RemedySpot.com

Re: Capsules and Shell of implants question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The capsule contains the implant material in polyurethane and textured saline implants but only a small amount of silicone in smooth wall implants (a ratio of one to a thousand comparing smooth saline to silicone gel). Even removing all the capsule is sometimes not sufficient in order to remove the foreign material. I have seen a second capsule form from the microscopic material out in the breast tissue or muscle not removed with the en bloc capsulectomy. .

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 5:14 PM

Subject: Capsules and Shell of implants question

To all,

One person explained to me recently that the 'capsule' is the scar tissue that surrounds the implant and everybody gets them. Upon reading all the information pertaining to the importance of having them removed, sometimes it sounds as though the doctors are literally leaving the shell of an 'emptied' implant inside. My thoughts tell me that this is not so and that what I'm reading is only referring to the actual scar tissue left behind when the implants are not removed 'en bloc'.

Can anyone confirm or clarify that the capsule is the body's own scar tissue and not including 'the shell' of the implant?

Thanks,

The scar capsule is tissue that your body forms around the implant to "wall" it off from the rest of your body. It is correct that everyone makes (gets) them. It is also true that some doctors leave the scar capsule inside your body upon explant, because they do not understand the importance of removing this scar tissue that your body makes. Sometimes they think are doing a favor by leaving it in, because it will help fill out the breast more if there is a loss of tissue, and help the woman cope with the loss of her implants. It is a dangerous gamble to do that, and may in fact prevent a woman from regaining her health. That is why we talk about the importance of having a total capsulectomy, and/or having implants removed with the "en bloc" technique.

In some instances of silicone gel implants that have ruptured, the actual shell of the implant has degraded to the point that it is hard to identify within the mass of goo. This has been noted in cases where women have been asked to identify their implant manufacturer for the lawsuit against Dow, and it has been impossible to do so because the shell of the implant was no longer viable.

However, with saline implants, that is not the case. But we all need to be concerned about having the scar tissue completely removed to have the best chance at regaining full health.

Patty

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 2:14 PM

To all,

One person explained to me recently that the 'capsule' is the scar tissue that surrounds the implant and everybody gets them. Upon reading all the information pertaining to the importance of having them removed, sometimes it sounds as though the doctors are literally leaving the shell of an 'emptied' implant inside. My thoughts tell me that this is not so and that what I'm reading is only referring to the actual scar tissue left behind when the implants are not removed 'en bloc'.

Can anyone confirm or clarify that the capsule is the body's own scar tissue and not including 'the shell' of the implant?

Thanks,

Where do you get this statistic on smooth vs. textured shell implants? Is this documented and if so where? Also does the amount of actual microscopic silicone in the capsule necessarily have anything to do with ones systemic illness?

Also why did you choose to keep your capsules when you had your silicone implants removed if you were so sick from them? Aren't you worried about having the capsule in your body from leaking gel implants?

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 8:51 PM

Subject: Re: Capsules and Shell of implants question

The capsule contains the implant material in polyurethane and textured saline implants but only a small amount of silicone in smooth wall implants (a ratio of one to a thousand comparing smooth saline to silicone gel). Even removing all the capsule is sometimes not sufficient in order to remove the foreign material. I have seen a second capsule form from the microscopic material out in the breast tissue or muscle not removed with the en bloc capsulectomy. .

To all,

Thanks,

: I didn't choose to keep my capsules. I requested they be removed and my surgeons chose not to remove them entirely because of the difficulty. The statistics I quoted are from the medical literature. If you do a literature search you may be able to retrieve the article. It was probably in PPRS. Read Dr. Feng's articles for the answer to whether capsular silicone has anything to do with the body's exposure to the silicone no longer retained. .

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 1:07 AM

Where do you get this statistic on smooth vs. textured shell implants? Is this documented and if so where? Also does the amount of actual microscopic silicone in the capsule necessarily have anything to do with ones systemic illness?

Also why did you choose to keep your capsules when you had your silicone implants removed if you were so sick from them? Aren't you worried about having the capsule in your body from leaking gel implants?

To all,

Thanks,

I am surprised that there wasn't a PS who could get the capsules out, I also am surprised that you were so sick and chose to have implants put in again, can you tell us why or is this too personal for you to discuss, I understand, I mean I wanted to keep the implants too or even get new ones, but after all I learned it just seemed to scary and risky to me.

Were you extremely ill from your implants? Weren't you worried about staying ill or even getting worse?

I do not doubt the statistics or fact that retained silicone can cause health problems, my issue was with the statistic and I will quote you here

"The capsule contains the implant material in polyurethane and textured saline implants but only a small amount of silicone in smooth wall implants (a ratio of one to a thousand comparing smooth saline to silicone gel). "

Where is the proof that smooth implants do not cause these problems, that is what I was referring to , is there an article or some documentation of this somewhere, if so I would like to read it.

My implanting PS was very adamant that there is not a big difference in smooth vs. textured that they are made of the same material and that one just has a roughened surface. While I do believe the textured are worse, I still am not at all convinced that smooth are any better because of the fact that I have met so many women ill from them some are even more ill than I ever was, some completely bedridden from smooth saline only, so this concerns me allot and I would love to see the actual statistic or studies on this that exist.

Thanks allot for this info.

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 5:54 AM

: I didn't choose to keep my capsules. I requested they be removed and my surgeons chose not to remove them entirely because of the difficulty. The statistics I quoted are from the medical literature. If you do a literature search you may be able to retrieve the article. It was probably in PPRS. Read Dr. Feng's articles for the answer to whether capsular silicone has anything to do with the body's exposure to the silicone no longer retained. .

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 1:07 AM

To all,

Thanks,

I was told that breast implant " scar " tissue is

different from normal scar tissue because it has a

blood supply.

.. . . . making it easier to distribute implant toxins

throughout ones body.

Rogene

--- DanzButterflies@... wrote:

> To all,

> One person explained to me recently that the

> 'capsule' is the scar tissue that surrounds the

> implant and everybody gets them. Upon reading all