RemedySpot.com

Re: summer school or not?...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I’ll be interested to hear these responses!  My son is only 4 and I did do the summer school preschool for him last year, sort of…  it is a seven week program, only 3 days per week.  We are away a lot over the summer so he ended up doing four of the weeks.  I’m honestly not sure he gained anything by it.  Speech/communication is our biggest concern for him and he is in an integrated classroom during the year.  In the summer, most of the kids in the program are also non-verbal, so he is not gaining anything there.  He only received actual Speech Therapy for ½ hour/week.  We’re on the fence this year about whether to even sign him up…  I do feel that our kids can get just as much out of being with their siblings during the summer, going to the beach/pool, playing outside, etc.  I know he gets enough PT and OT at the beach, running and digging in the sand!  We have started private ST this year once/week and I’m thinking I might keep that up during the summer but not send him to the school program. I do think as they get older the summer school program is probably more beneficial in terms of not having the kids regress, but I guess we’ll cross that bridge in a few years.  I’m looking forward to what others have experienced with this! Thanks,EileenMom to Owen (almost 10), Maeve (8 this week), Colin (4/Ds) and (4)

Guest guest

LOVE sending Davey to ESY.  It is relaxed, fun educational and keeps the knowledge in his head better over the summer break.Also a chance to interact with different teachers and students.  

Hello there!We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school).  I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year.  Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier.  Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different.  I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors!  His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately.  Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able to take them in for therapies?  I'm also afraid that the district will say " oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year "  I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.

Thank you!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

-- Love life and be gentle,

Guest guest

Thanks !  you're boys are older, right?  Did you send Davey in the earlier years and did you ever have problems with picking up behaviors...I hear so many who have/had this problem.  I supposed I could give a try and pull him out if it doesn't work.

Sherry

LOVE sending Davey to ESY.  It is relaxed, fun educational and keeps the knowledge in his head better over the summer break.Also a chance to interact with different teachers and students.  

Hello there!We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school).  I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year.  Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier.  Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different.  I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors!  His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately.  Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able to take them in for therapies?  I'm also afraid that the district will say " oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year "  I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.

Guest guest

Boys are TWELVE now. Wow. NAND yes, depending on the other students, he can pick up bad behaviors. If we notice, I am in the teachers face faster than you can say boo. And you can always pull him out if it gets bad. I find that a lot of the kids don't take advantage of ESY and Davey is exposed to a different group of kids. He had had the teacher the last two years that will be having him the majority time in middle school. Last summer, we bumped him to her class and he was with older kids. Great program. But overall ESY is such a great asset for Davey's education. Love life and be gentle,

Thanks ! you're boys are older, right? Did you send Davey in the earlier years and did you ever have problems with picking up behaviors...I hear so many who have/had this problem. I supposed I could give a try and pull him out if it doesn't work.

Sherry

LOVE sending Davey to ESY. It is relaxed, fun educational and keeps the knowledge in his head better over the summer break.Also a chance to interact with different teachers and students.

Hello there!We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school). I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year. Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier. Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different. I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors! His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately. Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able to take them in for therapies? I'm also afraid that the district will say "oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year" I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.

Thank you!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Guest guest

Sherry,

You said,

I'm also afraid that the district will say "oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year"

What if, as a starting point in negotiations, you ask for full inclusion during the summer? Of course, the school may not have this, or it may not be the best environment. After exploring this, then you can determine that the self-contained approach is the best available solution during the summer. It would not be the best available solution during the regular school year. This process would document why self-contained is acceptable suring summer, but not acceptable during the year.

My kids are at a different level, but we have always participated in summer school, despite having different teachers, schools, classrooms, classmates, etc. While these things may vary, what doesn't change is the basic structure of getting ready for school (and all that entails), being in a classroom, with a teacher and behaving accordingly, and so on. For us, the social interaction in the structured environment is important.

You can still work on his goals with him at home during off hours or off weeks in focus areas of your choosing.

Mike Grossman

Sam and , 15

To: multiples-ds <Multiples-DS > Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2012 2:52 PMSubject: summer school or not?...

Hello there!

