RemedySpot.com

Re: Weight loss in one twin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Have the boys been checked for celiac yet?

Hi!Casey and Connor have always been within a pound of each other and were intially GREAT eaters. They both got a stomach virus about a month after they turned 1 and they quit eating. We have worked hard to get them back to eating anything. At this point they both live on dry Cheerios, graham crackers, yogurt, egg, waffles and toast. That is it. No fruit. No veg. I try everyday but they refuse completely. They won't eat meat or cheese or pasta. We supplement with Carnation Instant breakfast 2 times a day for the extra calories and vitamins as per our pediatrician. Casey is holding steady with his weight. Connor is losing. He was 24.11 in October fully clothed. At a weight check last week partially clothed he was down to 22.11. When you lose 10% of your weight and you're that

small I would think it would be a concern. Everyone just keeps telling me it's normal. He'll eventually eat more. It's a phase. I am getting worried about him. Speech therapy has been working on muscle tone issues in his mouth and he is progressing wonderfully but he still won't eat more than a small amount of things. Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like I am going unheard here.

Meghan momma to C & C 2 yr IDS with DSp.s. We are expecting again and just found out yesterday we are having a little girl! I am so excited to buy PINK!

http://caseynconnor12409.blogspot.com/2010/02/2.html

God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family....

-- Love life and be gentle,

HI Meghan

You could take the yogurt and add fruit

and milk or even heavy cream plus possibly buy a protein powder for small

children. Mix it all together.

When my guys were small I would put apple sauce

on top of things they would not eat. They would eat it after but everything had

to have no chunks.

You can also make a fruit juice blend and

put carrots and other vegetables or buy the ready made stuff.

Kids do go through phases but if you are

worried about weight loss I would see about a protein powder or a paediatric

drink which they sell with the formula for older children who will are not getting

the vitamins they need because of the way the eat. There is a protein drink

which will put weight on.

Good luck and congratulations on expecting

a girl that is awesome

I am surrounded buy 3 boys all who have Down

syndrome two of them are my sons plus two male dogs and a male cat/

We just got the second dog today, he is a

3 month old German Sheppard bull mastiff cross lots of fun.

Take Care Caroline from mom to Neil and who are

identical twins and eighteen now

Multiples-DS

[mailto:Multiples-DS ]

On Behalf Of Meghan Wilkinson

Sent: January-21-12 4:50 AM

To: DS Group

Subject: Weight

loss in one twin

Hi!

Casey

and Connor have always been within a pound of each other and were intially

GREAT eaters. They both got a stomach virus about a month after they turned 1

and they quit eating. We have worked hard to get them back to eating anything.

At this point they both live on dry Cheerios, graham crackers, yogurt, egg,

waffles and toast. That is it. No fruit. No veg. I try everyday but they refuse

completely. They won't eat meat or cheese or pasta. We supplement with

Carnation Instant breakfast 2 times a day for the extra calories and vitamins

as per our pediatrician. Casey is holding steady with his weight. Connor is

losing. He was 24.11 in October fully clothed. At a weight check last week

partially clothed he was down to 22.11. When you lose 10% of your weight and

you're that small I would think it would be a concern. Everyone just keeps

telling me it's normal. He'll eventually eat more. It's a phase. I am getting

worried about him. Speech therapy has been working on muscle tone issues in his

mouth and he is progressing wonderfully but he still won't eat more than a

small amount of things. Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like I am

going unheard here.

Meghan

momma to C & C 2 yr IDS with DS

p.s.

We are expecting again and just found out yesterday we are having a little

girl! I am so excited to buy PINK!

God doesn't give children with special needs

to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people

and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a

special family, it MAKES a special family....

size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0"

align=center>

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1416 / Virus Database: 2109/4757 - Release Date: 01/21/12

Sounds like a typical picky toddler diet, but you are right to be concerned with the weight loss. I would be nervous too! The Celiac suggestion is a great one. My two daughters (no Ds) were very slow weight gainers and ended up both had food allergies. Even what they were eating wasn’t really getting absorbed. No celiac for either, though. My 4-year-old with Ds still has a picky toddler diet and does not eat dinner most nights (unless it’s pasta, but I don’t make him a separate dinner…he eats what I’ve made for the family or not at all). He survives largely on cereal, milk, yogurt, sandwiches…he will eat some fruit and a random carrot but otherwise not really veggies. Every day all of the kids drink a smoothie that I make with plain greek yogurt, a little vanilla yogurt, frozen strawberries/blueberries, a banana, and flax oil (for fat and Omega 3’s). At least I know they get fat, protein, and fruit in first thing in the morning. I also puree sweet potato and carrots and then make pancakes with a box mix and the puree and flax meal and bananas… (a Sneaky Chef recipe). It is quick and easy to make and has fruit and veggies in it. I believe kids need to be exposed to the taste of fruits and vegetables but I also think there is nothing wrong with sneaking it to them where you can. If you google Sneaky Chef free recipes there are some good ones. Did your pediatrician want another weight check? I’d push for that after another month or two, meanwhile trying to get some more healthy fats/higher calorie foods into him, and see what happens. Congrats on your baby girl news!EileenMom to Owen (9), Maeve (7), Colin (4/Ds) and (4) From: Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf Of VerissimoSent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:19 PMTo: Multiples-DS Subject: Re: Weight loss in one twin Have the boys been checked for celiac yet? Hi! Casey and Connor have always been within a pound of each other and were intially GREAT eaters. They both got a stomach virus about a month after they turned 1 and they quit eating. We have worked hard to get them back to eating anything. At this point they both live on dry Cheerios, graham crackers, yogurt, egg, waffles and toast. That is it. No fruit. No veg. I try everyday but they refuse completely. They won't eat meat or cheese or pasta. We supplement with Carnation Instant breakfast 2 times a day for the extra calories and vitamins as per our pediatrician. Casey is holding steady with his weight. Connor is losing. He was 24.11 in October fully clothed. At a weight check last week partially clothed he was down to 22.11. When you lose 10% of your weight and you're that small I would think it would be a concern. Everyone just keeps telling me it's normal. He'll eventually eat more. It's a phase. I am getting worried about him. Speech therapy has been working on muscle tone issues in his mouth and he is progressing wonderfully but he still won't eat more than a small amount of things. Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like I am going unheard here. Meghan momma to C & C 2 yr IDS with DS p.s. We are expecting again and just found out yesterday we are having a little girl! I am so excited to buy PINK! http://caseynconnor12409.blogspot.com/2010/02/2.htmlGod doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family.... -- Love life and be gentle,

