RemedySpot.com

Straw cup info/recommendation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

been meaning to post this for the parents of infants and toddlers for a while. We lost one of Etel's straw cups while visiting the U.S. August/Sept 2011. A relative did us a favor and went out to find something. He easily found something at Wal Mart- Nuby brand, BPA free, flip top straw cup. It did have a weird spill proof valve inside the straw, requiring the baby to use their teeth to hold it open (kind of not our goal with the straw cups) but I just cut the straw below that and now it's a great straw cup. It's a good design, doesn't spill, no interior ring to lose or mangle, has lasted a long time, and the straws (there are two that interlock) are short enough to clean the insides

with Q tips. The one downside is that for really little babies who are brand new to straw concept you cannot squeeze the liquid up (as you can with the HOney bear from TalkTools etc.) For squeezing up, you can also make a homemade straw cup. One DS organization in Utah gives them out in their welcome packages or else I may never have thought of it. The one I have is a hair color applicator bottle- #4 type plastic- LDPE, and when I looked it up, it's safe for cold liquids- (and same substance as the Honey bear cup uses, as far as I can tell with a quick internet search for honey bear plastic type) with tip cut to a tight fit, with silicone medical tubing. You can order extra or replacement silicone medical tubing off of home medical sites, or breast pump sites like selfexpressions.com as they are used with medela and ameda breast pumps. Make sure to get the clear

silicone type as the other type is cloudy and harder to see if stuff is growing/needs a good cleaning. Just thought I'd share! all the Best in Health,Liora Pearlman , ModeratorMomPlease consider calling me at 5130 3931 or texting 139 1030 6022 if it is time sensitive.