We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school). I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year. Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier. Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different. I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors! His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately. Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able to take them in for therapies? I'm also

afraid that the district will say "oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year" I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.

Thank you!

Sherry,

Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Guest guest

Interesting you should ask that. Last year, my boys were recommended for Extended School Year (ESY - Summer School). They were in a split schedule during the year and had picked up some undesirable behaviors from the other children in their contained class. I was concerned about a 100% contained class w/o inclusive opportunities but they assured me that they would be in the highest functioning class, mix with the gen ed recreation kids for playground and sprinkler, and would maintain ABA-DTT training at their level. I finally agreed. I brought them to class the first day, same kids that they picked up the negative behaviors from... PLUS a few more older, behaviorally-challenged children (3-year spread in ESY). I inquired and discovered the teacher had never taught special ed but was an aide in a contained class last year (that

was the extent of her experience). Day 2 I brought them back again, despite their urgings to "PLEASE STAY HOME MOMMY." I asked the teacher if she had their ABA-DTT books, she did not. I asked what curriculum she was doing with them if she did not have their books and she said, "the standard kindergarten curriculum." I asked the schedule for inclusive playground and sprinkler and she said, "we can't mix these kids in with the rec kids. Talk to the summer program administrator." So, on Day 3, I spoke with the administrator and she said, "there is absolutely no means or legal way to mix children from the ESY contained class with the Summer Rec program participants." On Day 4, I purchased an Apple iPad, loaded it with educational programs that matched the boys ABA-DTT programs and performance level and pulled them out of ESY. I taught them myself, working with them for at least 30 minutes almost every day, sometimes longer and sometimes more than

twice a day. I was inconsistent and did not log their progress or the work I was doing with them. It was somewhat willy nilly but I focused on what I thought they needed and what would hold their attention relative to the way I know they learn based on the research and methodology outlined by Dr. Kathleen Feeley, an expert and researcher in educating children with DS. In September, at our first team meeting, the special ed teacher insinuated that the boys had regressed on colors, shapes numbers etc. I pulled out the iPad and the boys came running, they turned it on, opened the programs and took turns getting every single shape and color correct!!!!! The ST and OT said, "we've got to get one of those!" and the Principal smiled and acknowledged that, clearly, the boys had not regressed and DID know their colors, shapes etc. That was the end of the insinuation that they regressed. (The down side of this, I'm told, is that they won't offer ESY if you show

that there was no regression b/c you worked with them. In our district, I don't think this is true if there are still academic delays.)Note; At last year's final IEP meeting, the special ed teacher said "the boys just didn't get it." She admitted she was only able to teach them 3-4 letters the entire year. I told the team and CSE very clearly that I would NEVER EVER accept a contained class placement EVER again. They agreed to assign the boys to a gen ed class. Over the summer I wrote to the district's new Asst. Superintendent of Special Education, told her the school had failed my boys miserably and that they need to step up and hire the expert in educating children with Down syndrome to train their staff. I gave them the Dr. Feeley's name and her scheduled trainings. (I had provided the teaching team her

research and methodology the entire year before but they refused to listen to me or implement the proven practices.) This year, the boys are ina general ed class with an aide and pull-out for ABA-DTT... repeating kindergarten. The Asst. Superintendent did bring in the expert for 2 training sessions (the boys special ed teacher from last year had side conversations throughout the entire first session and skipped the second session). Regardless, the rest of the teaching team -- Gen Ed teacher and therapists -- was present. They've implemented the methodology and the boys are now starting to read... NOT the typical kindergarten curriculum sight words but nouns and verbs and adjectives that have concrete visual representations (per the research). They're doing GREAT this year.I told their gen ed teacher in no uncertain terms, I will NOT bring my children to ESY.

Rather, I want them assigned to the kindergarten summer school reading program with an aide. The guided reading program is for children in kindergarten having trouble picking up the reading skills. I said that would be perfect for us!!! We'll see what happens at our final meeting this year.The purpose of ESY is to prevent regression. They're not actually TEACHING your child anything. Just reviewing. I say, skip the ESY and do it yourself. You could end up doing more damage than good in the ESY you describe. It's not a continuation of what he was doing. The education system devalues all the valuable teaching and experiences you offer your child. Try your best to be consistent. (I tried -- read: often failed -- to do it first thing in the morning before we started our day.) You'll do great. Best Regards, Maggiewww.walkonthehappyside.wordpress.com To: multiples-ds <Multiples-DS > Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:52 PM Subject: summer school or not?...

