RemedySpot.com

swimming pool.....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I think that if you talk to all of your children about safety around the pool and allow for all the precautions you have mentioned you should go for it. Swimming is a wonderful therapeutic exercise! Have you enrolled any of your girls in swimming lessons? I think that would be a great thing, too. Go for it! Just make sure you really emphasize safety and rules! Meghan- momma to Casey and Connor 2 year old ids with ds http://caseynconnor12409.blogspot.com/2010/02/2.htmlGod doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family.... From:

"SETREB@..." To: MULTIPLES-DSYAHOOGROUPS (DOT) COM Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:14 PM Subject: swimming pool.....

Hi All,

I was hoping a few of you could give me some insight/stories/advice/opinions on in-ground swimming pools.

Here's my dilemma: built a home with every intention of putting an in-ground swimming pool in last summer. We moved in in July and got 3 estimates BUT I kept having this little voice inside me say "don't do it". My girls are 14, 10 and 10. With one 10 year old having Down syndrome. I held off finishing our yard through the winter and now that the spring is quickly approaching it's now or never. I always go with my gut feelings and my instincts but I really do want a pool. Thankfully, my girls are fine with it either way. I work part time and my husband works full time. I just keep thinking what if I'm putting a load of laundry on and I don't hear a pool alarm go off or what if a sitter is here with my girls and something happens. I know about all the locks, gates and the infamous elephant cover.

I wanted to reach out to all of you for any insight/help----thank you so much.....

Sherrill

mom to Jillian age 14, and age 10

Guest guest

We do not have a pool, but I grew up with a pool in our yard from the time I was 8 or 9.  Davey has been around his grandparents pol since he was little.  We have not had problems with him around it.  But I suppose when he was little I might have been nervous being around one full time with him.  I know right now he is always asking for a pool in our yard and if we could afford it, I would do it in a heart beat.

Hard call.

Hi All,

I was hoping a few of you could give me some insight/stories/advice/opinions on in-ground swimming pools.

Here's my dilemma:  built a home with every intention of putting an in-ground swimming pool in last summer.  We moved in in July and got 3 estimates BUT I kept having this little voice inside me say " don't do it " .  My girls are 14, 10 and 10.  With one 10 year old having Down syndrome.  I held off finishing our yard through the winter and now that the spring is quickly approaching it's now or never.  I always go with my gut feelings and my instincts but I really do want a pool.  Thankfully, my girls are fine with it either way.  I work part time and my husband works full time.  I just keep thinking what if I'm putting a load of laundry on and I don't hear a pool alarm go off or what if a sitter is here with my girls and something happens.  I know about all the locks, gates and the infamous elephant cover. 

I wanted to reach out to all of you for any insight/help----thank you so much.....

Sherrill

-- Love life and be gentle,

Guest guest

We just left a home with a pool... We have four kiddos- one of my 8 yr old twins has ds and while we had a super safe fence enclosing the pool- away from the house etc....the stress was too big. I always worried she would somehow get in the pool area and reach for a you or something like that. It's a touch call! Good luck! Sent from my iPhone

We do not have a pool, but I grew up with a pool in our yard from the time I was 8 or 9. Davey has been around his grandparents pol since he was little. We have not had problems with him around it. But I suppose when he was little I might have been nervous being around one full time with him. I know right now he is always asking for a pool in our yard and if we could afford it, I would do it in a heart beat.

Hard call.

Hi All,

Here's my dilemma: built a home with every intention of putting an in-ground swimming pool in last summer. We moved in in July and got 3 estimates BUT I kept having this little voice inside me say "don't do it". My girls are 14, 10 and 10. With one 10 year old having Down syndrome. I held off finishing our yard through the winter and now that the spring is quickly approaching it's now or never. I always go with my gut feelings and my instincts but I really do want a pool. Thankfully, my girls are fine with it either way. I work part time and my husband works full time. I just keep thinking what if I'm putting a load of laundry on and I don't hear a pool alarm go off or what if a sitter is here with my girls and something happens. I know about all the locks, gates and the infamous elephant cover.

