RemedySpot.com

Re: Urgent Advice on Direct Payments Please!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

You can postpone the visit- ring them and ask them to come in a week or two.

Then find someone knowledgeable to be there with you during the

visit/assessment.

Margaret

>

> Hi All

>

> Received a phone call this morning to remind me of the social workers visit

> today at 3pm to assess Jack for Direct Payment which I had no idea of!!

>

> I made my first enquiry back in January and now this call!!

>

> Need some advice on what to ask for, what it can be spent on etc Totally

> not prepared for this!! *Help!!*

>

> Marina x

>

Guest guest

Hi MarinaWe get direct payments and use them for a carer to stay in with dd when we go out, either for a night out or other commitments like parents evenings etc. We recruit carers ourselves and pay them using the direct payment.KathSent from my iPad

Hi All

Received a phone call this morning to remind me of the social workers visit today at 3pm to assess Jack for Direct Payment which I had no idea of!!

I made my first enquiry back in January and now this call!!

Need some advice on what to ask for, what it can be spent on etc Totally not prepared for this!! Help!!

Marina x

Guest guest

Hi Margaret I have waited so long I am reluctant to cancel!!!

Kath  is it for any time or can u get them to increase hours in school holidays?

Marina x

Hi MarinaWe get direct payments and use them for a carer to stay in with dd when we go out, either for a night out or other commitments like parents evenings etc. We recruit carers ourselves and pay them using the direct payment.

KathSent from my iPad

Hi All

Received a phone call this morning to remind me of the social workers visit today at 3pm to assess Jack for Direct Payment which I had no idea of!! 

Need some advice on what to ask for,  what it can be spent on etc  Totally not prepared for this!!  Help!!

Marina x

Guest guest

Hi Marina In my experience you have to lay it on thick, i did and only got offered 3 hours per month, i explained to them i have no one else to look after him as both my daughter (19yrs and 21yrs) are at full time college, also have jobs and social lives, i asked for 4 hours a week which i didnt think was being greedy. I complained when they offered me 3 hours and got 7 hours a month. I think they give out more hours to people who have other children so if i was you i would say i need to spend some time with as he has this this and this to go to and i cannot give him my undivided attention when i have to also look after Jack at the same time and is beginning to suffer because of this fact, lay it in thick and dont tell them you have any family help because they will give you ziltch! HTH x To: Autism-Biomedical-Europe From: marinavrahimi@...Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:06:57 +0100Subject: Re: Urgent Advice on Direct Payments Please!!

Kath is it for any time or can u get them to increase hours in school holidays?

Marina x

Hi MarinaWe get direct payments and use them for a carer to stay in with dd when we go out, either for a night out or other commitments like parents evenings etc. We recruit carers ourselves and pay them using the direct payment.

KathSent from my iPad

Hi All

Need some advice on what to ask for, what it can be spent on etc Totally not prepared for this!! Help!!

Marina x

Guest guest

Yes you can use them anytime as long as you don't build up too much cash ( or they claw it back)Just make it clear to them you will be using more hours in the Holidays.We have found them very flexible.There's no reason why you can't train the carer up in ABA ,or sunrise or whatever method you use. The carer could take your child out too.We need two carers to accompany dd so it's more cost effective for use the carer to stay in with her whilst we go out.I would ask for more than you think you would need( as you will get less) or work out how many hours you would like each holiday, add it up over the year then divide it into a weekly number of hours.KathSent from my iPad

Kath is it for any time or can u get them to increase hours in school holidays?

Marina x

KathSent from my iPad

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Thanks everyone, that is really true about I missed his entire football tournament as Jack wouldn't be able to cope with it.  Lots of occasions like that recently and he is on report constantly for not completing homework, am at my wits end trying to keep up!!

Kath I dont think I would have trouble building up the cash lol!!

Thanks again everyone

Marina xx

Yes you can use them anytime as long as you don't build up  too much cash ( or they claw it back)Just make it clear to them you will be using more hours in the Holidays.

We have found them very flexible.There's no reason why you can't  train the carer up in ABA ,or sunrise or whatever method you use. The carer could take your child out too.We need two carers to accompany dd so it's more cost effective for use the carer to stay in with her whilst we go out.

I would ask for more than you think you would need( as you will get less) or work out how many hours you would like each holiday, add it up over the year  then divide it into a weekly number of hours.

KathSent from my iPad

Kath  is it for any time or can u get them to increase hours in school holidays?

Marina x

Hi Marina

We get direct payments and use them for a carer to stay in with dd when we go out, either for a night out or other commitments like parents evenings etc. We recruit carers ourselves and pay them using the direct payment.

KathSent from my iPad

Hi All

Need some advice on what to ask for,  what it can be spent on etc  Totally not prepared for this!!  Help!!

Marina x

Guest guest

You need more time to prepare, you talk about needing protected time with your other lad, with your mum who just lost her hubby and then for you to have a break, you are prepared to accept 15 hours per week term time and an extra 5 hours per week in the school holidays (you haven't a hope in hell), you are single parent with a chocolate teapot ex and you need to survive and not require a 52 week placement in boarding school, threats / tears maybe useful. Support from GP is bonus

Be flat (hard for you) determined (easy for you) and ask about holiday club opportunties also

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Thanks Mandi - don't get to spend any time just me and mum at all nowdays. I don't even go round to hers because I just cant get used to being there without my Dad, have promised her a spa weekend but just seems like pie in the sky at the moment!

