RemedySpot.com

Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In an effort to find that article from the Neuropathy Association, I went to their website, and thought I would post some of the info from there. You need to join to access it, if you are interested. Joining doesn't cost anything, but they will send you stuff in the mail. Here is their webpage:

As you can see, most of us suffer from these symptoms as a result of our implants.

http://www.neuropathy.org/neuropathy.asp

Peripheral neuropathy causes weakness, numbness, and pain in the hands and feet. It results from injury to the peripheral nerves which carry signals between the brain or spinal cord and the muscles, skin, and the internal organs. There are many causes for neuropathy but everyone with neuropathy shares the same or similar manifestations. The neuropathy can often be arrested, and sometimes even cured, but much more work needs to be done to find better and more effective therapies.

What are your Symptoms?

Some neuropathies come on suddenly, others gradually over many years. The symptoms depend on the types of nerves affected and their location, but the problem usually starts with weakness, numbness or pain. Here are some of the telltale signs people describe.

Weakness in the arms or legs.Usually caused by damage to the motor nerves, leg symptoms include difficulty walking or running, a heaviness- it takes most of your strength just to climb the stairs - and stumbling or tiring easily. Muscle cramps are common. In the arms, difficulties with carrying a load of groceries, opening jars, turning door knobs, or combing your hair. Or you may be frustrated to find you keep dropping things you thought you had a good grip on. Numbness, tingling, and pain.The sensory nerves, when damaged, can cause many different symptoms. Early on, you may have spontaneous sensations, called paresthesias which include numbness, tingling, pins and needles, prickling, burning, cold, pinching, sharp, deep stabs, electric shocks, or buzzing. They are usually worse at night, often painful and severe. Unpleasant abnormal sensations brought on by touching or other stimuli are called dysesthesias. Or instead, you may have anesthesia, a lessening or absence of sensation, which can cause you to burn or cut yourself and not know it. Absence of position sense.When you have this symptom, you're probably not sure just where your feet are and may thus be uncoordinated and unsteady when you walk. Or you may realize that the way you walk has changed, but not be sure exactly how or why. Chances are you have widened your gait in an unconscious effort to keep your balance, or you tend to drag your feet. "Glove and Stocking Sensation"This is what doctors call the odd feeling you may have that you're wearing stockings or gloves or slippers when, in fact, your hands and feet are completely bare. Symptoms of Autonomic DamageDamage to the autonomic nerves can cause dizziness when standing up, constipation, diarrhea, sexual dysfunction, and thinning of the skin, with easy bruisability and poor healing.

This def describes allot of my symptoms esp. in the beginning when I had the implants. I will never forget how it just sort of crept up on me, starting with foot pain, tingling, numbness, stabbing pains and throbbing pains and then the weird brain stuff.

Thanks Patty for posting.

Love,

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:00 AM

Subject: Peripheral Neuropathy

In an effort to find that article from the Neuropathy Association, I went to their website, and thought I would post some of the info from there. You need to join to access it, if you are interested. Joining doesn't cost anything, but they will send you stuff in the mail. Here is their webpage:

As you can see, most of us suffer from these symptoms as a result of our implants.

http://www.neuropathy.org/neuropathy.asp

Peripheral neuropathy causes weakness, numbness, and pain in the hands and feet. It results from injury to the peripheral nerves which carry signals between the brain or spinal cord and the muscles, skin, and the internal organs. There are many causes for neuropathy but everyone with neuropathy shares the same or similar manifestations. The neuropathy can often be arrested, and sometimes even cured, but much more work needs to be done to find better and more effective therapies.

What are your Symptoms?

Some neuropathies come on suddenly, others gradually over many years. The symptoms depend on the types of nerves affected and their location, but the problem usually starts with weakness, numbness or pain. Here are some of the telltale signs people describe.

Weakness in the arms or legs.Usually caused by damage to the motor nerves, leg symptoms include difficulty walking or running, a heaviness- it takes most of your strength just to climb the stairs - and stumbling or tiring easily. Muscle cramps are common. In the arms, difficulties with carrying a load of groceries, opening jars, turning door knobs, or combing your hair. Or you may be frustrated to find you keep dropping things you thought you had a good grip on. Numbness, tingling, and pain.The sensory nerves, when damaged, can cause many different symptoms. Early on, you may have spontaneous sensations, called paresthesias which include numbness, tingling, pins and needles, prickling, burning, cold, pinching, sharp, deep stabs, electric shocks, or buzzing. They are usually worse at night, often painful and severe. Unpleasant abnormal sensations brought on by touching or other stimuli are called dysesthesias. Or instead, you may have anesthesia, a lessening or absence of sensation, which can cause you to burn or cut yourself and not know it. Absence of position sense.When you have this symptom, you're probably not sure just where your feet are and may thus be uncoordinated and unsteady when you walk. Or you may realize that the way you walk has changed, but not be sure exactly how or why. Chances are you have widened your gait in an unconscious effort to keep your balance, or you tend to drag your feet. "Glove and Stocking Sensation"This is what doctors call the odd feeling you may have that you're wearing stockings or gloves or slippers when, in fact, your hands and feet are completely bare. Symptoms of Autonomic DamageDamage to the autonomic nerves can cause dizziness when standing up, constipation, diarrhea, sexual dysfunction, and thinning of the skin, with easy bruisability and poor healing.

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

Some doctors flat out lie about the results . . .

especially if implants may be an issue. I'm not sure

why, but I suspect that they don't want to get

involved in a matter that may end up in court. Or,

they are afraid to deviate from the " company " line.

I know one woman who already had been tested and knew

the results . . . She knew she was worse . . . then,

when the doctor tested her and told her she was fine,

she told him what he could do with his results, and

his fee.

He never sent a bill to her or to her insurance

company.

My doctor lied to me also . . . I wasn't " with it "

enough to throw it back at him, but I should have. A

give away was when he tested one leg and said it was

fine, and when I asked him about the other, he told me

he wouldn't check it because it would be fine too.

In the meantime, I had no reflexes in my feet from the

ankle down . . . several doctors had previously

mentioned the need for testing without going into

detail. One doctor tested my hands by having me close

my eyes and feel some materials to tell him which

material was smoothest . . . I couldn't tell the

difference with some fingers . . . and could barely

tell the difference with others.

A funny story about this . . . One morning I thought

my hubby had gone to work, leaving me sleeping. Half

asleep, I stretched out and felt somebody in bed with

me . . . Turned out it was my other foot!

Rogene