RemedySpot.com

Re: Saying goodbye to my Cappuccino

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yea, I think those things are pretty bad - I think it is a lot of sugar, artificial flavors and hydrogenated oils. You would actually be better off having a real cappuccino (like a Starbucks or Panera Bread, or local coffee shop, etc.) made w/ espresso and steamed skim milk - and if you need it, you can add a little real sugar (or sugar substitute if you do that) and maybe some cinnamon sprinkled on top.... At least it is natural w/ real millk and sugar and will probably only run 100-140 calories depending on the size and your choice of milk/sugar!

Donna

Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: Cathe_Friedrich_Fans , exercisevideos , fitandthatsit Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 9:32 AM

For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week. I drink about 8 oz of a 12 oz cup. Not sure what made me look it up, but the other day I decided to google "gas station Cappuccino" I found all sorts of things about it and NONE were good. I even found someone on the Cathe forum that said she was addicted to them. It was me all the way!!!

So with all the googling. I found something VERY disturbing about these gas station drinks. Of the whopping 18 ingredients, 15 of them are the same as in a TWINKIE!! OMG I haven't ate a twinkie since I was a kid. They even called them the "liquid twinkie" I'm beside myself about it. I even told myself that this person was wrong and where in the heck are they getting their information. I mean this stuff is the high light of the end of my day.

So at the grocery store on Sunday grabbed a container of Hills Bros. Cappuccino French Vanilla Mix. He said this has to be better then the gas station. I told him that it wouldn't taste the same. He disagreed. Well, I haven't tried it yet.

Just wanted to share.......

~

Does Starbuck's cappucino have the same ingredients?   I like looking up nutrition info on food, fascinating!

Yea, I think those things are pretty bad - I think it is a lot of sugar, artificial flavors and hydrogenated oils.  You would actually be better off having a real cappuccino (like a Starbucks or Panera Bread, or local coffee shop, etc.) made w/ espresso and steamed skim milk - and if you need it, you can add a little real sugar (or sugar substitute if you do that) and maybe some cinnamon sprinkled on top....  At least it is natural w/ real millk and sugar and will probably only run 100-140 calories depending on the size and your choice of milk/sugar!

Donna

Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: Cathe_Friedrich_Fans , exercisevideos , fitandthatsit

Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 9:32 AM>>  > For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week.  I drink...

Starbuck's cappucinos are just espresso and milk, with whatever flavorings you'd want to add. So I don't imagine they're all that bad for you, calorie-wise, especially if you choose skim milk. Wallet-wise and caffeine-wise is a different story! :)Namiko To: exercisevideos Sent:

Monday, January 23, 2012 12:58 PM Subject: Re: Saying goodbye to my Cappuccino

Does Starbuck's cappucino have the same ingredients? I like looking up nutrition info on food, fascinating!

Yea, I think those things are pretty bad - I think it is a lot of sugar, artificial flavors and hydrogenated oils. You would actually be better off having a real cappuccino (like a Starbucks or Panera Bread, or local coffee shop, etc.) made w/ espresso and steamed skim milk - and if you need it, you can add a little real sugar (or sugar substitute if you do that) and maybe some cinnamon sprinkled on top.... At least it is natural w/ real millk and sugar and will probably only run 100-140 calories depending on the size and your choice of milk/sugar!

Donna

Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: Cathe_Friedrich_Fans , exercisevideos , fitandthatsit

Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 9:32 AM>> > For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week. I drink...

Hi!No, Starbucks (and other chains like Panera and your local coffee shop) use espresso and milk and not "chemicals" (unless you pick their flavored syrups...which may have chemicals, coloring, etc.) to make lattes and cappuccinos. The stuff at the gas station comes from a mix that is mostly hydrogenated oils as is found in powdered creamer, etc.

But, as Namiko noted, the Starbucks/coffee shop cappuccinos are bound to be more expensive than the gas station versions....

Donna

Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: Cathe_Friedrich_Fans , exercisevideos , fitandthatsit Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 9:32 AM

>> > For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week. I drink...

