RemedySpot.com

Re: Sorry I haven't been around lately

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. We've been to the hospital 5 times since Thanksgiving.

All I can say is " Ditto " , Beth, about communication. It seems to be a major key in controlling behavior, and a whole lot more.

My daughter is 15, and was not diagnosed with ASD until recently.

She always had communication issues that were just explained as " normal for her diagnosis " .

I am so greatful that we used the Greenspan model for behavior modification, that I discovered by accident. Ironically, it was used for Autism, and we tried it, without knowing about my daughter's Autism. It worked for years, and then, all of a sudden, didn't work anymore. We discovered, after a long time, that there were medical issues that we didn't know about that caused the sudden behavior problems. Once they were discovered and addressed, the behavior problems went away again.

We also used Sign Language as a communication aide, without knowing she was also hearing impaired!  I say we just " got lucky " . There were no guidelines for us, with no diagnosis, other than Trisomy 21.

I did a lot of research on how the brain works, and alternate methods of communication, and discovered much that helped with finding tools that worked for us.

I am glad we didn't know, in restrospect. What we have used, and continue to use, works for us.

I know all of our children are so different, and respond so differently. What works for one, may not work for another, and what works today, may not work tomorrow. Keep trying things, until you find what works for you.

If the behaviors diminish, and communication increases, that is what you need.

I am still trying new things, to find new, different, and possibly better things that will work for us. It's a process.

Sharon and ALL, This is weird- I don't know what happened to my post- it's disappeared! Sharon, I just mentioned that I welcome you to contact me off the list at ppaul1@... and we can exchange phone numbers.

The autism scholarship is a complicated topic to cover here, as it only applies to Ohio, and then, depending on where you live in Ohio, may or may not make sense to even look into at this point, since your daughter is very young.

My son Pete, 21, attends a small school for students with autism, but our local school district pays to send him there, as they admitted they could not fulfill his IEP based on the services they were able to provide. So, we do not use the autism scholarship, but of course, there are many families that do.

One caveat: if you are currently pleased with your daughter's school programs, AND she is making progress, there should be no reason for you to change anything that you are doing right now. Remember, SHE did not change just by adding another dx to her files.

One last thing- please do not be discouraged by lack of responses from the group right now, because those families with children will have had their hands fuller than usual with the holiday break. Once kids are settled back into routines, there will be more activity here.

As for your question about what would those of us who have older children have done in hindsight- the main thing I can think of is to have insisted on using AAC earlier- that is, " augmented, alternative communication " . If we had used visuals (picture cards, boardmaker symbols, etc.) or now, in 2012, there are so many easily obtained communication devices, apps, digital resources, etc., my son might not have been as frustrated to communicate for as long as he was.

Giving kids a WAY to communicate is, in my opinion, the number one thing we can do to during early years to keep our kids from retreating into their own little worlds or to bring them out from there in the first place. Well, of course, the medical issues need attention first, but focus on communication is right there next to the health issues.

It might seem overly simple to say that " all behavior is a form of communication " , but it IS. And most of us tend to need to be very nimble mind readers unless our kids are able to tell us more conventionally what they need and want.

There is always lots more to say than time available. HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! Wishing each and every family here some kind of breather from the stresses and strains of daily life, and someone in real life to be there with you through the challenges.

Beth21 y/o Pete's MumCentral OhioPlanning our " up and out " school year- June 1!> >> > Hello,

> > I am new to the group and just beginning my journey of looking into the most appropriate therapies, schooling, etc for my daughter who was just diagnosed. > > I have heard there is an Ohio Autism Scholarship but in order to access the funds you need to pull your kid out of the public school system. My daughter is 3 1/2 and currently attends the Spec Ed preschool, so to think of a total overhaul of her schedule is a bit scary.

> > > > I'm curious about pro's and con's for those that use it and for those that have chosen other methods. Basically anything you can share would be helpful!> > Thank you!> > Sharon

> >>