils. She can write all of our names but it is hardly legible.

She also has a hard time holding silverware properly. I have tried to teach her

how to hold them properly, but I am afraid if I push her she will regress.

Often she wants to make a fist and puts the pencil,

crayon, pen or whatever in the center of her fist and write like that. She does like to scribble and when she colors she wants to stay in the lines but is all over the place. She holds the silverware the same except she tilts her wrist differently to eat.

Thanks for advance

Guest guest

My daughter's OT at school had her using these. http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Classics-Ergonomic-TPG-171/dp/B004Y4HA5G/ref=sr_1_27?s=office-products & ie=UTF8 & qid=1341932330 & sr=1-27 & keywords=pencil+grip I've found the same ones at walmart.

They helped a lot. There are other colors and designs. Just Google pencil grips...anything that looks like it has specific places for them to put their fingers, should help. Plus the cool colors make them want to use them.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you;

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

-- Training Device

Does anyone have a take on whether to use a pencil holding training device vs. just letting them hold it the way it feels natural to them?

My daughter 4.5 year old has a hard time holding pencils and utensils. She can write all of our names but it is hardly legible. She also has a hard time holding silverware properly. I have tried to teach her how to hold them properly, but I am afraid if I push her she will regress.

Often she wants to make a fist and puts the pencil, crayon, pen or whatever in the center of her fist and write like that. She does like to scribble and when she colors she wants to stay in the lines but is all over the place. She holds the silverware the same except she tilts her wrist differently to eat.

Thanks for advance

Guest guest

Thanks , I looked those up and I will check them out next time I go to Wally World. The problem is getting her to handle something that is rubbery feeling. She is so grossed out and bothered by that texture. On a side note I was so proud of her the other night. When she started gymnastics the instructors give the kids a stamp on the hand after class. They gave her one the first time and she flipped out. She HATES and I mean HATES anything on her skin. Well the other day after class she asked for a stamp and proudly showed it off. She then was upset when it washed off in the bath. It struck me as very odd for her because she has been having a hard time since Saturday. Most people wouldn't think that is

a big deal but with her it is a HUGE deal!! Thanks for the link, I appreciate it! If guns kill people then pencils cause misspelled words To: autism-aspergers Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:02 AM Subject: Re: Training Device

My daughter's OT at school had her using these. http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Classics-Ergonomic-TPG-171/dp/B004Y4HA5G/ref=sr_1_27?s=office-products & ie=UTF8 & qid=1341932330 & sr=1-27 & keywords=pencil+grip I've found the same ones at walmart.

They helped a lot. There are other colors and designs. Just Google pencil grips...anything that looks like it has specific places for them to put their fingers, should help. Plus the cool colors make them want to use them.

-- Training Device

Does anyone have a take on whether to use a pencil holding training device vs. just letting them hold it the way it feels natural to them?

My daughter 4.5 year old has a hard time holding pencils and utensils. She can write all of our names but it is hardly legible. She also has a hard time holding silverware properly. I have tried to teach her how to hold them properly, but I am afraid if I push her she will regress. Often she wants to make a fist and puts the pencil, crayon, pen or whatever in the center of her fist and write like that. She does like to scribble and when she colors she wants to stay in the lines but is all over the place. She holds the silverware the same except she tilts her wrist differently to eat. Thanks for advance

Guest guest

I am pretty sure there are tools for this- not sure of the names. The

handwriting program I used for my kids suggested you start with super short

pencils or broken chunks of crayon because it forces the child to hold the item

with the fingers rather than the fist.

Handwriting Without Tears (the Teacher's Manual) would have some additional

instruction on how to guide the child.

There are also ball shaped grips with indents for the individual fingers that

might help- often these are made of the harder plastic and not squishy. Using

fatter pencils or pens with the " comfort grips " might help. You might also

practice developing that grip with toys and other items.

Guest guest

The pencil grips feel more like a pencil erase than a rubbery feeling...IMO. Fortunately, they are not super expensive so you would even try modifying them if she doesn't like them. You could coat them in candle wax, plastic wrap, tin foil or try spray paint them. Not sure how any of that would work but play around with them. I think it is funny that you said she doesn't like rubbery feeling and my though was oh, ok. Most moms would be like "what?" about that but we all know those little quirky things our kids hate. I think the sensory stuff can be harder to deal with than the ASD.