Sherrill

Guest guest

We have an in-ground pool with a fence (that our 6 yr old Sam can climb).....my boys love the pool and do respect it.  While Sam was younger, he was more fearless and we were more nervous, but since living here and having the pool, he seems to  be more cautious around it.  We do swim lessons and talk about how an adult has to be with them.  We have alarms on the house doors so we know if someone is going in/out.  Having the pool will give them all more practice at swimming.....after last summer, my boys got so much better than taking swim lessons during winter.  I will tell you that if we moved and didn't have a pool, we'd get an above ground though, not just for safety reasons, because they'll find a way to get in if they want, but for maintenance and options of getting rid of it quicker (it's a lot of work).  If you know you'll always want a poo, than Go for it!  OH, go salt-generator is you do!  so much easier and better water for you! :)

Have fun!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Hi All,

Here's my dilemma:  built a home with every intention of putting an in-ground swimming pool in last summer.  We moved in in July and got 3 estimates BUT I kept having this little voice inside me say " don't do it " .  My girls are 14, 10 and 10.  With one 10 year old having Down syndrome.  I held off finishing our yard through the winter and now that the spring is quickly approaching it's now or never.  I always go with my gut feelings and my instincts but I really do want a pool.  Thankfully, my girls are fine with it either way.  I work part time and my husband works full time.  I just keep thinking what if I'm putting a load of laundry on and I don't hear a pool alarm go off or what if a sitter is here with my girls and something happens.  I know about all the locks, gates and the infamous elephant cover. 

Sherrill

Guest guest

My experience has been that DS is not a big obstacle to learning to swim. Perhaps it takes a while longer but the child eventually does swim. Our boys were trained at the Y & now play together in the pool so aggressively that some observers initially get very nervous before they see that the twins can take it from each other.

I'd think the more serious concern would be whether the pool attracts uninvited guests & that includes critters as well has humans. One of our pool-owning friends had to deal with a raccoon family that liked midnight swims.

Al Veerhoff, Kensington, MD, father of identicals and Will, now 21, who have DS.

swimming pool.....

Hi All,

Sherrill

Guest guest

Hi Sherrill,

We do not have a pool so my experience is different. When our triplets were around 7 we moved and now live across from a lake, we have a dock and a boat is usually there. I was initially worried about Zack ds but we did a lot of talking about it and awareness for everyone. What we found was the positives so out way the negatives and it has been a great PT activity for Zack. He goes tubing and rafting and is stronger today for all the water sports the lake affords us, he is a good fisherman and is currently studying for his Safe Boaters license (probably won’t happen) but his brothers and sister have their and he wants what they want

Irene

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:14 PM

To: MULTIPLES-DSYAHOOGROUPS (DOT) COM

Subject: swimming pool.....

Hi All,

Sherrill

Guest guest

My girls are 9,9,8,7 with everyone having DS except the 8 yr old. When we moved into our new home we talked about putting in a inground pool but decided to go with a larger above ground pool. WE LOVE IT! HAVE HAD IT 3 SUMMERS NOW. The girls DONT MESS with it at all when we are not in it. during the winter we removed the ladder and put it up. There is no cover on it either. The pool has been great for their muscle tone and they love getting in and staying for hours during the summer months. Every child is different so you really need to decide how your child reacts to things tht are a "NO NO" without parents.Good luck on your decision...putting our above ground pool in was the best decision we ever made!Ritawww.ritaandrews.bodybyvi.comCome join me on the 90-day challenge. Get your product totally FREE just for telling your friends!Its the all natural shake that taste like cake! You will love it or your money back no questions asked....so what do you have to loose? Reply and I will be happy to make you a shake or if your not local I will mail you one!To: Multiples-DS From: igercak@...Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:24:50 -0400Subject: Re: swimming pool.....

