RemedySpot.com

Re: Identicals and MOST

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We are to our knowledge the only set in IL. There was a set born about a year after and Landon but they moved to California a couple of months ago. I hooked up with a down syndrome center in Wisconsin and they knew of none in that state! That doesn't mean there might not be!!

Beth-Mom to 7 and loving it!!!!

Subject: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 3:42 PM

Hi Maggie,

Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20 sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If anyone has any better information, please jump in.

PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97 cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.

Sandy Weber ,

mom to Way too Many! Including Triplets!

Statistically, I think Al had previously estimated that there would be about 12 sets of identical twins with DS born in the US each year. We certainly haven't heard of anywhere near that many. This group represents the most I've heard of. xo maggie

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 5:56:44 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

>Hi there... I am mom to IDT with DS Hagen and Brogan were our first..Parents of identicals are rare. The last number I saw percentage wise was that we are about 5% of the DS community... not sure how accurate that is b/c the US does not have a registry like the UK does. (that I know of) We live in Texas... I know of about several in Texas and a few years ago had counted between 20 and 30 different in US... based on the groups online. Kellie HillHagen & Brogan (Identical Twins) DS 5years

What was the outcome on this sight does any one remember-I don't recall seeing the final numbers.

Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 1:02 PM

Statistically, I think Al had previously estimated that there would be about 12 sets of identical twins with DS born in the US each year. We certainly haven't heard of anywhere near that many. This group represents the most I've heard of. xo maggie

From: Kellie <twinshmbhyahoo (DOT) com>To: Multiples-DS@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, December 5, 2008 5:56:44 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

>Hi there... I am mom to IDT with DS Hagen and Brogan were our first..Parents of identicals are rare. The last number I saw percentage wise was that we are about 5% of the DS community... not sure how accurate that is b/c the US does not have a registry like the UK does. (that I know of) We live in Texas... I know of about several in Texas and a few years ago had counted between 20 and 30 different in US... based on the groups online. Kellie HillHagen & Brogan (Identical Twins) DS 5years

Here's a question for all you moms of identical twins with Down syndrome.... During pregnancy, did you have one sac and placenta or two? My guys were in separate sacs with separate placentas which means that the egg split in the fallopian tube in the first couple of days after being fertilized and then traveled down to the uterus where it attached as two completely separate but identical babies. (During pregnancy, we thought they were fraternal b/c of this but they were tested at birth to be sure.) A split that early, I'm told, accounts for about 2% of all identical twins and actually helps them develop a bit stronger b/c they're not vying for food having a separate feeding source for each. I'm curious if this is more common in Identicals with DS than the shared sac scenario. Just a personal hypothesis since the statistic that anywhere from 50%-75% of fetuses with Down

syndrome spontaneously abort. And, identical twins have a higher miscarriage rate as well often blamed on the challenges of the shared sac (and TTTS which only happens in the shared sac as well). I would think that the separate sacs scenario might help our special children to survive and might, perhaps, be more common than the shared sac scenario. What do you think? How did you carry?

xo maggie

Mom to Olivia '01 and & '05 (IDs w/ DS)

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 5:16:17 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

We are to our knowledge the only set in IL. There was a set born about a year after and Landon but they moved to California a couple of months ago. I hooked up with a down syndrome center in Wisconsin and they knew of none in that state! That doesn't mean there might not be!!

Beth-Mom to 7 and loving it!!!!

From: Weber <junglemom9yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, December 5, 2008, 3:42 PM

Hi Maggie,

Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20 sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If anyone has any better information, please jump in.

PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97 cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.

Sandy Weber ,

Kellie - I LOVE your guys' names. Hagan (with an A) is my married surname and Brogan, which according to my parents is gaelic for shoe, was the name of my first dog as a child. xo maggie

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Friday, December 5, 2008 5:56:44 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

This was Al's post at the end of October re: stats. I don't believe anyone

challenged him. And, from this, I concluded that the chances of having identical mirror-image twins with DS, like my guys, are about 1 in a million.