The thing is I drink these in the evening while watching tv and they've never messed with my sleep ( had sleep issues before drinking these) and I don't think they have much caffeine in them. It's that sweet hot drink that I will miss. I do drink the low cal swiss miss, but even that isn't NEAR as good lol. Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone----- Reply message -----To: <exercisevideos >Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoDate: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 12:21 pm Yea, I think those things are pretty bad - I think it is a lot of sugar, artificial flavors and hydrogenated oils. You would actually be better off having a real cappuccino (like a Starbucks or Panera Bread, or local coffee shop, etc.) made w/ espresso and steamed skim milk - and if you need it, you can add a little real sugar (or sugar substitute if you do that) and maybe some cinnamon sprinkled on top.... At least it is natural w/ real millk and sugar and will probably only run 100-140 calories depending on the size and your choice of milk/sugar! DonnaSubject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: Cathe_Friedrich_Fans , exercisevideos , fitandthatsit Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 9:32 AM For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week. I drink about 8 oz of a 12 oz cup. Not sure what made me look it up, but the other day I decided to google "gas station Cappuccino" I found all sorts of things about it and NONE were good. I even found someone on the Cathe forum that said she was addicted to them. It was me all the way!!! So with all the googling. I found something VERY disturbing about these gas station drinks. Of the whopping 18 ingredients, 15 of them are the same as in a TWINKIE!! OMG I haven't ate a twinkie since I was a kid. They even called them the "liquid twinkie" I'm beside myself about it. I even told myself that this person was wrong and where in the heck are they getting their information. I mean this stuff is the high light of the end of my day. So at the grocery store on Sunday grabbed a container of Hills Bros. Cappuccino French Vanilla Mix. He said this has to be better then the gas station. I told him that it wouldn't taste the same. He disagreed. Well, I haven't tried it yet. Just wanted to share....... ~

I know nothing about cappuccinos (I don't like coffee in any form usually) but truly laughed out loud at the "liquid twinkie" comment! That sounds so awful but is hilarious too!

Saying goodbye to my Cappuccino

For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino about 4 days a week. I drink about 8 oz of a 12 oz cup. Not sure what made me look it up, but the other day I decided to google "gas station Cappuccino" I found all sorts of things about it and NONE were good. I even found someone on the Cathe forum that said she was addicted to them. It was me all the way!!!

So with all the googling. I found something VERY disturbing about these gas station drinks. Of the whopping 18 ingredients, 15 of them are the same as in a TWINKIE!! OMG I haven't ate a twinkie since I was a kid. They even called them the "liquid twinkie" I'm beside myself about it. I even told myself that this person was wrong and where in the heck are they getting their information. I mean this stuff is the high light of the end of my day.

So at the grocery store on Sunday grabbed a container of Hills Bros. Cappuccino French Vanilla Mix. He said this has to be better then the gas station. I told him that it wouldn't taste the same. He disagreed. Well, I haven't tried it yet.

Just wanted to share.......

~

but truly laughed out loud at the "liquid twinkie" comment! That sounds so awful but is hilarious too!

LOL I know!! And to think I've been drinking these DAILY almost for several years. The saddest part is that I want one now lol.

~

LOL again!!!! Too funny, !

but truly laughed out loud at the "liquid twinkie" comment! That sounds so awful but is hilarious too!

LOL I know!! And to think I've been drinking these DAILY almost for several years. The saddest part is that I want one now lol.

~

Ooh - I had a thought, . If you like the flavored coffees, why not try Carnation Natural Bliss (comes in Vanilla and Caramel) - it is available in grocery stores in the dairy section - it is made with milk, "natural" flavoring and sugar and is only 35 calories per serving (I think a tablespoon is a serving, you will probably need to double that to two so 70 calories added to your coffee - still probably better than the cappuccinos!). You can add it to the coffee you make at home and at least it doesn't have hydrogenated oils and other weird chemicals!! I'm more of a coffee purist in that I just add a little milk, maybe some sugar or cinnamon once in awhile, but I tried out the Natural Bliss on a whim and it wasn't bad for those times when I want something a little sweeter/creamier.

As you can tell, I'm a big coffee hound! :)Donna

Subject: Re: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: exercisevideos Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 7:02 PM

~

> For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino

> about 4 days a week.

hi michelle!

can you look at the machine and see what brand it is , and ask

the clerk to see the package of ingreds that they put into the

machine, maybe it will have some info on it that will help.

maybe the company has a website, email or phone and you can make

an inquiry.

i love (way too much) the cappuccino from tim hortons... it comes

in french vanilla or english toffee!! i was drinking one of

those every day (8 oz)... NOTHING tastes as good and ive tried

the maxwell house (i think it was) capp in the little can at home

and the nescafe packets, and while they were ok, they are just

not the same!

i could make them better by adding splenda, vanilla, milk, etc...

but that got frustrating.

so now i limit myself to one x-small timmys capp (6 oz) once

or twice a week as a treat. the counts for this capp are: 10

ounces-250 cals-8g fat-sugar 31g-56mg caffiene (a plain cup of

coffee is 100mg caffiene). this is also high in sodium.

at home i drink regular coffee but i like coffee mate double

double liquid in it (has hydrogenated coconut oil in it) i use 2

tblspoon - 80 cals-3g fat-10g sugar

so this is what i do instead of the capps.

hope this helps a bit,

:*carolyn.

If you like the flavored coffees, why not try Carnation Natural Bliss (comes in Vanilla and Caramel)

This sounds very good, but the problem is that I drink these cappuccinos in the evening while watching TV and they have very little caffeine in them. So I wouldn't actually drink my coffee I have during the day (which is black) in the evening or I would be up all night.

