RemedySpot.com

Re: Where is the outrage

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I posted this on my facebook, no responses.... very sad. To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:42 PM Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage

Where is the Down syndrome association on THIS??

"They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.

“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.â€

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html

Killing babies no different from abortion, experts say

Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy

Guest guest

Ugh!!!!!!!!!I for one am outraged. How can they call themselves ethicists and say that killing infants is ok?????Sent from my iPhone

I posted this on my facebook, no responses.... very sad. To: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:42 PM Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage

"They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.

“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.â€

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html

Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy

Guest guest

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/un-sponsors-first-world-down-syndrome-day-greatest-threat-is-abortion/Sent from my iPhone

Ugh!!!!!!!!!I for one am outraged. How can they call themselves ethicists and say that killing infants is ok?????Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/un-sponsors-first-world-down-syndrome-day-greatest-threat-is-abortion/Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

I agree- this is horrific, and yet they have a point-  killing babies is no different from abortion;  the difference is that these misguided ethicists think it is because both are morally acceptable,  while we would say both acts are morally equivocal and unacceptable.    Sadly, as this article (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/academics-defense-of-infanticide-supported-by-pro-choice-logic/) points out, it is just a logical extension of traditional pro-choice arguments. Not to be too depressing, but as one of my husband’s colleagues in philosophy pointed out, paraphrasing Christian novelist Percy’s unpublished letter to the NY Times: “ Perhaps the most influential book published in German in the first quarter of [the twentieth] century was entitled The Justification of the Destruction of Life Devoid of Value.  Its co-authors were the distinguished jurist Karl Binding and the prominent psychiatrist Alfred Hoche.  Neither Binding nor Hoche had ever heard of Hitler or the Nazis.  Nor, in all likelihood did Hitler ever read the book.  He didn’t have to. The point is that the ideas expressed in the book and the policies advocated were the product not of Nazi ideology but rather the best minds of pre-Nazi Weimar Republic—physicians, social scientists, jurists, and the like, who with the best secular intentions wished to improve the lot, socially and genetically, of the German people—by getting rid of the unfit and the unwanted. It is hardly necessary to say what use the Nazis made of these ideas...†If history is any indication, this is a battle worth fighting. O’Callaghan From: DownSyndromeInfoExchange [mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of BorkowskiSent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:42 PMTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage Where is the Down syndrome association on THIS?? " They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.†http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html Killing babies no different from abortion, experts sayParents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued. A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy

Guest guest

I agree- this is horrific, and yet they have a point-  killing babies is no different from abortion;  the difference is that these misguided ethicists think it is because both are morally acceptable,  while we would say both acts are morally equivocal and unacceptable.    Sadly, as this article (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/academics-defense-of-infanticide-supported-by-pro-choice-logic/) points out, it is just a logical extension of traditional pro-choice arguments. Not to be too depressing, but as one of my husband’s colleagues in philosophy pointed out, paraphrasing Christian novelist Percy’s unpublished letter to the NY Times: “ Perhaps the most influential book published in German in the first quarter of [the twentieth] century was entitled The Justification of the Destruction of Life Devoid of Value.  Its co-authors were the distinguished jurist Karl Binding and the prominent psychiatrist Alfred Hoche.  Neither Binding nor Hoche had ever heard of Hitler or the Nazis.  Nor, in all likelihood did Hitler ever read the book.  He didn’t have to. The point is that the ideas expressed in the book and the policies advocated were the product not of Nazi ideology but rather the best minds of pre-Nazi Weimar Republic—physicians, social scientists, jurists, and the like, who with the best secular intentions wished to improve the lot, socially and genetically, of the German people—by getting rid of the unfit and the unwanted. It is hardly necessary to say what use the Nazis made of these ideas...†If history is any indication, this is a battle worth fighting. O’Callaghan From: DownSyndromeInfoExchange [mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of BorkowskiSent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:42 PMTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage Where is the Down syndrome association on THIS?? " They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.†http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html Killing babies no different from abortion, experts sayParents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued. A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy

Guest guest

Hi Everyone! I am more of a lurker but I had to comment. Hitler is exactly who came to mind when I read this. It is really scary. They need to drop a few of these academics into our lives to see the joys along with the heartaches with our children. I'm guessing they don't have anyone in their family and friends circles who have children with special needs. They need to be enlightened. I agree. This is a fight worth fighting.KellieSent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerrySender: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:34:56 -0500To: <DownSyndromeInfoExchange >ReplyTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: RE: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage I agree- this is horrific, and yet they have a point-  killing babies is no different from abortion;  the difference is that these misguided ethicists think it is because both are morally acceptable,  while we would say both acts are morally equivocal and unacceptable.    Sadly, as this article (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/academics-defense-of-infanticide-supported-by-pro-choice-logic/) points out, it is just a logical extension of traditional pro-choice arguments. Not to be too depressing, but as one of my husband’s colleagues in philosophy pointed out, paraphrasing Christian novelist Percy’s unpublished letter to the NY Times: “ Perhaps the most influential book published in German in the first quarter of [the twentieth] century was entitled The Justification of the Destruction of Life Devoid of Value.  Its co-authors were the distinguished jurist Karl Binding and the prominent psychiatrist Alfred Hoche.  Neither Binding nor Hoche had ever heard of Hitler or the Nazis.  Nor, in all likelihood did Hitler ever read the book.  He didn’t have to. The point is that the ideas expressed in the book and the policies advocated were the product not of Nazi ideology but rather the best minds of pre-Nazi Weimar Republic—physicians, social scientists, jurists, and the like, who with the best secular intentions wished to improve the lot, socially and genetically, of the German people—by getting rid of the unfit and the unwanted. It is hardly necessary to say what use the Nazis made of these ideas...†If history is any indication, this is a battle worth fighting. O’Callaghan From: DownSyndromeInfoExchange [mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of BorkowskiSent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:42 PMTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage Where is the Down syndrome association on THIS?? " They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.†http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html Killing babies no different from abortion, experts sayParents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued. A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy

Guest guest

Hi Everyone! I am more of a lurker but I had to comment. Hitler is exactly who came to mind when I read this. It is really scary. They need to drop a few of these academics into our lives to see the joys along with the heartaches with our children. I'm guessing they don't have anyone in their family and friends circles who have children with special needs. They need to be enlightened. I agree. This is a fight worth fighting.KellieSent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerrySender: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:34:56 -0500To: <DownSyndromeInfoExchange >ReplyTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: RE: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage I agree- this is horrific, and yet they have a point-  killing babies is no different from abortion;  the difference is that these misguided ethicists think it is because both are morally acceptable,  while we would say both acts are morally equivocal and unacceptable.    Sadly, as this article (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/academics-defense-of-infanticide-supported-by-pro-choice-logic/) points out, it is just a logical extension of traditional pro-choice arguments. Not to be too depressing, but as one of my husband’s colleagues in philosophy pointed out, paraphrasing Christian novelist Percy’s unpublished letter to the NY Times: “ Perhaps the most influential book published in German in the first quarter of [the twentieth] century was entitled The Justification of the Destruction of Life Devoid of Value.  Its co-authors were the distinguished jurist Karl Binding and the prominent psychiatrist Alfred Hoche.  Neither Binding nor Hoche had ever heard of Hitler or the Nazis.  Nor, in all likelihood did Hitler ever read the book.  He didn’t have to. The point is that the ideas expressed in the book and the policies advocated were the product not of Nazi ideology but rather the best minds of pre-Nazi Weimar Republic—physicians, social scientists, jurists, and the like, who with the best secular intentions wished to improve the lot, socially and genetically, of the German people—by getting rid of the unfit and the unwanted. It is hardly necessary to say what use the Nazis made of these ideas...†If history is any indication, this is a battle worth fighting. O’Callaghan From: DownSyndromeInfoExchange [mailto:DownSyndromeInfoExchange ] On Behalf Of BorkowskiSent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:42 PMTo: DownSyndromeInfoExchange Subject: [DownSyndromeInfoExchange] Where is the outrage Where is the Down syndrome association on THIS?? " They also argued that parents should be able to have the baby killed if it turned out to be disabled without their knowing before birth, for example citing that “only the 64 per cent of Down’s syndrome cases†in Europe are diagnosed by prenatal testing. Once such children were born there was “no choice for the parents but to keep the childâ€, they wrote.“To bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care.†http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html Killing babies no different from abortion, experts sayParents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant†and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued. A group of ethicists has argued that killing young babies is no different from abortion Photo: Alamy