"The estimated frequency of twins with Down syndrome can be found with simple math.Roughly:Fraternal twins (not counting in vitro impregnations) occur here in every 100 births. In some areas of the world the rate is higher, because the mothers more frequently ovulate two eggs. It can be an inherited trait.Down syndrome births are estimated at one in every 800. The interesting thing, I have heard, is that roughly half of all spontaneously aborted fetuses have Down syndrome, so the rate of conception is higher. (What outrages me--and I am sure most of us in this group--is that a frequent decision to electively abort is that the fetus has been found to have DS. I just went on a Buddy Walk, laughing all the way with some wonderful people who had the good fortune not to be aborted.) Now, off the soap box...The occurrence of fraternal twins born with Down syndrome is 100 X 800, or 80,000.The frequency of identical

twins is constant worldwide--about 1 in every 300 births. Three hundred times 800 equals 240,000. With about 4 million births in the U.S. every year, about a dozen of them involve twins with Down syndrome.You ask about the birth of fraternal twins both with DS? One hundred times 800 X 800 again for the second child. In the U.S., that would occur about once every 16 years.Challenge me on this if you can find better data.Al Veerhoffwhose sons arein the dozen-a-year category xo maggie

Mom to Olivia '01 and & '05 (IDs w/ DS)

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 3:01:05 PMSubject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOST

What was the outcome on this sight does any one remember-I don't recall seeing the final numbers.

From: Margaret M Hagan <marshallhagan@ verizon.net>Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 1:02 PM

From: Kellie <twinshmbhyahoo (DOT) com>To: Multiples-DS@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, December 5, 2008 5:56:44 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

I have wondered if our boys are mirror twins-one is left-handed(nono of us are)- the hair parts opposite sides-I think I missed most of that group discusiion! Thanks for the info!

From: Margaret M Hagan <marshallhagan@ verizon.net>Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS@ yahoogroups. comDate: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 1:02 PM

My guys are left and right handed, opposite hair cowlicks (SP?), front teeth overlap slightly in exactly the same way but opposite (right over left and left over right) and they each have only 1 simian crease on opposite hands, . However, except for the simian crease, I'm told that most of these could be environmentally impacted. I was also told in the NICU that one of the most telling factors is if there are opposite side birthmarks. Neither of my guys have a single mark on their bodies... which, we were told at the NICU, is highly unusual and, besides both having DS, was one of the first heads up that they were identical. Of course, I'm sure the DS and being nearly EXACTLY the same size at birth were also contributing factors to their identical twin suspicions.

I think I might see if I can research the stats a bit. The numbers don't seem to fit with this board's reality and I think they don't necessarily take into account post-birth survival rates of identical twins which I've been told have a higher infant mortality rate in the first 60 days post birth, or that of infants with DS. A bit dark to think about but, we've got some weird identical twin history in my family. I am the 4th of 5 identical twin sets conceived to women named Margaret in my family bloodline (there was one mom named ). But, only 2 of the 5 sets survived... my boys and a my mother's male cousins (related to me through the maternal blood line). One set died after being born very premature (15 years ago... my guys were born 8 weeks premature with no health issues and requiring no life support of any kind), another set died in utero

in the 9th month (almost 50 years ago... probably would have been delivered early and medically assisted nowadays) and the last set, one of the twins died immediately after birth at full- term (10 years ago in Ireland... not sure what the state of medical treatment was there at the time). Obviously, a lot of unknowns... specifically the available and advanced medical treatment and the infants' other medical, health issues that would affect survival rates such as TTTS or shared sac/placenta, etc.

Except for the twins lost 50 years ago where I don't know the gender, the male twins conceived survived and the female twins conceived did not. Interestingly, our neonatologist said that the inherently weakest baby -- from a medical fragility standpoint -- is the white male -- though this doesn't seem to have proven true in my family history. Note: there is no other Down syndrome in my family anywhere. Though that can't/doesn't account for miscarriages (which were many that I know of), it also doesn't account for any potential terminations of a fetus diagnosed with DS which, being from a very large Irish/Catholic family, I doubt happened.. but I don't know.

I hope that none of this offends anyone on this board. The truth is... we are all here because we beat the odds and our children survived! It's a wonderful story to tell! I know it's strange to contemplate all of this but it interests me b/c it seems the odds were stacked against me and my guys... And, yet, the outcome of my pregnancy was sooooo positive and my boys are soooo healthy and strong. My guys have no heart defects (80% have) or any other medical conditions that typically accompany a diagnosis of Down syndrome. It's no wonder they survived despite me being told that they wouldn't (not b/c of DS but other totally incorrect in-utero diagnoses). I hope and pray our good luck and their good health continues.

xo maggie

Mom to

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:33:45 PMSubject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOST

I have wondered if our boys are mirror twins-one is left-handed( nono of us are)- the hair parts opposite sides-I think I missed most of that group discusiion! Thanks for the info!

