RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: One Down 47 To Go

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Rick,

your honesty here is going to be very helpful for someone out there who is treating and maybe not stopping the drinking thinking that the treatment will still work. WE know that it wont but having someone who actually experienced it is more helpful than anything one of us mods could do.. so thank you!

Please tell that I will answer her email soon, it has been a very hectic couple of days around here and I have had much to take care of with my mom. IM glad that you guys are going to stay in Tampa through the holidays and just get everything all settled before you head back home.. Christmas can be christmas no matter where you are anyway as its all in your heart! But you know that already!

We just love it that you are back posting here Rick, we all missed you a lot and missed your wisdom and your sense of humor.. so welcome back honey!

love ya

jax

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 1:39 PM

Viral load did go to 0% all 3 times, but didn't stick. I must admit, however, that I never stopped the booze until AFTER the 3rd tx. So the idiot got caught, big time! I think the alchol was what got me through, though. Can't look back, guys and gals. We've all made stupid mistakes, as have those who don't have this disease. It's a big boat with plenty of room, and we're filling it faster and faster. FDA & parmaceutical companites need to get on the fast track now!> > >> > > Hi,> > > > > > > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

you're gonna make it this time Rick,, we'll be here to support you and melissa all the way!

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 10:51 AM

Hi, all! I went through 3 full 48 week treatments before my transplant on 9/12/08, and I'm sure I'll have to go through tx again in about a year. Very few liver recipients get away without another round. I don't look forward to it, but it sure beats the alternative! > > >> > > Hi,> > > > > > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a > > couple > > >> >>

Thats GREAT Penny! Yeah, I know 'those' headaches.. you did great hon and hopefully, this will be the only symptoms you'll have.. I've heard many say that the first shot was the worst,,

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 8:40 AM

Hi,I did take Tylenol 30 minutes before doing my shot. I didn't have any fever, chills, body aches, or anything. This morning I did wake up with a bit of a headache, but it isn't any different than the headaches I get now and then anyway. It will be easy to drink enough water because I am sooooo thirsty!!Penny> > From: preciouspenny3 <preciouspenny3@ ...>> Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] One Down 47 To Go> To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com> Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:58 PM> > > > > > > Hi,> > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a couple > of hours, though. My friend, who has done the treatment two times and > also has cirrhosis came over to help me with it, to give support, and > pray with me

that everything will go well. Afterwards, we watched a > video of her jumping out of a plane when she went sky diving a few > years ago. That was so cool! My brother and I always wanted to do > that, but we never did. I think my doctors would frown on that now > after having a transplant.. .lol.> > We also took a lot of photos of the two of us afterwards. We just kind > of made a little fun party out of it. She will be helping me next week > and the week after too. My husband didn't even want to be in the same > room. He hates needles.> > I hope it all goes well with minimal side effects.> > Penny>

That was pretty much my experience, bad shivers and flu

symptoms about 7 hours after my first injection and the following

injections were far easier.. I wish easy for all on treatment..

yeaaaaa, Penny. congrats on your 1st shot. i take my 3rd shot this friday and i think there are at least 2 others here on their 3rd or 4th shot.i had bad shivers after about 6 hours of my first shot and no side effects the second but i don't expect that to be the norm AT ALL.i only have to do the 26 week thing but at least it has begun.congrats again.

I am on my 4th shot on Friday with 44 to go. Its going fast and I spoke to a friend last night who completed his 48 weeks about 5 months ago. He has been undecteded. He was amazed that I was working full time and sounded full of energy. So truly everyone is difference and in different stages. We need each other. I start my zolof today and I am not looking forward to it. Has anyone had really bad bone pain in their hips? Since I had the Procrit monday it started and hurts to even touch, What the heck??

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 9:40 PM

yeaaaaa, Penny. congrats on your 1st shot. i take my 3rd shot this friday and i think there are at least 2 others here on their 3rd or 4th shot.i had bad shivers after about 6 hours of my first shot and no side effects the second but i don't expect that to be the norm AT ALL.i only have to do the 26 week thing but at least it has begun.congrats again.

sounds like you will be ok hon.. yeah, you gotta drink the fluids but if you drink too much at one time, it can make you vomit.. I had that happen to me one time when we were at a health fair,, my hubby carried me to the bathroom because all of a sudden, I got so nauseous that I didnt think I could make it to the bathroom fast enough and this man, picked me up and ran to the bathroom with me and I DID make it in time,, thank God, how embarrassing that would have been! lol..

