RemedySpot.com

Re: YEE-HAW!! Major Breakthough!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yay!   I love running, these feats really are overwhelmingly happy, aren't they?  I cried when I finished my first 5K and also my first half marathon.  I know that when I finish the Shamrock Run 15K I will feel the same way. 

Congrats on finding your speed, Indy!  Nothing like a runner's high, eh?

EUREKA! I found it!! I found " my " running speed -- one I can sustain without walking breaks!

This evening, I wanted to do a cardio, but just wasn't feeling up to an HIIT killer. I got on the treadmill and warmed up for a light run. I set it where I felt comfortable into a light run. I decided to run at that pace (4 mph) as long as I could before needing to stop.

After 1.5 miles STRAIGHT, I decided not to push it the first time out, and warmed down. This is the FIRST TIME (in the last 30 years) I have been able to sustain a run for more than about 3 minutes!!!! Yee-Haw!

A year ago, I didn't think I would ever be able to run. I had feet and back problems I was sure would stop me. Good orthodics and running form sure helped those areas. Last spring, I thought I might try a little, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I could indeed run for a minute or two. Last summer, I tried the Couch-to-5K program, but didn't finish. I've been working on run/walking intervals for most of the fall, and recently started HIIT workouts on my treadmill. These interval training sessions got me to know some of my peaks and valleys, so i thought I would be able to guess what might be a sustainable speed for me. I didn't know I would find it on my first try tonight already!

I'm not sure where to go from here. I established that 4.0 mph is a good sustainable speed for a 1.5 mile run. Do I try to lengthen the time running, or do I try to increase the speed? Or both together? -- I think I'm leaning towards increasing speed, sinice I'm often pressed for time.

A big thanks goes to my son, who taught me much better running form than what I was doing, and to DH, who got me the new treadmill! The flashing lights and various metrics help me quantify what I am doing, so I can make minor adjustments.

Anyway, can you all tell I am excited about this? It's a major breakthough for someone who never thought she'd be able to run! I know I can do it!!

And a thanks to , who has told us of her strides in running! She's been a running inspiration to me, as have many of you who continue on, despite leaky brains, pinched nerves, MS, stressful lives, and other fitness blocks!

Indyrose,

who is still trying to comprehend RUNNING a full 1.5 miles straight!

Anyway, can you all tell I am excited about this? It's a major breakthough for someone who never thought she'd be able to run! I know I can do it!!

That is awesome Indyrose. Very proud of you!!

~

WAY TO GO, INDY!!! TOO COOL!!!

YEE-HAW!! Major Breakthough!!

EUREKA! I found it!! I found "my" running speed -- one I can sustain without walking breaks! This evening, I wanted to do a cardio, but just wasn't feeling up to an HIIT killer. I got on the treadmill and warmed up for a light run. I set it where I felt comfortable into a light run. I decided to run at that pace (4 mph) as long as I could before needing to stop.After 1.5 miles STRAIGHT, I decided not to push it the first time out, and warmed down. This is the FIRST TIME (in the last 30 years) I have been able to sustain a run for more than about 3 minutes!!!! Yee-Haw!A year ago, I didn't think I would ever be able to run. I had feet and back problems I was sure would stop me. Good orthodics and running form sure helped those areas. Last spring, I thought I might try a little, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I could indeed run for a minute or two. Last summer, I tried the Couch-to-5K program, but didn't finish. I've been working on run/walking intervals for most of the fall, and recently started HIIT workouts on my treadmill. These interval training sessions got me to know some of my peaks and valleys, so i thought I would be able to guess what might be a sustainable speed for me. I didn't know I would find it on my first try tonight already!I'm not sure where to go from here. I established that 4.0 mph is a good sustainable speed for a 1.5 mile run. Do I try to lengthen the time running, or do I try to increase the speed? Or both together? -- I think I'm leaning towards increasing speed, sinice I'm often pressed for time.A big thanks goes to my son, who taught me much better running form than what I was doing, and to DH, who got me the new treadmill! The flashing lights and various metrics help me quantify what I am doing, so I can make minor adjustments.Anyway, can you all tell I am excited about this? It's a major breakthough for someone who never thought she'd be able to run! I know I can do it!!And a thanks to , who has told us of her strides in running! She's been a running inspiration to me, as have many of you who continue on, despite leaky brains, pinched nerves, MS, stressful lives, and other fitness blocks!Indyrose,who is still trying to comprehend RUNNING a full 1.5 miles straight!