Hi Sherrill,

We do not have a pool so my experience is different. When our triplets were around 7 we moved and now live across from a lake, we have a dock and a boat is usually there. I was initially worried about Zack ds but we did a lot of talking about it and awareness for everyone. What we found was the positives so out way the negatives and it has been a great PT activity for Zack. He goes tubing and rafting and is stronger today for all the water sports the lake affords us, he is a good fisherman and is currently studying for his Safe Boaters license (probably won’t happen) but his brothers and sister have their and he wants what they want

Irene

Hi All,

Sherrill

Guest guest

Hi there,We have an in ground pool and 5 kids with Ds as well as one with quad CP and a 2 yr old... We've lived here for 4 years, however I grew up in this house from the time I was 7.  We have had one instance where our then-2 yr old son (typical) walked right down the steps in to the pool while we were navigating our daughter and a swimsuit and her g-tube.  We didn't hear him get in, but he was FINE.  

When we moved in the first thing we did was add a Baby Guard fence.  After being here about 2 years as our kids w/ disabilities got more mobile and we were about to adopt a little guy that appeared to me a Houdini, we added an alarm system to all of the doors that lead directly to the pool area.  It was an inexpensive home-alarm system made by x10.com  We have a home alarm, but with the traffic we have in and out of the front of the house, we didn't want to 'arm' the entire house just to protect the pool area.  There's a screen enclosure around the pool, so from the outside of the enclosure you can't get to the pool either (high handles so kids cannot reach and they lock). 

The X10 system has remote controls, and we hang one high next to the door that goes out to the pool (we also have 14 other windows and sliding glass doors that open to the pool... and that is our playroom!).  If we need to go out, we easily disarm the alarm, but it still beeps to notify us the door opened.  If the door is opened without disarming an alarm sounds, and you can add multiple 'horns' throughout the house, wirelessly as well.

For us that has been a HUGE peace of mind!  We were concerned about any ONE sliding door being left unlocked and having someone have direct access to the pool area (still there's a fence, but a concern nonetheless).  

We haven't ever had any problems with the kids and the pool, and are very glad to have it for PT type exercise all summer and fall! Blessings,Meredith

Hi Sherrill,

We do not have a pool so my experience is different.  When our triplets were around 7 we moved and now live across from a lake, we have a dock and a boat is usually there.  I was initially worried about Zack ds but we did a lot of talking about it and awareness for everyone.  What we found was the positives so out way the negatives and it has been a great PT activity for Zack.  He goes tubing and rafting and is stronger today for all the water sports the lake affords us, he is a good fisherman and is currently studying for his Safe Boaters license (probably won’t happen) but his brothers and sister have their and he wants what they want

Irene

Hi All,

Sherrill

-- Meredith Cornish

www.mcornish.org Married to my high school sweetheart Cornish

Mom toAleksa (9, Ds) Emma (8, Ds)Kristopher (7)Wesley (6, CP)

na (5, Ds) (5, Ds)Micah (5, Ds)Lynae (2)

Guest guest

Totally understand your apprehension. We have an above ground, hard-walled, 15' round/4' deep pool that we put up and take down every summer right behind our 7' slider/back door. My boys -- 61/2 year old identical twins with DS -- are totally capable of climbing over the pool wall or even putting the ladder into the pool themselves... but they have never even attempted it... despite LOVING the water and pool. We've discussed safety and rules at length and they've never attempted to get in the pool without us. We signed them up for free swim lessons at our local community pool and they've done very well there. They can swim underwater, and are learning to support their own weight to keep their head above water level via the doggy paddle and breast stroke... at 6. I think we'll wait another year to put in the semi-inground pool

we've always talked about. We considered a fully in-ground pool but feel the short wall is a deterrent to "accidentally" slipping and ending up in the pool for our kids, pets and their friends. (We also get taxed heavily for built-in but not for semi-inground.) We'll have a deck and locked gate and enforce the rules. Still, we're not doing it until they're closer to 9 or 10 to give them more time and experience navigating in the water. Best Regards, Maggiewww.walkonthehappyside.wordpress.com To:

Multiples-DS Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:12 PM Subject: Re: swimming pool.....

