New to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone

Just found out in November that I have Hep C. I'm just now accepting

it really. I still wake up in the middle of the night, wondering

how, when, where I got it.

I go in for the biopsy on Decmeber 3oth and worry about how it will

go. I don't know anyone who went through that to talk to. My Dr.

just says I have to do it and that's that.

I am still waiting for the paper copies of my tests. The nurse told

me I have genome type 2, which she says is very fortunate as there is

a better chance of the treatment working.

This past year I've been doing all this stuff to get in

shape....working out, dieting, walking etc..so I was really looking

forward to my blood test results. When they said ...you have Hep C I

couldn't believe it! What the heck???

Also, I hear the treatment can be a bear...and I wonder how I mention

this at work. Do I tell them what I have? Will I be able to work?

So many questions...and then there is fear. I don't want to get

depressed, so am also trying to think of ways to head that off.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Kind regards

hiiii . 1st off, take a deep breath. it's ok. i am also a gt2 and

have been on treatment (tx) for 5 weeks. those of us with gn2 are

considered the lucky ones because the treatment is half as long (24

weeks) and the success rate is better (over 80%). i was expecting the

treatment to be a lot worse then it has been and i planned for it for a

year by saving my money to take time off of work, stocking up on movies

so i could watch them in bed and saying goodbye to friends and family

for 6 months but as it turns out after the 1st shot it just hasn't been

that bad. there's really no reason i can't work now i have all these

movies that i have to make time to watch. there are a lot of doctors

appointments and blood test but that can be fit into a work schedual.

there is a chance that treatment may be hard on you so you have to

consider that. doctors are quick to write disability letters but i

would wait to tell your employer anything untill it is really needed.

you'll be ok and WELCOME!

hi

Sorry to see you here, but glad you made it.

Dont be afraid.

This is just about the best place in groups to hang.

Theres everybody here from me,[the black sheep] to [the scientist].

Folks in all stages of treatment too, from untreated to post TP.

If you cant get your answers here, I dont know what to tell you.

We are a family, bent on killing the dragon[hep c].

We all wecome you to join us.

love

don in kansas

Subject: New to the groupTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 12:06 PM

Hi everyoneJust found out in November that I have Hep C. I'm just now accepting it really. I still wake up in the middle of the night, wondering how, when, where I got it. I go in for the biopsy on Decmeber 3oth and worry about how it will go. I don't know anyone who went through that to talk to. My Dr. just says I have to do it and that's that. I am still waiting for the paper copies of my tests. The nurse told me I have genome type 2, which she says is very fortunate as there is a better chance of the treatment working. This past year I've been doing all this stuff to get in shape....working out, dieting, walking etc..so I was really looking forward to my blood test results. When they said ...you have Hep C I couldn't believe it! What the heck???Also, I hear the treatment can be a bear...and I wonder how I mention this at work. Do I tell them what I have? Will I be able to work? So

many questions... and then there is fear. I don't want to get depressed, so am also trying to think of ways to head that off.Anyway, thanks for listening.Kind regards

hi, mary my name is joyceann and i have type 2 i allredy did the treatment and yr nurse is right it is the easiet to treat, what i have found is there is a treatment for any sympton you may encounter, the nights staying awake, the anxiety, the mood swings , i belive that the mood swings are the most common, the biopsy is painless i was so scared and afraid and a few members on this group pretty much walked me thru it and i made it thru it,are you single? do you have choldren? just wondering what kind of a support system, you have, i found when i di start treatment after i did the first couple of shots, i had it down everyfri night same time just like the riba pills twice a day everyday 12 hrs aprt, lots of water etc, pls let us know what happens when you get the lab results, and you will be fine, best wishes xoxox McFarlin wrote: Hi everyoneJust found out in November that I have Hep C. I'm just now accepting it really. I still wake up in the middle of the night, wondering how, when, where I got it. I go in for the biopsy on Decmeber 3oth and worry about how it will go. I don't know anyone who went through that to talk to. My Dr. just says I have to do it and that's that. I am still waiting for the paper copies of my tests. The nurse told me I have genome type 2, which she says is very fortunate as there is a better chance of the treatment working. This past year I've been doing all this stuff to get in

shape....working out, dieting, walking etc..so I was really looking forward to my blood test results. When they said ...you have Hep C I couldn't believe it! What the heck???Also, I hear the treatment can be a bear...and I wonder how I mention this at work. Do I tell them what I have? Will I be able to work? So many questions...and then there is fear. I don't want to get depressed, so am also trying to think of ways to head that off.Anyway, thanks for listening.Kind regards

Allot of people can work during treatment and have no problems except for mild flu symptoms. I think that is why most do their shots on Friday nights that way come Monday they feel almost new ..and yes genotype 2 is the best to have . For one treatment length is half of what other geno's have to treat , so you will be treating 24 weeks . Genotype 1's treat 48 weeks . Also genotype 2's have a much higher rate of a sustained viralogical response (svr) , which is a 0 viral load for 6 months after the end of treatment . So you have excellent chances or becoming viral load clear . Anyway welcome to the group and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them , that is what we are here for . Your not alone here .....