So try to drink your water over a longer period of time.. and not at the same time you're trying to eat food,, it can take up all the room you have for food and then you're not so hungry.. I had the same thing when on tx , the not wanting sugar as much,, wish I felt that way NOW, lol,, I also had a revulsion to a lot of things, and my diet consisted of little fruit cups, toast and peanut butter, string cheese etc.. I found that things that I loved before tx tasted awful while on tx,, and it seemed that everything looked and smelled right but did not tast right,, I lost 70 pounds on tx which I really needed to lose.. I gained it all back but then a few years ago, I got serious and went on Medi-fast and lost 40 pounds and so far have kept it all off. One of these days, Ill get serious about losing the rest.. Right now, I eat only one meal per day which I KNOW is contributing to my inability to lose weight but I still have no appetite.. oh well,,

I guess there are worse things in life huh? IM still clear and this feb with will be 6 years since I finished tx.. and I was undetectible at week 12 so its been nearly 7 years since I killed this virus.. IM grateful every day for that because I dont ever want to have to do that treatment again,,

Thats too bad about your husband losing his job and needing help with his cholesterol. Will he be able to continue with his health insurance via cobra? There are many alternative things he can do to help lower his cholesterol but when you buy alternatives, there are no insurance companies that cover them so you have to buy them yourself.. I have chol issues myself that have seemed to rise more and more each year since I finished tx altho I dont consume a lot of fat.. it runs in my family.. my doc wants me on statins but I refuse becuase I know how bad they are for the liver.. So Im doing some alternative things, in fact one of the girls here on the forum told me about the very product that my husband and I am using.. We havent checked our chol again but will do so soon.. IM hoping that my numbers will come down.. My doc drives me nuts because altho she is a trained DO which in Calif is the same as an MD, Do's have more education in

alternative health care but she is a died in the wool prescription drug pusher.. lol,, so we argue alot about this stuff.. oh well,,

anyway, Im glad you're doing well and just remember to drink fluids all day, dont try to get it all down at once,,

keep us posted as to how you are doing! WE're all here pulling for ya !

hugs

jax

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 1:14 PM

If the first shot is the worst, then the rest should be a piece of cake, I hope. I thought I was getting by easy with the treatmentbecause I didn't have any fever, chills, or body aches Tuesday overnight after the shot. I did, however, wake up with a bit of aheadache yesterday morning like I mentioned before. As the day went on, it got worse. Finally, around 3:00, I was nauseous and had a big surprise...lost my cookies... all water. I was drinking a lot of water because I was so thirsty, and they stress that you should drink half your body weight in ounces when you're on treatment. I already drink at least 8 glasses a day since they stressed that after the transplant, that I must stay hydrated. I was nauseous off and on ever since. My coordinator said the first 24 hours after the shot are the worst. I ate supper, one tiny piece at a time, having to take a deep breath between each bite because each

bite made me nauseous. I started getting a back ache yesterday too, but that's not a big deal. I hardly noticed it. My husband called my coordinator when I got sick, and she said I was drinking too much water, to not drink so much. I started feeling much better by bed time, and ate the rest of my supper that I couldn't finish earlier.Today, I feel really good, except I am tired. My appetite is still good, but I'm not liking my sweets as much as I did, which isn't a bad thing.My husband was let go from his job because of cut backs, so nowhe will be getting unemployment and money will really be tight. Hisjob has been getting really hard on his body anyway, and he has beeninjured on the job a couple of times and has a Workman's Comp claimin, so I think that has something to do with why he lost his job too. He now has high cholesterol too that he needs meds for, and he won'thave any

insurance. I have Medicare, so I'm taken care of. I'm not too worried about it. Things will work out.Thanks everyone for all your support.Penny> > > > From: preciouspenny3 <preciouspenny3@ ...>> > Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] One Down 47 To Go> > To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com> > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:58 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi,> > > > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a > couple > > of hours, though. My friend, who

has done the treatment two times > and > > also has cirrhosis came over to help me with it, to give support, > and > > pray with me that everything will go well. Afterwards, we watched a > > video of her jumping out of a plane when she went sky diving a few > > years ago. That was so cool! My brother and I always wanted to do > > that, but we never did. I think my doctors would frown on that now > > after having a transplant.. .lol.> > > > We also took a lot of photos of the two of us afterwards. We just > kind > > of made a little fun party out of it. She will be helping me next > week > > and the week after too. My husband didn't even want to be in the > same > > room. He hates needles.> > > > I hope it all goes well with minimal side effects.> > > >

