RemedySpot.com

Re: Vomiting Blood

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

Varices would show up on all of the tests that were done - the episode also happened years ago. Anemia and low blood counts can be from other things, particularly celiac disease.

Chris

Sounds like you have varices , I hope they banded them ? And welcome to the group , we are glad to have you Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Ok, but why did he only have one episode years ago? If he had varices, wouldn't the bleeding show up more often? Also, varices with hep c shows up when folks have progressed to cirrhosis - his liver tests did not show cirrhosis or any advanced liver disease. Just because one has hep c does not mean that one episode of vomiting years ago means he has varices, does it?

chris

But with hep c patients it is usually esophageal varices . The other cause can be ruptured ulcers . And no esophageal varices don't show up on regular tests , it would take an esophageal scope to find them . If the blood was from below the stomach , say like from the intestines the blood would have come out like coffe grounds and not looking so much like blood . Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Well, you should know - never mentioned banding or other episodes.

Encephalopathy is also linked to other disorders besides hep c. I can see why you think that he has varices with some of his symptoms. His scan did not show cirrhosis though:

"They did an eco doppler on my liver and all the tests come back that my liver is healthy."

That is what I am going by - but again, as you have cirrhosis with varices, you are the expert on that end. I am the celiac/diet "expert" and all of the research that I have done points to celiac as the cause of all of his other problems, diabetes, migraines, brain fog, seizures, etc, particularly as he does not have cirrhosis:

Celiac disease may initially present as a neurological disorder. Alternatively, celiac disease may be complicated by neurological changes. With impaired nutrient absorption, different deficiency syndromes may occur and these may be manifested clinically with neurological changes. However, in patients with deficiency syndromes, extensive involvement of the small intestine with celiac disease is often evident. There are a number of reports of celiac disease associated with neuropathy, ataxia, dementia and seizure disorder.

http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten

Thanks Liz - that was a great explanation and a good point to bring up.

Chris

If , and that is if they were varices they could have been banded or treated with a betablocker to prevent further varices . And just cause blood work is good means nothing , trust me I have normal liver enzymes but have cirhosis . Also a change in life style could have reduced the reaccurance of varices . I was just asking him if that is what it was that caused him to throw up blood , just a question .His other symptoms sound so very much like encephlopathy that it is possible that in the past he did have varices . But until his doctor runs a blood ammonia level on him he will not know . Bleeding ulcers can also be what it was but unless I asked him about varices or ulcers I won't knowMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Sounds like you have varices , I hope they banded them ? And welcome to the group , we are glad to have you

Vomiting Blood

A few years ago, before I knew I had hep c, I was really weak. I couldn't walk. My wife got me to the hospital, I had an appt. for an eco doppler. I thought my blood sugar was real low so I drank a coke but I was still super weak. My wife called my best friend and he came a carried me to his car and took me home. I was in my waterbed and began throwing up in a trashcan. I got up and went toward the bathroom and threw up more in the hallway and it was obviously blood My wife called an ambulance and they took me to the hospital. Hemoglobin for a man should be 13-16 mine was 4. They gave me 5 units of red blood cells.Tita had to clean up all that blood. Thank God she didn´t have a cut on her hands. She wasn't infected. it gives me the creeps everytime I think about her cleaning up that blood. I have chronic pain with my headaches and migraines so I am constantly injecting myself with Nalbufina, it's like morphine. But I am super carful with my syringesand also my insulin syringes.

But with hep c patients it is usually esophageal varices . The other cause can be ruptured ulcers . And no esophageal varices don't show up on regular tests , it would take an esophageal scope to find them . If the blood was from below the stomach , say like from the intestines the blood would have come out like coffe grounds and not looking so much like blood .

Hi,

Varices would show up on all of the tests that were done - the episode also happened years ago. Anemia and low blood counts can be from other things, particularly celiac disease.

Chris

In a message dated 12/13/2008 2:48:32 P.M. Central Standard Time, elizabethnv1earthlink (DOT) net writes:

Sounds like you have varices , I hope they banded them ? And welcome to the group , we are glad to have you

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

If , and that is if they were varices they could have been banded or treated with a betablocker to prevent further varices . And just cause blood work is good means nothing , trust me I have normal liver enzymes but have cirhosis . Also a change in life style could have reduced the reaccurance of varices . I was just asking him if that is what it was that caused him to throw up blood , just a question .His other symptoms sound so very much like encephlopathy that it is possible that in the past he did have varices . But until his doctor runs a blood ammonia level on him he will not know . Bleeding ulcers can also be what it was but unless I asked him about varices or ulcers I won't know

Ok, but why did he only have one episode years ago? If he had varices, wouldn't the bleeding show up more often? Also, varices with hep c shows up when folks have progressed to cirrhosis - his liver tests did not show cirrhosis or any advanced liver disease. Just because one has hep c does not mean that one episode of vomiting years ago means he has varices, does it?

chris

In a message dated 12/13/2008 3:36:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, elizabethnv1earthlink (DOT) net writes:

But with hep c patients it is usually esophageal varices . The other cause can be ruptured ulcers . And no esophageal varices don't show up on regular tests , it would take an esophageal scope to find them . If the blood was from below the stomach , say like from the intestines the blood would have come out like coffe grounds and not looking so much like blood .

