Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was able to see the pain level personally twice when Zack ds

and his triplet brother Nick had tubes put in at Arnold Palmer

children's hospital their dr has extensive experience w/ds and

informed me Zack would require less sedation and would have

a quicker easier recovery day. Boy was that true Nick seemed so

bothered by his ears and needed tylenol and Zack was pretty much

up and around by the time we got home. It was interesting to see.

Of course it could be personality differences and not ds?

Irene

Re: Update on a's cleft palate surgery> > > Judith-> That would be great if you can find that article-thanks for clarifying that for me! That does make sense what you said!> Beth> >

That was how (DS/ Autism) was you would never know he ever had anything done-Landon (DS) was needing the tylenol and things a little after.

Subject: Re: Re: pain & people with DSTo: Multiples-DS Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 9:06 AM

I was able to see the pain level personally twice when Zack ds

and his triplet brother Nick had tubes put in at Arnold Palmer

children's hospital their dr has extensive experience w/ds and

informed me Zack would require less sedation and would have

a quicker easier recovery day. Boy was that true Nick seemed so

bothered by his ears and needed tylenol and Zack was pretty much

up and around by the time we got home. It was interesting to see.

Of course it could be personality differences and not ds?

Irene

Re: Update on a's cleft palate surgery> > > Judith-> That would be great if you can find that article-thanks for clarifying that for me! That does make sense what you said!> Beth> >

Both articles were interesting. However, my daughter (DS) has a VERY low pain tolerance, and her twin, Caden has a high tolerance. If she is in pain, she will let you know all about it.

~ mom to (DS) and Caden ALMOST 2!!!

Re: pain & people with DS

That is a very interesting article. When Marcel had is hand surgery

earlier this year we got all these pain meds and he did not express any

pain whatsoever. I only gave him the meds the evening after the surgery

cause I was afraid he may not sleep well without it. Same when he had

his tubes placed. He was up and about without expressing any pain. Now

that makes me a bit worried cause maybe he can feel it but not express

it. So maybe we just should give them the medications to be sure?

Anja, mom to Celine (5) ID twins Marcel & Fabien (21mo DS)

The weather's getting colder, but the movies are getting hotter. Get the Moviefone Toolbar and see Moviefone's holiday movie guide today.

I wasn't aware how slowly children with DS respond to pain until I read

the medical paper. It explains why Will gets angry when he has an

earache, and he doesn't talk about the pain.

Our pediatricians certainly have been aware of it. They have never

started any procedure with the twins without giving them some kind of

painkiller in advance. Like the way the dentist gives you Novocain

before drilling.

Al Veerhoff, father to 18-year-old identicals with DS.

Re: pain & people with DS

That is a very interesting article. When Marcel had is hand surgery

earlier this year we got all these pain meds and he did not express any

pain whatsoever. I only gave him the meds the evening after the surgery

cause I was afraid he may not sleep well without it. Same when he had

his tubes placed. He was up and about without expressing any pain. Now

that makes me a bit worried cause maybe he can feel it but not express

it. So maybe we just should give them the medications to be sure?

Anja, mom to Celine (5) ID twins Marcel & Fabien (21mo DS)

When my daughter, who will be 20 soon, had her 2nd open heart surgery at 14 she was a trooper. Her pain tolerance was amazing. She recovered surprisingly well. She has to get blood work done sometimes twice a month because she has a mitral valve replacement and is on a blood thinner. She puts her arm on the arm rest and she will watch them put the needle in her arm. I cant watch. She is amazing. Her sisters cant even watch.

Mother of 4 (20 DS, 17, 14 and 11 months Ds)

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:35:42 PMSubject: Re: Re: pain & people with DS

I wasn't aware how slowly children with DS respond to pain until I read the medical paper. It explains why Will gets angry when he has an earache, and he doesn't talk about the pain.Our pediatricians certainly have been aware of it. They have never started any procedure with the twins without giving them some kind of painkiller in advance. Like the way the dentist gives you Novocain before drilling.Al Veerhoff, father to 18-year-old identicals with DS. Re: pain & people with DSThat is a very interesting

article. When Marcel had is hand surgeryearlier this year we got all these pain meds and he did not express anypain whatsoever. I only gave him the meds the evening after the surgerycause I was afraid he may not sleep well without it. Same when he hadhis tubes placed. He was up and about without expressing any pain. Nowthat makes me a bit worried cause maybe he can feel it but not expressit. So maybe we just should give them the medications to be sure?Anja, mom to Celine (5) ID twins Marcel & Fabien (21mo DS)

I can't find the original article; would someone mind re-forwarding it to me.... thanks.

We've noticed that my daughter only reacts when receiving vaccinations that really hurt/sting (according to my pediatrician) -- e.g., she'll get four shots, and only cry after receiving two of them (versus her typical siblings who will react equally to all four).... so she is truly reacting to the (minimal) pain.

Sheryl

To: Multiples-DS Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:35:42 PMSubject: Re: Re: pain & people with DS

I wasn't aware how slowly children with DS respond to pain until I read the medical paper. It explains why Will gets angry when he has an earache, and he doesn't talk about the pain.Our pediatricians certainly have been aware of it. They have never started any procedure with the twins without giving them some kind of painkiller in advance. Like the way the dentist gives you Novocain before drilling.Al Veerhoff, father to 18-year-old identicals with DS. Re: pain & people with DSThat is a very interesting

article. When Marcel had is hand surgeryearlier this year we got all these pain meds and he did not express anypain whatsoever. I only gave him the meds the evening after the surgerycause I was afraid he may not sleep well without it. Same when he hadhis tubes placed. He was up and about without expressing any pain. Nowthat makes me a bit worried cause maybe he can feel it but not expressit. So maybe we just should give them the medications to be sure?Anja, mom to Celine (5) ID twins Marcel & Fabien (21mo DS)