>Hi there... I am mom to IDT with DS Hagen and Brogan were our first..Parents of identicals are rare. The last number I saw percentage wise was that we are about 5% of the DS community... not sure how accurate that is b/c the US does not have a registry like the UK does. (that I know of) We live in Texas... I know of about several in Texas and a few years ago had counted between 20 and 30 different in US... based on the groups online. Kellie HillHagen & Brogan (Identical Twins) DS

5years

Hey there everyone,

Since we're talking about statistics so much I have a question. What

is the eye color of your children with Down Syndrome? I'm asking b/c

when Noah was born I went looking online for pictures of kids/babies

with DS and out of the hundreds of pictures I saw, I noticed that

only a couple of the kids had brown eyes. Almost all of them had

blue or hazel eyes, but not brown. Noah and his twin both have blue

eyes, but their older brother has brown eyes like me. I don't know

if genetically or statistically there's something about people with

DS not having brown eyes very often, but just thought this is a good

pool of people to ask! :)

Thanks!

Debby

Mom to Malakai " Kai " 3y.o. two weeks ago!

Ezekiel " Zeze " & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!

>

> Hi Maggie,

> Identicals with down's is not the norm.  Genetics experts will even

tell you it is impossible.  At last count there were approximately 20

sets in the US that I knew of.  Judi may have better numbers than I

do.  And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins  which means triplets or

more.  My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set

that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category.  If

anyone has any better information, please jump in.

>  

> PS Cards are in the mail!!  74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97

cents  to other places in the world.. Per the post office.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy Weber ,

>

That’s interesting! My son has blue

eyes, and his twin started out blue but is now more hazel. My older two have

brown eyes like me, but my husband and my mother both have bright blue eyes, so

we just assumed finally the gene made it’s way through!

Eileen

Mom to Owen-6, Maeve-4, Colin (DS) and

From: Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf Of d_pasho

Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008

2:24 PM

To: Multiples-DS

Subject: Re:

Identicals and MOST

Hey there everyone,

Thanks!

Debby

>

> Hi Maggie,

> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even

tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20

sets in the US

that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I

do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or

more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set

that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If

>

> PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada

& Mexico

and 97

cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy Weber ,

>

and have green eyes. Started out very blue but turned green over the last year. My husband and I both have green eyes (his are hazel from the brown side and mine are green from 2 blue-eyed parents). Our older daughter has light brown eyes. We figured she was the anomaly. xo maggie

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:23:41 PMSubject: Re: Identicals and MOST

Hey there everyone,Since we're talking about statistics so much I have a question. What is the eye color of your children with Down Syndrome? I'm asking b/c when Noah was born I went looking online for pictures of kids/babies with DS and out of the hundreds of pictures I saw, I noticed that only a couple of the kids had brown eyes. Almost all of them had blue or hazel eyes, but not brown. Noah and his twin both have blue eyes, but their older brother has brown eyes like me. I don't know if genetically or statistically there's something about people with DS not having brown eyes very often, but just thought this is a good pool of people to ask! :) Thanks!DebbyMom to Malakai "Kai" 3y.o. two weeks ago!Ezekiel "Zeze" & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!>> Hi Maggie,> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20 sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If anyone has any better information, please jump in.> > PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97 cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.> > > > > > > Sandy

Weber ,>

Both my boys have blue eyes!

Merry Low Parent to 16 DS, congenital heart defect, Hypothyroidism, Leukemia(in remission), chronic lung disease, asthma, Failure to thrive, and osteoperosis; Kate 15 ADHD, NAS, Long QT Syndrome; Jaykob 12 DS, ADHD, hypothyroidism, moderate hearing loss

-- Re: Identicals and MOST

Hey there everyone,Since we're talking about statistics so much I have a question. What is the eye color of your children with Down Syndrome? I'm asking b/c when Noah was born I went looking online for pictures of kids/babies with DS and out of the hundreds of pictures I saw, I noticed that only a couple of the kids had brown eyes. Almost all of them had blue or hazel eyes, but not brown. Noah and his twin both have blue eyes, but their older brother has brown eyes like me. I don't know if genetically or statistically there's something about people with DS not having brown eyes very often, but just thought this is a good pool of people to ask! :) Thanks!DebbyMom to Malakai "Kai" 3y.o. two weeks ago!Ezekiel "Zeze" & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!>> Hi Maggie,> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20 sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If anyone has any better information, please jump in.> > PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97 cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.> > > > > > > Sandy Weber ,>

