RemedySpot.com

RE: Hi Again!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sara,

How absolutely awesome to receive an update on your life. Wow! You are a saint with all of the work you have done advocating for the many precious children who have DS. Congratulations on your marriage and now your new baby!

I have wondered what you are up to. Now I know!

My twins are now 14. (They were 4 or 5 when I joined this group). Sara is doing very well, now that she is in 7th-grade. She struggled quite a bit, socially in 5th and 6th grades, especially in our small public school. There are things happening, now, to help educate the school about inclusion, so I am thankful for that. Her twin brother is in 8th-grade and was recently instrumental in inviting a number of girls to Sara's Buddy Lunch, at school. That warmed my heart.

Big brother, Lucas, is 18, and will be off to college (somewhere) in August.

Keep in touch.

Wishing you and your husband a Joyous Season.

Marcia

Mom to Sara (DS) and 14 and Lucas 18

Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending thisupdate, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I foundon facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even beginto tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautifulchildren. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to seehow everyone is doing.For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones withMultiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well itwas doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step awayand let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. Idon't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hopealways will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very luckyfamilies!As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl withDS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate forpeople with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently rana Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YMProm Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to theprom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend ourprom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touchand he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the MiddleEast to start University and worked in a few orphanages for childrenwith special needs and then an adult program that was just starting inTiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr.Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement ofHuman Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similarneeds. At the end of my college career I became an emergency fosterparent for infants with special needs... fostering several newbornswith DS and/or high medical needs. So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after collegeI entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoptionagency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then abirth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birthparent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a yearago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued towork with that agency to help them become accredited for internationaladoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunitiesfor families of children with DS in countries that considered thesekids "unadoptable." In my years with the agency we placed manychildren with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting tooffer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseledmany many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, havehope, and parent if they can. This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is wherewe are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostlybecause our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancyand I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our firstchild, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!)And that's it for now... I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it offlist, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy(Sara@...) or you can email me at that same place. Wishing you all the best....Sara Greenberg-Hassan------------------------------------More pictures of our kids:http://www.pbase.com/urriegrl/multiplesds

Dear Sara the Founder:

Your letter made me realize that it's been about eight years since I met you in Arlington, VA. Thanks for the update. In about two months, I expect you to post a picture of your newborn with all the details about weight, length and delivery just as you would tell all your family. This IS your family, you know.

Al Veerhoff, Kensington, MD, father of & Will, 18-year-old identical twins in their fourth year of high school

Hi Again!

Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending this

update, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I found

on facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even begin

to tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautiful

children. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to see

how everyone is doing.

For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was

14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc

.... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones with

Multiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well it

was doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step away

and let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. I

don't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hope

always will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very lucky

families!

As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl with

DS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate for

people with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently ran

a Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YM

Prom Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to the

prom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend our

prom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touch

and he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the Middle

East to start University and worked in a few orphanages for children

with special needs and then an adult program that was just starting in

Tiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr.

Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement of

Human Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similar

needs. At the end of my college career I became an emergency foster

parent for infants with special needs... fostering several newborns

with DS and/or high medical needs.

So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after college

I entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoption

agency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then a

birth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birth

parent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a year

ago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued to

work with that agency to help them become accredited for international

adoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunities

for families of children with DS in countries that considered these

kids "unadoptable." In my years with the agency we placed many

children with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting to

offer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseled

many many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, have

hope, and parent if they can.

This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is where

we are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostly

because our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancy

and I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our first

child, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!)

And that's it for now...

I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it off

list, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy

(Saragmail) or you can email me at that same place.

Wishing you all the best....

Sara Greenberg-Hassan

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

Sara,

How wonderful to hear from you! I often wondered where you disappeared to!

My boys are almost 9 years old and my two daughters are both in college. We have become involved in Special Olympics and other activities with the boys. My both were under a year Ithink when I found this group!

Congratualtions on your marraige and soon to be parent status. I hope you stay in touch!

wife to

mom to Amy 21, Kelsey 18, Davey (DS) 8 and Will 8

Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending thisupdate, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I foundon facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even begin

to tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautifulchildren. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to seehow everyone is doing.For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was

14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones withMultiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well itwas doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step away

and let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. Idon't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hopealways will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very luckyfamilies!

