RemedySpot.com

Retention for one twin???....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Happy New Year Everyone!I need some input for my preparation in deciding if I should have my Sam with Ds repeat Kindergarten.  He is twin to his typical brother Ray and they just turned 6.  They attend our " home " school and are in different typical classrooms.  Ray is doing very well for his age and in some ways ahead of his peers.  Sam is behind in all areas, but doing well adjusting to his full inclusion classroom of 24 kids.  He has a one-on-one aid and gets pulled out for all his therapies.  So far this year we all have been concentrating on acceptable social behavior and he's doing well with that AND he's even making progress with his academics.  His teachers have asked me to consider what I want for him for next year as his IEP meeting will be in March.  They aren't sure the 1st grade classrooms at the school will meet his needs academically and foresee him being pulled out of class for resource/therapies much of the day.  Going into Kindergarten with Sam's delay, I was already prepared having him repeat kindy to give him an extra year for stature, maturity and academics.  I know he'll always be delayed and need his own IEP goals in place, but my gut keeps telling me that if he could have one more year to grow taller, become more expressive with his talking and mature to more of his age level, this will give him the confidence he needs to succeed in an inclusive 1st grade environment.  I have already received much feedback from others for and against retention for our kiddos, but need some input from anyone who has been in this " twin " situation when you leave one behind.  I figured better to do it now when Sam doesn't know grades.?  What were your experiences with repeating those early grades and do you regret any of it.  One person told me that there is no research that supports retention for kids with special needs.????  My guys love being at the same school (and so do I) and don't mind at all being in different classrooms.  I have subbed in the school district and I haven't found any other alternative program that I'm comfortable with to include self-contained classrooms.  The school they are attending has an autistic inclusive program that is usually meant for higher functioning kiddos and only has 1-2 kids in each class/grade.

Thoughts, input & experiences much appreciated!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6school pics attached! ;)

2 of 2 Photo(s)

SCAN0155.JPG