New to the group

Hi everyoneJust found out in November that I have Hep C. I'm just now accepting it really. I still wake up in the middle of the night, wondering how, when, where I got it. I go in for the biopsy on Decmeber 3oth and worry about how it will go. I don't know anyone who went through that to talk to. My Dr. just says I have to do it and that's that. I am still waiting for the paper copies of my tests. The nurse told me I have genome type 2, which she says is very fortunate as there is a better chance of the treatment working. This past year I've been doing all this stuff to get in shape....working out, dieting, walking etc..so I was really looking forward to my blood test results. When they said ...you have Hep C I couldn't believe it! What the heck???Also, I hear the treatment can be a bear...and I wonder how I mention this at work. Do I tell them what I have? Will I be able to work? So many questions...and then there is fear. I don't want to get depressed, so am also trying to think of ways to head that off.Anyway, thanks for listening.Kind regards

Some people continue to work and some can't.

I am going to continue to work, but my boss is putting me on a desk job. I can't do the standing and walking while on treatment.

Will tell you that while I was on treatment, the thing that bother me the most was on the next day after my shot. I was pretty wore out, and just felt like dog doo doo the next day. But as the days progressed. It got better.

That was the second treatment with pegasy and co pegasy.

When I treated with the peg intron and rebetrol well that made me

pretty sick. 1st treatment.

Anyway I am going to treat again, going for my 2nd biopsy on Jan.

7th,2009.

So maybe we will do treatment together.

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

Subject: New to the groupTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 12:06 PM

Hi everyoneJust found out in November that I have Hep C. I'm just now accepting it really. I still wake up in the middle of the night, wondering how, when, where I got it. I go in for the biopsy on Decmeber 3oth and worry about how it will go. I don't know anyone who went through that to talk to. My Dr. just says I have to do it and that's that. I am still waiting for the paper copies of my tests. The nurse told me I have genome type 2, which she says is very fortunate as there is a better chance of the treatment working. This past year I've been doing all this stuff to get in shape....working out, dieting, walking etc..so I was really looking forward to my blood test results. When they said ...you have Hep C I couldn't believe it! What the heck???Also, I hear the treatment can be a bear...and I wonder how I mention this at work. Do I tell them what I have? Will I be able to work? So

many questions... and then there is fear. I don't want to get depressed, so am also trying to think of ways to head that off.Anyway, thanks for listening.Kind regards

Hi mary,

welcome to the group hon,, you're in the right place! I remember when I got diagnosed it was most definately a shock altho I KNEW where and when I'd gotten it.. I had a blood transfusion when I had my first child who turned 30 this last halloween.. But listen, some people never find out for sure where they got this virus, and its not as important to know HOW you got it or WHERE you got it but WHAT ARE YOU going to do NOW about it..

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction with improving your health, diet exercise etc,, thats really good.

Treatment IS DOABLE,, that I can tell you.. Yeah, it can be hard but you can do it! Can you work? well everyone is different,, I know many who could and some like me who couldnt .. I was a 911 paramedic and that was very physical and emotional job and when I became so anemic, I couldnt keep up physically so I knew that I had to stop working, I sure didnt want to cause anyone to die because I couldnt move quick enough, or carry someone up a hill or couldnt make good decisions quickly.. but as I said, everyone is different and you may not have any trouble with working while on tx..

The Interferon can deplete the seretonin in your brain and THAT CAN CAUSE depression and insomnia so many people go on a antidepressant (SSRI) while on tx and there are many other meds that you can use while on tx to control side effects.. so as I said, its doable..

We'll be here to help too, you're NOT alone..

Once again, welcome to the group hon,,

jax

Subject: New to the groupTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone!

I do plan to keep working and hope to start treatment as soon as I can. I live in Chicago and my Hepotolgist is out of Northwestern. Northwestern is currently doing a study that he said I should get in on, with a new drug used in additon to the Riba and Interferon. He didn't tell me what the drug is but said the results are looking very positive. Kind of spooky though, since there is no way to know what these do to you in the long run.

I've been trying find out what I can do to help myself along as far as diet and there doesn't seem to be too much info on that. Also, my internal medicine guy said I should be taking Vitamin D...but now I'm afraid to do it until I get to talk to the Hepotologist.

Thanks for all your kind support!