Penny> >>

Penny, there are supplements to help with chol that will not affect the liver,, statins dont work as well as they'd like us to believe..lol.. Red Rice Yeast works like a statin but it also has some of the side effects as well,, There is also a product called BiosLife2 that is PROVEN to lower cholesterol if taken properly. you can find that over the internet. There is also Cholestoff a product he can get at the local drug store that is helpful in lowering chol as well, there are LOTS of options that work that are NOT statins.. The doc he is seeing IS talking about putting him on a statin because that is ALL they know to do.. but your liver has as one of its job to manufacture cholesterol and the statins stop the liver from doing its job and how healthy can THAT BE? What IM taking now is CholestaCare with Fibrosure. I cannot speak how it is working yet

because I havent checked my levels yet as I have only been on it for a little over a month, I want to check it in another 2 months at the 3 month level.

If you give me permission to email you privately, I will send you info on some of the above items. I dont want to email privately unless you want me to so thats why Im asking.

Please be careful with the statins tho, the docs ALL push them.. and they should be the last resort,, he can change his diet too and add lots of both soluable and insoluable fiber to help as well,,

jax

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 2:28 PM

I know all about having no appetite. I only ate one meal a day for years when I had no appetite. After my transplant, that changed, and it was so good to eat again, especially after the last few months before the transplant when I was so sick and lost my cookies several times a day and couldn't hardly eat at all. My husband's insurance will last through the end of the year, but then it's done. The doctor wants him to take a medication that says it may increase his liver enzymes for his cholesterol, and I don't like that. Even though he is pretty healthy, I don't think he should take something that can do that. There has to be other medications that don't do that.Thanks again for all your support.Penny> > > > > > From: preciouspenny3 <preciouspenny3@ ...>> > > Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] One Down 47 To Go> > > To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com>

> > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:58 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi,> > > > > > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a > > couple > > > of hours, though. My friend, who has done the treatment two times > > and > > > also has cirrhosis came over to help me with it, to give support, > > and > > > pray with me that everything will go well. Afterwards, we watched > a > > > video of her jumping out of a plane when she went sky diving a > few > > > years ago. That was so cool! My brother and I always wanted to do > > > that, but we never did. I think my doctors would frown on that > now > > > after having a transplant.. .lol.> >

> > > > We also took a lot of photos of the two of us afterwards. We just > > kind > > > of made a little fun party out of it. She will be helping me next > > week > > > and the week after too. My husband didn't even want to be in the > > same > > > room. He hates needles.> > > > > > I hope it all goes well with minimal side effects.> > > > > > Penny> > >> >>

yes LInda, I had severe bone pain in my hips, butt and thighs,, those are the main major bones that make new blood cells,, so if you're taking procrit, its stimulating the marrow to make more blood.. ask your doc for something for the increased pain! I had to and he gave me norco and it really helped!

From: Bob <unclebutchyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 9:40 PM

I drank liquid supplements when I didn't feel like I could eat.

That might be something that you might try.

And ya know I didn't lose that much weight while on treatment. LOL

Because I took everybody advice about what to eat while on treatment. I ended up losing my weight afterward when I found out I was diabetic.

Even slim fast would work. Walmart has a generic brand for diabetics and it is very good. I like the strawberry and then I blend a banana in it for flavor and texture. Put a couple of ice cubes in and it taste like a good smoothie.

