RemedySpot.com

Throwing and Bowels - long

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello .  Welcome to the list.  My son Elie is 26, was dx with ASD at about age 10, He also threw things for years and was not effectively toilet trained until about age 15.Elie is also the next to youngest of 7 (we are adopting a 15 yo girl now). 

We live in North GA mountains.HAving said all that as an introduction, let me be more specific.Trowing things - our biggest problem for years was throwing things while in the car.  So we bought a mini van and put him in the thrid row.  Our ritual on entering the car was to remove his shoes and make sure he only had soft toys.  That way the driver was not hurt!!!   At home, we immediately removed what ever was thrown.  IF it was a favorite stim item, it disappeared for a day.  Other things, just disappeared.  BTW _ at age 22, after years of no problems, we took Elie to a play (musical) which he has always loved.  For some reason -, he flet a different aura in the theater and refused to leave the lobby.  I decided to wait him out - which usually works-, but this day he got more and more worked up.  Eventually, he swung his stim toy - a google eyed cookie monster- and caught me across the face - breaking my zygomatic bone!!.  I recovered, the google eyed monsters didn't.  they all went in the trash that day (we had 4 of them). 

Since that radical move, he has not been allowed to take stim items out of the car when we go someplace by car.  And he is fine with it - after all, he tells me- he is a man.  Toileting:  We got rid of diapers at age six,.  I was not willing to spend money on diapers when I had a washing machine.  I must add that Elie was continent of urine by then,.  The issuse was bowles.  I bought LOTS of white underwear.  And sent six sets of clothes to school.  There were days when all 6 were used.  But gradually, using a timed schedule after establishing a baseline, we had fewer and fewer incidents at school.  By age 15, they were rare enough that there was one set of clothes at school.  Now at age 26, he has had one incident about a year ago - and boy was he upset. 

My personal belief is that with this issue, diapers may prolong the lack of training.  But use a baseline - record every instance of  voiding  evacuation so that you know when he is MOST likely to use the bathroom.  Set up a routine - and make sure the school does the ssame thing.  I think if you take a survey on this list, most of our kids eventually will be trained. 

Hello!

My little guy is 8 and also has apraxia. I do agree that it is not easy and can be lonely. I think the throwing is the most difficult for us right now. I know it is (in part) his way to get attention and communicate. But it can be hard to take. We are having some progress with ABA therapy (just started a several months ago). We have a long way to go...one day at a time.

>

> Hello Everyone,

> I have a lovely son Adam who is 9. He has DS, Autism, ADHD and speech apraxia. As Im sure youll agree, its not easy and it can be lonely. When he was a baby then toddler, I knew there was something 'odd' as he wasnt a 'normal' DS person lol and when he got the ASD diagnosis a lot of things slotted in to place which helps but Im feeling lost as to how to deal with certain behaviours. Hes still in diapers, has 3 words, very few gestures and throws stuff, a lot :(

> Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'hi' :)

>

-- Sara- different pathways lead to Nirvana.