RemedySpot.com

Skin issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

<< most acne medications are too harsh for our children's skin, according to our dermatologist.>>

Hi, Everyone.....we use hot compresses and Bacitracin/Neosporin, etc. I don't understand how acne medication can be any less harsh for kid's skin than bleach water? I can't imagine letting Gareth sit in bleach water.....no matter how dilute it is. I guess this is one of those instances where each child's parent has their own method in dealing with them. Unfortunately, Gareth doesn't complain of the pain till they are HUGE with a large, red, infected area around them. Just a small, pinhead infection/boil drives me nuts!!!

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Mom to Gareth, 23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD

So far we have only had to deal with facial acne but I found an amazing soap that is much less harsh than the real acne medication from Walgreens. It is called Desert Essence. It smells like saddle soap and I did not want to use it at first but it makes acne disappear so fast - without any burning that I've been telling everyone about it. If it isn't organic it is all natural. The first time I purchased it was at the local organic co-op but I'm pretty sure the 2nd time I got it, it was at Target.It is amazing you just have to decide you like the smell of saddle soap.Just our two cents.LoriMom to Isaac 15 and Tony 13

<< most acne medications are too harsh for our children's skin, according to our dermatologist.>>

Hi, Everyone.....we use hot compresses and Bacitracin/Neosporin, etc. I don't understand how acne medication can be any less harsh for kid's skin than bleach water? I can't imagine letting Gareth sit in bleach water.....no matter how dilute it is. I guess this is one of those instances where each child's parent has their own method in dealing with them. Unfortunately, Gareth doesn't complain of the pain till they are HUGE with a large, red, infected area around them. Just a small, pinhead infection/boil drives me nuts!!!

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Mom to Gareth, 23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD

I think you have the answer...all of children are different. We have to find what works for our child, with the guidance of a professional dermatologist who is familiar with the unique set of problems our children face.

For example, we can't even use bleach water for a prolonged period of time, while many have no issues at all with it. Acne medications have caused serious rashes and burning for my daughter, but bacitracin works for now, on the more severe lesions. I personally worry about prolonged use of any antibiotics, even for the skin, so we only use it when nothing else works, (even though I have been told there is no issue with prolonged use). 

I appreciate hearing about all of the different ideas everyone has presented. It is a real eye-opener for me. I did not know that so many of us have had similar issues. Thank you, everyone.

Hi, Everyone.....we use hot compresses and Bacitracin/Neosporin, etc.  I don't understand how acne medication can be any less harsh for kid's skin than bleach water?  I can't imagine letting Gareth sit in bleach water.....no matter how dilute it is.   I guess this is one of those instances where each child's parent has their own method in dealing with them.  Unfortunately,  Gareth doesn't complain of the pain till they are HUGE with a large, red, infected area around them.  Just a small, pinhead infection/boil drives me nuts!!!

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Mom to Gareth,  23 y/o, DS/ASD/OCD 

Bleach works for those of us who use it because it kills bacateria.  Also sosme fungus.  And it is cheap, readily available and easy to use.  (well except for some permanently spotted pants!!)  For us it works better and more often then expensive cremes - which usually do not work.

However, as we often say on this list - every child and family reacts differently.

I agree Margaret!  I never did get the whole bleach in the bath water treatment!!!

Heidi

-- Sara- different pathways lead to Nirvana.

No it is a purifying chemical - we use it to purify water.  It was one of the first agents to kill bacteria.  A 1-in-5 dilution of household bleach with water (1 part bleach to 4 parts water) is effective against many bacteria and some viruses, and is often the disinfectant of choice in cleaning surfaces in hospitals (primarily in the United States). The solution is corrosive, and needs to be thoroughly removed afterwards, so the bleach disinfection is sometimes followed by an ethanol

disinfection. Even " scientific-grade " , commercially produced disinfection solutions such as Virocidin-X usually have sodium hypochlorite as their sole active ingredient, though they also contain surfactants (to prevent beading) and fragrances (to conceal the bleach smell).[6]  FROM WIKIPEDIA> 

When used at a ratio of 1/2 cup in a tub of water, the dilute effect is not corrosive and acts as a skin disinfectant, reducing the spread aof the bacteria and, along with warm water, reducing the pustule. 

I guess I would just be worried about using it as a bath option since it is ultimately a cleaning chemical isn't it?

Heidi

-- Sara- different pathways lead to Nirvana.