Oh Meghan -- Sorry you're feeling unheard. We didn't have weight loss issues but there are lots of members here who did and used supplements -- besides Carnation Instant -- in drinks to add calories, and might have suggestions on how to get Connor back on track. My recollection is that in PA might have done so. I've BCC'd her to see if she can provide any ideas to help you. Best Regards, Maggiewww.walkonthehappyside.wordpress.com To: Multiples-DS Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:20 PM Subject: RE: Weight loss in one twin

HI Meghan You could take the yogurt and add fruit

and milk or even heavy cream plus possibly buy a protein powder for small

children. Mix it all together. When my guys were small I would put apple sauce

on top of things they would not eat. They would eat it after but everything had

to have no chunks. You can also make a fruit juice blend and

put carrots and other vegetables or buy the ready made stuff. Kids do go through phases but if you are

worried about weight loss I would see about a protein powder or a paediatric

drink which they sell with the formula for older children who will are not getting

the vitamins they need because of the way the eat. There is a protein drink

which will put weight on. Good luck and congratulations on expecting

a girl that is awesome I am surrounded buy 3 boys all who have Down

syndrome two of them are my sons plus two male dogs and a male cat/ We just got the second dog today, he is a

3 month old German Sheppard bull mastiff cross lots of fun. Take Care Caroline from mom to Neil and who are

identical twins and eighteen now

Multiples-DS [mailto: Multiples-DS ]

On Behalf Of Meghan Wilkinson

Sent: January-21-12 4:50 AM

To: DS Group

Subject: Weight

loss in one twin

Hi!

Casey

and Connor have always been within a pound of each other and were intially

GREAT eaters. They both got a stomach virus about a month after they turned 1

and they quit eating. We have worked hard to get them back to eating anything.

At this point they both live on dry Cheerios, graham crackers, yogurt, egg,

waffles and toast. That is it. No fruit. No veg. I try everyday but they refuse

completely. They won't eat meat or cheese or pasta. We supplement with

Carnation Instant breakfast 2 times a day for the extra calories and vitamins

as per our pediatrician. Casey is holding steady with his weight. Connor is

losing. He was 24.11 in October fully clothed. At a weight check last week

partially clothed he was down to 22.11. When you lose 10% of your weight and

you're that small I would think it would be a concern. Everyone just keeps

telling me it's normal. He'll eventually eat more. It's a phase. I am getting

worried about him. Speech therapy has been working on muscle tone issues in his

mouth and he is progressing wonderfully but he still won't eat more than a

small amount of things. Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like I am

going unheard here.

Meghan

momma to C & C 2 yr IDS with DS

p.s.

We are expecting again and just found out yesterday we are having a little

girl! I am so excited to buy PINK!

God doesn't give children with special needs

to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people

and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a

special family, it MAKES a special family....

size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0"

align=center>

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1416 / Virus Database: 2109/4757 - Release Date: 01/21/12

Hi Meghan!See if they will like grounded flax seed in their yogurt.  Good fat and our Sam loves it!  Just a thought.  I know Sam took forever from age 2-3 to gain weight and get bigger.  Since they won't eat any fruits and veggies, check into Juice Plus!  There's a rep I know who is a mom who has children with Ds that could help ya!  We all take it here and they have different variations.

Good Luck!Sherry,Mom to Ray & Sam(Ds), 6

Hi!Casey and Connor have always been within a pound of each other and were intially GREAT eaters. They both got a stomach virus about a month after they turned 1 and they quit eating. We have worked hard to get them back to eating anything. At this point they both live on dry Cheerios, graham crackers, yogurt, egg, waffles and toast. That is it. No fruit. No veg. I try everyday but they refuse completely. They won't eat meat or cheese or pasta. We supplement with Carnation Instant breakfast 2 times a day for the extra calories and vitamins as per our pediatrician. Casey is holding steady with his weight. Connor is losing. He was 24.11 in October fully clothed. At a weight check last week partially clothed he was down to 22.11. When you lose 10% of your weight and you're that

small I would think it would be a concern. Everyone just keeps telling me it's normal. He'll eventually eat more. It's a phase. I am getting worried about him. Speech therapy has been working on muscle tone issues in his mouth and he is progressing wonderfully but he still won't eat more than a small amount of things. Does anyone have experience with this? I feel like I am going unheard here.

Meghan momma to C & C 2 yr IDS with DSp.s. We are expecting again and just found out yesterday we are having a little girl! I am so excited to buy PINK!

God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with Down syndrome doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family....