My kids were grossed out about stuff on their skin. My NT son freaked out if I put a band aid on him...actually my ASD daughter did too. They deal with it fine now but still not their favorite thing. My daughter is in OT and is not meeting one of her goals because she has to put her hands in something messy for at least 3 minutes without pulling out. She can't do it. She is 15. I remember putting her in her high chair when she was little with finger paint. She got it on her hands and then looked at her hands and freaked out because her hands were dirty. It was funny at the time and I laughed my butt off...I'm mean that way.

You can get cheap ink and stamps at walmart so maybe you could bride her into using the pencil grips. Oh, I had a great thought. Get stamps, stickers and some colored card stock. Have her make cards for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa...the dog or whatever. Tell her greeting cards always have works on them so she needs to write a note too. That might help her hate writing a little less. She might not even realize she is writing. My son has difficulty writing and he loves to make cards and write notes.

Good luck!

-- Training Device

My daughter 4.5 year old has a hard time holding pencils and utensils. She can write all of our names but it is hardly legible. She also has a hard time holding silverware properly. I have tried to teach her how to hold them properly, but I am afraid if I push her she will regress.

Often she wants to make a fist and puts the pencil, crayon, pen or whatever in the center of her fist and write like that. She does like to scribble and when she colors she wants to stay in the lines but is all over the place. She holds the silverware the same except she tilts her wrist differently to eat.

Thanks for advance

Guest guest

My son was diagnosed disgraphic. Gripping the pencil in a correct hold makes a huge difference!We were given from our OT - a different grip. This grip had a string with a charm at the end- he had to old the "lucky charm" with his three fingers forcing the correct posture of the hand- they sell this pretty affordable in adaptable catalogs.This was one of many therapies that helped him be able to write.Correct holding of pencil is extremely important with children that have fine motor delays- but those rubber things from Walmart should not be used at first- if that's your only option, get the triangular ones not the round grippy ones.Pinch grasp I think it was called- is the position they need to learn.Sent from my iPhone

The pencil grips feel more like a pencil erase than a rubbery feeling...IMO. Fortunately, they are not super expensive so you would even try modifying them if she doesn't like them. You could coat them in candle wax, plastic wrap, tin foil or try spray paint them. Not sure how any of that would work but play around with them. I think it is funny that you said she doesn't like rubbery feeling and my though was oh, ok. Most moms would be like "what?" about that but we all know those little quirky things our kids hate. I think the sensory stuff can be harder to deal with than the ASD.

My kids were grossed out about stuff on their skin. My NT son freaked out if I put a band aid on him...actually my ASD daughter did too. They deal with it fine now but still not their favorite thing. My daughter is in OT and is not meeting one of her goals because she has to put her hands in something messy for at least 3 minutes without pulling out. She can't do it. She is 15. I remember putting her in her high chair when she was little with finger paint. She got it on her hands and then looked at her hands and freaked out because her hands were dirty. It was funny at the time and I laughed my butt off...I'm mean that way.

You can get cheap ink and stamps at walmart so maybe you could bride her into using the pencil grips. Oh, I had a great thought. Get stamps, stickers and some colored card stock. Have her make cards for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa...the dog or whatever. Tell her greeting cards always have works on them so she needs to write a note too. That might help her hate writing a little less. She might not even realize she is writing. My son has difficulty writing and he loves to make cards and write notes.

Good luck!

-- Training Device

Thanks for advance

Guest guest

Also-We bought fat crayons and broke them to 1 inch size-We broke pencils or used the ones from the bowling alley-Writing with finger in sand at the beach- in whipped cream on the table- in paint- all helpSent from my iPhone

My son was diagnosed disgraphic. Gripping the pencil in a correct hold makes a huge difference!We were given from our OT - a different grip. This grip had a string with a charm at the end- he had to old the "lucky charm" with his three fingers forcing the correct posture of the hand- they sell this pretty affordable in adaptable catalogs.This was one of many therapies that helped him be able to write.Correct holding of pencil is extremely important with children that have fine motor delays- but those rubber things from Walmart should not be used at first- if that's your only option, get the triangular ones not the round grippy ones.Pinch grasp I think it was called- is the position they need to learn.Sent from my iPhone

Good luck!

-- Training Device

Thanks for advance

Reply to sender |

Reply to group |

Reply via web post |

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic

(9)

Recent Activity:

New Members

Visit Your Group