As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl withDS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate forpeople with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently ran

a Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YMProm Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to theprom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend ourprom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touch

and he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the MiddleEast to start University and worked in a few orphanages for childrenwith special needs and then an adult program that was just starting inTiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr.

Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement ofHuman Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similarneeds. At the end of my college career I became an emergency fosterparent for infants with special needs... fostering several newborns

with DS and/or high medical needs. So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after collegeI entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoptionagency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then a

birth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birthparent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a yearago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued towork with that agency to help them become accredited for international

adoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunitiesfor families of children with DS in countries that considered thesekids " unadoptable. " In my years with the agency we placed manychildren with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting to

offer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseledmany many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, havehope, and parent if they can. This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is where

we are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostlybecause our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancyand I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our firstchild, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!)

And that's it for now... I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it offlist, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy(Sara@...) or you can email me at that same place.

Wishing you all the best....Sara Greenberg-Hassan -- Love life and be gentle,

Sara what a AWESOME update. I am thrilled for you and Aref and for the new bundle of joy! I can't wait to see update pics soon! Hugs and keep in touch!!! Can you believe is now 15yr old time flies. Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "Sara" Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 03:04:10 -0000To: <Multiples-DS >Subject: Hi Again! Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending this update, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I found on facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even begin to tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautiful children. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to see how everyone is doing. For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was 14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc ... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones with Multiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well it was doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step away and let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. I don't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hope always will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very lucky families! As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl with DS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate for people with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently ran a Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YM Prom Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to the prom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend our prom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touch and he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the Middle East to start University and worked in a few orphanages for children with special needs and then an adult program that was just starting in Tiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr. Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement of Human Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similar needs. At the end of my college career I became an emergency foster parent for infants with special needs... fostering several newborns with DS and/or high medical needs. So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after college I entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoption agency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then a birth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birth parent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a year ago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued to work with that agency to help them become accredited for international adoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunities for families of children with DS in countries that considered these kids " unadoptable. " In my years with the agency we placed many children with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting to offer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseled many many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, have hope, and parent if they can. This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is where we are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostly because our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancy and I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our first child, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!) And that's it for now... I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it off list, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy (Saragmail) or you can email me at that same place. Wishing you all the best.... Sara Greenberg-Hassan

Sara,

I don't know you but after reading your post it seems you are someone to

know, thanks for all your advocacy and work on behalf of those less fortunate.

I can tell you this group you started for all of us is a life saver, I too was sure

I was alone on my crazy journey with triplets and ds until I found this bunch.

Congrats on all your accomplishments, marriage and impeding BABY!!

Irene

Jake 12

Zachary ds, , 10

Hi Again!

Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending thisupdate, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I foundon facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even beginto tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautifulchildren. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to seehow everyone is doing.For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones withMultiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well itwas doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step awayand let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. Idon't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hopealways will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very luckyfamilies!As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl withDS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate forpeople with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently rana Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YMProm Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to theprom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend ourprom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touchand he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the MiddleEast to start University and worked in a few orphanages for childrenwith special needs and then an adult program that was just starting inTiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr.Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement ofHuman Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similarneeds. At the end of my college career I became an emergency fosterparent for infants with special needs... fostering several newbornswith DS and/or high medical needs. So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after collegeI entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoptionagency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then abirth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birthparent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a yearago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued towork with that agency to help them become accredited for internationaladoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunitiesfor families of children with DS in countries that considered thesekids "unadoptable." In my years with the agency we placed manychildren with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting tooffer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseledmany many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, havehope, and parent if they can. This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is wherewe are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostlybecause our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancyand I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our firstchild, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!)And that's it for now... I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it offlist, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy(Saragmail) or you can email me at that same place. Wishing you all the best....Sara Greenberg-Hassan