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

It was 2 bleeding ulcers . they were caused by taking too many pain pills for my migraines.

They kept me in the hospital for two weeks and the ulcers were scarring over. I had two endoscopies

Now they give me a med that prevents stomach problems. I have constant pain I maybe have one or two days per year without pain.

Besides my pain meds i take 24 pills per day plus 1 fish oil capsule plus two insulin shots

Tony Carlson

Sunt Lacrimae Rerum... Virgil

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:14:19 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

If , and that is if they were varices they could have been banded or treated with a betablocker to prevent further varices . And just cause blood work is good means nothing , trust me I have normal liver enzymes but have cirhosis . Also a change in life style could have reduced the reaccurance of varices . I was just asking him if that is what it was that caused him to throw up blood , just a question .His other symptoms sound so very much like encephlopathy that it is possible that in the past he did have varices . But until his doctor runs a blood ammonia level on him he will not know . Bleeding ulcers can also be what it was but unless I asked him about varices or ulcers I won't know

Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

chris

In a message dated 12/13/2008 3:36:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, elizabethnv1@ earthlink. net writes:

Thanks Janet, but Tony already responded that it was caused by stomach ulcers from pain meds. Liz is the "expert" when it comes to varices for sure, but it just didn't sound right, especially as he had a doppler scan of his liver.

And you are right, diagnosis's like that should be left up to a doctor!

Take care,

Chris

Ya know that is one, to ask a doctor, I mean it could happen. But Let me ask my doctor or maybe Jackie can ask her doctor who has a great relationship with her.

Love

JanetMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Ouch , I am sure by now that you have changed your diet to help with the ulcers . I am sorry to hear your in so much pain though . You should be on long acting pain meds if you can that way it cuts back on what you have to digest . Are you taking milk thistle ? I don't but I hear wonderful stuff about it .

chris

In a message dated 12/13/2008 3:36:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, elizabethnv1@ earthlink. net writes:

Milk thistle is a plant that is made into a suppliment and has many health benifits . Here is a little portion of an artlie that goes into detail what the health benifits are :

Health benefits

Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), and gallbladder disorders. The active compound in Milk thistle is silymarin, a mixture of at least 4 closely related flavonolignans, 60% to 70% of which is a mixture of 2 diastereomers of silybin. Silymarin is typically administered in amount ranging from 200-500mg per day. Whether or not these dosages are optimal is not known; no scientific data on which to base effective dosage level guidelines is available.

Research into the biological activity of silymarin and its possible medical uses has been conducted in many countries since the 1970s, but the quality of the research has been uneven.[1]

A review of studies of silymarin and liver disease which are available on the web shows an interesting pattern in that studies which tested low dosages of silymarin concluded that silymarin was ineffective[4], while studies which used significantly larger doses concluded that silymarin was biologically active and had therapeutic effects.[5]

Beside benefits for liver disease and treatment claims include:

Used as a post (oral steroid) cycle therapy for body builders Lowering cholesterol levels Reducing insulin resistance in people with type 2 diabetes who also have cirrhosis Reducing the growth of cancer cells in breast, cervical, and prostate cancers.[6] Used in many products claiming to reduce the effects of a hangover

chris

Good answer Liz.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:14:19 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

chris

That makes sense.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:53:27 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

It was 2 bleeding ulcers . they were caused by taking too many pain pills for my migraines.

They kept me in the hospital for two weeks and the ulcers were scarring over. I had two endoscopies

Now they give me a med that prevents stomach problems. I have constant pain I maybe have one or two days per year without pain.

Besides my pain meds i take 24 pills per day plus 1 fish oil capsule plus two insulin shots

Tony Carlson

From: elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@ earthlink. net>To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:14:19 PMSubject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

chris

I had a small duodenal ulcer that gave me great pain , it started after they started me on long acting oromorph ( morphine) for the remaining pain I ended up with after treatment. My doc put me on a PPI which I'd already been on but he doubled my dose and it took nearly a year to get it healed.

What kind of pain meds were you taking? Im wondering if there is a bigger relationship between pain meds and ulcers than we know..

Subject: Re: Vomiting BloodTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 2:53 PM

Tony Carlson

From: elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@ earthlink. net>To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:14:19 PMSubject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

chris

I am just getting here , didnt even turn on the computer yesterday,, and so IM reading everything in reverse and it does make sense with the ulcers from pain meds..

Subject: Re: Vomiting BloodTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 7:52 PM

Ya know that is one, to ask a doctor, I mean it could happen. But Let me ask my doctor or maybe Jackie can ask her doctor who has a great relationship with her.

Love

Janet

Frederick Faber

From: "smalk50aol (DOT) com" <smalk50aol (DOT) com>To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:06:47 PMSubject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

chris

Well Liz is our Chief research officer here.

I asked her back when I first asked her to be a moderator/owner.

I pretty much trust her advice and research.

