RemedySpot.com

Re: Hello Everyone :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome , Tx(treatment can be as hard on the family as the person undergoing it. It IS poison & different people react differently to it, some worse than others. Check in our files section at the Group Site, you'll find a lot of information there but be careful not to overdose on information, it can be a lot to digest at once. Watch out for depression, it's a major side effect. I like to recommend a web site called the Combo Survival Guide

http://www.hepcsurvivalguide.org/comboguide.htm , it's a bit out of date but still relevant & gives you the info with a sense of humour! We all need to laugh sometimes.SuZie & Sir SpYke the Fluffy, G O T (Galactic Overlord in Training, also, my cat)If a pig loses it's voice is it

disgruntled?

Hi there,

My name is . I have come here to gain some education and see

what other people's experiences have been being treated for Hep C.

My dad is 55 and was recently diagnosed as having HepC. He started his

treatment on friday. PEG-Interferon & ribiviron.

Hes not feeling very well. I am trying to educated myself as best I can

so I can help him get through the next 6 months. At first he said he

had the flu, I told him he didnt have the flu, its was a reaction to

the medication.. .he told me it wasn't medication, it was poison and his

body didnt like it. My heart is breaking for him. I spent the good part

of the morning crying because Im so sad. He can't sleep, won't eat, and

said this is like a hang over 10 times worse. I have suggested taking

tylenol a bit beofre his next injection and try to drink lots of water

but he cant. We, as a family knew the treatment would be worse than the

disease itself and for the moment it is. I hope he makes it through to

the end and has a positive outcome. Sorry to ramble, Seeing this big

huge man, thats a bear being put on his butt by something like this has

shook me up and I can't imagine what is going through his head. He's

asked me to stop phoning him to see if he's alright, I think I was

calling to much but I want to make sure he's ok, I sent soup over this

morning, his favorite, and said he would call if he needed anything.

I think a forum is great place for me to start. To gather advice and

seek support and the most important thing- to learn how to support him

right now.

Thanks for reading

A daughter with a sad heart

Hi, , Welcome to our group. It will not be easy to watch your dad go through this treatment. It is hard on mind, body and spirit. and, probably worse on those who seek to support those on treatment. Your dad is very lucky to have someone who cares so much looking out for him. It is wise to seek out information on how to help him especially from those who have been there. some things that you can do is to make sure he is drinking plenty of water. one gallon per day is advisable it will help keep the side effects under control. Another thing you might do is try to find out what his schedule with his dr is and check with him to make sure he can get there before each dr visit. You or someone may need to drive him as these medications make us such

a mess. I didn't feel comfortable behind the wheel while on treatment and was thankful to have my husband with me to get me there. He was a God send. Your dad will not feel hungry. He may attempt to eat, but only a few bites might fill him up. Try to get him to eat small amounts several times a day. A good diet is important. Also, he needs to be on an antidepressant and a sleep aid. My dr had me on Trazodone. It's an antidepressant but lots of drs prescribe it for sleep aid. It won't hurt your dad to take several if needed according to my dr. Rest is extremely important as well as no stress. Both will help his liver. He may very well be in a bad mood, and won't want to be around anyone. Taking a shower or bath will be a chore. Being up and doing anything longer than 20 minutes at a time may wear him out. He will need lots of rest. You dad may be grumpy,

but he will appreciated your help. He is a very lucky dad. I hope I've helped a little. I may think of more things later. Hugs, VickieG To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 1:02:14 PMSubject: Hello Everyone :)

Hi there,

right now.

Thanks for reading

Oh, I forgot something, . These meds make us very forgetful and foggy at times. It will be a very good idea if his pills are in a weekly pill box marked monday, tuesday, etc, etc. He will have morning doses and evening doses. Very important to take them as close on schedule as possible. It's awful to not remember if you've taken your pills or not. You don't want to take another dose if you did take them (overdose) but just forgot and you don't want to miss a dose. If He takes his pills from the box, he can leave that morning or evening day opened until time to take the next dose. Then, if he thinks he forgot, he can tell at a glance. If the box is opened still, he took it if not, he may have forgotten it. My husband learned early on to

ask me if I took my pills. Sometimes I had to look and see. I marked shot night on the calendar. I hope I've helped some. Hugs, VickieG To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 1:02:14 PMSubject: Hello Everyone :)

Hi there,

right now.