Wow, all I can say to you Sara is.... THANK YOU!!!I just recently found this board, within the past few months and I have felt such a relief seeing that other families are in the same boat as us. I have yet to meet another family face to face but the internet brings us together in a way we would not have had otherwise. I have 3 year old identical twin boys with Down Syndrome and PDD Autism. Its been interesting to say the least but they have done more for our family than I could have ever imagined.Included in that, is a charity calendar which lead us to being on a magazine cover for Pittsburgh Parent and now we have just been asked to be the featured family for a charity book for Childrens Hospital in Pittsburgh on a chapter about Down Syndrome.I appreciate what you've done for our children and I'm happy to learn about you and where you are in life now. Congratulations on your new arrival and I'd love to hear an update on you occasionally as well. I may even be very interested in emailing you about domestic vs. international adoption. We're considering it very seriously right now.Happy Holidays!Mom to Tristin (11), Camille (7), Elijah (5), Caleb and Isaac (3) twins with Ds

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart . . . pursue those." -unknownTo: Multiples-DS From: Sara@...Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:04:10 +0000Subject: Hi Again!

Wow... where do I start? I feel a bit strange about sending this

update, but it comes at the prodding of Judi and who I found

on facebook. (And who can say no to these women?) I can't even begin

to tell you how often I think about all of you guys and your beautiful

children. I have often tried to find a few of you on facebook to see

how everyone is doing.

For those of you who I don't know... I started this group when I was

14 after meeting several of you at NDSS Conferences, Buddy Walks, etc

.... each person thinking/believing that they were the only ones with

Multiples w/ DS. A few years ago I was really happy to see how well it

was doing and felt I (as a non-parent of Multiples) should step away

and let the group be run and used by parents of Multiples only. I

don't plan to go back on that plan... This group still is and I hope

always will be for families like yours. In my opinion, very lucky

families!

As some of you might remember... I lost a very special baby girl with

DS who I was nanny for when I was 13, who inspired me to advocate for

people with DS. Throughout high school I started and independently ran

a Buddy Walk, a Best Buddy Program, and among other things I was in YM

Prom Magazine for taking my good friend, Darren, as my date to the

prom. (Darren happens to have DS and was not allowed to attend our

prom due to some nasty politics. BTW, Darren and I are still in touch

and he is doing awesome these days as well!) I then went to the Middle

East to start University and worked in a few orphanages for children

with special needs and then an adult program that was just starting in

Tiveria, Israel for adults with special needs. I also interned at Dr.

Feuerstein's center in Jerusalem - the Center for the Advancement of

Human Potential ... a really cool school for kids with DS and similar

needs. At the end of my college career I became an emergency foster

parent for infants with special needs... fostering several newborns

with DS and/or high medical needs.

So here is my update for those who remember me. Hmmm... after college

I entered the social work field and worked for a non-profit adoption

agency in NY. Working first as their special needs caseworker, then a

birth parent worker, and then a supervisor of adoptive and birth

parent services. I married Aref a little over two years ago and a year

ago his job as a professor took us to Pittsburgh, PA. I continued to

work with that agency to help them become accredited for international

adoption.. with a specific interest in providing more opportunities

for families of children with DS in countries that considered these

kids "unadoptable." In my years with the agency we placed many

children with DS domestically... and now this agency is starting to

offer services to children with DS internationally. We also counseled

many many more families with new diagnoses of DS to learn more, have

hope, and parent if they can.

This past July my husband's job took us to Minnesota, which is where

we are now. The Midwest has taken some time for me to adjust, mostly

because our move came in the end of my first trimester of pregnancy

and I was feeling very ill for a long time. We are expecting our first

child, a son, February 26th (or somewhere around there!). (Yes, just one!)

And that's it for now...

I'd love to connect with you guys again. If you want to do it off

list, feel free to find me on facebook using this email addy

(Saragmail) or you can email me at that same place.

Wishing you all the best....

Sara Greenberg-Hassan

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account.

Sara, though I do not know you, I want to thank you for creating this

group and for advocating for children with special needs. I am always

amazed and deeply touched to learn of others advocacy journies. God

bless you real good! Congrats on the upcoming birth of your little one.

Christie, Indiana mom to (6) and the twins (17 months old now)

ph (T21) and .

Sara,

I remember you and want to say " thank you " for starting this list! I

joined when my boys were about one, and they're now 6 1/2 and in the

first grade. These families have been a wonderful source of support

and information, and I don't know what I'd do without them!

You have done some amazing things in your life, and you're about to

embark on another amazing journey in becoming a mother. Please keep us

posted!

Have a wonderful holiday season,

--mom to Luke (DS) and Jake