Hi there,We have an in ground pool and 5 kids with Ds as well as one with quad CP and a 2 yr old... We've lived here for 4 years, however I grew up in this house from the time I was 7. We have had one instance where our then-2 yr old son (typical) walked right down the steps in to the pool while we were navigating our daughter and a swimsuit and her g-tube. We didn't hear him get in, but he was FINE.

When we moved in the first thing we did was add a Baby Guard fence. After being here about 2 years as our kids w/ disabilities got more mobile and we were about to adopt a little guy that appeared to me a Houdini, we added an alarm system to all of the doors that lead directly to the pool area. It was an inexpensive home-alarm system made by x10.com We have a home alarm, but with the traffic we have in and out of the front of the house, we didn't want to 'arm' the entire house just to protect the pool area. There's a screen enclosure around the pool, so from the outside of the enclosure you can't get to the pool either (high handles so kids cannot reach and they lock).

The X10 system has remote controls, and we hang one high next to the door that goes out to the pool (we also have 14 other windows and sliding glass doors that open to the pool... and that is our playroom!). If we need to go out, we easily disarm the alarm, but it still beeps to notify us the door opened. If the door is opened without disarming an alarm sounds, and you can add multiple 'horns' throughout the house, wirelessly as well.

For us that has been a HUGE peace of mind! We were concerned about any ONE sliding door being left unlocked and having someone have direct access to the pool area (still there's a fence, but a concern nonetheless).

We haven't ever had any problems with the kids and the pool, and are very glad to have it for PT type exercise all summer and fall! Blessings,Meredith

Hi Sherrill,

Irene

Hi All,

Sherrill

-- Meredith Cornish

www.mcornish.org Married to my high school sweetheart Cornish

Mom toAleksa (9, Ds) Emma (8, Ds)Kristopher (7)Wesley (6, CP)

na (5, Ds) (5, Ds)Micah (5, Ds)Lynae (2)

Guest guest

Same here. We are looking at moving into a bigger house and so many of the houses in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area have lovely pools. We have decided to not even consider a house if it has a pool.

I love swimming and the fabulous exercise for the whole family and we do have a membership at a water park 3 minutes from our current house. We spend hours in the water and they have a blast. Plus, the girls are in swimming lessons and love it.

I just prefer to not have a pool at home.

I am completely skewed by all the near-drowning patients I worked with in a trauma ED. Both pediatric and adult. The neuro damage in near-drowning patients can be so devastating.

A conversation with a former pedi ICU nurse from Children's Medical Center in Dallas finally confirmed my decision to not look at homes with pools. She had to leave the pedi ICU because she saw so many children with just horrible hypoxic injuries from near-drownings and kept invisioning her children. The majority were from private pools.

I wish you luck in your decision process! Your gut and your own family situation will be your best guide. My girls are super adventure girls and i can see them figuring our whatever obstacle i would place in their path to the pool. Better for our family to have an extra set of eyes in the form of lifeguards, along with being in the water with them.

- Koz-Riddle

Mom to Taryn,9,Cate,7(ds) and Ella,6 (ds)

To: "Multiples-DS " <Multiples-DS >Sent: Wed, March 14, 2012 8:27:11 AMSubject: swimming pool.....

We just left a home with a pool... We have four kiddos- one of my 8 yr old twins has ds and while we had a super safe fence enclosing the pool- away from the house etc....the stress was too big. I always worried she would somehow get in the pool area and reach for a you or something like that. It's a touch call! Good luck! Sent from my iPhone

We do not have a pool, but I grew up with a pool in our yard from the time I was 8 or 9. Davey has been around his grandparents pol since he was little. We have not had problems with him around it. But I suppose when he was little I might have been nervous being around one full time with him. I know right now he is always asking for a pool in our yard and if we could afford it, I would do it in a heart beat.

Hard call.

Hi All,

Sherrill