Thanks for reading

Thanks so very much for your input. I will get him a pill box

tomorrow.

The dr told him...the treatment will make a normal person into him

and him into a grizzly bear since he already struggles with a short

fuse. We have asked him to start taking antidepressents but hes

refused for now. Thanks so much for the warm welcome, its appreciated.

Thanks everyone for you time and support and for the links to more

information, Im taking it all in stride and your help is appreciated

more than you know, some stuff you just cant read or get from books,

experience is the number for passing on knowledge

:)

>

> Oh, I forgot something, . These meds make us very forgetful

and foggy at times. It will be a very good idea if his pills are in

a weekly pill box marked monday, tuesday, etc, etc. He will have

morning doses and evening doses. Very important to take them as

close on schedule as possible. It's awful to not remember if you've

taken your pills or not. You don't want to take another dose if you

did take them (overdose) but just forgot and you don't want to miss a

dose. If He takes his pills from the box, he can leave that morning

or evening day opened until time to take the next dose. Then, if he

thinks he forgot, he can tell at a glance. If the box is opened

still, he took it if not, he may have forgotten it. My husband

learned early on to ask me if I took my pills. Sometimes I had to

look and see. I marked shot night on the calendar. I hope I've

helped some. Hugs, VickieG

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies

> Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 1:02:14 PM

> Subject: Hello Everyone :)

>

>

> Hi there,

> My name is . I have come here to gain some education and see

> what other people's experiences have been being treated for Hep C.

> My dad is 55 and was recently diagnosed as having HepC. He started

his

> treatment on friday. PEG-Interferon & ribiviron.

> Hes not feeling very well. I am trying to educated myself as best I

can

> so I can help him get through the next 6 months. At first he said

he

> had the flu, I told him he didnt have the flu, its was a reaction

to

> the medication.. .he told me it wasn't medication, it was poison

and his

> body didnt like it. My heart is breaking for him. I spent the good

part

> of the morning crying because Im so sad. He can't sleep, won't eat,

and

> said this is like a hang over 10 times worse. I have suggested

taking

> tylenol a bit beofre his next injection and try to drink lots of

water

> but he cant. We, as a family knew the treatment would be worse than

the

> disease itself and for the moment it is. I hope he makes it through

to

> the end and has a positive outcome. Sorry to ramble, Seeing this

big

> huge man, thats a bear being put on his butt by something like this

has

> shook me up and I can't imagine what is going through his head.

He's

> asked me to stop phoning him to see if he's alright, I think I was

> calling to much but I want to make sure he's ok, I sent soup over

this

> morning, his favorite, and said he would call if he needed anything.

>

> I think a forum is great place for me to start. To gather advice

and

> seek support and the most important thing- to learn how to support

him

> right now.

>

> Thanks for reading

> A daughter with a sad heart

>

>

^Thanks very much gail, i think Im going to make a compilation of the

responses and let him read them. He refused antidepressants, which is

his right, but doesnt make right. His irritability is already through

the roof and he has diabetes which makes daily living not fun for him

to begin with.

Tomorrow is another day...I need to fire a friendly assault on him to

help him help himself through this.

>

> It is important that he drink a gallon of liquids a day and that is

not

> including coffee.This will reduce how bad the sides will be.Also

the doctors

> usually suggest anti depressants a month before treatment to help

releave

> the irritability that goes with treatment. Please copy these

emails out and

> let your dad read them. He needs to eat frequently but in small

portions if

> his stomach is upset. Ensure or Boost without iron will help settle

his

> stomach so he can eat a small meal. I was 55 when I had treatment

and it was

> the old treatment of interferon and riboveron and I had to have

three shots

> a wk. I had genotype 1 which meant that I had to endure treatment

for

> 52wks.This was in 98-99. If he follows our instructions he will get

through

> treatment much more easy and the first shot is the worse reaction.

> Gail

>

>

Hi ,

This treatment is rough, but in time the body gets used to it, and feeling not so well seems to be normal. The beginning is the worst. I used to call my medicine "poison pills". But it is the only way to get better so you just kinda endure it. Sometimes on this treatment, you want to be alone and lay around feeling like crap all by yourself. Keep checking on your dad, but give him his space to be alone.