Hello there!We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school). I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year. Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier. Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different. I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors! His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately. Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able

to take them in for therapies? I'm also afraid that the district will say "oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year" I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.

Thank you!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Guest guest

very interesting responses so far.

my 2 cents:

We did esy during elementary most of the summers it was only 4 weeks 8 to 2 with bus pick up. We had no choice only self contained, what we found is it was always very few children some years there were 3 or 4 other students so he got a lot of one on one. He learned what ever was being reviewed some years it was topical like a summer of science and he would talk about the topic like liquid , solid, or gas etc.? He couldn’t care about what the setting was we are the ones that care about that so he enjoyed it and he gained more confidence as a student. Now that he is in middle school and he has so much to keep up with during the school year we believe he should be allowed to be a kid like his siblings. I totally agree he gets a ton of exercise or pt. keeping up with the rest of the family and neighbors and he gets a lot of role modeling. So we have no worries about regression we’ll pick his favorite author last summer it was “Wimpy kids†and we'll go to the library and he will have to try and squeeze in some reading each day or M-F. Some times I think we focus too much on our child’s disability and not that they are similar to their siblings, my other kids would HATE summer school as teenagers!

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Irene

Zack ds/adhd, , 13 and Jake 15

Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:49 PM

To: Multiples-DS

Subject: Re: summer school or not?...

I’ll be interested to hear these responses! My son is only 4 and I did do the summer school preschool for him last year, sort of… it is a seven week program, only 3 days per week. We are away a lot over the summer so he ended up doing four of the weeks. I’m honestly not sure he gained anything by it. Speech/communication is our biggest concern for him and he is in an integrated classroom during the year. In the summer, most of the kids in the program are also non-verbal, so he is not gaining anything there. He only received actual Speech Therapy for ½ hour/week. We’re on the fence this year about whether to even sign him up… I do feel that our kids can get just as much out of being with their siblings during the summer, going to the beach/pool, playing outside, etc. I know he gets enough PT and OT at the beach, running and digging in the sand! We have started private ST this year once/week and I’m thinking I might keep that up during the summer but not send him to the school program.

I do think as they get older the summer school program is probably more beneficial in terms of not having the kids regress, but I guess we’ll cross that bridge in a few years. I’m looking forward to what others have experienced with this!

Thanks,

Eileen

Mom to Owen (almost 10), Maeve (8 this week), Colin (4/Ds) and (4)

Guest guest

Thanks everyone for your input!  As it seems that ESY programs are very different throughout the country, I will first see what ALL our options are and then maybe try to see if one will work.  I have even been looking into Speech camps, but boy are those expensive!  Maggie, we will be getting the IPAD before summer! :)..Sam loves Starfall!  If he continues to do well with his potty training, then maybe just some day camps here and there with typical kids might be an option. We'll see.

More input welcome-keep it coming!  :)Sherry

Interesting you should ask that. Last year, my boys were recommended for Extended School Year (ESY - Summer School). They were in a split schedule during the year and had picked up some undesirable behaviors from the other children in their contained class. I was concerned about a 100% contained class w/o inclusive opportunities but they assured me that they would be in the highest functioning class, mix with the gen ed recreation kids for playground and sprinkler, and would maintain ABA-DTT training at their level. I finally agreed. I brought them to class the first day, same kids that they picked up the negative behaviors from... PLUS a few more older, behaviorally-challenged children (3-year spread in ESY). I inquired and discovered the teacher had never taught special ed but was an aide in a contained class last year (that