*smile*

Janet

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:55:44 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

Thanks Janet, but Tony already responded that it was caused by stomach ulcers from pain meds. Liz is the "expert" when it comes to varices for sure, but it just didn't sound right, especially as he had a doppler scan of his liver.

And you are right, diagnosis's like that should be left up to a doctor!

Take care,

Chris

In a message dated 12/13/2008 9:52:25 P.M. Central Standard Time, doc_jadeyahoo (DOT) com writes:

Love

Janet

i took a lt of pain meds for my chronic migraine pain. I have had continuous pain for 6 months or longer.Now I have more effective pain medication but at that time i wwas taking cafergot. It'sa miracle that I didn't have ergotamine poisoning I was taking ten tablets a day. You are only supposed to take two tablets a week.If I could be healed from one of my health problems I would choose migraines instead of Hep C I have had migraines since I was 13 years old. I broke my elbow in a skating accident. after taking an x-ray the Dr rushed to give me morphine saying that I was probably in serious pain. and I thought not really a migraine is ten times worse than this ut they never offer me morhine when i go to the er with a migraine. I was on a medical journal site and found a way to suicide that i stuck in the back of my mind "just in case"

Tony Carlson

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:02:02 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

I am just getting here , didnt even turn on the computer yesterday,, and so IM reading everything in reverse and it does make sense with the ulcers from pain meds..

From: Janet <doc_jadeyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting BloodTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 7:52 PM

Love

Janet

Frederick Faber

From: "smalk50aol (DOT) com" <smalk50aol (DOT) com>To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:06:47 PMSubject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

chris

I was taking lots of meds for my different medical conditions about 30 pills a day then about ten cafergot on top of the others. It was just too much for my stomach to handle. All my Drs are trying to cut down my meds I only take 24 per day now plus apill that rotects the stomach lining. Now i am using ibuprophen which is easier on the stomach and Darvon which doesn´t cause me any stomach trouble and I tak A synthetic mophine called nalbufina which has the same pain relief as morphine but without the euforia and It has a low risk for abuse I've been using it for about 3 years daaaily and i have no withdrawal if I run out for a few days. It is great because if my pain is really bad i can use the darvon and the nalbufina together and some ibuprfen also and it calms the worst of my pain. The only problem is that the darvon is free from the social securitybut the ibuprfen and nalbufina we have to pay for them. I'm too sick to work

anymore. Well i teach 1 hour a day. My wife has a little business where she sels aspecial mexican dish called Mole People go to her shop to eat or they take it out. But we earn pesos and pesos don't stretch like dollars.

Tony Carlson

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:57:30 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

I had a small duodenal ulcer that gave me great pain , it started after they started me on long acting oromorph ( morphine) for the remaining pain I ended up with after treatment. My doc put me on a PPI which I'd already been on but he doubled my dose and it took nearly a year to get it healed.

What kind of pain meds were you taking? Im wondering if there is a bigger relationship between pain meds and ulcers than we know..

From: Carlson <anthonyraycarlsonga tesyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting BloodTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 2:53 PM

It was 2 bleeding ulcers .. they were caused by taking too many pain pills for my migraines.

Tony Carlson

chris

I love chicken mole.It is so good.

There are people here in San that is how they make their side money, and sometimes for some of the older folks it is how they supplement their income.

They make meals and then box them up and sell them. One of Dean's co-workers' Mom makes the chicken mole. Oh my lord, it is delish.

We also have others that make breakfast tacos, (think this is a Texas thing, since I never saw it in Oklahoma). And we have alot of mexican's in Oklahoma.

Too bad you and your wife live all the way down in Mexico, because I would increase those pesos just by getting all my friends to buy your wife's mole. I bet it is good.

Love

Janet

Frederick Faber

To: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:15:01 PMSubject: Re: Vomiting Blood

I was taking lots of meds for my different medical conditions about 30 pills a day then about ten cafergot on top of the others. It was just too much for my stomach to handle. All my Drs are trying to cut down my meds I only take 24 per day now plus apill that rotects the stomach lining. Now i am using ibuprophen which is easier on the stomach and Darvon which doesn´t cause me any stomach trouble and I tak A synthetic mophine called nalbufina which has the same pain relief as morphine but without the euforia and It has a low risk for abuse I've been using it for about 3 years daaaily and i have no withdrawal if I run out for a few days. It is great because if my pain is really bad i can use the darvon and the nalbufina together and some ibuprfen also and it calms the worst of my pain. The only problem is that the darvon is free from the social securitybut the ibuprfen and nalbufina we have to pay for them. I'm too sick to work

anymore. Well i teach 1 hour a day. My wife has a little business where she sels aspecial mexican dish called Mole People go to her shop to eat or they take it out. But we earn pesos and pesos don't stretch like dollars.

Tony Carlson

From: Jackie on <redjaxjmyahoo (DOT) com>To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:57:30 PMSubject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting Blood

From: Carlson <anthonyraycarlsonga tesyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] Vomiting BloodTo: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Saturday, December 13, 2008, 2:53 PM

It was 2 bleeding ulcers .. they were caused by taking too many pain pills for my migraines.

Tony Carlson

chris