RemedySpot.com

Re: Rev Abs: Total Strength (45 minutes)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sounds like a good workout, , fun! What do you mean by "front loaded" though? Thanks!

Rev Abs: Total Strength (45 minutes)

It's so cold and wet outside, they are predicting snow soon. As much as I want to go run, it's blechy out there! Also, I miss Studio LouLou, and decided to try 2 virgin workouts in Beachbody's Rev Abs series, led by Brett Hoebel (who was a trainer for one season on The Biggest Loser)Total Strength is 45 minutes long and has 3 rounds of the same exercises, all 15-16 reps each, though on the 3rd round there is some "spice" as he calls it. Here is what you do and what I used:

Reverse dumbell lunges, held front loaded. I used 10's. On the spice round you add an overhead press

Pushups. On the spice round you add a side plank

Front Squats, front loaded. I used 15's. Spice = add a military press Bent over Rows, I used 15's, on the spice round you hold a towel between your legs and squeeze. I used a 3 lb pilates ball instead.

Pullovers in a bridge position. Spice round = do with an alternating single leg punch combination - I really liked this part, a quick punching combination with jumping jacks

The music is just ordinary,. yet Brett sometimes yells, "DJ turn it up!" as if it were really good. He also after each rep will sometimes say "Uh Huh!" which gets old fast. He says, "Ah snap!" here and there. Not a big deal whatsoever because he's a wonderful instructor, mirrors his cueing and cues well! There is a modifier in the background too.

This is a Phase 1 workout in the series so it wasn't super hard, but it was just what I needed after 2 rest days in a row. I might go to the gym later with Will for biceps and triceps, we'll see..

It was nice!  Nothing to write home about, but it was nice.  Front loaded means holding the weights up kind of up by but below your chin in an inverted V to keep your arms engaged while doing the lunge exercises. 

HTH!

Sounds like a good workout, , fun! What do you mean by " front loaded " though? Thanks!

It's so cold and wet outside, they are predicting snow soon.  As much as I want to go run, it's blechy out there!   Also, I miss Studio LouLou, and decided to try 2 virgin workouts in Beachbody's Rev Abs series, led by Brett Hoebel (who was a trainer for one season on The Biggest Loser)Total Strength is 45 minutes long and has 3 rounds of the same exercises, all 15-16 reps each, though on the 3rd round there is some " spice " as he calls it.  Here is what you do and what I used:

Reverse dumbell lunges, held front loaded.  I used 10's.  On the spice round you add an overhead press

Pushups.  On the spice round you add a side plank

Front Squats, front loaded.  I used 15's.  Spice = add a military press Bent over Rows, I used 15's, on the spice round you hold a towel between your legs and squeeze.  I used a 3 lb pilates ball instead.

Pullovers in a bridge position.  Spice round = do with an alternating single leg punch combination - I really liked this part, a quick punching combination with jumping jacks

The music is just ordinary,. yet Brett sometimes yells, " DJ turn it up! " as if it were really good.  He also after each rep will sometimes say " Uh Huh! " which gets old fast.  He says, " Ah snap! " here and there.  Not a big deal whatsoever because he's a wonderful instructor, mirrors his cueing and cues well!  There is a modifier in the background too.

This is a Phase 1 workout in the series so it wasn't super hard, but it was just what I needed after 2 rest days in a row.   I might go to the gym later with Will for biceps and triceps, we'll see..

Sometimes those "just nice" workouts are just what you need, sounds like it worked well for you. Thanks for the info too, I've never heard this term! What does it do for you as opposed to holding the weights at your sides (or on your shoulders)? Sounds like it makes it more challenging.

It's so cold and wet outside, they are predicting snow soon. As much as I want to go run, it's blechy out there! Also, I miss Studio LouLou, and decided to try 2 virgin workouts in Beachbody's Rev Abs series, led by Brett Hoebel (who was a trainer for one season on The Biggest Loser)Total Strength is 45 minutes long and has 3 rounds of the same exercises, all 15-16 reps each, though on the 3rd round there is some "spice" as he calls it. Here is what you do and what I used:

Reverse dumbell lunges, held front loaded. I used 10's. On the spice round you add an overhead press Pushups. On the spice round you add a side plank Front Squats, front loaded. I used 15's. Spice = add a military press Bent over Rows, I used 15's, on the spice round you hold a towel between your legs and squeeze. I used a 3 lb pilates ball instead. Pullovers in a bridge position. Spice round = do with an alternating single leg punch combination - I really liked this part, a quick punching combination with jumping jacks

The music is just ordinary,. yet Brett sometimes yells, "DJ turn it up!" as if it were really good. He also after each rep will sometimes say "Uh Huh!" which gets old fast. He says, "Ah snap!" here and there. Not a big deal whatsoever because he's a wonderful instructor, mirrors his cueing and cues well! There is a modifier in the background too.

This is a Phase 1 workout in the series so it wasn't super hard, but it was just what I needed after 2 rest days in a row. I might go to the gym later with Will for biceps and triceps, we'll see..

Instead of just letting the weights hang at your sides you are engaging your arm muscles to hold the dumbells up by your chin.  As for me, I normally would just let them hang to assist with balance and to focus more on my lower body since that is the targeted muscle group, but that's just me.

I did want to follow Brett this first time through to get the full intended experience though . Next time I'll do my own mods and probably go way up in weight.I've been previewing these workouts and so far my reaction is just so-so.  I didn't pay full price for these so I'm not complaining. 

If I were brand new to exercise videos and had nothing to compare them to I would probably love them.  I don't think most of us here who post regularly would really be ga-ga over them though, having experienced so many other truly challenging and innovative workouts. 

I must say I do like the capoeira in it though!  And he does throw in a few phrases in Portuguese which as a language major I appreciate :)

> I've been previewing these workouts and so far my reaction is

> just so-so.

very interesting comments, thankyou laura. ive just never had

to urge to do these workouts.... i dont know why!!! maybe i

thought they would be too hard?! i dunno, the look of them just

hasnt excited me. but i do hope to give them a go sometime...

:*carolyn.

, I used to have RevAbs and did it for a month or so, but it got messed ip/lost in the tornado mess. I have to admit that I havent missed it. I liked it ok, but I'm like you, if I were new to exercise it would be good, but just not great enough for me to love it. I do like Brett and liked his exercises, but they were just "nice". :)TeenaSent from my iPhone

> just so-so.

• 3 weeks later...

I must be "new to exercise" because I liked Rev Abs when I did them. Right now I'm planning a Chalene rotation.Sorry so late....I'm behind at reading and responding to posts. Jen

> just so-so.