~

at home i drink regular coffee but i like coffee mate double double liquid in it (has hydrogenated coconut oil in it) i use 2 tblspoon - 80 cals-3g fat-10g sugarso this is what i do instead of the capps.

I looked it up online and that's where I found all the bad stuff about it. I'm going to try to just not even get them anymore. The "liquid twinkie" keeps coming up in my head. It's so hard to not have something hot and sweet at night while watching TV. My cappuccino and TV went hand in hand. Like I told Donna, I don't want to drink actual coffee because I think it would keep me up, which I'm thinking the stuff I drank last night might've contributed to my sleep.

~

Hi!Can you try decaf coffee? It still has a little caffeine...I know, it is so hard to give these things up!!! But, in the case of these cappuccinos, I think you're doing the right thing b/c they are all full of chemicals and hydrogenated oils - so really not good for you.

Donna

Subject: Re: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoTo: exercisevideos Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 10:40 AM

If you like the flavored coffees, why not try Carnation Natural Bliss (comes in Vanilla and Caramel)

This sounds very good, but the problem is that I drink these cappuccinos in the evening while watching TV and they have very little caffeine in them. So I wouldn't actually drink my coffee I have during the day (which is black) in the evening or I would be up all night.

~

OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy. Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up. It wouldn't have too much caffeine (I don't think b/c tea has less than coffee...) or maybe you can get it in decaf?Donna> For many years now I've been getting a gas station Cappuccino> about 4 days a week.hi michelle!can you look at the machine and see what brand it is , and ask the clerk to see the package of ingreds that they put into the machine, maybe it will have some info on it that will help. maybe the company has a website, email or phone and you can make an inquiry.i love (way too much) the cappuccino from tim hortons... it comes in french vanilla or english toffee!! i was drinking one of those every day (8 oz)... NOTHING tastes as good and ive tried the maxwell house (i think it was) capp in the little can at home and the nescafe packets, and while they were ok, they are just not the same!i could

make them better by adding splenda, vanilla, milk, etc... but that got frustrating.so now i limit myself to one x-small timmys capp (6 oz) once or twice a week as a treat. the counts for this capp are: 10 ounces-250 cals-8g fat-sugar 31g-56mg caffiene (a plain cup of coffee is 100mg caffiene). this is also high in sodium.at home i drink regular coffee but i like coffee mate double double liquid in it (has hydrogenated coconut oil in it) i use 2 tblspoon - 80 cals-3g fat-10g sugarso this is what i do instead of the capps.hope this helps a bit,:*carolyn.

Can you try decaf coffee? It still has a little caffeine...

Yeah, I thought about getting decaf. I might look into it. Yes, it is so hard because I've been so use to having them every night. My daughter said she doesn't see the big deal. She says that's what I enjoy and I haven't gained any weight by drinking them lol. I told her its not about the weight so much. I try to eat strict Mon- Fri and then I drink those things at night? (sigh)

~

OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy. Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up. It wouldn't have too much caffeine (I don't think b/c tea has less than coffee...) or maybe you can get it in decaf?

Hmm, have never tried it. Thanks Donna. Keep sending the suggestions, I'm taking all I can get lol.

~

Many, many, many (and so on) WW members have a problem with eating in front of the TV or just when relaxing doing anything at night. I am one of them too! I learned to substitute (mostly) healthier choices (like 94% fat free microwave popcorn) or use that as a time for a planned, sweet indulgence, like yours. It isn't easy at all to just quit doing it if that is a long-term habit and you're not really wanting to change it either. Instead, finding a good substitute is the best plan. I'm no help with coffee suggestions, just know I feel your pain! :-)

Can you try decaf coffee? It still has a little caffeine...

Yeah, I thought about getting decaf. I might look into it. Yes, it is so hard because I've been so use to having them every night. My daughter said she doesn't see the big deal. She says that's what I enjoy and I haven't gained any weight by drinking them lol. I told her its not about the weight so much. I try to eat strict Mon- Fri and then I drink those things at night? (sigh)

~

> OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is

> sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy.

> Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up.

now that sounds interesting donna... thanks i will make a note of

it. i think that i have seen the tazo brand here. i was

talking to my dr yesterday and she was saying that she only

drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no

timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL

:*carolyn.

i was talking to my dr yesterday and she was saying that she only drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL

She must not have a sweet tooth lol. I'd have it made if hot water was all I wanted......hot?

~

Hi!Tazo makes a concentrate and I think Oregon Chai (or something like that) makes one also. I prefer the Tazo b/c it isn't as sweet as the Oregon. There are powdered versions, but they contain the much dreaded hydrogenated oils!