That might be something you want to try when you are having one of those days and ya just don't feel like you can eat any thing.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:14:02 PMSubject: Re: One Down 47 To Go

If the first shot is the worst, then the rest should be a piece of cake, I hope. I thought I was getting by easy with the treatmentbecause I didn't have any fever, chills, or body aches Tuesday overnight after the shot. I did, however, wake up with a bit of aheadache yesterday morning like I mentioned before. As the day went on, it got worse. Finally, around 3:00, I was nauseous and had a big surprise...lost my cookies... all water. I was drinking a lot of water because I was so thirsty, and they stress that you should drink half your body weight in ounces when you're on treatment. I already drink at least 8 glasses a day since they stressed that after the transplant, that I must stay hydrated. I was nauseous off and on ever since. My coordinator said the first 24 hours after the shot are the worst. I ate supper, one tiny piece at a time, having to take a deep breath between each bite because each

bite made me nauseous. I started getting a back ache yesterday too, but that's not a big deal. I hardly noticed it. My husband called my coordinator when I got sick, and she said I was drinking too much water, to not drink so much. I started feeling much better by bed time, and ate the rest of my supper that I couldn't finish earlier.Today, I feel really good, except I am tired. My appetite is still good, but I'm not liking my sweets as much as I did, which isn't a bad thing.My husband was let go from his job because of cut backs, so nowhe will be getting unemployment and money will really be tight. Hisjob has been getting really hard on his body anyway, and he has beeninjured on the job a couple of times and has a Workman's Comp claimin, so I think that has something to do with why he lost his job too. He now has high cholesterol too that he needs meds for, and he won'thave any

insurance. I have Medicare, so I'm taken care of. I'm not too worried about it. Things will work out.Thanks everyone for all your support.Penny> > > > From: preciouspenny3 <preciouspenny3@ ...>> > Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] One Down 47 To Go> > To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com> > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:58 PM> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > Hi,> > > > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a > couple > > of hours, though. My friend, who has done the treatment two times > and > > also has cirrhosis came over to help me with it, to give support, > and > > pray with me that everything will go well. Afterwards, we watched a > > video of her jumping out of a plane when she went sky diving a few > > years ago. That was so cool! My brother and I always wanted to do > > that, but we never did. I think my doctors would frown on that now > > after having a transplant.. .lol.> > > > We also took a lot of photos of the two of us afterwards. We just > kind > > of made a little fun party out of it. She will be helping me next > week > > and the week after too. My husband didn't even want to be

in the > same > > room. He hates needles.> > > > I hope it all goes well with minimal side effects.> > > > Penny> >>

Carnation Instant Breakfast...smoothies. yum

Orange Julius with fruit. yum

Hot cereal is good to settle your stomach and give you nutrition.

When my Mom went thru chemo, my Dad blended everything from scrambled eggs to steak for her. She was nausus and her teeth hurt.

Its a lot easier to drink than to chew and swollow some days.

Specially when your stomach says 'no', but your body says 'yes'.

Sipping now and again will let you eat slowly and put much needed nutrition in you.

Just some ideas.

Now ME? Im gobbling down anything that doesnt run away. Ive got it bad.

I love those little blue pills.

love

don

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 4:18 PM

Hi Janet,Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I'm going to lose any weight with this treatment either. I actually feel more hungry than I did before! That is except for Wednesday, when I couldn't really eat much. Before my transplant when I was so horribly sick and couldn't eat, the only thing I could get down was Carnation Instant Breakfast, so I think I'll try that on the days I don't feel like eating.I have to test my blood sugar twice a day now too since the treatment can cause blood sugar to rise. It has been between 80 and 100 so far.Penny> > > > > > From: preciouspenny3 <preciouspenny3@ ...>> > > Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] One Down 47 To Go> > > To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com> > > Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:58 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi,> > > > > > I did my first shot tonight. So far, so good. It's only been a > > couple > > > of hours, though. My friend, who has done the treatment two times > > and > > > also has cirrhosis came over to help me with it, to give support, > > and > > > pray with me that everything will go well. Afterwards, we watched > a > > >

video of her jumping out of a plane when she went sky diving a > few > > > years ago. That was so cool! My brother and I always wanted to do > > > that, but we never did. I think my doctors would frown on that > now > > > after having a transplant.. .lol.> > > > > > We also took a lot of photos of the two of us afterwards. We just > > kind > > > of made a little fun party out of it. She will be helping me next > > week > > > and the week after too. My husband didn't even want to be in the > > same > > > room. He hates needles.> > > > > > I hope it all goes well with minimal side effects.> > > > > > Penny> > >> >>

Thats great to hear . 14 weeks and still working. I put a couch in my office and when I need to I lay down (well I have only done it once but will continue). I feel those same pains in the hips on both sides and they do hurt when I lay on them or get in and out of the car. I get tired every day by 5pm and I am in bed at 8:30. are you 1a? And if so since you are still on it at 14 weeks its going to work for you?

