RemedySpot.com

Aspartame

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am so stupid sometimes I am so mad at myself. I quit smoking 4 years ago, and when I quit I did it by picking up a few other habits to replace the addiction, one was running at the time, now it is just exercise , but the other was chewing gum.

I found that it totally helped me with the cravings and gave me something to do with my mouth, I used to constantly suck on mints to have fresh breath being that in the course of the day at work I came into close contact with so many people, Dr's nurses and the public of course.

After I quit smoking I turned to the gum chewing thing, I tried so many different kinds, but was worried about my teeth, having so much dental work and chewing gum not a good combination, so I found the best gum, that had the longest lasting flavor and just chewed it stick after stick, all day long, sometimes all night long too, esp. when running to keep my mouth moist.

Well I have continued the gum habit and until yesterday was not even really thinking about the fact that it is sugarless gum so that it doesn't promote tooth decay, ha well of course it has aspartame in it.

I have been chewing this stuff constantly, for awhile I had backed off but lately I was back at it again at work I am known for always having a big pack of gum.

I wonder how much this has been affecting my healing and also just my health in general.

Needless to say it was rather stupid of me not to think of this sooner, but I just wasn't thinking about gum, so I have to kick the gum thing now, what a trip, I am seriously thinking that I may have been really hindering my healing as far as some of my remaining symptoms.

So for those of us who are gum chewers we may need to think again.

Now my question to anyone here on the group is what would be a safe alternative to gum? Is there such a thing as natural gum? or are there mints or something that I can use to keep a fresh mouth while I am at work, also I still have that need to put something in my mouth all the time, any suggestions? Ok and not something smart ass! HA HA HA,

Seriously this is an issue for me right now, I am really concerned about it? Sounds like I am probably going to be needing to do a cleansing fast soon here.

Thanks,

Now my question to anyone here on the group is what would be a safe alternative to gum? Is there such a thing as natural gum? or are there mints or something that I can use to keep a fresh mouth while I am at work, also I still have that need to put something in my mouth all the time, any suggestions? Ok and not something smart ass! HA HA HA.

I don't know of any natural gums offhand, but surely you can buy gum without aspartame, can't you? I don't buy it, so I am not sure what is out there.

In my house we seem to have a thing for Altoids, but they have sugar too. We keep a box in our car, so the only time we seem to eat them is when we are driving somewhere.

Hope you find something!

Patty

Safe alternatve to gum . . . and anything else!

You might check out self-hypnosis . . . . very

powerful stuff!

Program yourself to take three deep breaths whenever

you feel the need to -------.

Works like a charm!

Rogene

Rogene my dear I am able to go without it its more of something I enjoy and

I like fresh breath because I work with the public, I was wondering about

any alternatives, I suppose I will just use gum sparingly with sugar rather

than aspartame.

Thanks,

----- Original Message -----

< >

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:00 PM

Subject: Re: Aspartame

> Safe alternatve to gum . . . and anything else!

>

> You might check out self-hypnosis . . . . very

> powerful stuff!

>

> Program yourself to take three deep breaths whenever

> you feel the need to -------.

>

> Works like a charm!

>

> Rogene

>

> __________________________________________________

>

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

Hi all,

I decided to go to snopes.com and read what it said. While deriding that particular email it did say that it was not saying that aspartame was either safe or harmful. At the bottom of the page it gave links - for and against. After following the medline link and reading about some of the abstracts I was surprized to find out that there may be some truth to the matter of aspartame having negative health consequences..

Ed

wrote: Message: 1Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:08:13 -0000From: "freestonew" Subject: Re: Aspartame warning> I think it's generally a good idea to NOT pass on dire warnings received via > email until they are investigated thoroughly. Snopes.com is a great > resources for getting a good balanced overview of the truth of these emails. > Here's their page on this one:> > http://www.snopes.com/toxins/aspartam.htmAH!!a breath of fresh air: thanks for putting up the Urban ledgends mastersite url!http://www.snopes.comI always wandered what it was, i have not looked for awahile.I saved it, will go to read the site.In matters of food and health, tis very very Foggy out there!freestone

• 2 years later...

Terri Lynne Pomeroy wrote:

> I knew that aspartame is not good for you, but I hadn't heard details

> such

> as using it just once can cause long term difficulties for some

> people. Can

> you refer me to any literature or web sites with more information about

> aspartame or any of its family?

>

> Thanks much,

>

> Terri Lynne