Hoku

To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:02:14 AMSubject: Hello Everyone :)

Hi there, My name is . I have come here to gain some education and see what other people's experiences have been being treated for Hep C.My dad is 55 and was recently diagnosed as having HepC. He started his treatment on friday. PEG-Interferon & ribiviron.Hes not feeling very well. I am trying to educated myself as best I can so I can help him get through the next 6 months. At first he said he had the flu, I told him he didnt have the flu, its was a reaction to the medication.. .he told me it wasn't medication, it was poison and his body didnt like it. My heart is breaking for him. I spent the good part of the morning crying because Im so sad. He can't sleep, won't eat, and said this is like a hang over 10 times worse. I have suggested taking tylenol a bit beofre his next injection and try to drink lots of water but he cant. We, as a family knew the treatment would be worse than the

disease itself and for the moment it is. I hope he makes it through to the end and has a positive outcome. Sorry to ramble, Seeing this big huge man, thats a bear being put on his butt by something like this has shook me up and I can't imagine what is going through his head. He's asked me to stop phoning him to see if he's alright, I think I was calling to much but I want to make sure he's ok, I sent soup over this morning, his favorite, and said he would call if he needed anything.I think a forum is great place for me to start. To gather advice and seek support and the most important thing- to learn how to support him right now.Thanks for readingA daughter with a sad heart

Keep sending him soup! That is such a cool thing for you to do for your dad. The medicine can make you grumpy so if he doesn't call you back its because of the medicine. Showing up with food is a great way to check in on him and make sure he eats well. I think so anyway.

Subject: Re: Hello Everyone :)To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 7:37 PM

Hi ,

This treatment is rough, but in time the body gets used to it, and feeling not so well seems to be normal. The beginning is the worst. I used to call my medicine "poison pills". But it is the only way to get better so you just kinda endure it. Sometimes on this treatment, you want to be alone and lay around feeling like crap all by yourself. Keep checking on your dad, but give him his space to be alone.

Hoku

From: <froggie__style@ hotmail.com>To: HepatitisCSupportGr oupForDummies@ yahoogroups. comSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:02:14 AMSubject: [HepatitisCSupportG roupForDummies] Hello Everyone :)

Hi there, My name is . I have come here to gain some education and see what other people's experiences have been being treated for Hep C.My dad is 55 and was recently diagnosed as having HepC. He started his treatment on friday. PEG-Interferon & ribiviron.Hes not feeling very well. I am trying to educated myself as best I can so I can help him get through the next 6 months. At first he said he had the flu, I told him he didnt have the flu, its was a reaction to the medication.. .he told me it wasn't medication, it was poison and his body didnt like it. My heart is breaking for him. I spent the good part of the morning crying because Im so sad. He can't sleep, won't eat, and said this is like a hang over 10 times worse. I have suggested taking tylenol a bit beofre his next injection and try to drink lots of water but he cant. We, as a family knew the treatment would be worse than the

disease itself and for the moment it is. I hope he makes it through to the end and has a positive outcome. Sorry to ramble, Seeing this big huge man, thats a bear being put on his butt by something like this has shook me up and I can't imagine what is going through his head. He's asked me to stop phoning him to see if he's alright, I think I was calling to much but I want to make sure he's ok, I sent soup over this morning, his favorite, and said he would call if he needed anything.I think a forum is great place for me to start. To gather advice and seek support and the most important thing- to learn how to support him right now.Thanks for readingA daughter with a sad heart

I think it is wonderful that you are beng proactive about your dads illness. The best thing to do is tylenol about 20-30 min before the next shot also take a benadryl or two and that should help with the sleep. Anti-depressants help with a lot of the side effects too. The first shot or two is the worst and should become easier as he learns how to deal with each side. My drs said that when the side effects are bad I should take a tylenol or two and that helps too with the sides. He needs exercise, sleeep and water these will be what gets him through and dont beat your self up he just does not want his daughter to feel bad or worry. plus it is hard on the emotions. I have to run but feel free to write with more ?'s

Subject: Hello Everyone :)To: HepatitisCSupportGroupForDummies Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 11:02 AM