RemedySpot.com

RE: Summer reading

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

We loved "No " and the other books written by this author.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for easy reading books for Adrienne this summer - has anyone had a series they really liked? Adrienne is finishing first grade going into second. Her reading level is below level to at level for first grade - thanks for your input!

Cyndy

Guest guest

Hi Cyndy, That is so awesome that she is reading so well! Can you share with us any tips on how she learned to read? My 4-year-old is very interested in books and we just started having him point to words as we’re reading or we point to the words, so that he understands what we’re doing when reading. But we are a long way away from knowing the alphabet and the sounds the letters make, etc…. Anyway, I have a 2nd-grader who struggles with reading and ended her 1st grade year reading slightly below grade level. She would read a lot of the “Step Into Reading” books at that time. She also would read a lot of Dr. Seuss (Cat and the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, etc…the more basic ones… I find the more advanced ones have a lot of made up words, which is very hard for new readers). For series, she likes/liked Nate the Great, Flat Stanley, Bad Kitty (more of a comic book-style…NOT fun to read aloud, in my opinon, but they were here favorite for a while!). I love the book “The Read Aloud Handbook” by Jim Trelease. This was given to me by a relative when my oldest was a baby and it’s a great book! I still go back to it all the time for age/grade appropriate book ideas when I am looking for new books. The book list are all good ones to read aloud with your child but are, of course, great choices for independent reading as well. They break down the books by picture books, short novels, and novels, and note if something is a series. EileenMom to Owen (10), Maeve (8), Colin (4/Ds) and (4) From: Multiples-DS [mailto:Multiples-DS ] On Behalf Of Cyndy BayerSent: Monday, May 28, 2012 11:08 PMTo: Multiples-DS Subject: Summer reading Hello everyone,I am looking for easy reading books for Adrienne this summer - has anyone had a series they really liked? Adrienne is finishing first grade going into second. Her reading level is below level to at level for first grade - thanks for your input!Cyndy

Guest guest

My loved the Biscuit books, but any silly book really.

I go to the library and they have an easy reader section. Check that out. Look for clear, nice pictures and aren’t too busy and silly things. That seems to capture their attention

and gets them to read more or over again.

Kay Tiernan, Mom to Jon, Liz, (DS), 13 yrs old, Arlington, VA

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy

all copies of the communication and any attachments.