RemedySpot.com

Re: Sports & stuff....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here in San Diego we have an organization called the Miracle League. Both our boys are enrolled in the t-ball program. It is an amazing organization. http://www.miracleleagueofsandiego.org/ From: Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf Of The GiffordsSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 10:49 AMTo: multiples-dsSubject: Sports & stuff.... Hello All! For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)? We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and what they want to continue. Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible. HOWEVER, Sam is just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball. Did you separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities? I am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's not always possible. I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready for, but I also don't want him to feel left out. He's VERY indecisive these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants. Just curious as to what others did in the same situation. Any input appreciated!Thanks!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

****************************************************************************************************************************

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.(FR08-i203d)

****************************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Love this topic!We started the boys together in t-ball when the boys were 6. They were on the same team for spring and fall ball. The next season Davey stayed in t-ball and Will moved to minors. They also did karate together but both lost interest. When the boys were 8, it really became obvious that it was time to look at other options for Davey than the tradition sports. Yes, he could have stayed in little league, but..... No flames please. It seemed like Davey was just a mascot not a contributing member. We wanted more for him. We checked out challenger baseball but found Davey's skis were above most of the players. So we kept looking. And we found SPECIAL OLYMPICS. What a fantastic program. Here we found kids and adults with all kinds of disabilities and skill levels. We experience camaraderie and competition. We have met many amazing people. And it is a program I can see Davey enjoying for a lifetime. Both my husband and I are becoming more involved in the program. My hubby helped coach basketball. We both are helping with track this season. I can't say enough great things about this program. I do find it a little sad that there are not more younger kids ( under 15) involved in SO. When I ask parents why they don't involve their kids, they tell me that they haven't heard about SO for their child or they have them mainstreamed in the youth sports programs. Nothing wrong with the typical programs, but I love seeing all of the range of abilities of athletes that participate in SO. I have seen athletes bowling with score routinely in the the low to mid 200s. I have seen kids with the ability to swim faster and longer than most typical kids. I love this organization. Ok, off my soap box. Lol.

Hello All!For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)? We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and what they want to continue. Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible. HOWEVER, Sam is just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball. Did you separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities? I am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's not always possible. I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready for, but I also don't want him to feel left out. He's VERY indecisive these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants. Just curious as to what others did in the same situation.

Any input appreciated!Thanks!Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Guest guest

Thanks !  You are always so helpful and have great input!  I have heard great things about SO and hope to get Sam involved someday.....in Kentucky they were starting the younger kids program there, but we moved and it's not going on here yet.

So, was Davey ready for the organized sports at 6....was he all over like Sam is and you just dealt with it?  We're going to take a break from Karate to do just T-ball and then move on from there.  I just wanted to know if I was expecting too much from Sam at this age and setting him up for disappointment for not being to do these things....he gets frustrated when he sees he can't perform like the others.  Should I just keep him going and have him be in & out like he is doing and let him decide?

Thank you!Sherry

Love this topic!We started the boys together in t-ball when the boys were 6. They were on the same team for spring and fall ball. The next season Davey stayed in t-ball and Will moved to minors. They also did karate together but both lost interest. 

When the boys were 8, it really became obvious that it was time to look at other options for Davey than the tradition sports.  Yes, he could have stayed in little league, but.....  No flames please. It seemed like Davey was just a mascot not a contributing member. We wanted more for him. We checked out challenger baseball but found Davey's skis were above most of the players. So we kept looking. And we found SPECIAL OLYMPICS. What a fantastic program. Here we found kids and adults with all kinds of disabilities and skill levels. We experience camaraderie and competition. We have met many amazing people. And it is a program I can see Davey enjoying for a lifetime. 

Both my husband and I are becoming more involved in the program. My hubby helped coach basketball. We both are helping with track this season. I can't say enough great things about this program. 

I do find it a little sad that there are not more younger kids ( under 15) involved in SO. When I ask parents why they don't involve their kids, they tell me that they haven't heard about SO for their child or they have them 

mainstreamed in the youth sports programs. Nothing wrong with the typical programs, but I love seeing all of the range of abilities of athletes that participate in SO. I have seen athletes bowling with score routinely in the the low to mid 200s. I have seen kids with the ability to swim faster and longer than most typical kids. I love this organization. 

Ok, off my soap box. Lol. 

Hello All!For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)?  We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and what they want to continue.  Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible.  HOWEVER, Sam is just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball.  Did you separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities?  I am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's not always possible.  I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready for, but I also don't want him to feel left out.  He's VERY indecisive these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants.  Just curious as to what others did in the same situation.  

Guest guest

Lol. Sounds just like Davey. He loved going up to bat. The crowd cheered and he hammed it up. But when it came time for defense, he would sit down, play, have to go to the bathroom, etc. it was fun for him for a while. But at a point, he was just over it. The coaches were great, but it just wasn't fair to the rest of the team. And yes. We had similar issues in Karate. really felt slighted. Davey got all the attention and worked so much harder and got none of the recognition. It wasn't about my ego or me. It had to be what was right for both boys. With Special Olympics, he always feels challenged and know success. He loves it. I breathed a sigh of relief. It just felt right to have him there. Now, at 12, they each have their own interests and activities. It is so much fun. They are as different as night and day.