(ds/adhd/autism) has brown hair and brown eyes. His twin sister has blond hair and blue eyes. Their dad has blond hair and brown eyes and I have brown hair and blue eyes.Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOSTTo: Multiples-DS Received: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 7:06 PM

Merry Low Parent to 16 DS, congenital heart defect, Hypothyroidism, Leukemia(in remission), chronic lung disease, asthma, Failure to thrive, and osteoperosis; Kate 15 ADHD, NAS, Long QT Syndrome; Jaykob 12 DS, ADHD, hypothyroidism, moderate hearing loss

Hey there everyone,Since we're talking about statistics so much I have a question. What is the eye color of your children with Down Syndrome? I'm asking b/c when Noah was born I went looking online for pictures of kids/babies with DS and out of the hundreds of pictures I saw, I noticed that only a couple of the kids had brown eyes. Almost all of them had blue or hazel eyes, but not brown. Noah and his twin both have blue eyes, but their older brother has brown eyes like me. I don't know if genetically or statistically there's something about people with DS not having brown eyes very often, but just thought this is a good pool of people to ask! :) Thanks!DebbyMom to Malakai "Kai" 3y.o. two weeks ago!Ezekiel "Zeze" & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!>> Hi Maggie,> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even tell you it is impossible. At last count there were approximately 20 sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I do. And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins which means triplets or more. My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category. If anyone has any better information, please jump in.> > PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97 cents to other places in the world.. Per the post office.> > > > > > > Sandy Weber ,>

All three of our kids have brown eyes, like their Dad.  (Their

Dad is full-blooded Italian.)  I have green eyes. (I’m also a ‘mutt.’)

Mom to Haley & Nikki, 6 yr identical twin girls both w/DS,

and , 4 ½ yr son

Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf

Of

Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:25 PM

Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOST

(ds/adhd/autism) has brown hair and brown

eyes. His twin sister has blond hair and blue eyes. Their dad has

blond hair and brown eyes and I have brown hair and blue eyes.

Subject: Re: Re: Identicals and MOST

Received: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 7:06 PM

Merry Low Parent to 16 DS, congenital heart defect,

Hypothyroidism, Leukemia(in remission), chronic lung disease, asthma,

Failure to thrive, and osteoperosis; Kate 15 ADHD, NAS, Long QT

Syndrome; Jaykob 12 DS, ADHD, hypothyroidism, moderate hearing loss

Hey there everyone,

Thanks!

Debby

>

> Hi Maggie,

> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will

even

sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I

>

> PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy Weber ,

>

I noticed the same thing about eye color. Jordan had blue eyes....he passed away. has blue eyes.

Deanna, mom to

Alyssa, 14

, 12

Jarod, 8

(DS) 5

~i~Jordan (DS) 1/20/03-2/2/03

Hey there everyone,

if genet

ically or statistically there's something about people with

Thanks!

Debby

Mom to Malakai "Kai" 3y.o. two weeks ago!

Ezekiel "Zeze" & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!

>

> Hi Maggie,

> Identicals with down's is not the norm.  Genetics experts will even

tell you it is impossible.  At last count there were approximately 20

sets in the US that I knew of.  Judi may have better numbers than I

do.  And MOST is Mothers of Super Twins  which means triplets or

more.  My three are natural triplets and there is only one other set

that I know if with identical twins with downs in that category.  If

>  

> PS Cards are in the mail!!  74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97

cents  to other places in the world.. Per the post office.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy Weber ,

>

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

and were single bag single placenta which according to research means the split was around day 7. Plus add one more bag and placenta for . We had a large housing shortage... The boys are now 8 and will be 9 on Valentines(2/14)!

Sandy Weber ,

My son Zachary ds has navy blue eyes very unique compared to his 3 siblings that have bright blue, gren eyes like their dad BUT my brother who had ds also had dark brown eyes. Irene

• 3 weeks later...

this is a really late reply, we've been having computer problems on top of an ice storm that knocked out power for a week right before Christmas...anyway, 's eyes are green, like his aunt s!

Hope you all had a great Holiday, we have loved the cards!

a

mom to Meg14,Jack12,Lucy7,(ds) & 3

Hey there everyone,

Thanks!

Debby

Mom to Malakai "Kai" 3y.o. two weeks ago!

Ezekiel "Zeze" & Noah (DS) 1y.o. in two weeks!

>

> Hi Maggie,

> Identicals with down's is not the norm. Genetics experts will even

sets in the US that I knew of. Judi may have better numbers than I

>

> PS Cards are in the mail!! 74 cents to Canada & Mexico and 97

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sandy Weber ,

>

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!