Good guide on the hours needed - cheers.

Chocolate teapot not a lie either, never has them for longer than about 4 hours every couple of weeks if im lucky.

Really fed up with Jacks school at the moment too but will post for advice on that later on tonight.

xx

You need more time to prepare, you talk about needing protected time with your other lad, with your mum who just lost her hubby and then for you to have a break, you are prepared to accept 15 hours per week term time and an extra 5 hours per week in the school holidays (you haven't a hope in hell), you are single parent with a chocolate teapot ex and you need to survive and not require a 52 week placement in boarding school, threats / tears maybe useful. Support from GP is bonus

Be flat (hard for you) determined (easy for you) and ask about holiday club opportunties also

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Most folks get 4 hours per week and sing for it in the hols, but talking per WEEK is a good idea, those twits down our way with their 3 hours per month offering to so far takes the biscuit

Mx

Thanks Mandi - don't get to spend any time just me and mum at all nowdays. I don't even go round to hers because I just cant get used to being there without my Dad, have promised her a spa weekend but just seems like pie in the sky at the moment!

Chocolate teapot not a lie either, never has them for longer than about 4 hours every couple of weeks if im lucky.

Really fed up with Jacks school at the moment too but will post for advice on that later on tonight.

xx

You need more time to prepare, you talk about needing protected time with your other lad, with your mum who just lost her hubby and then for you to have a break, you are prepared to accept 15 hours per week term time and an extra 5 hours per week in the school holidays (you haven't a hope in hell), you are single parent with a chocolate teapot ex and you need to survive and not require a 52 week placement in boarding school, threats / tears maybe useful. Support from GP is bonus

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

It has taken them five months just to get someone to come round and Essex are notoriously bad for provision so not holding my breath.  Will let you know how i get on.

xx

Most folks get 4 hours per week and sing for it in the hols, but talking per WEEK is a good idea, those twits down our way with their 3 hours per month offering to so far takes the biscuit

Mx

xx

You need more time to prepare, you talk about needing protected time with your other lad, with your mum who just lost her hubby and then for you to have a break, you are prepared to accept 15 hours per week term time and an extra 5 hours per week in the school holidays (you haven't a hope in hell), you are single parent with a chocolate teapot ex and you need to survive and not require a 52 week placement in boarding school, threats / tears maybe useful. Support from GP is bonus

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

OK she has just left and is going to put in for 4hours  a week in term time and paying for a 9am to 6pm club in holidays. Will review in 3 months.

Won't be going to any club if I don't like it so what then?

Marina xx

It has taken them five months just to get someone to come round and Essex are notoriously bad for provision so not holding my breath.  Will let you know how i get on.

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Is holiday club every day??? Not a bad result to start with really in comparison, once its in place you can work up especially as not yet sure holiday club is appropriate, need to find out more about that one

Mx

OK she has just left and is going to put in for 4hours a week in term time and paying for a 9am to 6pm club in holidays. Will review in 3 months.

Marina xx

It has taken them five months just to get someone to come round and Essex are notoriously bad for provision so not holding my breath. Will let you know how i get on.

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Even the social worker wasn't sure about the club as she has never been there! Will go and look at it next week.

M xx

Is holiday club every day??? Not a bad result to start with really in comparison, once its in place you can work up especially as not yet sure holiday club is appropriate, need to find out more about that one

Mx

OK she has just left and is going to put in for 4hours  a week in term time and paying for a 9am to 6pm club in holidays. Will review in 3 months.

Marina xx

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

If holiday club doesn't work out you can ask for a direct payment instead. They may pretend they don't have to give you a DP instead but legally they are required to do so.

Mx

OK she has just left and is going to put in for 4hours a week in term time and paying for a 9am to 6pm club in holidays. Will review in 3 months.

Marina xx

It has taken them five months just to get someone to come round and Essex are notoriously bad for provision so not holding my breath. Will let you know how i get on.

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Good point , ask her how much it costs per day then you can calculate how many DP hours it converts to.............if required

If holiday club doesn't work out you can ask for a direct payment instead. They may pretend they don't have to give you a DP instead but legally they are required to do so.

Mx

Marina xx

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Good idea. Thanks all xx

Good point , ask her how much it costs per day then you can calculate how many DP hours it converts to.............if required

If holiday club doesn't work out you can ask for a direct payment instead.  They may pretend they don't have to give you a DP instead but legally they are required to do so.

Mx

Marina xx

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Just called Elhap play scheme. If jacks needs 1:1 it will cost £143 from 10am till 3.30 not 9 till 6 as social worker told me. If he needs 1:4 it will cost £87. If I go with him it will be £5!!!!  The whole point is I work full time! How can they give 4hrs a week then a play scheme that costs a fortune!

Marina xx

Good idea. Thanks all xx

If holiday club doesn't work out you can ask for a direct payment instead.  They may pretend they don't have to give you a DP instead but legally they are required to do so.

Mx

Marina xx

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x

Guest guest

Exactly! Complete bloody madness

Mx

Just called Elhap play scheme. If jacks needs 1:1 it will cost £143 from 10am till 3.30 not 9 till 6 as social worker told me. If he needs 1:4 it will cost £87. If I go with him it will be £5!!!! The whole point is I work full time! How can they give 4hrs a week then a play scheme that costs a fortune!

Marina xx

Good idea. Thanks all xx

Mx

Marina xx

xx

Mx

xx

Mx

Hi All

Marina x