Thanks ! You are always so helpful and have great input! I have heard great things about SO and hope to get Sam involved someday.....in Kentucky they were starting the younger kids program there, but we moved and it's not going on here yet.

So, was Davey ready for the organized sports at 6....was he all over like Sam is and you just dealt with it? We're going to take a break from Karate to do just T-ball and then move on from there. I just wanted to know if I was expecting too much from Sam at this age and setting him up for disappointment for not being to do these things....he gets frustrated when he sees he can't perform like the others. Should I just keep him going and have him be in & out like he is doing and let him decide?

Thank you!Sherry

Love this topic!We started the boys together in t-ball when the boys were 6. They were on the same team for spring and fall ball. The next season Davey stayed in t-ball and Will moved to minors. They also did karate together but both lost interest.

When the boys were 8, it really became obvious that it was time to look at other options for Davey than the tradition sports. Yes, he could have stayed in little league, but..... No flames please. It seemed like Davey was just a mascot not a contributing member. We wanted more for him. We checked out challenger baseball but found Davey's skis were above most of the players. So we kept looking. And we found SPECIAL OLYMPICS. What a fantastic program. Here we found kids and adults with all kinds of disabilities and skill levels. We experience camaraderie and competition. We have met many amazing people. And it is a program I can see Davey enjoying for a lifetime.

Both my husband and I are becoming more involved in the program. My hubby helped coach basketball. We both are helping with track this season. I can't say enough great things about this program.

I do find it a little sad that there are not more younger kids ( under 15) involved in SO. When I ask parents why they don't involve their kids, they tell me that they haven't heard about SO for their child or they have them

mainstreamed in the youth sports programs. Nothing wrong with the typical programs, but I love seeing all of the range of abilities of athletes that participate in SO. I have seen athletes bowling with score routinely in the the low to mid 200s. I have seen kids with the ability to swim faster and longer than most typical kids. I love this organization.

Ok, off my soap box. Lol.

Hello All!For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)? We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and what they want to continue. Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible. HOWEVER, Sam is just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball. Did you separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities? I am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's not always possible. I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready for, but I also don't want him to feel left out. He's VERY indecisive these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants. Just curious as to what others did in the same situation.

Guest guest

Hi Beau,

I live in San Diego too. Thanks for the information

To: "Multiples-DS " <Multiples-DS > Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 11:09 AMSubject: RE: Sports & stuff....

Here in San Diego we have an organization called the Miracle League. Both our boys are enrolled in the t-ball program. It is an amazing organization. http://www.miracleleagueofsandiego.org/

From: Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf Of The GiffordsSent: Monday, April 23, 2012 10:49 AMTo: multiples-dsSubject: Sports & stuff....

Hello All!

For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)? We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and what they want to continue. Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible. HOWEVER, Sam is just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball. Did you separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities? I am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's not

always possible. I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready for, but I also don't want him to feel left out. He's VERY indecisive these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants. Just curious as to what others did in the same situation.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks!

Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

****************************************************************************************************************************This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter

addressed herein.(FR08-i203d)****************************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Hi Sherry,

In our town kids can start tee ball when they are 5. We started Jake that

summer but Luke just was not ready, so we waited on him a year. The next summer

(age 6) they both played on the same team and it was such a joy! Luke could hit

off the tee but was not very motivated to run the bases, so usually one of his

teammates' siblings would run with him. It was such a good experience and great

for all the other kids too. Luke did two years of tee ball and we did not

continue on with coach-pitch--there's no way he could have played that. I can

completely relate to the amount of work put on us to " facilitate " it all and

agree that it gets tiresome. We found that Luke really enjoys swim lessons so

he does that sometimes, and we are now in Special Olympics, which we just did

this weekend and Luke earned two gold medals in his events. He participates

with his friends and it's really alot of fun for everyone! I used to really

want the boys in the same activities, and it was easier to do that when they

were small, but now I am so fine with them doing whatever it is they enjoy,

whether that's together or separately.

--mom to Luke (DS) and Jake, age 10

>

> Hello All!

>

> For those who have one child with Ds and other without, at what age did you

> start your kiddos with Ds in sports or activities(T-Ball, Karate, etc.)?

> We are taking this year to find out what the boys like, don't like and

> what they want to continue. Since they just turned 6 in Dec., I already

> feel like they are behind in skills, so I didn't want to keep Ray from

> doing things and want to include Sam as much as possible. HOWEVER, Sam is

> just not ready and is all over the place for Karate and T-Ball. Did you

> separate them by putting your child with Ds in special needs activities? I

> am really trying to keep them together and I find most parents/instructors

> are tolerant and welcoming, but it's a LOT of work on me and I'm not able

> to enjoy/help my son without Ds much as I'm chasing and keeping Sam on task

> and focused. I'm trying to incorporate a little help from cousins, but it's

> not always possible. I don't want to push Sam to do things he's not ready

> for, but I also don't want him to feel left out. He's VERY indecisive

> these days with many things and I can't tell what he really wants. Just

> curious as to what others did in the same situation.

>

> Any input appreciated!

> Thanks!

> Sherry, Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

>