RemedySpot.com

smshandor/vacation&gallbladder issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, Everyone.....Happy New Year to everyone and I hope you all had a relaxing (yeah, right!!!) holiday.

smshandor.....welcome to the group. My son is Gareth, 23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD, and was dx'd around age 5 -6.....at the start of the autism generation. I'm glad that you have an open minded ped for your daughter. So many people have run into one road block after another in getting the dual dx. First, one needs to remember that your daughter is still the same child but now you have the answers for some issues that she may be having. One of MY opinions is that the Autism dx is now your daughter's PRIMARY dx......not the DS. It is the autism that will wreck havoc on her behaviors, education, sensory issues, etc. I know that when my son was younger, it was the autism that was causing the *problems* and I didn't hesitate to tell staring people that *he's autistic*. Once in a while, someone would say back *oh, I thought he had DS.* *Yeah, he's that, too* Don't give up on the academics....I always pushed them hard. They wanted my son in Life skills classes in first grade (because of behaivors) even though he knew his letters, numbers, and was learning to sight read. No way......

About vacation....has anyone had their gallbladder removed and still have gastric issues? Gareth did fine most days on vacation, but on the plane ride home, he was hurting so bad that he would let out an occasional loud yell of pain and slam his fists on my legs or arms....got lots of looks for several hours!!! He's never done that before. After two hours, he was feeling OK enough to sit up and relax a bit. No fever but the sweat was rolling down his face.....just like this summer before he had his gallbladder removed.

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

About vacation....has anyone had their gallbladder removed and still have gastric issues?  Gareth did fine most days on vacation, but on the plane ride home, he was hurting so bad that he would let out an occasional loud yell of pain and slam his fists on my legs or arms....got lots of looks for several hours!!!  He's never done that before.  After two hours, he was feeling OK enough to sit up and relax a bit.  No fever but the sweat was rolling down his face.....just like this summer before he had his gallbladder removed. ----------------------Margaret,When I had my gall bladder out I was told two things that might illuminate Gareth's experience:1. One can continue to *make* gall stones (I'm not sure where they go now that the gall bladder is removed. My friend, shared that his mother makes gall stones without her gal bladder, so it's true!

2. He may have developed a hernia?  Any surgery comes with that risk, but she was clear about that with me.Wish I could be more help. The guessing game is the worst part, isn't it?!?Take care,

Joan

Joan Guthrie Medlen, MEd, RD

DownSyndromeNutrition.com

twitter: @jmedlen

Create Your Family's Vision of Health for 2012  Saturday, January 14 @10am PT

Hi, Everyone.....Happy New Year to everyone and I hope you all had a relaxing (yeah, right!!!) holiday.

smshandor.....welcome to the group.  My son is Gareth,  23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD, and was dx'd around age 5 -6.....at the start of the autism generation.  I'm glad that you have an open minded ped for your daughter.  So many people have run into one road block after another in getting the dual dx.  First, one needs to remember that your daughter is still the same child but now you have the answers for some issues that she may be having.  One of MY opinions is that the Autism dx is now your daughter's PRIMARY dx......not the DS.  It is the autism that will wreck havoc on her behaviors, education, sensory issues, etc.  I know that when my son was younger, it was the autism that was causing the *problems* and I didn't hesitate to tell staring people that *he's autistic*.  Once in a while, someone would say back *oh, I thought he had DS.*  *Yeah, he's that, too*  Don't give up on the academics....I always pushed them hard.  They wanted my son in Life skills classes in first grade (because of behaivors) even though he knew his letters, numbers, and was learning to sight read.  No way......   

About vacation....has anyone had their gallbladder removed and still have gastric issues?  Gareth did fine most days on vacation, but on the plane ride home, he was hurting so bad that he would let out an occasional loud yell of pain and slam his fists on my legs or arms....got lots of looks for several hours!!!  He's never done that before.  After two hours, he was feeling OK enough to sit up and relax a bit.  No fever but the sweat was rolling down his face.....just like this summer before he had his gallbladder removed.

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Oh yes indeed. Phantom gb pains can hurt just as bad as before removal.  I get them, take gas x and that helps.Liz

>  >> About vacation....has anyone had their gallbladder removed and still have gastric issues?  Gareth did fine most days on vacation, but on the plane ride home, he was hurting so bad that he would let out an occasional loud yell of pain and slam his fists on my legs or arms....got lots of looks for several hours!!!  He's never done that before.  After two hours, he was feeling OK enough to sit up and relax a bit.  No fever but the sweat was rolling down his face.....just like this summer before he had his gallbladder removed.

>> ---------------------->> Margaret,>> When I had my gall bladder out I was told two things that might illuminate Gareth's experience:> 1. One can continue to *make* gall stones (I'm not sure where they go now that the gall bladder is removed. My friend, shared that his mother makes gall stones without her gal bladder, so it's true!

> 2. He may have developed a hernia?  Any surgery comes with that risk, but she was clear about that with me.>> Wish I could be more help. The guessing game is the worst part, isn't it?!?>> Take care,

> Joan>>> Joan Guthrie Medlen, MEd, RD> DownSyndromeNutrition.com> twitter: @jmedlen> Create Your Family's Vision of Health for 2012  Saturday, January 14 @10am PT>

>> >>>>  >>>> Hi, Everyone.....Happy New Year to everyone and I hope you all had a relaxing (yeah, right!!!) holiday.

>>  >> smshandor.....welcome to the group.  My son is Gareth,  23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD, and was dx'd around age 5 -6.....at the start of the autism generation.  I'm glad that you have an open minded ped for your daughter.  So many people have run into one road block after another in getting the dual dx.  First, one needs to remember that your daughter is still the same child but now you have the answers for some issues that she may be having.  One of MY opinions is that the Autism dx is now your daughter's PRIMARY dx......not the DS.  It is the autism that will wreck havoc on her behaviors, education, sensory issues, etc.  I know that when my son was younger, it was the autism that was causing the *problems* and I didn't hesitate to tell staring people that *he's autistic*.  Once in a while, someone would say back *oh, I thought he had DS.*  *Yeah, he's that, too*  Don't give up on the academics....I always pushed them hard.  They wanted my son in Life skills classes in first grade (because of behaivors) even though he knew his letters, numbers, and was learning to sight read.  No way......   

>>  >> About vacation....has anyone had their gallbladder removed and still have gastric issues?  Gareth did fine most days on vacation, but on the plane ride home, he was hurting so bad that he would let out an occasional loud yell of pain and slam his fists on my legs or arms....got lots of looks for several hours!!!  He's never done that before.  After two hours, he was feeling OK enough to sit up and relax a bit.  No fever but the sweat was rolling down his face.....just like this summer before he had his gallbladder removed.

>>  >> Take care, Everyone.>> Margaret>> -- Liz DeSantis " The person who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before. "

" Creativity in living is not without its attendant difficulties, for peculiarity breeds contempt. And the unfortunate thing about being ahead of your time is that when people finally realize you were right, they'll say it was obvious all along. " ---Temple Grandin

" Anyone

can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength. " - Reeves " Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can understand persistence. "   - Hal Borland