Ok - since we're on the subject of this - I'm going to make a pledge to give up my daily coffee runs - it is costing me about $2 per day - and I can save that up over the course of the month to get something more worth-while or to save $ (since that is one of my 2012 goals!). I usually only stop for coffee on the days I work in the office - so 3X per week - $6 per week, four weeks = $24! It is more of a habit/comfort thing as I rarely finish the whole cup (I usually have a cup or two at home) . Nutritionally, it isn't bad b/c I don' t get the fancy drinks, just the basic....

Donna > OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is> sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy.> Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up.now that sounds interesting donna... thanks i will make a note of it. i think that i have seen the tazo brand here. i was talking to my dr yesterday and she was saying that she only drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL:*carolyn.

Donna do u have a coffee maker that auto turns on in the morning?  I make a thermos to take to work every morning, coffee is brewing as I stumble down the stairs.  I like my own coffee better than bucky's mine is made to taste .  I grind the beans fresh the night before in the magic bullet.  Hugs!  Happy java!

Hi!Tazo makes a concentrate and I think Oregon Chai (or something like that) makes one also.  I prefer the Tazo b/c it isn't as sweet as the Oregon.  There are powdered versions, but they contain the much dreaded hydrogenated oils!  

Ok - since we're on the subject of this - I'm going to make a pledge to give up my daily coffee runs - it is costing me about $2 per day - and I can save that up over the course of the month to get something more worth-while or to save $ (since that is one of my 2012 goals!). I usually only stop for coffee on the days I work in the office - so 3X per week - $6 per week, four weeks = $24!  It is more of a habit/comfort thing as I rarely finish the whole cup (I usually have a cup or two at home) .  Nutritionally, it isn't bad b/c I don' t get the fancy drinks, just the basic....

Donna > > OOH - just thought of something, why not try C...

Good for you Donna. I was spending about $5 a week for my liquid twinkies. You all would be proud of me. I had hot blueberry tea last night with fresh blueberries dropped down in it. Did I like it? It was ok. Lol ~~ Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone----- Reply message -----To: <exercisevideos >Subject: Saying goodbye to my CappuccinoDate: Wed, Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm Hi!Tazo makes a concentrate and I think Oregon Chai (or something like that) makes one also. I prefer the Tazo b/c it isn't as sweet as the Oregon. There are powdered versions, but they contain the much dreaded hydrogenated oils! Ok - since we're on the subject of this - I'm going to make a pledge to give up my daily coffee runs - it is costing me about $2 per day - and I can save that up over the course of the month to get something more worth-while or to save $ (since that is one of my 2012 goals!). I usually only stop for coffee on the days I work in the office - so 3X per week - $6 per week, four weeks = $24! It is more of a habit/comfort thing as I rarely finish the whole cup (I usually have a cup or two at home) . Nutritionally, it isn't bad b/c I don' t get the fancy drinks, just the basic.... Donna > OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is> sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy.> Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up.now that sounds interesting donna... thanks i will make a note of it. i think that i have seen the tazo brand here. i was talking to my dr yesterday and she was saying that she only drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL:*carolyn.

Humans are creatures of habit. If you have one thing every night, you start to

become accustomed to it enough that you start looking forward to it. I used to

hate salads. I've been bringing salad for lunch steadily for almost a year now.

If I don't get my lunch salad, I feel that " something is missing. "

It'll take time, but eventually the tea, or whatever you use as a substitute,

will eventually become " the regular. "

Indyrose

> OOH - just thought of something, why

not try Chai Tea? It is> sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it

creamy.> Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up.now

that sounds interesting donna... thanks i will make a note of it. i think that i

have seen the tazo brand here. i was talking to my dr yesterday and she was

saying that she only drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no

timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL:*carolyn.

>

Ooh - the blueberry tea sounds good. I also think Indy is right about habits, I pick up my morning coffee as "habit" b/c at the point where I pick it up - I don't even need or really want it and I dump half of it anyway. I'm going to try to do without it. I make coffee at home and have 1-2 cups there, so I should be fine....Donna> OOH - just thought of something, why not try Chai Tea? It is> sweet and spicy and you can put milk in it to make it creamy.> Tazo has a concentrate that you mix 50/50 w/ milk and warm it up.now that sounds interesting donna... thanks i will make a note of it. i think that i have seen the tazo brand here. i was talking to my dr yesterday and she was saying that she only drinks plain hot water. no coffee, no tea and certainly no timmie's cappuccino. sounds fine but sooo boring! LOL:*carolyn.

Hi!I do the same thing - set it all up the night before. I had a fancy programmable coffee maker, but it broke, so I brought up the old reliable basic Braun. I just have to turn it on myself, but that is no biggie. I like to grind mine fresh, too, and also like it better than Starbucks (although, if you have Panera, their coffee is REALLY good, better than Starbucks...)

Donna> > OOH - just thought of something, why not try C...