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 4:13 AM

Hi ,

I just started my 14 th week of treatment on Tuesday. I am still working full time also. I will admit I have days were it is so hard to get out of bed in the morning because my whole body hurts. I usually have most of the pain in my hips and legs. Some days it is very difficult to walk, now I was getting my shots in my legs and some one suggested to stay away from the legs and do my stomach. I tried it and it doesn't seem to make to much difference for me. I have had people look at me amazed that I am still working. I look at it this way what is the difference if I lay in bed in pain or go to work and be in pain. As soon as I get home from work I rest for awhile because I am so tired. I am also afraid of loosing my job for taking to much time off.

My doctor prescribed the procrit for me also but I can't get it, my insurance is giving me such a hard time, they don't cover it. I have been told that I would feel a lot more energy if I was able to get the procrit shots. They say the procrit shots can cause the same flu like symtoms ( aches and pains) as the interferon shots.

Tracey

I hear ya both,, I had that same severe body aches, hips, back thighs, shoulders etc,, seems that everything hurt while on tx.. but just remember that it wont last forever,, treatment has an ending and when you reach the finish line, you'll be so happy that you did it and so will your liver!

hugs

jax

From: Tracey Fenley <oct51966yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Friday, December 5, 2008, 4:13 AM

Hi ,

I just started my 14 th week of treatment on Tuesday. I am still working full time also. I will admit I have days were it is so hard to get out of bed in the morning because my whole body hurts. I usually have most of the pain in my hips and legs. Some days it is very difficult to walk, now I was getting my shots in my legs and some one suggested to stay away from the legs and do my stomach. I tried it and it doesn't seem to make to much difference for me. I have had people look at me amazed that I am still working. I look at it this way what is the difference if I lay in bed in pain or go to work and be in pain. As soon as I get home from work I rest for awhile because I am so tired. I am also afraid of loosing my job for taking to much time off.

My doctor prescribed the procrit for me also but I can't get it, my insurance is giving me such a hard time, they don't cover it. I have been told that I would feel a lot more energy if I was able to get the procrit shots. They say the procrit shots can cause the same flu like symtoms ( aches and pains) as the interferon shots.

Tracey

IM THRILLED that you are responding to treatment so quickly and you're right, you still should finish the 48 weeks to help raise your chances of SVR.. and since THATS the goal,

Your boyfriends sounds just like my hubby,, and we are very blessed indeed!

keep up the good work and keep us updated how things continue to go!

hugs,

jax

Subject: Re: One Down 47 To GoTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 5:14 AM

Hi ,

I am genotype 1. The doctor told me that the treatment is working. I am very lucky by week 4 it was undetechtable and still is. As far as I know i still have to do the full 48 weeks, I told the doctor I will do what ever it takes. I count the weeks down, it sounds better than how may weeks I have been doing the treatment. I believe the reason I responded so fast is that it was caught in the early stages. I used to be a blood doner for the red cross up till 2 years ago, last November I had major surgery done and exactly three months later I was hospitalized for a week with a major infection due to complications from the surgery, then three months later I was diagnosed with Hep C. My family is there for support but they don't understand. They keep asking if I am undetechtable then why must I do the full 48 weeks treatment? I tried to explain it to them that if I stop treatment to early it will come back and with

vengence. I took my mother to a local support group with me so she could understand a little more because she was all over me about getting off the sleeping pills how I am addicted to them. I told her I needed them, well she finally heard it from other people. My boyfriend has been the biggest support. I met him after I was diagnosed. I wasn't sure how he would handle it, but he told me he is with me for the long haul. I don't mean to go on about me, but it feels so nice to talk to other people that can actually relate to the daily tasks we face with pain, headaches and not being able to sleep at night and what ever else goes along with it.

Tracey