was the extent of her experience). Day 2 I brought them back again, despite their urgings to " PLEASE STAY HOME MOMMY. " I asked the teacher if she had their ABA-DTT books, she did not. I asked what curriculum she was doing with them if she did not have their books and she said, " the standard kindergarten curriculum. " I asked the schedule for inclusive playground and sprinkler and she said, " we can't mix these kids in with the rec kids. Talk to the summer program administrator. " So, on Day 3, I spoke with the administrator and she said, " there is absolutely no means or legal way to mix children from the ESY contained class with the Summer Rec program participants. "   On Day 4, I purchased an Apple iPad, loaded it with educational programs that matched the boys ABA-DTT programs and performance level and pulled them out of ESY. I taught them myself, working with them for at least 30 minutes almost every day, sometimes longer and sometimes more than

twice a day. I was inconsistent and did not log their progress or the work I was doing with them. It was somewhat willy nilly but I focused on what I thought they needed and what would hold their attention relative to the way I know they learn based on the research and methodology outlined by Dr. Kathleen Feeley, an expert and researcher in educating children with DS. In September, at our first team meeting, the special ed teacher insinuated that the boys had regressed on colors, shapes numbers etc. I pulled out the iPad and the boys came running, they turned it on, opened the programs and took turns getting every single shape and color correct!!!!! The ST and OT said, " we've got to get one of those! " and the Principal smiled and acknowledged that, clearly, the boys had not regressed and DID know their colors, shapes etc. That was the end of the insinuation that they regressed. (The down side of this, I'm told, is that they won't offer ESY if you show

that there was no regression b/c you worked with them. In our district, I don't think this is true if there are still academic delays.)Note; At last year's final IEP meeting, the special ed teacher said " the boys just didn't get it. " She admitted she was only able to teach them 3-4 letters the entire year. I told the team and CSE very clearly that I would NEVER EVER accept a contained class placement EVER again. They agreed to assign the boys to a gen ed class. Over the summer I wrote to the district's new Asst. Superintendent of Special Education, told her the school had failed my boys miserably and that they need to step up and hire the expert in educating children with Down syndrome to train their staff. I gave them the Dr. Feeley's name and her scheduled trainings. (I had provided the teaching team her

research and methodology the entire year before but they refused to listen to me or implement the proven practices.) This year, the boys are ina  general ed class with an aide and pull-out for ABA-DTT... repeating kindergarten. The Asst. Superintendent did bring in the expert for 2 training sessions (the boys special ed teacher from last year had side conversations throughout the entire first session and skipped the second session).  Regardless, the rest of the teaching team -- Gen Ed teacher and therapists -- was present. They've implemented the methodology and the boys are now starting to read... NOT the typical kindergarten curriculum sight words but nouns and verbs and adjectives that have concrete visual representations (per the research). They're doing GREAT this year.

I told their gen ed teacher in no uncertain terms, I will NOT bring my children to ESY.

Rather, I want them assigned to the kindergarten summer school reading program with an aide. The guided reading program is for children in kindergarten having trouble picking up the reading skills. I said that would be perfect for us!!! We'll see what happens at our final meeting this year.

The purpose of ESY is to prevent regression. They're not actually TEACHING your child anything. Just reviewing. I say, skip the ESY and do it yourself. You could end up doing more damage than good in the ESY you describe. It's not a continuation of what he was doing. The education system devalues all the valuable teaching and experiences you offer your child. Try your best to be consistent. (I tried -- read: often failed -- to do it first thing in the morning before we started our day.) You'll do great.

Best Regards, Maggiewww.walkonthehappyside.wordpress.com

To: multiples-ds <Multiples-DS > Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:52 PM

Subject: summer school or not?...

Hello there!We have IEP meeting coming up soon and it will be suggested Sam have extended school year (summer school).  I totally want him to stay on a consistent schedule and not regress; however, I have many concerns about putting him in special ed summer school after being fully included with typical kids this year.  Summer school will be at a different school with different teachers, therapists & kids....nothing consistent about any of it other than getting up to get there even earlier.  Then he'll go back to same everything as this year except kids in the classroom being different.  I'm so worried about regression by going to summer school and picking up undesirable behaviors!  His typical twin brother will be home and I thought I could work on his goals with him and then get him therapy at school or privately.  Has anyone ever home schooled their kiddos for summer and was able

to take them in for therapies?  I'm also afraid that the district will say " oh, you don't mind self-contained for summer, but you want him included during the year "  I have sources to ask here about all that, but I'm curious to know your experiences/input about this issue.